April 28, 2024, 05:17:52 PM

Author Topic: Gray & John  (Read 4141 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gray & John
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:23:51 AM »
I see Maturana has left out Avery and Cyd from the 18 man squad to face Cuba,our 2 most experienced defenders.The fact is we dont even have to win and even a loss may not affect us coz the best Guatemala con do with the USA match is a draw,and we will be able to see the result before the match with Cuba.With all due respect to Avery and Cyd my heart is always in my mouth when they make a tackle.I think its a good idea to give the other defenders a chance to experience the big time,it will do them good.
JONES ADDED TO 18-MAN SQUAD TO FACE CUBA      

Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones has been included in an 18-man squad announced by National Team head coach Francisco Maturana for the upcoming 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifier against Cuba at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on November 19.

Jones, recently back from a knee injury was not called upon initially for international duty since making a return to the Sunderland team last month, being given the necessary time to settle back into the game after the lengthy lay off. But Jones on Saturday made himself available, expressing his interest in returning to international duty for T&T in the encounter against Cuba. Maturana and his staff along with the TTFF willingly invited the big striker for the affair.

Jones now joins Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy (Falkirk), Carlos Edwards (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Chris Birchall (Coventry City), Clayton Ince (Walsall), Stern John (Bristol City), Jason Scotland (Swansea City), Dennis Lawrence (Swansea City), Josh Johnson (Rhyl FC) and Anthony Warner (Hull City).

TTFF Special Advisor Jack Warner welcomed Jones’ return to the national team, adding that like every other player, Jones will be well looked after while on duty for T&T.

“We are happy to have him back in the team. At first he was not called into the squad because of the fact that he was only now coming back from injury and we all know how difficult it can be a for a player to get back to his accustomed place in the starting team for  a club. We felt that it would serve him well to allow him that time.

“But when he indicated that he wanted to make a return for the Cuba game, we thought about it… Maturana and company and we went ahead with the invitation. It will give him a chance to fit back into the team before the critical matches we should have coming up next year, once of course we seal our  spot with a positive result against Cuba,” Warner told TTFF Media on Sunday.

“We were in touch on Saturday, Dwight and myself as well and both players are looking forward to the match on November 19 with a high amount of interest.”

The rest of the squad includes defenders Makan Hislop (United Petrotrin), Julius James (Toronto FC),  Seon Power and Keyeno Thomas and  midfielders Keon Daniel (United Petrotrin), Khaleem Hyland (SV Zulte Waregem), Clyde Leon (W Connection).

Jones said on the weekend that he is feeling good again.

"Things are all right with me now physically, so there's no need to make any more of it than it was. It's a long time since the injury, and you have to remember that this is football, things like this happen. It wasn't a malicious challenge so there's no point in trying to bear grudges. I'm still here and I'm still playing, so I thank God for that."

Jones played 30 minutes against Newcastle United, a full half against Stoke City and an hour against Chelsea on the comeback trail. But he was not in the team for Saturday’s 2-1 loss to Portsmouth,

"I'm slowly getting back in my own mind to being a 100 per cent fit Kenwyne Jones, mentally and physically. Whether I am fully fit or not, we will have to wait and see on the pitch – that's where you find out.”

T&T 18-man squad
1.Anthony Warner, Clayton Ince, Makan Hislop,  Dennis Lawrence, Seon Power, Keyeno Thomas,  Julius James, Dwight Yorke  Josh Johnson, Keon Daniel, Khaleem Hyland,  Carlos Edwards,  Chris Birchall, Clyde Leon, Russell Latapy,  Stern John, Kenwyne Jones, Jason Scotland
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 07:26:37 AM by Flex »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Gray & John
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:33:25 AM »
Josh Johnson for right back?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:39:23 AM »
So that means we have no left backs for the Cuba game.  At least he consistent.  Every game his selection policy continues to baffle us fans.  De man get tired of de Akile Edwards vs Avery John  saga so he drop both ah dem.

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
All due respect... I think Maturana and his staff is being very disrespectful to two players who should of gain the respect from the TTFF.... They may not be no Dwight Yorke/Russell Latapy but they have always given their all to the country and still show that they are better in the position as of now.

