April 25, 2024, 01:27:07 AM

Author Topic: Which Intercol player had de BEST SEASON ever?  (Read 11165 times)

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Which Intercol player had de BEST SEASON ever?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 07:44:40 AM »
as allyuh "back in times"...ah go put a modern one..         2008..Leston Paul come on the promoted CIC team just for the intercol ...so he play 3 north zone matches..and help them win the NZ IC title...and helped take them to the National intercol semis...Ah know real old school..but this a good recent player power situation...
personally i was not picking him...but he write he chapter

Best ever SEASON and he play 3 games?

U self BM

palos if yuh did see he contribution on that field yuh would understand what big m saying

come nah man....the man only play 3 games, that doh make a season....  He shouldn't even be in the discussion with regards to this topic.  That would be disrespecting real men dey....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »
well he showed his class... CIC was not getting past the first round....
the tnt world cup U-17 capt..barnes pick to go to Sunderland..etc...
he was way above all others...
but then again allyuh doh watch morden day college ball...so is a back in times thread...that easy to do really....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 08:31:27 AM »
Dexter Skleene have to be in dey. 

Ah cyah believe some of de QRC men calling out some of their old players who could not even carry Dexter Sandy's or Gips Tote Bag but want to put dem on best season ever list.

Gip and Sandy... for sure but them 2 players is the stuff of legend!

ah mention Sterling because of his work rate and vision on the pitch...

but Roger and Dexter yeah, phenomenal players...
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 08:45:53 AM »
For goalscoring prowess ..Luciano woodley.
For total domination in ah season ...Verron Skinner
for totally taking intercol to hero worship status ...Ian ' the dead dribbler ' Clausel.
i dont think anyone has matched his following no matter how many goals they have scored.
Just an aside ...I remember Clausel wrongfooted an entire QRC defence with ah dribble ....I was watching it on TV ..First there were 4 QRC defenders on the screen ...then there were no QRC defenders on de screen ..even the cameraman was hard pressed to keep them all in the frame  :devil:
So Ian Clausel gets my vote as the player who created the biggest sensation in college football ..maybe to this day.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »
For goalscoring prowess ..Luciano woodley.
For total domination in ah season ...Verron Skinner
for totally taking intercol to hero worship status ...Ian ' the dead dribbler ' Clausel.
i dont think anyone has matched his following no matter how many goals they have scored.
Just an aside ...I remember Clausel wrongfooted an entire QRC defence with ah dribble ....I was watching it on TV ..First there were 4 QRC defenders on the screen ...then there were no QRC defenders on de screen ..even the cameraman was hard pressed to keep them all in the frame  :devil:
So Ian Clausel gets my vote as the player who created the biggest sensation in college football ..maybe to this day.

Cyah speak on Woodley behalf, but otherwise, I totally endorse this post.
Trinity was damn near ah 1-man show, and successful too, with Skinner.
And as for Mr Clauzel... nothig more I could say. As ah small man, I used to ketch bus, taxi, bum drop, walk, ride bike, any means necessary, and go anyway Mucurapo play, just to see the Dread do his thing.
Toujour Pret!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
Verron Skinner is a BIG call dey jai... :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
Because we could call everybody name who had a good season (and every year, sombody must have a good season) i figure we should put at least ONE stipulation:

They had to have led their team to one of the national titles.

Anybody agree? Fifa doh let men win indiviual honours if the team didn't benefit...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 10:21:35 AM »
Because we could call everybody name who had a good season (and every year, sombody must have a good season) i figure we should put at least ONE stipulation:

Anybody agree? Fifa doh let men win indiviual honours if the team didn't benefit...

disagree. and that ent true about FIFA..ask George Weah and Hristo Stoichkov. Plus who is FIFA? Sometimes they get it 'right'..but often dem awards are some serious pappy show, popularity contests imo.

for me..SSFL was a whole different scene when I was in Form 1 / Form 2. Players look like big men, and the brand look professional  ;D

In 87, (i think that was the year) I tort Scott Rodriguez and Kona Hislop were the best ballers in the North. May not have been true, but through my youthman eyes, dem two left footers was bussin de net at will and made me want to rep Fatima at that level (yes..I know Kona went Saints). But the two of them were the standard of Intercol in my eyes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:24:26 AM by Filho »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »

disagree. and that ent true about FIFA..ask George Weah and Hristo Stoichkov.

