March 29, 2024, 02:00:40 AM

Author Topic: Yohance Marshall Thread  (Read 14035 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yohance Marshall.
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2016, 09:58:31 PM »
Ah seeing Yohance Marshall happily engaged with training at his club with no apparent trace of injury (see the club's twitter feed).

Decision of non-inclusion v. Dom Republic and Martinique based on grounds other than injury? Yuh never know, that passport thief gets around. :devil:

Or maybe iz 'tief head'. :P

Makes no sense. He has been one of the best defenders in Ascenso MX. MLS has great marketing for sure because level wise is no better than Ascenso.

Well, on the positive side... He wasn't part of this outcome. But, also might have been better he stayed with his club. When was his last playing time with the NT (not merely being called up)?

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2016, 06:30:14 AM »
Nice video

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2016, 09:01:02 AM »
@Dutty Love: If the Ascenso could escape Liga MX's shadow and improve some infrastructural issues, there would be no debate in the MLS comparison. It would probably pull some MLS curious players from outside the US.

Ascenso should broaden its vision too and get in on foreign opposition on the preseason tour circuit. Generate some badly needed $$$.

Which of both leagues, in your view, has the younger average player age?

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »
@Dutty Love: If the Ascenso could escape Liga MX's shadow and improve some infrastructural issues, there would be no debate in the MLS comparison. It would probably pull some MLS curious players from outside the US.

Ascenso should broaden its vision too and get in on foreign opposition on the preseason tour circuit. Generate some badly needed $$$.

Which of both leagues, in your view, has the younger average player age?

You are right however it's a second division with relegation/promotion with Liga MX and Segunda. No matter what it will always be in the shadow of Liga MX. What I think many don't realize is that it is considered higher quality top to bottom than Costa Rica primera and better in infrastructure. Murcielagos has among the smallest stadium and it seats 15,000. That tells you something since often Saprissa, Herediano and Alajuelense make MLS teams look bad in CCL.

What I find astonishing is that not only MLS players seem untouachable on this T&T, but even NASL, USL, England 5th Div, Estonia, etc are picked over Marshall and Jomal who have been very good in Ascenso.

My thought on MLS is that it has very little pressure other than playoffs time (no relegation), lots of coaches who have no idea what they are doing tactically, and many players who are simply picked for being good athletes. With all the respect, Jamaica a country of less than 3 million doesn't produce enough quality players to justify most USA teams fielding 2-3 Jamaicans at every level. The only explanation is that there is no emphasis on tactical/technical work but only on their athleticism. And if that is what the players are used to, they are in for a bad journey in the Hexagonal.

Back to the coaches and players, Mexico has it right. They focus on foreigners from South America which bring skills/technique and mentality. They spread the budget around on younger players from Boca, River, Nacional, etc instead of paying the big bucks to aged retiring players and fill in the rest with college players or athletes. How is that someone like Camoranesi coaches in Ascenso MX after coaching Tigre in Argentina Primera, and Houston Dynamo has Wade Barrett?

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2016, 10:16:55 AM »
The pyramid works. Fighting to avoid relegation teaches you to play conservatively when is needed. Unfortunately the bulk of T&T's players play in MLS and it shows.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Yohance Marshall Thread
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2017, 04:36:04 AM »
Marshall of defence; Yohance cleared to represent North East Stars.
ttproleague.com.

North East Stars head coach Derek King will have available Trinidad and Tobago defender Yohance Marshall for Tuesday's trip against Defence Force from 6pm at Ato Boldon Stadium.

Marshall, a 31-year-old with experience on three foreign continents, received his international transfer certificate (ITC) this week, after joining North East Stars in pre-season.

“It’s great to get the legs going again,” said Marshall, who returned to Trinidad last May following stints on the South American continent, first with El Salvador’s Juventud Independiente then Mexico’s second division side Murciélagos, where he was a teammate of fellow Soca Warriors Shahdon Winchester and Jomal Williams.

“I have been keeping fit and ready for anything, including the national team and even options abroad,” continued Marshall. “North East Stars presented the perfect opportunity for me to train and continue playing for the moment because I live in Arima.”

Marshall, a Diego Martin-born former St. Anthony’s College and University of South Florida player, added that although he is committed giving his best for his adopted community of Arima and his new club North East Stars, including sharing his experience with new teammates, his ambition is to return abroad and continues to work on possible moves through his agent.

“The plan is to stay active, get some games in and return to the top of my game because I haven’t had a full game in a couple of months,” he said. “The mind-set is also that I’m also at a place where I can share my knowledge with my teammates. But the plan will ultimately be to return to playing abroad once the opportunity right.”

The former Los Angeles Galaxy and Rochester Rhinos – both North American clubs – defender’s career also took him to East Asia, where he represented Thailand’s Chainat Hornbill and Myanmar’s Nay Pyi Taw before joining Central FC in 2014 for his first professional stint in Trinidad.

“Experiencing different styles of football in different countries made me into a well-rounded player,” Marshall said. “My experience gives me the added edge to adapt quickly to various styles of play and systems.”

Marshall last represented Trinidad and Tobago on April 29 in a 2-2 friendly away to Grenada. He played the full 90 minutes against the Grenadians but was not re-called by T&T head coach Dennis Lawrence for FIFA World Cup 2018 Qualifiers against the United States (0-2) and Costa Rica (1-2) on June 9 and 13 respectively.

