March 28, 2024, 07:25:58 AM

Author Topic: Drogba, Money & Violence  (Read 1557 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
Drogba, Money & Violence
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:57:32 PM »
Premier League - Police to investigate Drogba incident

Eurosport - Thu, 13 Nov 20:05:00 2008

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/13112008/58/premier-league-police-investigate-drogba-incident.html

The Metropolitan Police and the FA have confirmed they are investigating an incident involving Chelsea striker Didier Drogba in which he threw an object at Burnley fans during their Carling Cup match.

The striker threw the object, believed to be a coin, back into the crowd after scoring the opening goal and also appeared to gesture at the away fans.

Drogba was quick to apologise, but a Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "I can confirm we are investigating the incident. An inquiry is being conducted by the Football Unit at Fulham police station. No-one has been arrested."

An FA spokesman added: "We are investigating. That's all I can say until we have had a chance to look into it further."

Drogba, who was shown a yellow card for his actions, said: "This is something I want to make clear. I tried to celebrate the goal and I received some things at me.

"The big mistake I did was to throw it back so if someone was hurt, I just want to apologise for it.

"This is not something I should show in a football match and I want to apologise.

"It was an incident in the heat of the moment and I regret it. It was just a mistake and nothing more."

Drogba had put Chelsea ahead in their Carling Cup fourth-round tie against the Coca-Cola Championship side with a superb curling effort into the bottom corner.

But a shock equaliser 20 minutes from time from Burnley's veteran striker Ade Akinbiyi stunned the Barclays Premier League leaders.

With the tie still level at 1-1 at the end of extra time, Burnley goalkeeper Brian Jensen saved from Wayne Bridge and John Mikel Obi to send Chelsea crashing out of the competition.

Chelsea said on Wednesday night that they will await the referee's report before commenting further. Burnley manager Owen Coyle and Chelsea coach Luiz Felipe Scolari said they did not see the incident.

Scolari said: "I have not spoken with Didier about any problem. The referee gave him a yellow card but I did not see what happened."

In 2002, Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher was sent off in an FA Cup tie against Arsenal at Highbury after throwing a coin back into the crowd. He received a mandatory three-match ban.

He was interviewed by police but no further action was taken. However, Carragher was fined by the club and warned as to his future conduct.

AFP

So while some of us are quick to point out that Chelsea always receives leniency from the FA, and have double standards, let's take this incident in light of the precedent set in the Carragher incident - by extension, Kung-Fu Cantona, as well as the infamous Detriot-Indiana bust up in the NBA a few seasons ago.

What and how should Drogba be dealt with in this case?

-- Even as a Chelsea fan, I couldn't help but chuckle at this response:
Cant understand Drogbas double standards . Abramovich has been throwing money at him for years and hes not complained once
From klebewok, on Thu 13 Nov 9:21PM
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Drogba charged for throwing coin at crowd
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 06:09:24 PM »
LONDON, England (AP) -- Chelsea striker Didier Drogba was charged with violent conduct by the English Football Association on Friday for throwing a coin back into the crowd during a League Cup game against Burnley.

Drogba, right, throws a coin back into the Burnley fans after scoring for Chelsea on Wednesday.

TV replays showed Drogba, who had just scored, pick up a coin which had apparently been thrown by a Burnley fan and hurl it back into the crowd during Wednesday's match.

The FA said that referee Keith Stroud gave Drogba a yellow card for going toward the Burnley supporters to celebrate but had not seen the missile incident.

Drogba has until the end of Friday to respond to the charge, and a disciplinary committee will decide on the case Monday. If found guilty, Drogba could be fined or banned for up to three games.

The game at Chelsea's Stamford Bridge ended 1-1, and second-tier side Burnley shocked their Premier League hosts by advancing to the quarterfinals after winning a penalty shootout.

Burnley could also face disciplinary action as a result of the coin-throwing incident. Police are also investigating.

Don't Miss
Your say: Share your view in the CNN football debate
Cech injury blow for Czechs and Chelsea
Chelsea dumped out of Carling Cup by Burnley
The FA said players should be able to play football without fear for their personal safety, adding it was unacceptable for them to be put in danger by supporters throwing objects.

After the game, Drogba issued a statement through Chelsea apologizing for his actions.

"I tried to celebrate the goal and I received some things at me," he said. "The big mistake I did was to throw it back, so if someone was hurt I just want to apologize for it. This is not something I should show in a football match and I want to apologize.

"It was an incident in the heat of the moment and I regret it. It was just a mistake and nothing more."

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher was sent off in an FA Cup tie against Arsenal in 2002 after throwing a coin back into the crowd, and later received a three-match ban.

Wednesday's incident came a month after a linesman was hit by an object thrown by a fan at an Aston Villa-Portsmouth game, although reports said it may have been aimed at one of the Portsmouth management team.

A week later, Newcastle midfielder Joey Barton was showered with bottles and coins by Sunderland fans while warming up as a substitute.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
Re: Drogba charged for throwing coin at crowd
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
hmmmmphh...

de man get excited an decide to buss somebody head...

dats not unusual... ???

hmmmmm...yuh eh see that is dotishness!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 07:23:17 PM »
IMHO,it's about managing the right$ of 'Fans' vs 'Players'.There are inequities here and it's not difficult to see why Drogba would be

on the receiving end of ah $#!T stick, similar to Eric Cantona.It's akin to the Republican's, 'Trickle down ideology'.The Fans are the

Revenue Earner and Hooliganism /Assholeism prevails.They flaunt the right to be Hooligans and commit improprieties w/impunity.

Socawarrior fans are renowned for good behavior.Why ? Peace. :thinking:

i
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 07:43:02 PM by mwanasoka »
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:23:55 AM »
IMHO,it's about managing the right$ of 'Fans' vs 'Players'.There are inequities here and it's not difficult to see why Drogba would be

on the receiving end of ah $#!T stick, similar to Eric Cantona.It's akin to the Republican's, 'Trickle down ideology'.The Fans are the

Revenue Earner and Hooliganism /Assholeism prevails.They flaunt the right to be Hooligans and commit improprieties w/impunity.

Socawarrior fans are renowned for good behavior.Why ? Peace. :thinking:

i

I am completely lost.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:26:50 AM »

I am completely lost.

u supporting arsenal now?  ;D
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »

I am completely lost.

Nah, I didn't say I was worshipping false Gods ..... (aka The Voyeur)  ;D

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:55:16 PM »

I am completely lost.

Nah, I didn't say I was worshipping false Gods ..... (aka The Voyeur)  ;D

:-X
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>