So Milan and Barca didn win nuttin them years? I find that hard to believe....I not even sure Stoichov ever get an award. But that not important in this thread anyway...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2008, 12:18:55 PM »

disagree. and that ent true about FIFA..ask George Weah and Hristo Stoichkov.

So Milan and Barca didn win nuttin them years? I find that hard to believe....I not even sure Stoichov ever get an award. But that not important in this thread anyway...

yeah man. Stichkov won the Ballon D'Or in 1994 when at Barca. Weah won it the year after at Milan, although he spent part of the year at PSG. I just mentioned them cuz I read in a  article that they were the only two to win Ballon D'or without their teams winning a major European or World title. I not really down for doing too much research to back that up.  :beermug:

And I agree..it's not important at all to the thread. You sound like you really wanted to narrow down the criteria for the post, but I just disagree that is necessary and wanted to point out that FIFA did ocassionally award their top individaul prizes to players who didn't win anything major. Just something I was interested in in another post, so I responded to that last part you mentioned.

:beermug:

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2008, 04:30:11 PM »
Ah does look at these type of threads in a kinda way eh.   Why allyuh doh phrase these kinda controversial threads in such a way so that men could give their personal opinion without it coming a catfight.

"Which intercol player had the best season ever ?" could have so many different interpretations....
Men done start to count number of goals from different players in different teams in different eras...
And men arguing eh, but never even see some of the players other men mentioning eh.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2008, 04:55:31 PM »
Ah does look at these type of threads in a kinda way eh.   Why allyuh doh phrase these kinda controversial threads in such a way so that men could give their personal opinion without it coming a catfight.

"Which intercol player had the best season ever ?" could have so many different interpretations....
Men done start to count number of goals from different players in different teams in different eras...
And men arguing eh, but never even see some of the players other men mentioning eh.

true dat. In the end is just a way for men to share some intercol memories imo

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »
Peter Mitchell in 72!!!! And I played for QRC!!!!

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »
if you guys never see Ian `the dread dribbler` cluzel play please ask somebody no matter era if they did not say he was the best then they are lying or very bias the man had everybody calling his name  friend and foe you young guys on here ask an older head about cluzel let them tell you

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
if you guys never see Ian `the dread dribbler` cluzel play please ask somebody no matter era if they did not say he was the best then they are lying or very bias the man had everybody calling his name  friend and foe you young guys on here ask an older head about cluzel let them tell you

If some body has some film highlights that would be great.  Any longtime footage anybody?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2008, 06:09:33 PM »
I will go with my two teamates from tranquill,nigel roach aka nayee and robert les pierre aka mouth top goalscorers in there time 80,81,

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2008, 06:22:26 PM »
I will go with my two teamates from tranquill,nigel roach aka nayee and robert les pierre aka mouth top goalscorers in there time 80,81,

::)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2008, 06:41:16 PM »

Saga, boy, yuh call name dey boy.  Robert was a boss player, he and his brother roger, but Robert was the man.  Growin' up in Woodbrook with them men and some other prominent players from all different schools was real sweet.  Richard Hood was my goalkeepin' hero back in dem days too. and I used to go and watch Tranquil play as often as I could.  I see some men mention Dexter Sandy and Roger Guiseppi......pure, pure, pure talent, both of them.  Sadly, I think (at least, more so for Dexter) his talent was overshadoed by some lean and unsuccesful years that we were going through in the early to mid 80's  Guip began to see some success after we got some new coaching (I think with Jean Lillywhite) and had some better days in school.
    But the man for me that made Intercol the lifetime of an experience that it was for me HAVE to be Ian Clauzel.  
I have engaged in some of the most heated debates with some of my best friends abut this.  In my opinion, He had the biggest impact on Colleges' League in my generation.  Because of him, I ALWAYS support Compre after my old school.   any of our younger forumites here really missed out on a helluva experience that Clauzel brought to Intercol.  There was nothing that even the St. Augustines, Sando Techs, El Dorados, Malicks and any other entity has done since, to replicate the atmosphere that surrounded Clazel and he and his team did well to play off hte atmosphere they created as well......until that fateful day in the oval against John D..... :'(  

