April 29, 2024, 12:20:04 AM

Author Topic: November 19th 1989.  (Read 15762 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: November 19th 1989.
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 07:24:33 PM »
SELL OUT.usa had to win to host.plain and simple.ah man post latas and yorke cry too much to b ah sellout.at that time they could not have had an impact on de game.clayton morris was de puppet.

USA won the right to host the World Cup in July 1988. They really did not have to win to host. It does not work that way. The WC host is known well before qualifying for the prior tournament is finished. And it's not something that FIFA started doing after the US hosted. Italy was announced 1990 WC hosts in May of 1984...more than 2 years before the 1986 World Cup. We already know Brazil is hosting WC 2014 and so it goes.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »
SELL OUT.usa had to win to host.plain and simple.ah man post latas and yorke cry too much to b ah sellout.at that time they could not have had an impact on de game.clayton morris was de puppet.

USA won the right to host the World Cup in July 1988. They really did not have to win to host. It does not work that way. The WC host is known well before qualifying for the prior tournament is finished. And it's not something that FIFA started doing after the US hosted. Italy was announced 1990 WC hosts in May of 1984...more than 2 years before the 1986 World Cup. We already know Brazil is hosting WC 2014 and so it goes.
de first time usa took part in a WC was by invitation,had they qualified prior to 1990.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 07:46:14 PM »
Jack over sell out thee Stadium not de game, look at this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CndeofqbjZ0&feature=related

We realle party then we realle bawl.  :'(

Oh gosh !!!!

Ah think ah see myself !!!!!
Ah was up under the clock. Talk bout pressure that day. Never see so much people faint way in my life. Firemen was only making trips with people on their shoulders.

Uncle Victor Jovica was there in he purple spandex shorts!!!! Allyuh remember him ??

Remember the sadness after the game big man crying like babies, and then to make it worse the fella who get run over by the music truck in the melee back to POS.

Memories I will take to the grave.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 07:51:05 PM »
i personally feel it was not a sellout.
We just played flat, conceeded a soft, crappy goal, and the afternoon turned into one of those days when nothing goes right. Thats football.
We also committed the cardinal sin of underestimating the USA...We really got carried away into believing that we were a class better than them, when history shows that they still were better than us up to that point...when we got the 88min equaliser in LA in the first game, rememebr how people celebrate like we already reach the WC..It was a big result. We should never have underestimated the US as much as we did for the return leg.

The more interesting question for me is how come, 19 years later, the phrase "Nov 19th" still gets more reaction and stirs more feelings in Trinis than the day we beat Bahrain to qualify for the WC. I had to think twice to make sure it was Nov 16th.
I actually feel by us losing on that day, yes we did not get to go to Italia 90, but in the biger jist of things, it worked out being more of an impact event that we lost...Almost like a movie where an underdog rises up to almost the top of the world and stumbles at the final hurdle just when he has shed the underdog status...Because it was so painful, that date and everything it symbolises will never be forgotton. We have now qualified for a WC, so the ghost no longer haunts us as it did before 2005...but in defeat, the strike squad has been immortalised perhaps more than if they had gone on to Italy - at least in the trini public's eye...

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 08:30:23 PM »
i personally feel it was not a sellout.
We just played flat, conceeded a soft, crappy goal, and the afternoon turned into one of those days when nothing goes right. Thats football.
We also committed the cardinal sin of underestimating the USA...We really got carried away into believing that we were a class better than them, when history shows that they still were better than us up to that point...when we got the 88min equaliser in LA in the first game, rememebr how people celebrate like we already reach the WC..It was a big result. We should never have underestimated the US as much as we did for the return leg.

The more interesting question for me is how come, 19 years later, the phrase "Nov 19th" still gets more reaction and stirs more feelings in Trinis than the day we beat Bahrain to qualify for the WC. I had to think twice to make sure it was Nov 16th.
I actually feel by us losing on that day, yes we did not get to go to Italia 90, but in the biger jist of things, it worked out being more of an impact event that we lost...Almost like a movie where an underdog rises up to almost the top of the world and stumbles at the final hurdle just when he has shed the underdog status...Because it was so painful, that date and everything it symbolises will never be forgotton. We have now qualified for a WC, so the ghost no longer haunts us as it did before 2005...but in defeat, the strike squad has been immortalised perhaps more than if they had gone on to Italy - at least in the trini public's eye...

interesting read!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 08:53:46 PM »
Victor Jovica and all lawd. Thank God 4 nov 16th because nov 19th real painful
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 08:57:56 PM »
Trini,
           We lost the game frankoment. No sellout. We were not prepare emotionally. Like you said we were flat.

