April 28, 2024, 09:16:37 PM

Author Topic: Who hear about the scandal at Power 102 this week?  (Read 24290 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who hear about the scandal at Power 102 this week?
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2008, 04:11:22 AM »
Swima, Manning could pull this stunt here in T&T cuz he know we would just bend over and take it and doh say nutten.  Leave it friggin so....we like it so!!!...

This remind me of when SAUTT was first set up...we eh say nutten.  To this day and I stand to be corrected, SAUTT reports to the Min. of Nat'l Security but there IS NOTHING IN OUR LAWS OR CONSTITUION TO ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN!!!...

But leave it so, we like it friggin so!!

Brownsugar, nah... as someone looking on with an outsider's perspective I am often amazed at some of the things that the government, and Manning personally is faulted for.  Imagine dat li'l baby died last week and people were blaming the gov't for not ponying up the $300k to send her to John's Hopkins... we have the ultimate welfare state mentality.  We expect gov't to do everything for us... perhaps in part because we've become use to it.

The media here in the US is very critical of the government, but respectful of the offices, even if they have little personal respect for the office holder.  Our public officials deserve some blame for eliding over the differences between the two, but members of the media are also professionals and should conduct themselves accordingly.  The nonsensical gramma and reporting that we pick apart here online is symptomatic of a larger regression in journalistic standards.  The liberties taken by some of our journalists is so startling to me that I'm surprised that they aren't called out on it more often.  There's such a thing as professional standards and responsibilities, and if this helps the media be reminded of that then it's all for a greater good.

B&S no Government would be in the position to pay for all the people that require expensive procedures in order to live or fix a debilitating problem.
The thing is that the PNM (even though a lot of money is spent on social programmes) has an image now of being uncaring and arrogant.
So the 2 issues together makes good hate fodder.
For instance when I was back home 4wks ago Alleyne had the child and mother on his program begging for money.
A lot of people responded and he also asked the GOTT for help.
The only time a public statement was made was after the child died and it was an emotionless statement of fact by the minister (the ceiling set for assistance is 60K TT).
Of course the media and bleeding hearts would pounce on this, (i for one felt hurt about the baby's death).
Maybe a "caring" government would have come out earlier and explained it's case and offer some kind of alternative.
Now that coupled with the PM going to a radio station to complain about a couple of jokers is worrisome.
One would think that our esteemed PM is above that kind off reaction or he just does not and should not have time to waste on issues like that. A quiet word to his minister to talk to the station may have sufficed and taken the issue away from the public domain.
Which leads us to another question alltogether and that is his judgement and how he deals with situations , maybe he is not as calculating as most people believe and tends to let his emotions take control, one would not expect this from probabaly the seasoned politician in the Caribbean.
So people are disrepectfull of the office but the office holder must also restrain himself and be shown as someone with integrity.
That sadly was not the case here.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2008, 05:01:34 AM »

Which leads us to another question alltogether and that is his judgement and how he deals with situations , maybe he is not as calculating as most people believe and tends to let his emotions take control, one would not expect this from probabaly the seasoned politician in the Caribbean.

This is where I am coming from. We have seen this theme among other members of Parliament in the past. We remember when the Gordon/Panday saga was taking place how much else came to light. Excessive spending on several projects and the use of the Singapore model as a fast track to developed status. How much of this sounding like nowadays. I seeing things or what? Allyuh go hadda put me in St. Ann's cuz I really feel like I going mad when I start to think about this shit.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2008, 06:02:19 AM »

Manning: I am going to the courts next time
-JB

Friday, November 7th 2008

Prime Minister Patrick Manning says he has adopted a new line of action to deal with any media reports or broadcasts that, in his view, have crossed the line.

"I have taken a personal decision and that decision is if ever I am aggrieved by anything the media does in the future, I am going to the courts. I am going to the courts," Manning said during yesterday's post-Cabinet news conference, where he announced his intentions to sue the TnT Mirror Weekend Newspaper over a report it published on November 2, about a visit he paid to the 94.1 FM radio station.

"The front page and the headline were wrong in four instances...and, therefore, I am taking this matter to the courts to seek to redress. That is where I will get my redress in the future," Manning said.