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 07:03:19 PM »
There was nothing that even the St. Augustines, Sando Techs, El Dorados, Malicks and any other entity has done since, to replicate the atmosphere that surrounded Clazel and he and his team did well to play off hte atmosphere they created as well......until that fateful day in the oval against John D..... :'(  

Dat goal Moose score against John D in de Oval was one a de bess goals yuh could hope to see by any local player.  Dat was a game fuh de ages.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
yeah mango

when malick full-up two ah them double busses to go arima to play ah side and beat them and after went back up morvant to dr hyde yard and party was nuttin.

since i wasnt born during the exodus ah moses i never see good football
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »
Palos,

I am quite honored to be called with these other great players.  Ah know I am bias, but my pick goes to my partner, Luciano Woodley. 

I saw other high school players who were better than him, such as Gally, Archibald, DeLeon, Ian Bain, Alvin Henderson, Rolph Clarke, and Ellis Sadaphal, but in 1970, Luci was simply amazing. 

He got a lot of criticism because he was not a fancy player.  Many said he was lucky.  Luciano was a Gerd Mueller type of player – a pure goal scorer, basic and simple, powerful, and smart.  Luci was extremely fast too.  Around 1969, Luci gave up running track, and at that time, he may have been in the top four or five sprinters for his age in T&T.  At his funeral, Wayne Lewis said to me that Luci was the best player he saw running off the ball.

Trevor Leiba

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2008, 08:14:20 PM »
Yes I have seen Clauzel play and he was indeed very good in his time. But I don't think he was the best.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2008, 09:14:31 PM »
There was nothing that even the St. Augustines, Sando Techs, El Dorados, Malicks and any other entity has done since, to replicate the atmosphere that surrounded Clazel and he and his team did well to play off hte atmosphere they created as well......until that fateful day in the oval against John D..... :'(  

Dat goal Moose score against John D in de Oval was one a de bess goals yuh could hope to see by any local player.  Dat was a game fuh de ages.

Boy! Look at name you call!  Unfortunately, I cyah remember the goal that mucorapo score.  (too much tears in meh eye!)   

But Palos, as much as it was a heartbreakin' goal for me, I have to give John D. their due credit, the goal that they had scored (the corner kick  on the pavilion end that went in untouched).  That was something else, too. 

yeah mango

when malick full-up two ah them double busses to go arima to play ah side and beat them and after went back up morvant to dr hyde yard and party was nuttin.

since i wasnt born during the exodus ah moses i never see good football

Nobody saying that it's only the olden days that had good football, Morvant.  In fact, the fact that I mentioned the comparable teams that I did, suggests that I am indeed giving y'all your due credit.  The fact that I wasn't even around to witness your school's golden period and I am holding them in such esteem based on word of mouth further reinforces that.  However, with all due respect, I don't think Double Maxi was running in Clauzel times.  But all of Mucorapo's games were practically SRO!!  Two double maxi wouldn'ta be enough!

Deeks, I eh trying to say that Clauzel was the best player.  I do think that he had the biggest impact, tough, he and his team did.  However, even though there may have been teams that may have rivaled the crowd sizes of Mucorapo's games of that time, the buzz, electricity and energy of Compre's games are what put them in a class of their own.  I can recall Rastaman from all corners of the country was coming to their games and men I didn't know from Adam and knew neither me nor my family was carryin me on dey shoulder, (I was only 9 and 10 years old during Clauzel's two years in ssfl) to circumvent the crowds/gate at Fatima.  Men was Ushering me across that well-known iron span at CIC Grounds.  Police were turning their backs and one inspector even assisted in helping me scale the fence at CIC grounds.....i really don't remember ever paying to see that team play.... :)     

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »
I can tell you for a fact....ALL of Mucurapo's games that season when they had Clauzel were SRO.

