April 25, 2024, 07:52:37 AM

Author Topic: Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes  (Read 2141 times)

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:40:14 PM »
Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes
      Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Digg Facebook Newsvine del.icio.us Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print By JESSE WASHINGTON, AP National Writer Jesse Washington, Ap National Writer – 53 mins ago \

AP Cross burnings. Schoolchildren chanting "Assassinate Obama." Black figures hung from nooses. Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Incidents around the country referring to President-elect Barack Obama are dampening the postelection glow of racial progress and harmony, highlighting the stubborn racism that remains in America.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of alleged crimes, from vandalism and vague threats to at least one physical attack. Insults and taunts have been delivered by adults, college students and second-graders.

There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

One was in Snellville, Ga., where Denene Millner said a boy on the school bus told her 9-year-old daughter the day after the election: "I hope Obama gets assassinated." That night, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs, and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door, Millner said.

She described her emotions as a combination of anger and fear.

"I can't say that every white person in Snellville is evil and anti-Obama and willing to desecrate my property because one or two idiots did it," said Millner, who is black. "But it definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with, and makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he believes there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old white Georgia native, expressed similar sentiments: "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change.

"If you had real change it would involve all the members of (Obama's) church being deported," he said.

Change in whatever form does not come easy, and a black president is "the most profound change in the field of race this country has experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on which the country has existed for centuries."

"Someone once said racism is like cancer," Ferris said. "It's never totally wiped out, it's in remission."

If so, America's remission lasted until the morning of Nov. 5.

The day after the vote hailed as a sign of a nation changed, black high school student Barbara Tyler of Marietta, Ga., said she heard hateful Obama comments from white students, and that teachers cut off discussion about Obama's victory.

Tyler spoke at a press conference by the Georgia chapter of the NAACP calling for a town hall meeting to address complaints from across the state about hostility and resentment. Another student, from a Covington middle school, said he was suspended for wearing an Obama shirt to school Nov. 5 after the principal told students not to wear political paraphernalia.

The student's mother, Eshe Riviears, said the principal told her: "Whether you like it or not, we're in the South, and there are a lot of people who are not happy with this decision."

Other incidents include:

_Four North Carolina State University students admitted writing anti-Obama comments in a tunnel designated for free speech expression, including one that said: "Let's shoot that (N-word) in the head." Obama has received more threats than any other president-elect, authorities say.

_At Standish, Maine, a sign inside the Oak Hill General Store read: "Osama Obama Shotgun Pool." Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a date when Obama would be killed. "Stabbing, shooting, roadside bombs, they all count," the sign said. At the bottom of the marker board was written "Let's hope someone wins."

_Racist graffiti was found in places including New York's Long Island, where two dozen cars were spray-painted; Kilgore, Texas, where the local high school and skate park were defaced; and the Los Angeles area, where swastikas, racial slurs and "Go Back To Africa" were spray painted on sidewalks, houses and cars.

_Second- and third-grade students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho, chanted "assassinate Obama," a district official said.

_University of Alabama professor Marsha L. Houston said a poster of the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur. "It seems the election brought the racist rats out of the woodwork," Houston said.

_Black figures were hanged by nooses from trees on Mount Desert Island, Maine, the Bangor Daily News reported. The president of Baylor University in Waco, Texas said a rope found hanging from a campus tree was apparently an abandoned swing and not a noose.

_Crosses were burned in yards of Obama supporters in Hardwick, N.J., and Apolacan Township, Pa.

_A black teenager in New York City said he was attacked with a bat on election night by four white men who shouted 'Obama.'

_In the Pittsburgh suburb of Forest Hills, a black man said he found a note with a racial slur on his car windshield, saying "now that you voted for Obama, just watch out for your house."

Emotions are often raw after a hard-fought political campaign, but now those on the losing side have an easy target for their anger.

"The principle is very simple," said BJ Gallagher, a sociologist and co-author of the diversity book "A Peacock in the Land of Penguins." "If I can't hurt the person I'm angry at, then I'll vent my anger on a substitute, i.e., someone of the same race."