He held up a copy of the edition of the paper and read its front page headline that stated, "Manning loses his cool." Manning then read the accompanying headline that stated, "Enraged PM storms into Power 102 following midday newscast that didn"t bring music to his ears."

"First of all, Manning did not loose his cool. That"s incorrect. Secondly, I did not storm into any radio station, the least of all Power 102, I went to 94.1, and the report did not have anything to do with music. It had to do with unprofessional conduct of the reporting of the news," Manning said.
[
Manning also said he did not immediately visit the 94.1 FM after he left the barbershop in San Fernando.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161397960

imagine this man leading we country ?  :-\
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2008, 06:44:42 AM »
Imagine that esteemed journalist, a graduate from QRC, spelling lose...."loose!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2008, 07:20:59 AM »
Lehme raise the question I raised with TT earlier in the year regarding another of Mr. Manning's indiscretions ... where is his 'leash'?

He doh have a full-time political advisor to step in? To step in and say ... "watchnah, respectfully Mr. PM, dat cyah wuk .... it not going to go down nice and here's why ..." ... followed by the appropriate anticipatory reasoning.

I doh mean a political aide ... plenty ah dem all round Caribbean gov'ts. Aides don't intervene and step in to nix folly like this ... they enable. Ah talking an advisor ... if ever a politician needed a forceful one iz Patrick Manning. Furthermore, now de man all over de papers magnifying de initial nonsense.

In a situation such as this yuh hadda get in de man face and (ah know he stubborn) den work a few things back channel while thwarting his will with a smile.

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2008, 07:34:01 AM »
Lehme raise the question I raised with TT earlier in the year regarding another of Mr. Manning's indiscretions ... where is his 'leash'?

He doh have a full-time political advisor to step in? To step in and say ... "watchnah, respectfully Mr. PM, dat cyah wuk .... it not going to go down nice and here's why ..." ... followed by the appropriate anticipatory reasoning.

I doh mean a political aide ... plenty ah dem all round Caribbean gov'ts. Aides don't intervene and step in to nix folly like this ... they enable. Ah talking an advisor ... if ever a politician needed a forceful one iz Patrick Manning. Furthermore, now de man all over de papers magnifying de initial nonsense.

In a situation such as this yuh hadda get in de man face and (ah know he stubborn) den work a few things back channel while thwarting his will with a smile.

Maybe that is the responsibility of his Prophetess?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »
B&S no Government would be in the position to pay for all the people that require expensive procedures in order to live or fix a debilitating problem.
The thing is that the PNM (even though a lot of money is spent on social programmes) has an image now of being uncaring and arrogant.
So the 2 issues together makes good hate fodder.
For instance when I was back home 4wks ago Alleyne had the child and mother on his program begging for money.
A lot of people responded and he also asked the GOTT for help.
The only time a public statement was made was after the child died and it was an emotionless statement of fact by the minister (the ceiling set for assistance is 60K TT).
Of course the media and bleeding hearts would pounce on this, (i for one felt hurt about the baby's death).
Maybe a "caring" government would have come out earlier and explained it's case and offer some kind of alternative.
Now that coupled with the PM going to a radio station to complain about a couple of jokers is worrisome.
One would think that our esteemed PM is above that kind off reaction or he just does not and should not have time to waste on issues like that. A quiet word to his minister to talk to the station may have sufficed and taken the issue away from the public domain.
So people are disrepectfull of the office but the office holder must also restrain himself and be shown as someone with integrity.
That sadly was not the case here.

The gov't not helping deyself that's for sure... I for one agree that both situations could have been handled better.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2008, 11:35:35 AM »
Trinidad Guardian Online

KYLE JEREMIAH

Prime Minister Patrick Manning says he has had it with the media.

Further, Manning said, “If the spirit moves me,” he will not hesitate to visit media houses to complain if he disapproves of the content they produce.

“I have taken a personal decision and that decision is that if ever I am aggrieved by anything the media does in the future, I am going to the courts,” he said, during the post-Cabinet news conference yesterday.

He was expressing his disappointment with the media in the aftermath of reports that he had stormed into the offices of 94.1FM to complain about two radio announcers who criticised him during a broadcast.