We (fatima) play Mucurapo on we grounds dat year and we were outnumbered 50 to 1 on we own ground.

Mucurapo had Tractor, Emerson Dubisson (what a player!!!), Denzil White, Eric White, etc...but EVERYBODY came to see De Dread Dribbler.  De whole a Cocorite used to come out (de white brothers was from dey), belmont, carenage, diego, valley, town, san juan, u name it....people was dey.

There definitely was the Clauzel factor....no doubt.

But I have a theory that there was also another factor as well.  Colleges League (as it was known den) was still de purview of de "Prestige Schools"....QRC, CIC, Fatima, Naps, Presentation.  Before de advent of de Senior Secs in de Colleges League, de anti establishment favourites used to be Tranquil and den Belmont.  But even den, they weren't seen to be true "ghetto youths"...not de whole team anyway.  I always remember Tranquil and dey #1 supporter called "Attack".  Big man over 30 years ole, runnin rong de field wavin a flag and bawlin "ATTACK...ATTACK!!".  "Winston "Tom" Phillip was de starboy dem times.  Dey also had tall red man Keith Weekes and Curtis "Cedus" Murrell".   Belmont was famous fuh Brian "Big Bird" Brown & Gary "Plucky" Evelyn

Wit de advent of Mucurapo......de "real ghetto youth" were seen to be getting their opportunity to shine on de biggest football stage in T&T because dem wasn't goin any a dem Prestige Schools and at de time, it was still kinda frowned upon to transfer a player solely fuh football (never mind Fatima did jes dat with Everald "Gally" Cummings from Tranquil).

So IMO...I think that social factor also played a part in Mucurapo's popularity.  Senir Secs went on to dominate Colleges League fuh a while....Mucurapo, SAGS, El Dorado, Signal Hill (not a senior sec but not a prestige school as say Bishop's for example) were all POWERHOUSES.

There is a theory which suggests that the T&T national football team went from a certain class of representatives of de scoiety in de 60's...Maple, Malvern etc.....to one where "real ghetto youths" became more prevalent on de national team.  But daz fuh a nex topic.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:23 PM »
I can tell you for a fact....ALL of Mucurapo's games that season when they had Clauzel were SRO.

We (fatima) play Mucurapo on we grounds dat year and we were outnumbered 50 to 1 on we own ground.

Mucurapo had Tractor, Emerson Dubisson (what a player!!!), Denzil White, Eric White, etc...but EVERYBODY came to see De Dread Dribbler.  De whole a Cocorite used to come out (de white brothers was from dey), belmont, carenage, diego, valley, town, san juan, u name it....people was dey.

There definitely was the Clauzel factor....no doubt.

But I have a theory that there was also another factor as well.  Colleges League (as it was known den) was still de purview of de "Prestige Schools"....QRC, CIC, Fatima, Naps, Presentation.  Before de advent of de Senior Secs in de Colleges League, de anti establishment favourites used to be Tranquil and den Belmont.  But even den, they weren't seen to be true "ghetto youths"...not de whole team anyway.  I always remember Tranquil and dey #1 supporter called "Attack".  Big man over 30 years ole, runnin rong de field wavin a flag and bawlin "ATTACK...ATTACK!!".  "Winston "Tom" Phillip was de starboy dem times.  Dey also had tall red man Keith Weekes and Curtis "Cedus" Murrell".   Belmont was famous fuh Brian "Big Bird" Brown & Gary "Plucky" Evelyn

Wit de advent of Mucurapo......de "real ghetto youth" were seen to be getting their opportunity to shine on de biggest football stage in T&T because dem wasn't goin any a dem Prestige Schools and at de time, it was still kinda frowned upon to transfer a player solely fuh football (never mind Fatima did jes dat with Everald "Gally" Cummings from Tranquil).