As to the "Nov 19th" being a permanet part of TT psychie. I kinda a glad we remember it all the time. It is simple. Be prepared all the time. Never underestimate your oponents.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 09:09:51 PM »

de first time usa took part in a WC was by invitation,had they qualified prior to 1990.

??? eh ok pardnah. what does that have to do with anything i wrote? The US always goes on about their famous victory over England in WC 1950. Everything I said in my post is still true. And does not change the simple fact that the US did not have to qualify for WC 1990 to host WC 1994. That's all I'm responding to, which is why I put it in bold in your post. No comment on the rest of your post

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 09:13:45 PM »

??? eh ok pardnah. what does that have to do with anything i wrote? The US always goes on about their famous victory over England in WC 1950. Everything I said in my post is still true. And does not change the simple fact that the US did not have to qualify for WC 1990 to host WC 1994. That's all I'm responding to, which is why I put it in bold in your post. No comment on the rest of your post
from what i know to host a WC,the country that is hosting has to qualify for a WC.lets say trini want to host ah WC(if that was possible) we could because we qualified for one already.is not so.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
The real question is why do some feel that we were incapable of losing that game without something shady behind the scenes? Were we that good?

From my memory the group was very very close...no team was recording huge victories. We pipped Guat at home with a last minute goal, we edged Guat on the road (prob our best result of the campaign), we lost & tied to CR, we snatched a draw from the U.S. on the road, beat ES at home, but were held scoreless on the road....Going into the last game against the U.S. I remember us having a better run of form than the States, as the U.S. were held scoreless in its last two games (Guat & ES), but there was nothing to suggest that we were in such a different class to them that it would take shennanigans off the field for us to lose that game...That game was anyone's to win..and everything was up for grabs.

I think in the midst of all the hype, as fans we overestimated how good we really were, and took it forgranted that on the other side of the half line were 11 fellas ready to go down fighting for dream as well.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 11:41:21 PM »

from what i know to host a WC,the country that is hosting has to qualify for a WC.lets say trini want to host ah WC(if that was possible) we could because we qualified for one already.is not so.

the US had qualified for previous world cups.  qualification (as opposed to invitation) started for the 1934 Cup so they qualified for a world cup as far as 1934.

in any case, there isn't any such requirement, but I'm sure a country's footballing history does come into play in the decision-making process.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 03:28:34 AM »
Japan co-hosted the 2002 World Cup and qualified for the World Cup for the first time in 1998. I'm not positive, but I'm fairly confident that they were awarded the 2002 World Cup prior to qualifying for 1998. But as Daryn said:

n any case, there isn't any such requirement, but I'm sure a country's footballing history does come into play in the decision-making process.

As to why Nov 19th stands out more than Nov 16th? The hype leading up to the match was bigger in 1989. The match was on home soil. Maybe we related with the players more as most (if not all?) were based at home. Just some suggestions...

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2008, 03:47:57 AM »

South Africa failed to qualify for the last World Cup, yet they are hosting the next one. True?

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 03:56:28 AM by Zeppo »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2008, 05:05:19 AM »

South Africa failed to qualify for the last World Cup, yet they are hosting the next one. True?

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

aaaahhhhh Zeppo.....at last we on de same page... :beermug: ;D I now coming to post that Japan almost became the only country to host a WC in 2002 but never played IF, they had not qualified for WC 1998....but you come even better with this example of South Africa....