Several individuals and groups have expressed concerns over Manning’s visit to the station and questioned whether it was an attempt to suppress press freedom.

But Manning maintained that it was his right as a citizen to visit anywhere he wanted.

“First of all, I didn’t suspend anybody from a radio station...I have no such authority,” he said.

“If individuals were suspended from a radio station, it was purely internal and a management issue that has absolutely nothing to do with the Prime Minister.

“The second issue, therefore, is whether it is proper for the PM to visit a radio station or not.

“If it is proper for a citizen of T&T to visit a radio station, then it cannot be improper for the PM as a citizen of T&T to do the same—unless of course, there are rights available to every citizen in T&T except the PM of the country. That, of course, cannot be so.”

Asked whether he would acknowledge that his influence as Prime Minister resulted in the suspension of the two announcers, Manning said: “What influence? I told those in authority at the radio station what had happened and I made it clear. I was making no complaint...I expected no redress because expecting redress from the media is asking too much. I told them that.”

Saying that he never listened to the station and “never will,” Manning said he declined offers from the station to get back to him after a thorough investigation.

“Get back to me for what? It has nothing to do with me. Whatever you do, you do. You run the radio station, I run the country—together with my Cabinet colleagues,” he said.

Manning said that in his 38 years in public life, he had seen “attacks” on individuals, particularly politicians.

“The traditional and conventional wisdom in the PNM is if we raise these matters publicly, yes we may have a point, but eventually we can pay a political price for raising it,” he said.

He lamented that of the 34 radio stations, seven television stations and three daily newspapers, he was unable to identify any media house that pursued a pro-government agenda.

“What is worse is that too many of the commentators either in the newspapers or on the radio do not respect our institutions,” Manning said.

“It is a question of being disrespectful to institutions and authority and pursuing a course of action that can cause the image of these institutions and individuals to be tarnished in the minds of those in whose interest they are set up to serve. And therefore they can become completely ineffective.”

Manning also revealed that he was taking the matter of the weekly newspaper report about him “storming” into the radio station to the courts.

On the issue of heavy security accompanying him to the radio station, Manning said there was “nothing unusual” about that because it was his normal security detail.

He denied claims that he stormed out of the barber salon, where he was at the time when the radio programme aired, to go directly to the station to complain.

He said he eventually went to the station “on his way home” after visiting a friend in the hospital and another in Pointe-a-Pierre.

Manning said a number of options were available to him in future, including going to the Telecommunications Authority of T&T (TATT).

TATT, however, revealed on Tuesday that even if Manning had lodged a complaint with them, they could not do anything because of the absence of a broadcast code.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2008, 11:58:29 AM »
Trinidad Guardian Online

KYLE JEREMIAH

Prime Minister Patrick Manning says he has had it with the media.

Further, Manning said, “If the spirit moves me,” he will not hesitate to visit media houses to complain if he disapproves of the content they produce.
  Wow ! Amazing !...So our PM will not hesitate to physically visit any institution or organisation that disapproves with his policy

I have taken a personal decision and that decision is that if ever I am aggrieved by anything the media does in the future, I am going to the courts,” he said, during the post-Cabinet news conference yesterday.

Mr PM this is the most reasonable thing for any government official to do..this is not debatable

Several individuals and groups have expressed concerns over Manning’s visit to the station and questioned whether it was an attempt to suppress press freedom.

Well this is undrstood ! A PM visiting a radio station to voice his disapproval will raise concersns througout the country

Asked whether he would acknowledge that his influence as Prime Minister resulted in the suspension of the two announcers, Manning said:

“What influence? I told those in authority at the radio station what had happened and I made it clear. I was making no complaint...I expected no redress because expecting redress from the media is asking too much. I told them that.” - PM Manning

Manning said that in his 38 years in public life, he had seen “attacks” on individuals, particularly politicians.
  Any Government has to get use to some media houses and radio stations publicly voicing their disapproval of some of their policies publicly..What type of society they think this is !!..It seems like Manning is still living back in the 80's where most media houses and radio stations are run by the government therefore "attacks" to Government policies were at its very minimum...people who run these stations are just delivering on air, the concerns of the T&T public..The Government must be held to a very high standard and that's the responsbity they accepted when running for office, and the media should hold them to that high standard. Trinbagonians are getting fed up with the traditional "talk plenty during campaigns, then lapse during office" governments in T&T and the media has to become more effective in delivering on Trinbagonians concerns

“The traditional and conventional wisdom in the PNM is if we raise these matters publicly, yes we may have a point, but eventually we can pay a political price for raising it,” he said.

