April 28, 2024, 12:17:49 AM

Author Topic: The Obama Administration  (Read 15782 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Obama Administration
« on: November 18, 2008, 08:09:41 PM »
Picking up on E-man's suggestion... I figure we'll  move the post-Election discussions here.

We all know that Hillary is in the running for Secretary of State... pending a vetting of Bill's current business dealings.

Now word is out that Eric Holder is the leading candidate to be the next Attorney General... he'd be the first black man to hold that office, particularly nice since his folks are bajan.

I predict that the Senate confirmation will go smoothly, but there has been talk of some potential Republican opposition.  He failed to block Clinton's pardon of Mark Rich... which he couldn't have really blocked even if he tried.  The knock on him was that he didn't bring certain issues about Rich's past to Clinton's attention.

Other than that Holder is squeaky clean... former Justice Dep't prosecutor, Assoc. Judge for DC under Reagan, U.S. Attorney for DC under Clinton, Deputy AG, then Acting AG under Bush, Jr. (until Ashcroft's confirmation).  Since then he's been in private practice.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: The Obama Administration
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:31:05 PM »
what I would like to see is the War Crimes act investigated to figure out if any of the past administration could be charged under it.

maybe they should look to Denise Rich for that answer BnS. ;D
what....she gave over $1,000,000 to the Clintons and/or Democrats...not so
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:33:36 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 08:56:59 AM »
Hillary dahlin ... decisions, decisions, decisions ... yuh still hadda play chess even post-election. Iz now yuh could dodge bullets fuh real :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 10:15:19 AM »
Hillary dahlin ... decisions, decisions, decisions ... yuh still hadda play chess even post-election. Iz now yuh could dodge bullets fuh real :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ent! Making style as usual. Lipstick on a pig...
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
So Daschle is rumored to be the top choice for Health and Human Services

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/20/us/politics/20transition.html?_r=1&hp

Talks have progressed with Bill making certain concessions, ceding control of his foundation and alerting the State Department to his foreign travel and business relations... with an eye towards easing Hillary's ascension to Secretary of State.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:47:35 PM »
The American people want.......

Billary!!!
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »
barrack seem to be puttin in place ah high calibre staff.this could get him an additional 4 years.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 06:22:02 PM »
barrack seem to be puttin in place ah high calibre staff.this could get him an additional 4 years.

Only real knock it that many of them are Democratic retreads... but that's how it goes, unless he want tuh get real 'Mavericky', and recruit outside de political box, lol.

----------------

Just heard tonight on CNN that he's considering Janet Napolitano to be his head of Homeland Security.  Not as glamorous a position as Attorney General, considering that she was the rumored front-runner at first... but not a bad fall-back gig.

Supposedly Penny Pritzker, a multi-million Chicago businesswoman is said to be in the lead for Commerce Secretary.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 10:18:33 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 12:32:37 PM »
Couldn't see Napolitano ahead of Eric Holder in the pecking order. Just couldn't.

Now, a governor coming into Homeland Security? We've been there before. :)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »
Couldn't see Napolitano ahead of Eric Holder in the pecking order. Just couldn't.

Indeed on both points.

Ridge was it who initiated the position as Dep't head?

As for Napolitano, I was actually unaware of her law enforcement career prior to her political rise, so in retrospect I think she would have been a good fit.  Holder however has much more experience in national office, and even his non 'national' posts have been pretty influential positions... he's definitely a much better choice.

I still like keeping Napolitano within the team though, I think she'll be a fine asset... even if the Mexicans may not be too enamored of her.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 05:18:27 PM »

Indeed on both points.

Ridge was it who initiated the position as Dep't head?

As for Napolitano, I was actually unaware of her law enforcement career prior to her political rise, so in retrospect I think she would have been a good fit.  Holder however has much more experience in national office, and even his non 'national' posts have been pretty influential positions... he's definitely a much better choice.

