April 28, 2024, 08:59:26 AM

Author Topic: Are we in T&T taking the global economic crisis seriously??  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Are we in T&T taking the global economic crisis seriously??
« on: November 18, 2008, 06:25:33 AM »
Forumites,
This question was asked on I95.5fm this morning and I thought I'd throw it out to you.
Me personally, I am taking careful note of every convulsion that happens around the world.  Also for starters I have no extravagant plans for the christmas season (I haven't in a few years) so I wont be going crazy buying all kinda unecessary stuff.

But overall I don't think collectively as a people we are taking this seriously....
Foreign based feel free to join in and perhaps say how its affecting you.
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Are we in T&T taking the global economic crisis seriously??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:24:09 AM »
Forumites,
This question was asked on I95.5fm this morning and I thought I'd throw it out to you.
Me personally, I am taking careful note of every convulsion that happens around the world.  Also for starters I have no extravagant plans for the christmas season (I haven't in a few years) so I wont be going crazy buying all kinda unecessary stuff.

But overall I don't think collectively as a people we are taking this seriously....
Foreign based feel free to join in and perhaps say how its affecting you.

I remember on the weekend review which we receive here in NY the central bank governor warning Manning et al to curb spending (a few weeks ago) and the latter's response was "full speed ahead"

On this latest report on the Express they are quoting food inflation at 35% and a core value of 14.8%, within the report it also suggests that gov't will finally take heed, others who know more can comment to a more significant extent....

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161402514
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:13:34 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO of course not we not livin on planet earth but on a parrel planet dat make we immune.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:37:19 AM »
let's approach this another way.
List the things T&T, in its majority, takes seriously..

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
CARNIVAL
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:44:25 AM »
Well, Gov't doesn't seem to be taking it seriously ... perhaps as such, hardly a surprise that on the microeconomic level some consumers may seem to have a cavalier response. Seem. IMV, ppl are going to be "fatalistic" about it because this is part of a continuum for local consumers, rather than an abrupt change of course as may be the case for consumers in the North (to use the language of a bygone era) ... The other factor is interpretation ... how does the average consumer interpret what he or she is viewing relevant to his or her specific situation ... (in other words, I eh too quick to malign Trinis here to say that we're being irrational actors b/c we appear to be ploughing forward like there is no tomorrow) ... I think, like the individuals I saw on Cnews last night, that consumers have been 'banning' dey belly fuh a while so this is viewed as same ingredients, different recipe  ... and as I'll suggest in a minute ... how elastic is "food" anyway?

Outside T&T: Fully in agreement with Barney Frank with respect to the need to bolster public confidence. Paulson has done himself few favours with respect to harnessing that in recent weeks. Investor confidence is equipped to be 'different" from public confidence ... but I think this may be a key in relation to the local economy ... maybe ultimately the external media sources will message better than the local ...

Anyhow, leads to a question raised here a long time ago ... re: relationship of the Central Bank and the Gov't ... I listened to Ewart Brown and I had a sense there was a message in it for the political decision-makers and a message for the public ... only thing with this latter group is ... the message needs to be clearer (Is it the function of the Central Bank to message consumers?)

On the local front, the key paragraphs for me from the linked article are:

He said the main drivers of inflation were the "mind-boggling" record rise in food prices, insufficient agricultural production, Government's rapid development and spending on projects and rapid bank credit expansion.  (in sharp contrast to what's happening elsewhere)

Even as food prices have hurtled upward, Trinidadians have continued to spend.

Williams maintained that the country was not in recession as economic growth would continue, albeit at a slower pace and did not contract negatively over the past two financial quarters.

The Central Bank said the worst-case scenario was if oil prices fell below US$40 with a corresponding fall in gas prices.

Williams said: "Obviously addressing such a worst-case scenario would call for a major adjustment in both the public and private sectors. The situation could be significantly more complicated, since adjustment may need to reach to non-discretionary expenditure. If we don't get our act together, we could find ourselves in a much worse scenario."

The one thing I'd say about the article is that it glosses over price elasticity of demand ... the journalist doesn't use this term but dahis what he's discussing in the cereal/veggie/fruits section ... it's somewhat too simple to say that consumers are still spending on these items, without fleshing out the fuller picture.

And well, given the nature of this forum ... how does $500  covered stands/$200 uncovered factor into the mix ... watchnah ... cyah see that atall ... powers that be real challenging discretionary spending
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:48:09 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »
Xmas and carnival all peeps studyin at d moment. I know dey done strt 2 cut jobs as dem yutes who was on short countract in dem Ministries contract not being renewed

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 12:11:18 PM »
pardon me eh people, I'm in the middle of de people work but wanted to continue dis talk even if it's in a half arsed manner...

so we studying Carnival...aight
even in the midst of a global crisis we still have a viable, staggeringly creativity, potential billion-dollar tool that we own (we still de bes right?). I know we get boof and self boof for the carnival mentality but is it all bad?