He denied claims that he stormed out of the barber salon, where he was at the time when the radio programme aired, to go directly to the station to complain.

He said he eventually went to the station “on his way home” after visiting a friend in the hospital and another in Pointe-a-Pierre.

:D...and if the media forcefully address his statements highlighted above then it will be labelled "attacks"..Government has to realise times have change..This is not the 70's and 80's when the government owned almost every media institution in T&T therefore "attacks" were at its very minimum....They can be questioned about anything they do by the media, and the media has every right to deliver on the concerns of the T&T people..
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:15:51 PM by Sando prince »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 06:50:13 PM »
Wah Manning doh relize is that these are the dame people that was campagin for them in the last elections ,how fast can you forget ah think this man going power mad  .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2008, 06:58:33 PM »
I find that this is dangerous territory for the PM
stay to F away man
if you know you doin the right thing there is no problem, right
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
Black people killing one another in TT at a high rate  and he is offended by some percieved insult by some radio announcers. Common man. Where is his priority.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2008, 09:57:01 PM »
Black people killing one another in TT at a high rate  and he is offended by some percieved insult by some radio announcers. Common man. Where is his priority.
Thank you
Thank you very much Deeks
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »
Buh yuh know wah dread bout this he want to put the men out of a job .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »

So he should suspend being offended until black people stop killing each other in TnT?

Why stop there... I find he should stop smiling or feeling happy until there's peace in the middle east as well.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2008, 07:19:43 AM »

So he should suspend being offended until black people stop killing each other in TnT?

Why stop there... I find he should stop smiling or feeling happy until there's peace in the middle east as well.

Come nah man Bakes. This is the same man who made yet-to-be-founded allegations against former members of his cabinet simply because they are no longer rolling with him. It's not that he has no right to be offended, it's the level of hypocrisy that is being challenged here.

Add to that the fact that he can continue justify wild spending in a time of impending economic crisis; the fact that he has managed to silence the Governor of the Central Bank; the fact that we can longer safely walk our streets, or in some cases sleep soundly at night, and I think in the context of things, his emotional tirade appears more and more unnecessary and dare I say, out of line!

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2008, 08:06:03 AM »

You took my words and I really doh appreciate that eh :devil:

--------------------------------------
My take on this is if it was another country, the President/Prime Minister would have shut down the WHOLE media house in one shot. Granted he should not have physical gone down to the media house, but he's a Trini - we are known to face shit in the face. It's just some stand in front the fan too long.  Ent when people hear dat someone said something about them, they ready to fight and want to run up dey chest ??? That is a Trinidadian mentality......so frigging what ?

And please nobody bring up no talk that he is the Prime Minister of the country, and he should have set some example of leadership, because ya go be digging a deep hole with me. Just watch how all of them behave during a parliament sitting. No behavior.... So what's new ?

Media houses in Trinidad and Tobago get away with too much murder, simply to sell more newspaper and more consumer attraction. The 3 major newspapers would have the same image on the front page with a DIFFERENT story from beginning to end. Which to believe ? So you purchase all 3, and try and make a decision on who telling the truth.  Same thing with TV6, NBN, Gayelle etc.

I agree with the PM. Take them to frigging court next time.  Time for them to get they facts straighten out.
I'm no saying to put a noozle on the media, they have their work to provide the nation with the truth.... just some need a butt plug.

3cents >:(

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »

Wud the President of any first developed country get away with using his office to influence the suspension of journalists he views as "unprofessional"?

He would be ripped to shreds...so much so it will never happen.

I am not so sure this man hasn't breached some protocol or broken the law with his statements about u run the station I run the country....depends on how it was delivered but can that not be interpreted as a threat to use his office to attack the media house if they do not satisfy him.

The media ....if they have any backbone...need to stand up for themselves and tell Manning to go &*^*( himself.  Rag on him 24/7 and dare him to come on their station to answer questions.  Since he have so much time to be visiting each station that say something he doesn't like.

