March 29, 2024, 01:28:28 AM

Author Topic: Best SSFL team you ever witness.  (Read 18222 times)

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Best SSFL team you ever witness.
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
Arazi dat St. Anthony's team was a bomb squad.

I started CIC in 95 and Anthony's had rahim, nigel pierre on d squad dat year fuh real.

Their other stars besides Carlos and Ethan Stewart when they won were Marcus Rodriguez, Sean Cooper, Jermaine ( a real good keeper ). They also had an indian fella playing left or right back that was solid too.I think one of the Westfield brothers from Malick went to Anthony's but i not sure if its that yr or 98.

CIC 96 team. This is the yr school football got cancelled due to teachers striking. Our team had players like
Chello, Richard Santana, Zane O'Brien, Mathew Camacho, Cambridge, Leslie 'Tiger' Fitzpatrick.

Benedicts team in 97 and 98 were good also

Spann, Lyndon Diaz, 'Ice', Cornwall, Alpheus benjamin, Arazi (strong possibility its the forumite), Toussaint, Dia Hunte

St. Anthony's 02 team was playing like a ranked NCAA Div 1 team. Was a serious bomb squad.

QRC 97 with marco and co. was a bomb squad also.

Eldo 01 team with Wiltshire, bevin, Abede was a big team too.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2008, 06:22:18 AM »
'66
Benedict's ; Fatima ; QRC
A tie
Intercol between CIC and QRC around '69 in de Oval

when my brother and me came out de oval into ah pack ah QRC men and day rip meh CIC T Shirt off one time. de one I had painted myself for the occasion....it must have been Mango Chow :devil:

:rotfl:  Nah, Dred, nah.  Notatall!!  Ah tell yuh I eh have no hate fuh Saints, man..........but on de odder hand....if ah needed a quick sumting to blow meh nose........ :devil: 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2008, 07:47:36 AM »

St. Anthony's 02 team was playing like a ranked NCAA Div 1 team. Was a serious bomb squad.

I eh no bout that.  It eh have no high school team, none in trini that beating a ranked NCAA Div 1 team.  Not happening...
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2008, 09:59:05 AM »

I eh no bout that.  It eh have no high school team, none in trini that beating a ranked NCAA Div 1 team.  Not happening...

But each and every player from that squad either play college ball or in the national set up now. from the keeper-( Jan Michael Williams) to the subs. It would be hard to find a player from that team that didnt go to college for ball or otherwise. That team was assembled and created eh. Just like a college team. In the starting line up, I think maybe 1 or2 persons orginally from the school.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »

Unless man was mistaking Rhett Mitchell for Sherwood??

Right, right it was Rhett...I know it had a big player. Tha's my brethren too, I cah believe I 4get the man. Thank you there
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »

check the squad. u sure they couldnt compete?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »

check the squad. u sure they couldnt compete?

Leh we defiine beat and compete.  Are you referring to that team taking on a D1 college team in '92 or today?  If you are saying today, then I would agree with you.  But back in 02, I would say that is madness.

I does read where men say how College League team in trini could beat a D1 ranked team and thing but that not happening.  The kids in D1 way too physical for our players.  When I first played in college, the physical nature and speed of the game was difficult to adapt to.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2008, 08:40:34 AM »

the 2002 anthony's squad was an advantage side tho...that side hit qrc 8 home AND away - i was so glad i had stay home both days then
that side had kenwyne, julius, khalil mathura, roderick anthony, steve sealy, christopher sam..they had so much players neaves used to ride pine all kinda thing...they hit p/town 6 in the intercol final that year

it wasnt ptown. it was naps... i's a naps man but i cant let ptown take the fall for that one.

i remember when we fill up the maxi and dem to go watch that game. and when we get there we was amazed by the size of them st. anthony's men. it was like men against boys... not good times.

but when we were down by plenty, we keeper shai prescod was on wildness and hit a man a spanner in we own penalty box. we get onn mad for dat but that was about it

according to ah pardner de bad part was dat we did done rebuild already when we collect dat licks lol

but the best teams i see was Benedicts and Signal Hill late 80's
PTown and Malick early 90's
too bad ah never get to see Naps play after 2000  :'(
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2008, 09:40:55 AM »
Men mention some real bomb squads here boy.
But without a doubt .... Sando Tech with Latas, Faustin, Sutton, Dexter Gill, and them boys was the bestest ever. After them they ban the Technical schools from the league.
Anybody could remember all the fellas on that Sando Squad?
It was a who's who in dem days.
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2008, 11:34:35 AM »
Who ever saw Ivan Sampson play ? I think both him and Anthony Sherwood was de best I saw personally at my school time. (Dwight Yorke apart).
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
Who ever saw Ivan Sampson play ? I think both him and Anthony Sherwood was de best I saw personally at my school time. (Dwight Yorke apart).