Capodetutticapi how long yuh on dis site??.....yuh eh learn by now yuh have to check yuh facts first before yuh post...ah feel yuh getting de Davy Jenny award this year..... :devil: ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2008, 05:22:41 AM »

capo. i don't think that is the case. but the simple truth is the US was awarded the WC 6 years before hosting it. it takes a very long time to prepare for a World Cup..FIFA cannot afford to wait and see who qualifies and then take bids. there are many sources you can check to see that the USA was awarded the WC in 1988. You can also check that every host before that, and some prior get hosting rights 6 years prior to the WC. The Japan example given by boss is a perfect example of never having qualified yet getting the right to host prior to qualification

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »
We just... conceeded a soft, crappy goal, and the afternoon turned into one of those days when nothing goes right. Thats football.

Well that's that. 

Anything else on the agenda?

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »
Di More I read this thread I feal di Moderators dem should pull this thread . I think it is a disrespect to The strike squad to even think they sold there country out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
War
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 07:48:26 AM »
Mr warmonga.... boss, put some nice woman and take of that picture with them ugle f00cking man yuh have they nah... I cah focus...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 07:52:14 AM »
Mr warmonga.... boss, put some nice woman and take of that picture with them ugle f00cking man yuh have they nah... I cah focus...
sam yuh nuh easy bredda...   doh worry,  I go put a little thing soon up for yu.  :beermug:

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 08:13:35 AM »

capo. i don't think that is the case. but the simple truth is the US was awarded the WC 6 years before hosting it. it takes a very long time to prepare for a World Cup..FIFA cannot afford to wait and see who qualifies and then take bids. there are many sources you can check to see that the USA was awarded the WC in 1988. You can also check that every host before that, and some prior get hosting rights 6 years prior to the WC. The Japan example given by boss is a perfect example of never having qualified yet getting the right to host prior to qualification
when i speak of qualification it does not neccesarily mean a country made it to this one and they could host de followin,just qualify in general,whether was de previous one or one 25 years ago.anyway i probably was misguided along the way.it still eh change my perspective,IT WAS AH SELLOUT.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2008, 08:35:26 AM »
...it still eh change my perspective,IT WAS AH SELLOUT.

I wasn't there, but so I hear too... man was hanging off fence all kinda thing, fuss stadium was ram.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2008, 08:48:21 AM »
I think we were the better team in 1989, but again a "minor mistake" was made and it killed our hopes.  We have a habit of always allowing other teams to slip back in, even when we’re leading. Last minute fouls in the penalty area, Kelvin Jack almost giving away the game vs Bahrain, Man heading ball in to he own net.

Ah Mental focus is needed, where our players don’t get all carried away of what’s going on around you. They need to just focus on the job on the pitch.  All de bacchanal could have wait until after we win. It was carnival Tuesday before tha game in 1989 yuh know, how them players could have top off that?  

Today’s game will say ah whole lot of who we are and if we’re ready to go all the way to the TOP!  :)

« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:49:53 AM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2008, 08:54:39 AM »

I wasn't there, but so I hear too... man was hanging off fence all kinda thing, fuss stadium was ram.

ah think he meant sellout de match to USA ;D

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2008, 09:05:15 AM »

ah think he meant sellout de match to USA ;D

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: I love this board...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2008, 12:36:59 PM »
Some ah allyuh men super slow on de uptake boy...

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2008, 12:45:43 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2008, 01:11:46 PM »

and the picture big and f**king obzokee too eh

they doh have a size limit on pics in sigs, oh Jesus Christ man

Més que un club.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »
yeah War,
if ya want to resize in ya signature
{img height=200 width=200}url of picture{/img}
or adjust accordingly
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:25:44 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2008, 01:30:13 PM »
If yuh watch de joker face good yuh go see he blinking/wincing before batman hit him.  Dat is terrible acting and people was saying he shoulda get oscar fuh dat movie.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:31:47 PM by NUFF »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »

when i speak of qualification it does not neccesarily mean a country made it to this one and they could host de followin,just qualify in general,whether was de previous one or one 25 years ago.anyway i probably was misguided along the way.it still eh change my perspective,IT WAS AH SELLOUT.

haha. capo..i scratching meh head. in any case, all I was responding to was your statement that the US had to qualify for 1990 to host 1994...which I hope we can all agree on..was simply not the case. as for whether yuh think it was a sellout or not..go strong. I eh touching dat. I eh touching noone opinion on de matter for dat case. Just clarifying de one part in your initial post that was factually incorrect.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:45:38 PM by Filho »

1]; } ?>