Real backward thinking...and he wonder why people call him Mugabe.  There has to be something about abusing your office to unduly influence civil matters.  He went there and said I am the PM I run the country.

How much court case this man want to lose.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »

Wud the President of any first developed country get away with using his office to influence the suspension of journalists he views as "unprofessional"? <-------in the case of Manning, is this a FACT ???

He would be ripped to shreds...so much so it will never happen. By whom ??? the same media ???  Again as I said Manning had no right to physically go down to the station and do whatever. But the fact is the media houses in Trinidad and Tobago have too much leverage and they need to separate rumor from fact, from fiction to non fiction.  This is where ignorant people does get they fluid from to cause mischief.

I am not so sure this man hasn't breached some protocol or broken the law with his statements about u run the station I run the country....depends on how it was delivered but can that not be interpreted as a threat to use his office to attack the media house if they do not satisfy him.

The media ....if they have any backbone...need to stand up for themselves and tell Manning to go &*^*( himself.  Rag on him 24/7 and dare him to come on their station to answer questions.  Since he have so much time to be visiting each station that say something he doesn't like.  Unless you know something else, I only read he visited one

Real backward thinking...and he wonder why people call him Mugabe.  There has to be something about abusing your office to unduly influence civil matters.  He went there and said I am the PM I run the country.

How much court case this man want to lose. <----he won't lose none since he'll use his office to influence the verdict  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What was said on air
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2008, 10:28:55 AM »
What was said on air
Trinidad Express

Following is the transcript of the portion of the 94.1 FM news cast which Prime Minister Patrick Manning said aggrieved him.

Newscaster: The Prime Minister added that the engines of vehicles today are so computerised that they will automatically adjust to the engine timing so that you would not be able to feel the difference. He added that when the price of premium gasoline went up it was for those who could afford it. He said the price of gasoline in Trinidad is the lowest in the world.

Presenter comments: So wait nah, the price of gasoline went up for only those who could only afford it, right?

Newscaster comments: That is the boss.

Presenter comments: But what going on in this place boy.

(Both laugh: Ha, ha, ha.)

Newscaster continues with the newscast: The Prime Minister assured that incentives would be given to motorists to make the change to CNG.

Newscaster comments: Yes, so he paying for you to go and change your whole kit.

Presenter comments: You know who much it cost to, to?

Newscaster comments: Yes about $5,000.

Presenter comments: About $5,000, is about $10,000.

Newscaster comments: Yes between $5 and $10, one mechanic said.

Presenter comments: Jesus Christ. Why would you raise gas for the minority which is the people who can't afford it. That is the minority eh.

Newscaster comments: It doesn't make much sense to, but we need to sustain the increase spending of the Government at this time. So think about it.

Presenter comments: Think about what? There is nothing to think about and Diesel may soon go up.

Newscaster comments: Yep and he is also going to be encouraging people, persons are now going to be encouraged to change their, to convert their cars from Diesel to CNG.

Presenter: Which if a man hit you from behind it could be very dangerous because the tank is in the trunk.

Newscaster comments: That's our Prime Minister.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »

Wud the President of any first developed country get away with using his office to influence the suspension of journalists he views as "unprofessional"? <-------in the case of Manning, is this a FACT ???
That would be something for the court/privledges committee or whoever this would fall under to decide but my opinion is that there is enough to make that case.

He would be ripped to shreds...so much so it will never happen. By whom ??? the same media ???  Again as I said Manning had no right to physically go down to the station and do whatever. But the fact is the media houses in Trinidad and Tobago have too much leverage and they need to separate rumor from fact, from fiction to non fiction.  This is where ignorant people does get they fluid from to cause mischief.
Yes the same media...which the public listens to and would be out of business if the public did not want to hear what they had to say.  The same public would rip him to shreds unless u want to brand everybody with a contrary opinion voiced in public as media.  Would you feel better if some Canadian journalists came and did a feature and in turn ripped him to shreds....no way he was getting away with that behaviour up by you.