I still like keeping Napolitano within the team though, I think she'll be a fine asset... even if the Mexicans may not be too enamored of her.

Plus, it gives Bajans something to write about ... aside from Trinis taking over dey island.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 05:47:31 PM »
Obama Administration by word but Clinton Administration by action.

wasn't his slogon during the campaign 'time for change?'
my question is and i'm putting aside experience, why go backwards ???

he clearly is an inexperience fellow in government, why not give other inexperience people a chance to prove themselves too ?

these people are the ones that would be advising him on how to run the country. you think they have new ideas or the same ideas used during the clinton presidency days?

for some strange reason, i'm seeing bill clinton all over this damn thing.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »

he clearly is an inexperience fellow in government, why not give other inexperience people a chance to prove themselves too ?

these people are the ones that would be advising him on how to run the country. you think they have new ideas or the same ideas used during the clinton presidency days?

Not commenting on whether incorporating the Ciintons will be good or bad in the long run but...

The Clinton administration is generally accepted as being a successful one. Definitely better than the Bushes before and after it. Their ideas, for the most part, worked.

The problems with them have less to do with how Bill Clinton performed than the baggage that he brings and whether Obama thinks he can manage it. Obama seems confident that he can.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 10:44:45 PM »

Cana luv... with all due respect this makes no sense.  If you don't know how to run a corporation (and are put in charge) you don't gamble by hire other people who aren't proven at running a corporation, in fact it would border on abdication of duty to be so reckless with running the entity... in this case an entire country.  You need people with Washington experience to help you navigate the particular quagmire that is Captiol Hill and its bureaucracy.

None of the major players thus far named are reprising any role that they played under the Clinton administration...Holder comes closest.  The bodies and resumes may be recycled but the ideas are still Obamas... in the final analysis does it really matter who's implementing the ideas... it's the ideas themselves that matter.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 05:44:39 AM »
Morning allyuh

Bakes and JDB don't get me wrong eh. I have no problems with experience, in fact i gladly accept it. But come on, Obama's 'time for change', which I assumed was NEW things to come. New faces, new ideas on the table.

Thats basically what I was thinking during his campaign.

Oh and Bakes tanks for respecting meh thoughts even though it didn't make sense to ya....

lemme go to wuk 

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Obama's Use of Complete Sentences Stirs Controversy
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 12:26:14 PM »
Morning allyuh

Bakes and JDB don't get me wrong eh. I have no problems with experience, in fact i gladly accept it. But come on, Obama's 'time for change', which I assumed was NEW things to come. New faces, new ideas on the table.

Thats basically what I was thinking during his campaign.

Oh and Bakes tanks for respecting meh thoughts even though it didn't make sense to ya....

lemme go to wuk 

Yuh done know you's mih choonkoolunks from long time...lol

Nah, but you're not the only one with that criticism... it is fast becoming a Republican mantra, particularly seeing how splendid dem and the Clintonites got along during the first go-around.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2008, 07:09:01 PM »
So Pritzker fire de Commerce wuk even before she get it...

"Speculation has grown that I am a candidate for Secretary of Commerce. I am not. I think I can best serve our nation in my current capacity: building businesses, creating jobs and working to strengthen our economy. It has been my great privilege to serve in the Obama campaign. I look forward to helping our new President in every way possible and am excited about the future under his leadership." Penny Pritzker, Chair, TransUnion"

Bill Richardson is rumored to be the leading candidate for that post.  The roster so far is:

Chief of Staff- Rahm Emmanuel
Secretary of State- Hillary Clinton
Attorney General- Eric Holder
Secretary of Homeland Security- Janet Napolitano
Secretary of Health- Tom Daschle
Secretary of Defense- Robert Gates (Bush holdover)
National Security Advisor- Gen. James L. Jones
Secretary of Treasury- Timothy Geithner
Chairman of the Federal Reserve- Lawrence Summers
White House Counsel- Greg Craig

... all of these rumored of course.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 08:30:11 PM »
So ... ah ... there's a crucial constituency that not listed among the rumoured ... ah doh care how much Bill Richardson name geh call ... his name is still 'Bill Richardson' .. comprendes?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
So ... ah ... there's a crucial constituency that not listed among the rumoured ... ah doh care how much Bill Richardson name geh call ... his name is still 'Bill Richardson' .. comprendes?