"We saw the same thing happen after the 9-11 attacks, as a wave of anti-Muslim violence swept the country. We saw it happen after the Rodney King verdict, when Los Angeles blacks erupted in rage at the injustice perpetrated by 'the white man.'"

"It's as stupid and ineffectual as kicking your dog when you've had a bad day at the office," Gallagher said. "But it happens a lot."

___

Associated Press writers Errin Haines, Jerry Harkavy, Jay Reeves, Johnny Clark and researcher Rhonda Shafner contributed to this report.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Re: Election spurs 'hundreds' of race threats, crimes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »
Yep ,ah youth man geh beat down in staten island two white youths held .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 08:12:01 PM »

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:52:13 AM »

A A ! tt yuh back!! breddren ah really thought yuh give the board ah rest oui. i was worried about yuh, anyway, welcome back horse.                          positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:29:28 AM »
times-a-changin.  everybody know all this under there long before obama win, but now is a period to deal with it, and show that them elements is a twisted minority.  hopefully someone talk to them youths on the bus (that was the most disturbing to me), so that by the time they grow up, they come to know that racism is folly.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 02:19:43 PM »
times-a-changin.  everybody know all this under there long before obama win, but now is a period to deal with it, and show that them elements is a twisted minority.  hopefully someone talk to them youths on the bus (that was the most disturbing to me), so that by the time they grow up, they come to know that racism is folly.

Agreed!!

I wonder if people thinking that because Obama is the President elect of US of A that racism, crime against minorites will decreased ??? I really hope not, because there are still some people that want to take out their frustrations and insecurities on others that don't look like them. Martin walked, Rosia sat, Rodney get his arse cut, upteen people get dragged behind a truck/car - in this century only. Yeah, voters spoke out and they were all heard, but don't doubt that some voters just didn't want Palin as President.  Because of his skin complexion he has alot of things to do in 4 years, and i'm not speaking about the ecomony.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
de body of de ecuadorian they stab in long island was flown back to his country yesterday,they hold 7 youths,5 white and 2 creole.they said they went hunting fuh ah spanish.huh.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 06:43:30 AM »
Was driving through Upper Florida and Georgia a few days ago and I have to admit, some of the race talk spilled out on the Air waves. My wife was in disbelief.... This fella in a jacked up truck, with CSA signs and confederate flags, was telling us he is a real american.....  ???

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 07:35:58 AM »
Was driving through Upper Florida and Georgia a few days ago and I have to admit, some of the race talk spilled out on the Air waves. My wife was in disbelief.... This fella in a jacked up truck, with CSA signs and confederate flags, was telling us he is a real american.....  ???

These people are so coward and so stupid and they are a funny study if only it were possible to just "study" them from a distance.  Reflexive reaction is to get vex and want to arm yuh self to be prepared to pop some melons if things get ugly enough to warrant a nationwide uprising.  Ironically though, these cowards are smart enough to not let their idiocy get so out of hand as to spark no riots in this place.  On the other hand, for those that welcome the changes that come with progress, is just best to enjoy it and be a progressive part of it.  Ultimately, time will be these people's own worst enemy.   

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 08:05:00 AM »
well all i have to say is all dem "real american" better learn spanish.

la raza go breed out all ah dem within 50 years.

idaho go be the US version of westmooring in racial compostion only.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »
De thing I doh understand this "american" dem always defending is what??? Because to me the American way of life, culture and upbringings is an adaptation of some cultures respectfully, and intermingled with environmental influences....

You can go state to state and everyone is different in the way they speak, think or act...  So what is American is the thing I does try to figure out....?

De only real culture I does see Americans have is: "we great, we big and we bad attitude" Sad because the first settlement in Florida was Spanish..... how come dey do embrace dat??? but a flag with x and stars, you'll call your heritage...?

De funny thing is that one radio station call de Obama.... de next Hitler... and that Palin was filled with the holy glost....