I know people will say this and that... but the fact is that the CUBA game should be treated as a MUST WIN cause a loss could mean we are out if Guatemala wins.

I wont be surprsie if this "CRAZY" technical staff bring back Lawrence and dont even play him making us play with a very inexperienced back 4

For de love of de game

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:26:54 AM »
So that means we have no left backs for the Cuba game. 
And no cover at right back (unless you count Carlos), and about 27 midfielders.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »
julius cud play left back

everybody seems suprised at the selection policy.....allyuh forget is mats who doin this thing?
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
We shouldn't be experimenting too much with this match. It may turn out that we have to win, and the very best squad should be selected. I could understand the fans being presumptuous..but the technical staff? Who knows..maybe Mats doh rate Cyd and Avery. Even so..what's up with all the 'experimental' picks?

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 09:43:07 AM »

everybody seems suprised at the selection policy.....allyuh forget is mats who doin this thing?

I'm sure he could, but he's never done so for T&T before so if that was the plan why not give him a run out at LB in the Digicel matches to see how he performs there ???  And what happens if, god forbid, James gets injured during the match - who go play LB then?  has Power ever played on the left?  At least if we had Cyd there he could make the switch to the left side if necessary, as he did during the world cup.
Do we REALLY need to have BOTH Clyde Leon AND Hyland in this 18?  Why not put in Avery (or even Aklie) even if you have them on the bench in case of injury/red card?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 09:44:54 AM »
Arrow return 2 sarcasm u talkin 2much sense
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 09:54:17 AM »

Is you say de man closing he eye and dipping he hand in ah hat?

We shoulda have a competition to see who could pick out the most obscure man to get de next call.
Who coulda predict Josh Johnson and Anthony Warner getting ah call...?

Evans Wise might be next... Nah fawk that I going with Peter Prosper and Gary Glasgow for Digicel Finals and possibly a forumite might get ah surprise call... maybe Tallman in de post or Big Mag in de middle... watch and see
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »

Is you say de man closing he eye and dipping he hand in ah hat?

We shoulda have a competition to see who could pick out the most obscure man to get de next call.
Who coulda predict Josh Johnson and Anthony Warner getting ah call...?

Evans Wise might be next... Nah fawk that I going with Peter Prosper and Gary Glasgow for Digicel Finals and possibly a forumite might get ah surprise call... maybe Tallman in de post or Big Mag in de middle... watch and see

Whappen is pick-a-pan or what?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:09:31 AM »
We shouldn't be experimenting too much with this match. It may turn out that we have to win, and the very best squad should be selected. I could understand the fans being presumptuous..but the technical staff? Who knows..maybe Mats doh rate Cyd and Avery. Even so..what's up with all the 'experimental' picks?
How many "experimental picks" on dis side?  Which one's are they?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 10:10:24 AM »
Pick a pan u only had 1 pan with a bogey pan wit dis fella all d pan is ah bogey pan
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:08 AM »

Any new pick now would be regarded as "experimental picks."   Even KJ, as the players from the Guatemala and USA games should be constant. They vibes-ing and would be ready to see the job through, as opposed to players coming to prove they pick.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 10:16:27 AM »

Any new pick now would be regarded as "experimental picks."   Even KJ, as the players from the Guatemala and USA games should be constant. They vibes-ing and would be ready to see the job through, as opposed to players coming to prove they pick.

Like how we "vibes" against Guatemala in Guatemala and de USA at home?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 10:26:18 AM »

Yep, USA in the HCS.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 10:28:40 AM »
Remeber Mats from Columbia

He accustomed to players with good technique

Avery and Cyd both have poor technique

I could just see how they just would not be in favour.

We believe in them because they have tenure and up till today there is no ready replacement on either side.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 10:29:47 AM »

Yep, USA in the HCS.

And exactly how long were that group of players "together" before those games?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 10:31:42 AM »

Off the top of my head I would say bringing in Power, Warner and Josh Johnson is 'experimental'. Even picking an injured KJ as well. Notice I used quotes, so is not like we doh know what they about, but I'm just a little surprised that guys who haven't played any real part in the campaign or have little senior team experience will get selected for such a crucial match. I figured the Digicel and the break between the semifinal round and hex were more ideal for trying some new things. No scene. As long as they get the job done I happy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:33:24 AM by Filho »

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
Whoever playing at left back will be experimental. Whoever de cover is, should Power get injured, will be experimental.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »
The fact is we dont even have to win and even a loss may not affect us coz the best Guatemala con do with the USA match is a draw,and we will be able to see the result before the match with Cuba.

