April 19, 2024, 08:26:44 AM

Author Topic: ‘Compre’ skipper Molino wants to be like Gerrard  (Read 3519 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Compre’ skipper Molino wants to be like Gerrard
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:56:37 AM »
‘Compre’ skipper Molino wants to be like Gerrard.
By Kwame Williams (Trinidad Guardian)

“Success is achieved only through hard work”

Upon entering the car park in Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive, one is sure to notice these words boldly plastered in maroon letters on a wall just outside of the teachers’ lounge. This is the school’s motto.

Its strategic placement was obviously meant to ensure that students making their way to machine shop and welding classes at the back of the compound, the audio visual room in the school’s middle building, the hall to the front, or any of the regular classrooms, would have no choice but to pass it on a daily basis and hopefully be inspired.

One pupil who fully embodies Mucurapo’s principles is the captain of its senior football team – Kevin Molino. When the Arena visited him at school recently, the 18-year-old Hague Street, Carenage resident was eager to discuss his experiences as a footballer, current and past campaigns with ‘Compre’ (Mucurapo) in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL), and his goals for the future.

Molino, a central midfielder by trade, led his school to the 2008 BGTT North Zone title – Mucurapo’s third in his four years and his second since debuting for the team in 2006.

He has been at the centre of Mucurapo’s success this season, notching 10 goals in the league and setting up an abundance for his teammates, as the high-scoring ‘Compre’ ran rings around its opponents in the zone.

In the race for the league’s “Most Valuable Player” award, Molino has to be considered as one of the front-runners. He is by no means the most imposing figure you will come across on a football pitch, but what he lacks in size, he more than makes up for with technique and skill.

Plus the level of maturity and confidence in his play simply makes him a joy to watch.

For those who have followed his young career, brilliance on the field of play is no more than is expected of him really, and his image was enhanced even further when the Junior Warriors qualified for the 2007 Under-17 World Cup in South Korea. Molino’s 13th minute strike giving T&T a 1-0 win over hosts Jamaica.

“That was the proudest moment of my life. I remember everything clearly as if it just happened. It was a quick free-kick played to me just outside the box. I took it and hit far-post beyond the keeper,” he recalled.

Playing against quality oppositions like Ghana, Germany and Columbia at the tournament helped to highlight his and his teammates’ shortcomings, with T&T losing all three of its matches. However, this, in his opinion, was not a completely bad thing and is probably the reason the classy play-maker performs at such a high level today.

“The World Cup experience was great but it was also a real eye-opener for us. I believe further down the road we can benefit from what happened to us there. Our opponents were faster, stronger and much better prepared than us. They were ready.

“It also made me realise that I need to get stronger, both mentally and physically,” he said.

This, his third and final year as a Mucurapo player, has been Molino’s best from a personal stand-point, but as far as he is concerned, all the accolades he has been receiving will count for nothing if he does not leave Mucurapo with either the North Zone Intercol or national Intercol title under his belt.

This became even more of a priority after Mucurapo lost this year’s Big Five final 2-1 to South kings Naparima College two weeks ago.

“This is the second time I’ve lost a Big Five final. The first time was in 2006 when we lost on penalties. We started the match too slowly and we paid for it. The concentration wasn’t there.

“But I would love to win Intercol and I think we have a really good chance of doing it. We have a good team. All we need to do now is focus and put it together as a team and we can go all the way.”

Originally from Arima, Kevin moved to the Western part of the island to live with his grandmother at the age of 10. Already obsessed with football, Carenage, an area rich in footballing tradition and responsible for producing some of the nation’s most talented footballers like Ron La Forest, former ‘Compre’ player Angus Eve, and more recently, Khaleem Hyland, who was Molino’s teammate in 2006, helped to nurture his love for the game.

The San Juan Jabloteh youth team representative hopes to one day emulate his idol, Steven Gerrard, the captain of English Premiership team Liverpool, and play for one of the “big teams” in Europe. More importantly though, he wants to make T&T proud wearing the kit of the Soca Warriors.

“My goal was always to play at three World Cups. I’ve been to one already so I have two more to reach. And hopefully they will be with the senior team.”

With loads of talent in his arsenal, who is to say that the name Kevin Molino won’t, in time to come, be mentioned in football forums along with the Lionel Messis, Christiano Ronaldos and Steven Gerrards of the world. And once this youngster stays on the right path, one suspects that before long he will become a pivotal part of the Warriors set up as well.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:03:19 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Compre’ skipper Molino wants to be like Gerrard
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:02:23 AM »
go on son...

you do your thing... imagine and focus...

praise the young and they will blossom!
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:28:22 AM »
He sounds very motivated and passionate about the game.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:12:36 AM »
Kwame spelled Gerrard's name wrong in the title...but nice article. Great to read something positive and see a young man who is self-motivated  :beermug:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 10:15:29 AM by boss »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »
18 years old and still in Secondary School?

I hope he in Sixth Form.

Offline Marky NYC

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 12:10:54 PM »
I just read this as well, anyone have any video with this youth palying?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »

Does any of we youths want to be like any of our locals or heroes?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »

Funny you mention this eh Saga, but it's one of the 1st thing that came to my mind (not to cry down dde yute man eh), is the era of Latas, Dwight, Shaka, etc so distant from the up and coming generation that their focus is on emulating ballers like Messi, etc?  Or does it point towards the fact that we don't have TT stars who have attained similar heights to the aforementioned (as yet)?  Or is this yute man unique in selecting a non-TT player to emulate?
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:53:14 PM »
What a diver?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
what tnt midfielder ever played on gerrard level??? saga
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »

Funny you mention this eh Saga, but it's one of the 1st thing that came to my mind (not to cry down dde yute man eh), is the era of Latas, Dwight, Shaka, etc so distant from the up and coming generation that their focus is on emulating ballers like Messi, etc?  Or does it point towards the fact that we don't have TT stars who have attained similar heights to the aforementioned (as yet)?  Or is this yute man unique in selecting a non-TT player to emulate?