The media ....if they have any backbone...need to stand up for themselves and tell Manning to go &*^*( himself.  Rag on him 24/7 and dare him to come on their station to answer questions.  Since he have so much time to be visiting each station that say something he doesn't like.  Unless you know something else, I only read he visited one
He said he would visit media houses that are in breach of the new Manning media rules.  It in this thread.

How much court case this man want to lose. <----he won't lose none since he'll use his office to influence the verdict  :beermug:
Ha.  Didn't work before.  Unfortunately for him he cannot influence the Privy Council so maybe if he lose enough he will decide is time for the CCJ to take effect.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2008, 11:25:01 AM »
It is unacceptable and could be interpreted as an abuse of power for a prime minister to enter a radio station to complain about an alleged wrong committed on air.

This is the view of the Trinidad and Tobago Publishers and Broadcasters Association (TTPBA).

The association issued a release yesterday in the wake of Prime Minister Patrick Manning going into 94.1FM on October 25 to complain about two announcers who criticised him on air.

The TTPBA said it was unacceptable for an organisation or person “who is of the view that he has been wronged” to “enter the premises of a broadcaster to have the incorrect information corrected.”

“In a democracy, to have a prime minister do so is unacceptable as it can be interpreted as an abuse of power and a threat to freedom of the press, because such action may be perceived as intimidatory,” TTPBA said.

“A broadcaster does not have the right to say anything about anybody or put on air information that is incorrect and which may lead to harm.

“Broadcasters cannot knowingly put on air information that is incorrect and which may lead to disinformation.

“There are mechanisms in place that the public can use to have incorrect information corrected.

“The Media Complaints Council is one such means and the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago, in spite of there being yet no broadcast code in place, has the influence necessary to correct glaring errors of the broadcast media.”

The TTPBA said it registered its alarm “at this seeming threat to press freedom and we sincerely hope that there will be no repeat of this unfortunate incident.”

And the Media Association of T&T (Matt) said the prime minister’s right should be exercised in the public interest with due care and responsibility.

In a release yesterday, Matt responded to statements made by Manning on Thursday that he, as a citizen of T&T, had the “right” to visit a radio station.

“Matt maintains its position that the Prime Minister’s visit to 94.1FM was inappropriate and unnecessary,” the release said.

“Freedom of speech is enshrined in Section 4 of the Constitution of T&T.

“The Media Association takes this opportunity to remind its members and all members of the population that we have a responsibility and right to comment on the actions of public officials and issues of national importance.”

And Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday has called on the media to stand firmly in the face of “threats” and “intimidation” by Manning over criticisms of the Government’s performance and policy in the press.

“Mr Manning can say what he wants...the fact that his action of storming a radio station with security detail to challenge the statements of broadcasters will have the effect of intimidating the management and staff—including journalists,” Panday said.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
Panday please dont say nutting because you are know better both you and Manning destroying the country with alyuh power hungry self .by the way what go on with the the men that was involve in this dispute .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2008, 11:44:34 AM »

Come nah man Bakes. This is the same man who made yet-to-be-founded allegations against former members of his cabinet simply because they are no longer rolling with him. It's not that he has no right to be offended, it's the level of hypocrisy that is being challenged here.

Add to that the fact that he can continue justify wild spending in a time of impending economic crisis; the fact that he has managed to silence the Governor of the Central Bank; the fact that we can longer safely walk our streets, or in some cases sleep soundly at night, and I think in the context of things, his emotional tirade appears more and more unnecessary and dare I say, out of line!

Swima, more than anything else I try to look at things objectively and reasonably.  I think it's highly reasonable to think that the average person would feel outraged in Manning's situation.  I also think it's reasonable that most people would also agree with your assertion that he overreacted in storming down to the station.  

In reading the reaction/responses by the local-based posters I'm struck by what appears to be a decidedly lack of objectivity when it comes to Manning and his government.  It's almost akin to the emotional overreactions to Bush and his policies here in the US, who was so overwhelmingly unpopular that many (myself included) found it difficult to be objective towards him.  

I think that lack of objectivity is what is causing most of you to posit as fact that Manning went down to the station and made demands where it concerns the broadcasters, and that the station acquiesced to those demands and are attempting to rationalize it after the fact.  Even if one were to concede that this is in fact what occurred, you still find it hard to accept that the actions of the announcers were egregious enough to merit the discipline meted out.  Which begs the question... is your outrage at the suspension, or is the outrage directed at the fact that Manning saw it fit to visit the station?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
It is unacceptable and could be interpreted as an abuse of power for a prime minister to enter a radio station to complain about an alleged wrong committed on air.