Yuh sure about dis??  Different time zone!!

As for the rest of the post, oh gosh man is Maturana we talking about.  I know men will bring up his win-loss record but yuh have to sit and watch this team game after game and realize that there is no pattern to our play.  But we winning, and as Touches would say it is Corbeaux brand for real.

Blessing
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:07:41 AM by Lower St. John »
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 11:15:04 AM »
Whoever playing at left back will be experimental. Whoever de cover is, should Power get injured, will be experimental.

Which players were "experimental" when we played Cuba in Cuba?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »

Yep, USA in the HCS.

And exactly how long were that group of players "together" before those games?

They weren't together long but  the squad that play USA had an "aha" moment and I would think the players on that team would be feeling like they could depend on each other now.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 11:36:36 AM »
Remeber Mats from Columbia

He accustomed to players with good technique

Avery and Cyd both have poor technique

I could just see how they just would not be in favour.

We believe in them because they have tenure and up till today there is no ready replacement on either side.

And Seon Power have good technique, right?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 11:40:25 AM »
They weren't together long but  the squad that play USA had an "aha" moment and I would think the players on that team would be feeling like they could depend on each other now.

But if daz de case, how come yuh eh name Spann or Akile Edwards in any a de 3 squad yuh name on DIS THREAD??  ;D

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2008, 11:51:38 AM »

Which players were "experimental" when we played Cuba in Cuba?

Palos you asking good questions but right now the team being experimental for the Cuba game in Cuba worked out, so to all the other game (except for USA in Chi-town) that Maturana keep making changes. However, This is a crucial game for us. It seems that some fans think this is water under the bridge, but this house is made of cards and can fall really quick. Cuba shocked Guatemala and apparently we (including) the technical staff underestimating Cuba. Apparently we learn nothing from Bermuda v T&T. We cannot wait until the Hex to solidify a team, the team should be solidify now and we should be ironing out little wrinkle in terms of "how we play" as opposed to who our team would be.

The Hex is a time to be flying not taking of from the hangar. I think Maturana is tryiong for the team not to peak to early, but from highlights and reports of people who attended the game we are a long way away from peaking. When you have players still trying to understand their role in the team set up or whether or not they will be part of the team the last thing you worry about is peaking. Example, our lack of understanding and organization in defending freekicks show that we are a long way away from getting it right. In getting it right we need to have a pool about 20-30 players with a core 18. Right now we probably have a core 5-7 players, not good enough. What Maturana is doing now should have been done after the WC, but we know how that went. Right now calls for a Beenie type method of moving forward. The fringe players can continue to develop by training with the Technical staff and playing games as an alternative senior team.
As it stands no player have anything to truly work towards because there exist no method to the madness and players may get frustrated quicker (Stern john, Scotland, Samuel, Theobald, etc), rather than persist with the National set up.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2008, 11:55:04 AM »

But if daz de case, how come yuh eh name Spann or Akile Edwards in any a de 3 squad yuh name on DIS THREAD??  ;D

I picked my team based on the players made available by the technical staff. My team pick is different from my argument for consistency in the team selection process.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »
FF... I wont play inder Maturana..as a matter of fact..I am anouncing my international retirement right now...
i will reconsider my international future when he goes...i will put my efforts into my club team ( fete match)

maybe Tallman will accept the call up..because he needs international caps to play in dem foreign leagues
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Julius James... what i was very impressed with at teh st Kitts match.. he is very two footed...and i mean very comfortable... he was playing long 40-50 yrd passes with both feet.. and he controls and moves the ball with both feet... now thats not why he can play left back...but...thats where he will play by the looks of the 18 man squad

Ince
Power      thomas   lawrence   James
c Edwards    birchall  Yorke     daniel 
                      Latapy
                      S John
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
No way Power deserve that call. He get beat from every player who attack him in the Digicel Cup.

1]; } ?>