April 23, 2024, 10:42:53 AM

Author Topic: glory, glory ...  (Read 874 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
glory, glory ...
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:31:21 AM »
Premier League - Angry United fans report own club
Eurosport - Wed, 19 Nov 12:04:00 2008

Manchester United have been reported to the Office of Fair Trading by a group of their own fans.

The Manchester United Supporters Trust, the group formerly known as Shareholders United which vehemently opposed Malcolm Glazer's takeover of the club in 2005, has lodged official papers with the OFT claiming the Red Devils have 'breached its statutory and legal obligations to season ticket holders'.

MUST's argument centres on the hotly disputed compulsory cup scheme, which forces season ticket holders to agree in advance to buy tickets for cup games even though they do not know how many they will have to pay for and who the opposition will be.

At one point all season ticket holders had to pay for all cup matches but this has now been relaxed to exclude Carling Cup games.

However, MUST still claims United are acting unlawfully given what they view as a dominant position in the market and the fact that fans do not transfer their allegiance just because the club acts in a way they do not like.

Specifically, MUST's three complaints are:

- United's season ticket terms and conditions are in breach of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999.

- Their compulsory automatic cup ticket scheme is in breach of The Competition Act 1998, Part II, Section 18(2).

- Their pricing policy is in breach of The Competition Act 1998, Part II, Section 18(2)(a).

In addition, they argue that massive ticket price rises in recent years - highlighted by sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe - contravene a pledge given by Glazer in the build-up to his takeover attempt.

"Over recent years we have seen unfair terms and huge ticket price rises imposed on supporters by club owners taking advantage of their loyalty," said MUST chief executive Duncan Drasdo.

"MPs from all political parties have raised concerns and even the minister for sport felt it necessary to launch an outspoken attack on the huge price rises at Old Trafford in recent years.

"For a long time Manchester United was by no means the worst offender having previously had an admirable policy of keeping prices relatively low despite the success of the club. All that changed when the Glazers took over.

"However now, with the help of a team of eminent competition lawyers, economists and experts in sports law, we have been able to compile a comprehensive complaint based on Competition and Contract Law, which could have welcome consequences for supporters at clubs throughout the country."

While United are making no official comment, they are likely to mount a robust defence of their position.

In particular they are likely to point to the fact they have axed Carling Cup games from the automatic cup scheme and made Under-16 season tickets exempt from the scheme altogether.

In addition, senior citizens have been given permission to upgrade their tickets to adult prices for individual games to make them easier to sell through the official club website.

Even so, MUST believe they have a strong case, although the OFT may take some time to decide whether to take it, let alone hear it, which may take in excess of a year.

Sporting Life / Eurosport
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: glory, glory ...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 07:31:55 AM »
Pique - United Stars Are Fat
Wed 19 Nov, 01:09 PM

Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has claimed that Manchester United allow their players to eat what they want and that some players are overweight.

The defender joined United from Barcelona in 2004 but rejoined his former club last summer having failed to nail down a first team spot after four seasons with the Red Devils.

The 21-year-old was left speechless when he learnt of the diet at Old Trafford and even claims some of the players cannot understand Sir Alex Ferguson's Scottish accent.

He told Sport: "At United there were some incredible things happening. Everyone was allowed to eat what they wanted and one must remember that the English diet is just like people say.

"Every two weeks we had to be checked out on a machine that measured the amount of fat we had in our bodies.

"It would be a surprise that none of the players broke the machine because of the amount of hamburgers and beer they had.

"The gaffer, as Ferguson is known in Manchester, spoke in English with a Scottish accent but it sounded like Chinese to me.

"But I was not the worst and there are players still there who do not understand him yet."

Despite this, Pique went on to explain that the move to Manchester when he was just 17-years-old was good for his career.

He adds: "I had always lived with my parents in Barcelona. I had my friends from school and from Barca.

"I was from a generation of players that had won everything at youth level and the change was difficult. It was not bad though, because in Manchester I became a player."

Pique admits that despite leaving at a young age it was always a dream to play for the club he supported as a boy and he explains he is not the only one.

He added: "Playing here makes me proud. It is what I have always wanted. Few people are such big Barca fans as me and this is my childhood dream.

"But in this team there are many fans of the club, including Carles Puyol, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, Victor Valdes and Sergio Busquets."

Despite playing under the tutelage of Sir Alex Ferguson, Pique names current boss Pep Guardiola as the best manager he has worked under.

He said: "Guardiola is the most modern coach I have worked under. He is also the most precise and the most obsessed about the game. It is a pleasure to be in his squad.

"There are thousands of examples of why he is so good. The detail he puts into practice sessions, the information he has on the opposition, the constant motivation."

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 07:38:27 AM »
Fit of Pique
Wed Nov 19 08:55AM

There was mild surprise when Manchester United sold Gerard Pique back to his first club Barcelona in the summer.

Here was a young, strong and technically accomplished defender with the potential to develop into Rio Ferdinand's heir.

So why did United let him go? Because it turns out he spent most of his time at Old Trafford asking Sir Alex Ferguson for a number 35, egg fried rice and spring rolls.
And if Pique's view of China is anything like the Spanish basketball team's, a swift exit was assured.

"The gaffer, as Ferguson is known in Manchester, spoke in English with a Scottish accent and sounded Chinese to me," said Pique of his time at Old Trafford.

"But I was not the worst and there are players still there who do not understand him yet." Wayne Rooney, presumably.

It is not the first time Fergie's accent has cause problems. This summer, a Norwegian website thought he had said: "We're going to sign Dimitar Berbatov," when in fact he probably said: "Turn that f****** dictaphone off."
Pique continued: "I arrived without knowing any English, so the banter was lost on me."

Even Rio Ferdinand's Jeremy Beadle-esque 'merkings', despite the fact that, like Fawlty Towers or Mr Bean, they represent a pure form of comedy that breaks through linguistic and cultural barriers.

Pique was not finished mocking his former paymasters, and went on to explain exactly how Rooney maintains that enviable barrel-like physique.

"At United there were some incredible things happening. Everyone was allowed to eat what they wanted and one must remember that the English diet is just like people say," he said.

"Every two weeks we had to be checked out on a machine that measured the amount of fat we had in our bodies. It would be a surprise that none of the players broke the machine because of the amount of hamburgers and beer they had."

Ferdinand admitted that, after United's 2-1 defeat to Arsenal, he enjoyed Britain's favourite Saturday night meal - a skinful of lager and three packets of crisps.

Early Doors finds all this strangely reassuring. The stakes in football are higher than they have ever been, what with all the money and media attention, yet it remains the sport that science forgot.

Rugby players are put on special diets, trained to physical perfection and engineered to peak at the right time. It is the same with athletics, cycling, boxing - even Formula One drivers have had to cut out the cigarettes and playboy bunnies.

Somehow, football has dodged this obsession, and players are just as lazy, unfit and unprofessional as they have ever been.

When coaches try to make improvements, it invariably ends in disaster. Juande Ramos was horrified by the (mostly spherical) shape of Tottenham's players when he arrived, and promptly banned cakes and chips from the club canteen.

But Spurs were vastly better under Martin Jol when their diet consisted entirely of poisoned lasagne.

Conspiracy theorists have claimed there is far greater use of performance-enhancing drugs in football than we realise. But why bother shooting yourself full of EPO when a far easier way to enhance performance is to go for a week without KFC?

If Manchester United can win the Champions League with cholesterol clogging their arteries and booze impairing their judgement, then surely the modern obsession with nutrition is completely pointless.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »
u living in a corner house?
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>