This is the view of the Trinidad and Tobago Publishers and Broadcasters Association (TTPBA).

The association issued a release yesterday in the wake of Prime Minister Patrick Manning going into 94.1FM on October 25 to complain about two announcers who criticised him on air.

The TTPBA said it was unacceptable for an organisation or person “who is of the view that he has been wronged” to “enter the premises of a broadcaster to have the incorrect information corrected.”

“In a democracy, to have a prime minister do so is unacceptable as it can be interpreted as an abuse of power and a threat to freedom of the press, because such action may be perceived as intimidatory,” TTPBA said.

“A broadcaster does not have the right to say anything about anybody or put on air information that is incorrect and which may lead to harm.

“Broadcasters cannot knowingly put on air information that is incorrect and which may lead to disinformation.

“There are mechanisms in place that the public can use to have incorrect information corrected.

“The Media Complaints Council is one such means and the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago, in spite of there being yet no broadcast code in place, has the influence necessary to correct glaring errors of the broadcast media.”

The TTPBA said it registered its alarm “at this seeming threat to press freedom and we sincerely hope that there will be no repeat of this unfortunate incident.”

And the Media Association of T&T (Matt) said the prime minister’s right should be exercised in the public interest with due care and responsibility.

In a release yesterday, Matt responded to statements made by Manning on Thursday that he, as a citizen of T&T, had the “right” to visit a radio station.

“Matt maintains its position that the Prime Minister’s visit to 94.1FM was inappropriate and unnecessary,” the release said.

“Freedom of speech is enshrined in Section 4 of the Constitution of T&T.

“The Media Association takes this opportunity to remind its members and all members of the population that we have a responsibility and right to comment on the actions of public officials and issues of national importance.”

And Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday has called on the media to stand firmly in the face of “threats” and “intimidation” by Manning over criticisms of the Government’s performance and policy in the press.

“Mr Manning can say what he wants...the fact that his action of storming a radio station with security detail to challenge the statements of broadcasters will have the effect of intimidating the management and staff—including journalists,” Panday said.

This entire TTPBA statement is nonsense.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2008, 12:06:12 PM »

Wud the President of any first developed country get away with using his office to influence the suspension of journalists he views as "unprofessional"?

He would be ripped to shreds...so much so it will never happen.

The media ....if they have any backbone...need to stand up for themselves and tell Manning to go &*^*( himself.  Rag on him 24/7 and dare him to come on their station to answer questions.  Since he have so much time to be visiting each station that say something he doesn't like.

How much court case this man want to lose.

I could only laugh at allyuh men sometimes yes... you say "depends on how it was delivered", but apparently you've made up your mind as to how that was.  Based on what I read, once the complaint was made the station manager promised to look into the situation and get back to Manning.  Manning then dismissed that as unnecessary, saying "you do what you want... I run the country, you run the station".   Clearly it meant "I run the country, I don't run the station, that is your job, so no need to report back to me".

Man saying he "intimidated" and breached protocol and law.

--------------

In reading what Tallman posted that strikes me as somewhat unprofessional... but hard to really say, depends on the context in which the 'news' was being read.  If the program is a light-hearted, irreverent one (as many in TnT tend to be) ala a Olbermann or Maddox, then Manning should take that into consideration and brush it off.  If however this was supposed to be straight reporting of news then I agree wholeheartedly with the suspension.  This was not about them having a "contrary opinion".  They deliberately sought to twist and misconstrue the intent of the price increase... or is it that they honestly didn't understand what they were talking about? 