De man father Nicaraguan and mother Spanish... I'm sure the anglicized name aside his ethnicity isn't lost on that 'constituency'.  Same way Obama's 'exotic' muslim name didn't detract from the fact that he was a black man.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 01:50:14 PM »
The Cabinet So Far

Encouraging signs, with education reform still in the balance

Saturday, November 22, 2008; A14

ASSESSING THE emerging Obama administration is a bit like judging the design of the elephant without the trunk or tail. The president-elect's choices for some key posts, notably at the Defense Department, have yet to be leaked; few of the others have been formally announced. Nonetheless, an outline is taking shape, and it is encouraging in a number of ways.

President-elect Barack Obama's picks thus far are experienced, capable, smart and pragmatic. Those adjectives apply to New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (State Department), Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano (Homeland Security), former deputy attorney general Eric Holder (Justice), former Senate majority leader Tom Daschle (Health and Human Services) and -- the most recent leakees -- Timothy F. Geithner, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York (Treasury), and retired Marine Gen. James L. Jones (national security adviser).

The assemblage so far also is diverse, and in the most gratifying way, which is to say, in a way that seems naturally occurring: No one can look at any of these selections and think that gender or race was the driving factor in the selection. The reported selection of Congressional Budget Office Director Peter R. Orszag to what could be Washington's most thankless task, heading the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) in an era of soaring deficits, is a good sign, as is the reappearance of Jacob Lew, OMB director in the Clinton administration, at the National Economic Council. A common thread among most of these selections is a deep understanding of the legislative process and congressional players.

A striking, and somewhat unexpected, element of Mr. Obama's choices is a degree of risk-taking and boldness. Rahm Emanuel as chief of staff is a smart but edgy pick. The will-she-won't-she Clinton soap opera suggests a tolerance for drama in the service of an all-star Cabinet. Likewise, the selection of Mr. Holder was bound to dredge up some unpleasant memories of the sordid flurry of pardons at the end of the Clinton administration; Mr. Obama's calculation that Mr. Holder's presence at Justice was worth the price of revisiting that scandal reflects a willingness to take some flak for the nominee he wants.

Some critics are unhappy about the number of Clinton administration veterans -- the derogatory word is retreads -- in the new administration. As we've said before, we have no sympathy for this complaint. The best thing the new administration has going for it in comparison to the last Democratic president is the amount of executive branch experience it has to call on. Mr. Obama's willingness to do that and to bring on board those who supported his chief rival -- indeed, to enlist his chief rival herself -- underscores his own confidence.

One missing piece is the promised bipartisanship, although retaining Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates would address that concern. Another selection that will merit scrutiny is Mr. Obama's education secretary: Will the choice reflect his stated commitment to reform? Will it be someone with hands-on experience in education and a proven willingness to experiment? While the new president's attention is understandably focused on the economy, not to mention the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, it's critical to have someone who comes to the education post with those credentials.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/21/AR2008112103127.html?nav=hcmodule

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2008, 10:17:16 AM »

Adolfo Carrion's bio might be of interest at this point.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2008, 04:32:04 PM »

Adolfo Carrion's bio might be of interest at this point.

Good shot!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »

De man father Nicaraguan and mother Spanish... I'm sure the anglicized name aside his ethnicity isn't lost on that 'constituency'.  Same way Obama's 'exotic' muslim name didn't detract from the fact that he was a black man.