So IMO...I think that social factor also played a part in Mucurapo's popularity.  Senir Secs went on to dominate Colleges League fuh a while....Mucurapo, SAGS, El Dorado, Signal Hill (not a senior sec but not a prestige school as say Bishop's for example) were all POWERHOUSES.

There is a theory which suggests that the T&T national football team went from a certain class of representatives of de scoiety in de 60's...Maple, Malvern etc.....to one where "real ghetto youths" became more prevalent on de national team.  But daz fuh a nex topic.

Point well made, Palos.  Point well taken. (Ah hope yuh also remember the undressing that Clauzel put on Garnett Craig on allyuh grounds eh....) But did I see wrong, or did you put "SAGS" on dat list of Senior Secs?  Ent dize St Augustine Girls" School? Wha yuh tryin' to say?  :-X

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
Point well made, Palos.  Point well taken. (Ah hope yuh also remember the undressing that Clauzel put on Garnett Craig on allyuh grounds eh....) But did I see wrong, or did you put "SAGS" on dat list of Senior Secs?  Ent dize St Augustine Girls" School? Wha yuh tryin' to say?  :-X

I remember de undressin well.  However, I dare you to name a single defender who did a better job all season on Clauzel than Garnet Craig in that game.

As fuh SAGS...sorry.....my bad.....St Augustine wit Pollonais, Nixon, et al

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2008, 10:22:30 PM »

I remember de undressin well.  However, I dare you to name a single defender who did a better job all season on Clauzel than Garnet Craig in that game.

As fuh SAGS...sorry.....my bad.....St Augustine wit Pollonais, Nixon, et al

Listen, I couldn't stand GC, but give jack he jacket, de man was a good defender.   :thinking:maybe dat is why I didn't like 'im.  He was a Fatima man....and he was good!  ;D 
     Also, dat is a UNFAIR challenge to lay at my feet, Breds......as a matter of fact....who was it that kept him from performing his magic to rescue Compre in that game against John D? Maybe my memory ain't serving me right, but, I don't recall him living up to his usual expectations in that game, in spite of the fact that he scored for them. 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2008, 11:02:21 PM »
Listen, I couldn't stand GC, but give jack he jacket, de man was a good defender.   :thinking:maybe dat is why I didn't like 'im.  He was a Fatima man....and he was good!  ;D 
     Also, dat is a UNFAIR challenge to lay at my feet, Breds......as a matter of fact....who was it that kept him from performing his magic to rescue Compre in that game against John D? Maybe my memory ain't serving me right, but, I don't recall him living up to his usual expectations in that game, in spite of the fact that he scored for them. 

Wha happen to yuh at all?  Clayton Morris bro.

Enjoy dis one...sad story still tho

Author: Garth Wattley
Date Published: 2000-01-07
Source: Trinidad Express
Page: 57
The Class of the 20th Century
Part 8: The Ian Clauzel Story
Return of the "Dread Dribbler"

Standing there in the Queen's Park Savannah with his bow legs arching slightly, Ian Clauzel does not look like a man under strain.

But then the former Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) standout speaks and the illusion is destroyed.

"Yuh mind if I smoke?" he asks. "This coaching is plenty stress. It is so much responsibility."

To the gathering of Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive teenagers who are awaiting his instructions, he is just the coach - for the second year - of their Under-16 team.

Nowhere in a Hall of Fame for senior footballers would the name Ian Clauzel figure; his career lasted seven years before it was curtailed by injury in 1984.

In schools football, however he is something of a legend.

And perhaps because of the brevity of a career that promised so much, he is also an enigma.

He played just two seasons of schools soccer, 1977 and 1978.

The mere sight of Clauzel set him apart.

A shock of dreadlocks raised eyebrows and the ire of the establishment.

Even in the restless Seventies, a schoolboy Rastafarian was revolutionary.

In the 1978 season, Clauzel's dreadlocks wee to land him in the middle of controversy when he was included in the national Under-19 team - at the insistence of the Football Association.