Sherwood and Sampson were really good but I only saw highlights of their games on TV (news).  I did not get to much opportunity to see a lot of south zone games apart from Sando Tech.

The best players I actually saw live for intercol was Latapy, Yorke, Kona Hislop, sterlin Smith, Nixon, Dwarika, Mickey Trotman and Stern John.  There were alot of really good players but those that I mentioned really stood out for me

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2008, 12:01:47 PM »
Two of the finest I've ever seen. Both legends at their respective schools.

I was in primary school when these two were going at it for Benedicts and Pres respectively. I sat next to the brother of Benedicts skipper in class - along with some othermen who had Benedicts as their first choice for Common Entrance, so the stories I used to get from them always had a fairytale slant to it. On the other hand I always wanted to go to Pres, so going to Skinner Park to see these teams square off in Intercol was like going to the World Cup Finals.

Those two also had some remarkable goalkeepers tending. Benedicts has Neverson (spelling??); Pres had Allahar.

Remember one time in the park, Sherwood had his shirt ripped to pieces. Pres ended up winning that game - and also, depending on who won, you'd see supporters of the losing team in tears at Library corner. Passion ran deep in those days. Flags and banners would burn, stands would be rocking, rhythm sections would be firing out one mischievous ditty after the next. Girls. Girls from all schools, from all over. Not even 2-8 in the original Johnny Soong establishment, The Club, had more girls than Intercol.

Good part to the story is those fellas all went to Benedicts, and I went on to Pres ... and still up to this day, we're good friends.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2008, 05:42:19 PM »
P TOWN 2001 inter col team was a very good one...That year they finished 3rd in the league..but lost in the south inter col finals against naps...they then beat el dorado on pks...beat st.anthonys, and beat naps in the national finals..then they played the champs of champs and beat scarborough they beat all the no.1 teams from the different zones except central zone..they played some exciting football during the inter col...who could remember..share some input....

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2008, 05:47:08 PM »
P TOWN 2001 inter col team was a very good one...That year they finished 3rd in the league..but lost in the south inter col finals against naps...they then beat el dorado on pks...beat st.anthonys, and beat naps in the national finals..then they played the champs of champs and beat scarborough they beat all the no.1 teams from the different zones except central zone..they played some exciting football during the inter col...who could remember..share some input....

Allyuh had a bomb squad the year allyuh inherit 3 Ex-Pres players.
'member that one??
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline the boss

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »
Lol.. look at teams na...

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
Two of the finest I've ever seen. Both legends at their respective schools.

I was in primary school when these two were going at it for Benedicts and Pres respectively. I sat next to the brother of Benedicts skipper in class - along with some othermen who had Benedicts as their first choice for Common Entrance, so the stories I used to get from them always had a fairytale slant to it. On the other hand I always wanted to go to Pres, so going to Skinner Park to see these teams square off in Intercol was like going to the World Cup Finals.

Those two also had some remarkable goalkeepers tending. Benedicts has Neverson (spelling??); Pres had Allahar.

Remember one time in the park, Sherwood had his shirt ripped to pieces. Pres ended up winning that game - and also, depending on who won, you'd see supporters of the losing team in tears at Library corner. Passion ran deep in those days. Flags and banners would burn, stands would be rocking, rhythm sections would be firing out one mischievous ditty after the next. Girls. Girls from all schools, from all over. Not even 2-8 in the original Johnny Soong establishment, The Club, had more girls than Intercol.

Good part to the story is those fellas all went to Benedicts, and I went on to Pres ... and still up to this day, we're good friends.

allahar was after sherwood time, emile played with avery.

In sherwood time the keepres were kent parris, gregory mitchell and patrick campbell.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »
How about St. Benedict's of the late 60's era?  SOUTH RULES!!!!

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2008, 04:15:45 PM »
Israel yuh smoke some bad weed or wha? Ah intercol team could ever run with a ranked Div 1 team? Yuh mad. I see former national youth players have to adjust dey game, start lifting weights, running more than they ever run in dey life to compete with de college goons in de US. Intercol is still u19 right? Anybody that could show me how 17 and 18 yr old skilful but lazy trinis could beat or seriously compete with a u25 amercian division 1 ranked athletes ah will give dem mih next paycheck. Ah waitin. Thanks
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2008, 06:19:16 PM »
Israel yuh smoke some bad weed or wha? Ah intercol team could ever run with a ranked Div 1 team? Yuh mad. I see former national youth players have to adjust dey game, start lifting weights, running more than they ever run in dey life to compete with de college goons in de US. Intercol is still u19 right? Anybody that could show me how 17 and 18 yr old skilful but lazy trinis could beat or seriously compete with a u25 amercian division 1 ranked athletes ah will give dem mih next paycheck. Ah waitin. Thanks
How about a U17 provincial team, beating a NASL team(with Pele making ah guest appearance), with 2 Trini (1 score 2)who couldn't make they 1st 11 highschool team. Yuh rent paid, yuh eat ah food, cause me doh want to vragrantize yuh eh..buh in football yuh never know