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
De thing I doh understand this "american" dem always defending is what??? Because to me the American way of life, culture and upbringings is an adaptation of some cultures respectfully, and intermingled with environmental influences....

You can go state to state and everyone is different in the way they speak, think or act...  So what is American is the thing I does try to figure out....?

De only real culture I does see Americans have is: "we great, we big and we bad attitude" Sad because the first settlement in Florida was Spanish..... how come dey do embrace dat??? but a flag with x and stars, you'll call your heritage...?

De funny thing is that one radio station call de Obama.... de next Hitler... and that Palin was filled with the holy glost....
BRO !! you have to learn to read between the lines. true Americans sentiments comes mainly from the heartland and the bible belt, they see themselves as the true blue and red blooded Americans since their ancestors has been in those lands since the American revolution which their ancestors shed their blood to preserve their freedom from british and french colonialist.

now i not buying into that nonsense in the least , but to better understand that mindset yuh have to be/ been in an all American institution like the military where there is ah tradition of these type of hard line pro Americans who could go back to at least 7 generations of military service.

these ppl believe since their ancestors shed blood and fought tooth and nail to preserve their new found identity, that no group but true blue americans should benefit and prosper from their ancestors endeavors.

they believe in the founding principles and preserving it is paramount, i'm sure i don't have to enlighten you on these principles.

when obama won the election it shattered the all exclusive good ole boys club status quo, and a so called betrayal blow was dealt to the traditionalist massive, take ah look @ the red states and you'll see how the heartland and the bible belt with the exclusion of NC voted to preseve founding principles even though it may not have been in their best interest.

what you're seeing now is quite normal, it been happening every day in this country for generations, only because we have ah black pres it's been intensified in the eyes of the media,but that's been the norm from the inception, after all it's the the true blue american way.

PS: the confederate flag could've easily been the flag of the USA if the south triumphed in the civil war, it's just ah relic that proclaims the old southern and heartland principles & values, it's no big deal, in other words it's redneck memorabilia IMO.            positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 09:44:24 PM »

BRO !! you have to learn to read between the lines. true Americans sentiments comes mainly from the heartland and the bible belt, they see themselves as the true blue and red blooded Americans since their ancestors has been in those lands since the American revolution which their ancestors shed their blood to preserve their freedom from british and french colonialist.

now i not buying into that nonsense in the least , but to better understand that mindset yuh have to be/ been in an all American institution like the military where there is ah tradition of these type of hard line pro Americans who could go back to at least 7 generations of military service.

these ppl believe since their ancestors shed blood and fought tooth and nail to preserve their new found identity, that no group but true blue americans should benefit and prosper from their ancestors endeavors.

they believe in the founding principles and preserving it is paramount, i'm sure i don't have to enlighten you on these principles.

when obama won the election it shattered the all exclusive good ole boys club status quo, and a so called betrayal blow was dealt to the traditionalist massive, take ah look @ the red states and you'll see how the heartland and the bible belt with the exclusion of NC voted to preseve founding principles even though it may not have been in their best interest.

what you're seeing now is quite normal, it been happening every day in this country for generations, only because we have ah black pres it's been intensified in the eyes of the media,but that's been the norm from the inception, after all it's the the true blue american way.

PS: the confederate flag could've easily been the flag of the USA if the south triumphed in the civil war, it's just ah relic that proclaims the old southern and heartland principles & values, it's no big deal, in other words it's redneck memorabilia IMO.            positive.

But what is southern value/s would you say?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 07:42:58 PM »
 One could imagine the sentiments from some after Mandela was elected and apartheid came to an end in South Africa.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »
Obama Baby !!!!!!!!!!!! This man will change America and will change how dem ediat fackerz see not only ppl of African decent but People from all around the world..
God Bless Obama ..
I had My locker at worked Pissed In
I had The wurds N***er  written on my locker at work
I was called Sand N**ger by my own facking Inlaws
Just for this day..
Big up Obama !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dem ediat cya get yu out,  you to good !!!!!!!!!!!!
War
Black Lives Matter..

1]; } ?>