That led to the resignation of coach Roderick Warner and his entire technical staff. Clauzel's radical look was not the only thing working against him.

In 1977, he was playing for Mucurapo Senior, which was new on the football block.

Together, Clauzel and "Compre" had to break new ground.

"I love the school," he says. "I think I owe a lot to Mucurapo because that is where I made my name."

And what a name.

"Skill for skill, his style was very unorthodox," says Clayton Morris.

In the late 1970s, Morris, the former national "Strike Squad" captain, was part of the North Zone powerhouse John Donaldson Technical Institute side.

"You never could push your foot and touch the ball when Clauzel had it because he ran with it between his legs," explains the defender. Even if you tackle him, you would foul him."

Clauzel, elusive and unpredictable, was the marquee name in an exciting side in which his strike partner Eric While and midfielder Emmerson Dubisson wee also outstanding.

"Trailblazers," is the way Patrick Nash, a member of the Mucurapo management team, describes the unit captained by Novell Gittens.

A senior division side in '77, they won the Barclay's Bank Knockout Trophy. But in Intercol of '78, Clauzel and company probably had their finest hour.

Ironically, they ended as 2-1 losers to John D in the North Zone Intercol final.

The 18,000 fans in the Queen's Park Oval saw a classic contest distinguished by Clauzel.

"That was a beautiful game, man," Clauzel recalls. "From since that time I haven't seen the standard reach that high."

John D eventually came from behind to win on goals by Dale Hinds and Harmon Lucas. But it was the Clauzel strike that few have forgotten. "The best goal I ever scored," he says.

He remembers the play.

"The ball was coming to me just over the half-line and I take it like this," he says, demonstrating the half-turn and takedown, the movements smooth and easy as ever, "I hit it one time from about 35 yards and it was in the back of the net."

Clauzel and White also managed to hit the post but could not pull the game back after John D took the lead. Clauzel got fan mail after that game. But there was little else to show for his efforts.

The years since have been a huge anticlimax but the reasons have never been quite clear.

"He was very, very skilful but very slightly built," observes Clive Pantin, himself a former player and, in 1978, the Fatima College principal. "He could be marked out of a game."

Morris said, "He was offered a (US) scholarship but refused to cut his hair. If he had taken that opportunity, he could have made the breakthrough."

Clauzel's reaction to the suggestion is no less interesting.

"I lost confidence in the football system," he offers. "There was a lot of bias in the football at that time, especially at the national level."

Then he adds, philosophically: "I feel what is for a man is for a man. I does just deal with Life as it comes."

But it is clear that the old memories die hard. Those relating to his controversial selection to the Under-19 team for that Concacaf tournament in Honduras are particularly harsh.

He remembers the cold stares he received when, with the money his mother had scrambled together, he turned up for training - only to be told of the resignations.

"The talk was that I was too untidy to play for the national team. That was an embarrassment to me. They just did not understand the Rastafarianism."

Nowadays, he is now close-shaven, the locks sheared.

"You don't have to be dread to be Rasta," he declares, sounding like Morgan Heritage, "I just wanted a change in my life."

But it does not escape him that well-paid players now abound in world football, dreadlocks and all.

And as he recalls his years after school, there is more pain.

"People used to mention I would be playing here, playing there, and I did not know anything about it.

"A lot of people made money off me," he says. And then the timbre of his voice rising shrilly, he asks: "The only person who didn't make money off me is myself!"

But now it is time to return to his charges. And he fires off this parting shot.

"I try to encourage a lot of them to dedicate themselves to their soccer, because right now there are opportunities."

submitted: Fri, 2008-08-01 23:11 — ttfh Ian Clauzel Trinidad Express

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:08:59 PM by palos »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2008, 10:45:01 AM »
motherf#ckers...stay strong Clauzel
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2008, 12:23:15 PM »
Verron Skinner is a BIG call dey jai... Beer Mug

Allyuh making Truetrini happy.

1]; } ?>