Global crisis, vital importance..no question...but what do the little guys on the world stage really do to prepare? Avoid? Dodge?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:43:20 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:27:52 PM »
If alyuh feel trini worryin bout that alyuh lie , the poor ones which iz the majority would say as far as they know they was always in recession and lookin foward to the nex holiday .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 06:32:26 PM »
Creativity is bikini and beads cyah c it. Even it is it make so sense 2 take a loan 4 d bikini and beads when u eh sure bout d economy rite after yuh jump and wave

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 07:44:56 PM »
Creativity is bikini and beads cyah c it. Even it is it make so sense 2 take a loan 4 d bikini and beads when u eh sure bout d economy rite after yuh jump and wave

no but I see more than just the beads and bikini though...despite the wave after wave of it on Carnival day..
or is that all some of us see down there?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 07:48:38 PM »
I agree Queen carnival have nuff creativity just d idea behind d bikini and beads show creativity. But in d scheme of tings economic crisis dem loan 4 beads eh makin no cents

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 07:53:19 PM »
Christmas, New Year feting straight into Carnival, I doubt anyone would care much about what's happening with the world ecomony. Come Ash Wednesday that is when people start to bite dey nail and wonder if they have enough money for bread. Worst yet Trinidad and Tobago citizens have not yet experience massive layoffs like the automoblie industries in North America. (count allyuh blessings). At least in Canada there is Unemployment Insurance that could make you feel comfortable for an average of 4 months.  

I ain't go lie, but Trinidadians happy. If you are unemployed you can always use ya P car and run taxis - NOT in Canada ahtall. Or open up ah little parlour in front ya house...or something creative to make ends meet. People over here ain't have or won't be dead thinking of such things. They dependent on government assistance.

Me on the other hand had serious plans for the latter of this year and/or early next year - it included some bricks. At this present moment, i'm just sitting back and watching what's going on and saving the extra chocolate and corn curls money. Everybody back home done know no gifts from overseas this year - dey getting ah touch of my creativity instead. But it's not affecting me that i'll reach the stage of misery.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »
Patrick has been in the political business far to long to know the situation has been going " south". To say that the gov't seem unaware of the global crisis affecting TT is somewhat amusing. They have to know they will have to cut spending. Patrick know that. But he don't want to tell people that there will be belt tightening sooner or later. He pulling a Bush moment "... the economy fundamentally sound ...."

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 08:00:27 PM »
The Guardian & Express Business Magazines didn't have articles last week about how low the savings rate is in Trinidad? They said that Trinis are top class consumers and spenders but poor savers. Take that for what it's worth. Carnival round de corner.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2008, 08:11:13 PM »
The reason why Trini are spenders is because the majority do not make enough money. The majority spend their money on food and necessities. Those who have discretionary income will spend some of it on the carnival costume. Why all yuh knocking Carnival. It is a legitimate industry. All you  just need to be on the recieving end(making money) of the industry. look at India, for years poor people will spend money to go to movies to see them multi millionaire stars. Are they stupid. Arent Indians proud of their Bollywood.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2008, 09:03:05 PM »
Deeks u very wrong banks waiving d loan payment xmas 2 carnival not 2 mention d amt of loans dey offer. Bollywood and carnival cannot b compared 1 is a permanent industry while d other mainly seasonal. It just makes no sense 2 fete till u drop and then ash wed wonder if u have a wuk. D same go 4 a xmas loan 2 refurnish d house when u may loose d house

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2008, 11:54:25 PM »
Weary,
I ain't go argue with you. I too sleepy. But, anyway, the IMF recommend that the govt scale back on the financial center, taking int consideration the global financial crisis . But Nunez-Tesheira say they can still go forward.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/business2.html

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 01:44:30 AM »
CARNIVAL
and more carnival.

and Licence Fete!!

I was thinking about this today.  With already with the 1800's draining systems and sewers, new & populated buildings in downtown, receding shorelines in south-east coast, and the melting ice caps in the north and south pole.  Flooding will be a regular thing in POS.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 07:05:11 AM »
D IMF who is dem Tesharia bright like a 1000 watt bulb

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 08:49:28 AM »
The reason why Trini are spenders is because the majority do not make enough money. The majority spend their money on food and necessities. Those who have discretionary income will spend some of it on the carnival costume. Why all yuh knocking Carnival. It is a legitimate industry. All you  just need to be on the recieving end(making money) of the industry. look at India, for years poor people will spend money to go to movies to see them multi millionaire stars. Are they stupid. Arent Indians proud of their Bollywood.

Seems counterintuitive, right? Buh dahis basically where things are.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2008, 04:32:00 AM »
Anyone listened to Manning's speech last night? I thought it was really vague, then ended with "Next week I'll address you again about the adjustments to the budget" which I thought was the point of the speech... :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2008, 05:16:24 AM »
Still wukin on d adjustments d fact dat  hesay hard times comin was a major statement I realize I live on planet earth. For a while there I was not sure

1]; } ?>