Either way in the event that it was indeed supposed to be straight reporting then they shouldn't be editorialising.  The price increase (from appearances) only affects the price of premium gas... which the vast populace has no need for.  So indeed it would only affect those who could afford it, either because they dun driving expensive cars, or because they like wasting money on higher grade gas.  Manning is right in this regard.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 12:08:43 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »

You took my words and I really doh appreciate that eh :devil:

--------------------------------------
My take on this is if it was another country, the President/Prime Minister would have shut down the WHOLE media house in one shot. Granted he should not have physical gone down to the media house, but he's a Trini - we are known to face shit in the face...
I disagree, because in other democratic ountries this isuues would have most likely been handled in court but like you said he is ah Trini so we have to accept this..T&T citizens should not hold their politicians to high standards   ::)

« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:40:31 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »

Swima, more than anything else I try to look at things objectively and reasonably.  I think it's highly reasonable to think that the average person would feel outraged in Manning's situation.  I also think it's reasonable that most people would also agree with your assertion that he overreacted in storming down to the station.  

In reading the reaction/responses by the local-based posters I'm struck by what appears to be a decidedly lack of objectivity when it comes to Manning and his government.  It's almost akin to the emotional overreactions to Bush and his policies here in the US, who was so overwhelmingly unpopular that many (myself included) found it difficult to be objective towards him.  

I think that lack of objectivity is what is causing most of you to posit as fact that Manning went down to the station and made demands where it concerns the broadcasters, and that the station acquiesced to those demands and are attempting to rationalize it after the fact.  Even if one were to concede that this is in fact what occurred, you still find it hard to accept that the actions of the announcers were egregious enough to merit the discipline meted out.  Which begs the question... is your outrage at the suspension, or is the outrage directed at the fact that Manning saw it fit to visit the station?

My outrage is at both, and I have made that clear in previous posts. O'Brian Haynes knows that this is not the first time that this has occurred during a newscast, and so he cannot claim for one second that he was not influenced in anyway what so ever by the Prime Minister's actions.

Look, I know that I am subject to the environmental on goings and frustrations happening in contemporary TnT, but that does not mean that I am completely unable to defend the actions of Mr. Manning when it is called for. For instance, to an extent I agree with the integration scheme he is pushing. I believe that small states such as the ours and the ones surrounding us are doomed to remain economic dependencies unless we band together on some level in an attempt to as self-sufficient as possible. Now his motives may not be as noble, but I have no proof of his intentions so I choose to remain silent on that matter.

However, Mr. Manning holds a public office of importance, and his professionalism and propriety must be placed under greater scrutiny, especially if that public office is gained through the electoral process. As such, in a case such as this, where he appears to use his political muscle to voice his displeasure at the mindless rantings of two untrained and relatively nonthreatening journalists, it must beg the question as to whether or not he is psychologically stable enough to separate verbal public outrage, however irresponsible, from lawlessness.

Add to that the fact that he so quickly made this his priority (in the wake of rampant crime, a failing healthcare system, an increasingly overheated economy, and an education system that continues to rob many a child a fair chance of success in the modern world). I think all things considered, we need to closely examine ourselves here and ask who is serving the needs of whom in this country?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »

I disagree, because in other democratic ountries this isuues would have most likely been handled in court but like you said he is ah Trini so we have to accept this..T&T citizens should not hold their politicians to high standards   ::)

Despite Manning's threats... this is not a legal matter.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
However, Mr. Manning holds a public office of importance, and his professionalism and propriety must be placed under greater scrutiny, especially if that public office is gained through the electoral process. As such, in a case such as this, where he appears to use his political muscle to voice his displeasure at the mindless rantings of two untrained and relatively nonthreatening journalists, it must beg the question as to whether or not he is psychologically stable enough to separate verbal public outrage, however irresponsible, from lawlessness.

I was with you up until this point... not sure how this is any reflection on his psychological stability.  I'm also not following the "public outrage" v. "lawlessness" bit.  Don't think he was suggesting that the criticism amounted to such.

Add to that the fact that he so quickly made this his priority (in the wake of rampant crime, a failing healthcare system, an increasingly overheated economy, and an education system that continues to rob many a child a fair chance of success in the modern world). I think all things considered, we need to closely examine ourselves here and ask who is serving the needs of whom in this country?

How did he make this his priority though?  Seems to me he responded spur of the moment to the broadcast and that was that.  The situation then took on a life of it's own.  I'm obviously not there on the ground following each minute development... so if I'm missing something then forgive me, but I haven't read anything to suggest that it's Manning who's keeping this alive.

1]; } ?>