Errr, well ... ah eh too sure how dat will sell on E. 116th between Third and Lexington. Also, not too sure how it will sell in Osceola County, FL or Orange County, FL ... well, yuh geh de point ... and dahis just me zeroing in on 'sub-constituents' ... there is a reason why his candidacy has had its limitations.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 05:12:42 PM »
Errr, well ... ah eh too sure how dat will sell on E. 116th between Third and Lexington. Also, not too sure how it will sell in Osceola County, FL or Orange County, FL ... well, yuh geh de point ... and dahis just me zeroing in on 'sub-constituents' ... there is a reason why his candidacy has had its limitations.

Yeah... but there is also a reason why he garnered 67% of the Latino vote... and wasn't just Mexican-Americans voting for him neither ;)

daryn... can't say that I'm familiar with Carrion, I'm a significant number of years removed from the NY political scene, last I knew Ferrer was still Bronx BP, lol.  Having now had chance to look him up though, I think he'll make a great addition to the Obama cabinet, and like Andrew Cuomo, the national office affords him an opportunity to return to NY with a much higher profile once his executive service ends.  I particularly think he'll be a good fit for HUD as rumored.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 01:16:36 AM »
Of course, no doubt ... not incidentally, if one applies a politics of proportionality, the Latino vote supportive of Obama also underscores why Bill standing alone should not suffice ...

and from a pragmatic political viewpoint, one wants one's to capture that ...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »
Of course, no doubt ... not incidentally, if one applies a politics of proportionality, the Latino vote supportive of Obama also underscores why Bill standing alone should not suffice ...

and from a pragmatic political viewpoint, one wants one's to capture that ...

I fully agree... it's a step in the right direction, but shouldn't be where the effort stops, this much we can agree upon.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
Proud mum: He will be a great AG

The Nation (Barbados)
11/23/08

"VERY PROUD. As a mother you would know how proud I was."

Miriam Holder, a Bajan New Yorker in East Elmhurst, was reflecting in Queens on her feelings when she first received word her 57-year-old son Eric was poised to make history as the first black attorney-general of the United States."

"I am sure he is going to do a very good job, once he has been confirmed by the Senate," added the widow, whose Bajan husband Eric Holder Sr died almost a dozen years ago in New York but whose ashes were scattered in his birthplace just last year.

"Oh, his father, were he here would have been very proud of him," added the woman now in her 80s.

"His sons were the lights of his life. I am sure he would have been extremely happy to see him move into this position, knowing he would do a very good job at it. Our son Eric is a well grounded person, fair in all that he does, will sit and listen and he makes decisions based on fairness. He has always been a person mature beyond his years."

That's not simply the assessment of a proud mother. Such sentiments were echoed both by critics and supporters alike in the days immediately after it became known that President Elect Barack Obama intended to nominate the former Washington DC Superior Court judge; a man who was the top federal prosecutor in the nation's capital, who went to become the country's deputy attorney-general and acted for about two weeks in the top job at the turn of the 21st century.

For instance, the Washington Post, one of America's most influential papers, in an editorial painted a picture of him as one who would "bring years of experience and top-notch credentials" to the job.

"The predominant features of his record are independence, integrity and effectiveness."

His mother traces the origins of those characteristics to his upbringing, his life growing up in Queens.

"He grew up, I guess you could say, in a West Indian home, and education was quite important," she said. "They knew they had to perform the way we wanted them to. Perhaps, I was a bit harder than I should have been. Education is always important.

"As Barbadians, you know that education has always been at the top of the list of their priorities, and that was the same in our home."

Religion was another key factor in their sons' moulding, worshipping at the Episcopal Church, a few blocks from their home in Queens. The two sons served as acolytes, attended Sunday School and were active in the church's youth group.

"The church was always very important to us," Ms Holder recalled.

In the home, the emphasis too was on the family and when it came time to sit around the table for a meal, typical West Indian dishes were on the menu.

"I did peas and rice, the typical West Indian dishes," she recalled. "I didn't do too well with cou-cou. I like it very much and my mother used to make it on Fridays and my sister and I weren't too happy with it.