When men say Let Latas coach because he is an Icon players will respond and I say the youths and them not identifying with Latas and Yorke like our generation may have, men tell me I don't know what I talking about.
We have to remember men have internet and FSC, so they watching players play week in and week out. Before the USA game when was the last time them men see Latas play?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 02:59:22 PM »

Has Gerrard ever accomplished what Yorke accomplished?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 03:01:40 PM »

the youth is ah midfielder. yuh want him to be like shaka too?  plus that was like a decade ago
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 03:04:25 PM by morvant »

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 03:02:20 PM »
noticed Molino blank thew u-20s to play with the school...

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »

Well since you mention it,and if I understood you correctly you did say ever played on the level of gerrard,here goes to mention a few, latas, jamerson,yorke in his new adopted midfield role and I might add a better midfielder than gerrard,now if the question was who marketed better,I would say gerrard,but there's no way gerrard could compare with those legends....

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 03:11:15 PM »

Well since you mention it,and if I understood you correctly you did say ever played on the level of gerrard,here goes to mention a few, latas, jamerson,yorke in his new adopted midfield role and I might add a better midfielder than gerrard,now if the question was who marketed better,I would say gerrard,but there's no way gerrard could compare with those legends....

latas is great local hero and made it big in scotland and portugal. jamerson play for defense force and score three goals fuh the national team and yorke as a midfielder cant regularly start on a OK prem side. while stevie g did what exactly?  you think yorke in his current form could captain england?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 03:15:14 PM »

the youth is ah midfielder. yuh want him to be like shaka too?  plus that was like a decade ago

Morvant I credit you for a better response that man!! elan when mentioned shakas name was reffering to an era of tnt heroes not specifically midfielders....

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
i didnt even notice it was elan said it i taught it was saga lol

when i in the corner i does just swing

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »

latas is great local hero and made it big in scotland and portugal. jamerson play for defense force and score three goals fuh the national team and yorke as a midfielder cant regularly start on a OK prem side. while stevie g did what exactly?  you think yorke in his current form could captain england?

Yuh left out recently taking sydney fc to a championship,and by the way has gerrard ever been tested outside of the premiership?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 03:20:19 PM »

Yuh left out recently taking sydney fc to a championship,and by the way has gerrard ever been tested outside of the premiership?

in the champions league

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2008, 03:27:43 PM »

My bad I meant has he ever played for another club outside of england like yorke has or latas.....

in the champions league

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »

I late tuh de debate so this may have already been covered... but players tend to emulate (or try to) stars who play their position, so assuming he's a mid, that leaves only Latas as a role model out of the three you mention.  Many of our generation didn't see Latas play in his prime, let alone the kids coming up after us.  It's unfortunate that the yutes then turn to foreign players, but in the end understandable, no?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2008, 04:28:14 PM »
There is nothing wrong with this kid emulating a foreign "star" who he see on tv more often than the local star. In my time there was not much tv as now, but what little we saw we emulated them. But we use to see the local stars more often and we emaulated them also.

If all yuh think it is wrong for him to emulate a foreigner instead of a local, then why it is we support them foreign clubs so passionately?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2008, 05:50:05 PM »

I late tuh de debate so this may have already been covered... but players tend to emulate (or try to) stars who play their position, so assuming he's a mid, that leaves only Latas as a role model out of the three you mention.  Many of our generation didn't see Latas play in his prime, let alone the kids coming up after us.  It's unfortunate that the yutes then turn to foreign players, but in the end understandable, no?

Definitely understandable, that's why I posted so many questions (seeking answers), in the end I guess there may be a consensus on this regarding how much of the primed stars (Latas et al) that youths today would have seen and the subsequent local deficit of the aforementioned, so def. understandable.  As I said before, not crying down de yute and wish him well, I was personally just curious...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2008, 06:10:40 PM »

ah find dat funny..granted we on ah forum here eh, but jesus christ let de youth pick who he want to emulate nah, i sure he must be never even study how come he picking Gerrard over local man...he does just does be watching Gerrard do he thing on tv and (quite rightly) saying to heself, boy i go pattern my game after dis fellah and maybe ah go be allright.....right now i wish some lil school boy could make up he mind to emulate another english white boy, yuh know da one dat does come and run, run, run for de SocaWarriors nah, lord knows we need more like he.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
If all yuh think it is wrong for him to emulate a foreigner instead of a local, then why it is we support them foreign clubs so passionately?

In light of the last sentence in my post "it is unfortunate"... I'll clarify, I don't think it's unfortunate that they emulate the foreign stars.  I don't even think it's unfortunate that they do so over the local stars... just unfortunate that many yutes don't fully appreciate the local stars, or that the local stars don't get the full acclaim they deserve.

Kids can look up to whomever they please cuz I sure back in the day nuff yutes around the world get turned onto football by men like Pele.

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »
I wonder if he got the opprtunity to see his hero play in person at the HCS in June?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2008, 02:04:05 AM »
noticed Molino blank thew u-20s to play with the school...

lol u sure it aint de next way around...u sure he was not selected for the under 20 team is what you meant to say

1]; } ?>