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »
ah see some big names and teams get call on this thread...but if we talking about best team...Sando tech hands down. i wud follow that up with signal hill with dwight, colvin etc.

there were some outstanding teams over the years and ah must give mention to them:
Nixon gustine team; Arima with Trotty; the st. anthonys team that came up from 2nd division to compete in the first division and remained there ever since (a young ricky, doldron, wise, miguel, gullop); malick had 2 classic teams, the first with arnold and the second with mavin, hardest, amuffin, barry swift (the second squad had nothing on the first); mucurapo with clauzel and the mucurapo squad with clint marcelle; st. benedicts with ivan (although the squad with glen and webb was tears too); presentation with a young sherwood and daniel quashie as skipper and company; QRC with cheeky, leacock, kerry escaye; st. marys' with kevin moze (wat a general); belmont with the most underrated intercol team probably to ever win it. that team with ian christmas, marvin joseph, anton pierre, colin roberts (one of trinidad's best technically gifted wingers to ever pass through SSFL...shame he never saw much of the national team).

now if we talking teams, them is the squads that stood out for me. schools like st. anthonys and CIC had plenty good players that pass through but sometimes, depending on the era, they didnt have the kinda talent around them to compete with the teams mentioned above. i see someone talk about the st. anthonys team with rahim and croc...they had probably 5 outstanding players that could turn a match for u (including coombs in goal who saved there ass many a games). the St. marys' squad from 96 was similarily built as the st. anthonys squad. ah must mention fellas like marvin oliver from San Juan who almost broke woodley record the year he rip up....big player but he wasnt surrounded by the quality that the teams up above had. also hector sam, rhett mitchell, cornell glen, martin robertson, jason and colin rocke, kevin barrow, ike juran, kevin jefferies,stern and marlon minguel (both trinity and gustine) as some of the best i saw at that level...in big game situations.

talking about that trinity squad, ah must say that i have seen first hand what not having the proper infrustructure in place cud do to a school team. it have some names i cud call for u fellas but you all wudnt know them, real real ballers, who either died from running the streets or get caught up in the hard life, but names you may know would be minguel, brent sancho, errol mcfarlane, kevin walker, richard santana etc. this team had an abundance of talent and not having a good coach and the school not totally behind the program resulted in its demise....wat a dam shame!!!! :beermug: :beermug:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:29:27 AM by fordy »
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2008, 11:43:15 AM »
so cause i was born in the eightees i would never see ah good intercol game????

Ah sorry to break it to yuh but yes..... :devil:  ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sanchez

• Full Warrior
  • Numero Diez por siempre
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2008, 11:45:26 AM »
Presentation (San F'do) in 1996 had a wicked squad. Had a keeper that was converted to a striker that season, and he rain goals on other teams. Too bad the season was officially suspended in the middle of season due to the teachers' strike.
That year however, an un-official Intercol of sorts was conducted, and most of the team continued to play.
Pres came away unofficial Nat'l Champs that year.

My favourite squad from Pres is the 93 squad that Avery John skippered. In South Intercol, beat Naps 3-0. We scored in the last min of regulation time with a curling corner vs Benedicts and ended up beating them on penalties. Then Avery Score the winner from a PK vs. Ike Jurwan led Princes Town in the finals. Eventually got beat by Signal Hill in the National Semis.  

Saw lots of Benedicts and Pres while in primary school up to 91, and those teams starred Ivan Sampson and Anthony Sherwood respectively. During that time, also witnessed the St. Benedict's vs. Arima debacle in Skinner Park, when the crowd invaded the pitch and the game was called off.

From the North when regional intercol started, St. Anthony's always seemed to have a good squad in the mid-late 90s.  

1993 was a good year for Pres.....they had nuff licks to get from Naps though, if the ref wasn't such a fricking thiefing son-of-a-gun.  The first goal, ah man from Naps hit ah bicycle an the closest man (Rigobelto) was about 10 feet away, the ref called free kick right outside the area...Avery score...all fall down after dat.  Bout 2 minutes before that...Napsman (Sanowar) had a sitter and shoot it wide...anyway...Pres get some licks from Signal Hill...which was good.

1]; } ?>