"But on my first trip to Barbados, I had cou-cou and I wrote to mother and said, 'Guess what I am having and enjoying it'? An aunt on one of her trips to Barbados brought back a cou-cou stick for me but somehow or the other I just couldn't get it together." Did she follow the Bajan tradition of yesteryear of using the cou-cou stick on children's rear-ends to discipline Eric or his brother, William?

"Oh, no I didn't," she said with a hearty laugh.

As for Eric's sibling, he is a retired New York Port Authority police lieutenant who is now a successful businessman operating six McDonald's restaurant franchises.

"He is very enterprising; plays a lot of golf," she explained. "He lives not far away from where I live and I often spend Fridays at his home."

Ms Holder, who with her husband once owned a condominium in St Michael, which they sold two years ago, speaks fondly about Barbados, much like her son, "who is proud of his Barbadian heritage", said his mother.

"He really enjoyed the island, especially the Hilton Hotel, whenever he visited the island" in recent years, she said. "In some of his speeches, whenever he talks about the island, he says 'the jewel of the Caribbean' Barbados."

As she looks forward to the day when her son is sworn in as the attorney-general, she is confident about two things.

"The first is that he will be confirmed" by the Senate and secondly, "he will do an outstanding job as the first black attorney-general."

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2008, 12:53:41 PM »
As the heading states ............. the Obama Administration.

The two key financial folks have been named, Geithner and
Summers.

Where is the change Obama was promising? Why was Geithner
selected when he has worked very closely with Bush and Paulson
over the last 2-3 months?
Where is the change?

In another thread, the following statement was made ....
'It is incredibly short-sighted of you if you can't see the
positives that could come from Obama's election as it
pertains to black people.'

How is he going to positively affect the black person
in Alabama if the same black person doesn't have a job,
and industries around him/her aren't hiring?

I have to ask myself this, how is Obama going to positively
affect my life?

He isn't.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2008, 01:29:22 PM »
Why was Geithner selected when he has worked very closely with Bush and Paulson
over the last 2-3 months?

2-3 months working with Bush and Paulson in the face of a crisis is grounds for rejection?  What about the fact that the work he did/does with them is largely to reverse a course that has been taken over the long-term?

Doing things differently and having aides with experience aren't mutually exclusive.

Glenn Greenwald Salon.com
Sunday Nov. 23, 2008 08:04 EST
Progressive complaints about Obama's appointments

I've been genuinely mystified by the disappointment and surprise being expressed by many liberals over the fact that Obama's most significant appointments thus far are composed of pure Beltway establishment figures drawn from the center-right of the Democratic Party and, probably once he names his Defense Secretary and CIA Director, even from the Bush administration -- but not from the Left.  In an email yesterday, Digby explained perfectly why this reaction is so mystifying (re-printed with her consent):

The villagers and the right made it very clear what they required of Obama --- bipartisanship, technocratic competence and center-right orthodoxy. Liberals took cultural signifiers as a sign of solidarity and didn't ask for anything. So, we have the great symbolic victory of the first black president (and that's not nothing, by the way) who is also a bipartisan, centrist technocrat. Surprise.

There are things to applaud about the cabinet picks -- Clinton is a global superstar who, along with Barack himself, signals to the world that the US is no longer being run by incompetent, extremist, political fringe dwellers. Holder seems to be genuinely against torture and hostile to the concept of the imperial presidency. Gaithner is a smart guy who has the trust of the Big Money Boyz, which may end up being useful considering the enormous and risky economic challenges ahead. Emmanuel is someone who is not afraid to wield a knife and if we're lucky he might just wield it from time to time against a Republican or a right wing Democrat. Napolitano seems to have a deft political touch with difficult issues like immigration which is going to be a battleground at DHS. And on and on.

None of them are liberals, but then Obama said repeatedly that he wasn't ideological, that he cared about "what works." I don't know why people didn't believe that.

entire article here
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 01:32:57 PM by daryn »

1]; } ?>