“The focus for me as it relates to the national team, is to get back to playing at club level and put myself in the national coaches’ plans,” explained Marshall.

For now though, King, a former Trinidad and Tobago assistant coach, is happy to have the talented defender available for selection at North East Stars.

“We are happy to have him (Marshall) available in our mix of experience and youth,” said the North East Stars coach.

King said Marshall is “a leader” who can complement defender Daneil Cyrus and others such as Elton John, who can occupy defence or central midfield positions.

Marshall’s current teammates include experienced players Kerry Baptiste, Cyrus, Kevon Villaroel, Leston Paul, Elton John and another well-travelled player, Kordell Samuel.

Other teammates include younger talents such as Kishun Seecharan, Rundell Winchester, Jomoul Francois, Seon Thomas, Jameel Neptune, Adrian Noel, Dwight Quintero, Kyle Bartholomew, Jelani Felix and Akeem Garcia.

King also hopes give valuable top flight exposure to the club’s Under-17 talents Jean-Paul Rochford, brothers Darnell and Devon Charles, and Keon Boney, who already made his top flight debut at the start of the season.

King, a former T&T international defender and 2009 Pro League-winning coach, has one competitive match under his belt this term, defeating Point Fortin Civic 1-0 on his debut as North East Stars coach on June 10 at the Arima Velodrome.

His side were set to face three-time defending champions Central FC at the same venue a week later on June 16, but concerns over ground conditions led to the aborting of the game and the debuts of T&T internationals Cyrus and Leston Paul, who joined from W Connection and Central respectively.

But already, he says things are looking up for his club.

“The club is now based in Arima. The people are coming out to see us like the days of Memphis and Arima United. We have Garcia, Jomoul, Bartholomew, Elton and others who are from Arima, representing the club of their community, and coached by me, who is also from Arima,” said King.

King, on his next assignment, predicts a tough outing against the Defence Force on Tuesday, adding that while he expects the Army/Coast Guard outfit to be their regular rugged and well-rounded team, he is also aware that all teams will be coming to give their best against his side.

“They all head plenty of us leading up to the start of the season and we expect all teams to be coming hard against us. It’s a challenge we accept this year.”

Pro League action resumes on Friday 23 June with a double-header at the Ato Boldon Stadium with Central FC against Point Fortin Civic from 6pm followed by W Connection taking on Club Sando from 8pm.

On Saturday 24 June, Police FC and MIC-IT St. Ann’s Rangers will lock horns at the Larry Gomes Stadium from 4pm.

And on Tuesday 27 June the Ato Boldon Stadium will host Morvant Caledonia United against San Juan Jabloteh from 8pm following the Defence Force-North East Stars clash two hours earlier.

Upcoming Fixtures

(Friday 23 June 2017)

Central FC vs Point Fortin Civic—6pm, Ato Boldon Stadium
W Connection vs Club Sando—8pm, Ato Boldon Stadium

(Saturday 24 June 2017)

Police FC vs MIC-IT St. Ann’s Rangers—4pm, Larry Gomes Stadium

(Tuesday 27 June 2017)

Defence Force vs North East Stars—6pm, Ato Boldon Stadium
Morvant Caledonia United vs San Juan Jabloteh—8pm, Ato Boldon Stadium

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2018, 08:48:22 PM »
WATCH: The Header that Silenced Mexico, featuring Yohance Marshall

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gVdpI4KF99M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gVdpI4KF99M</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2018, 10:57:44 PM »
Very nice piece fellas. More of these please. This type of reporting goes very far and can inspire the young to dream.

I will never for get those moments.

Thank you Stephen Hart (I know there were many other contributors . . .)

Could have benefitted from more game footage. . . was expecting to see more and was a bit disappointed.

Thanks for the piece
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2018, 07:16:56 AM »
Super League MVP Marshall eyes coaching career.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

SUPER LEAGUE MVP Yohance Marshall is looking towards a career in coaching whenever he decides to hang up his boots.

The 32-year-old Marshall, who played 15 internationals for the national team from 2010-2017, had a key role this season in helping Queen’s Park finish as the runners-up in both the League and Cup competitions.

Last weekend, Marshall was part of the coaching staff at the Queen’s Park Football Academy during their five-day joint training session with coaches from MLS champs Atlanta United FC.

Asked if he was looking at make the switch to a career on the sidelines, the composed central defender said, “Yes I think I am looking to transition before that time (to retire). I want to at least prepare myself, but not just with Queen’s Park...I think I’ll do it with whoever youths or player that I can impact.

“I’ve seen talent within the League and I (have spoken) to younger players where they can improve certain things. So I don’t think it’s just a matter of Queen’s Park where I can help. If I can help Trinidad football, I’ll be doing myself and doing my country a service.”

The Parkites did not earn any silverware this season but Marshall described the year as a success.

“I was healthy all season,” he said. “The team played well. We just enjoyed playing football.”

Marshall was part of the Pro League for a few years with Central FC and North East Stars, before joining Queen’s Park earlier this year. He believes the standard of football in the two leagues is comparable.

“I don’t think there is any drop-off from the Pro League to the Super League,” he said. “We played a lot of Pro League teams in pre-season and even during the season and we won.

“So, I can say for myself I don’t think there is a big drop-off. The difference is probably the amount of training the coaches might have.”

Marshall takes his social responsibility seriously and has been working with the Can Bou Play Foundation – a venture involving fellow players Sean De Silva, Keston George, Elton John, Akim Armstrong, Julius James, Jared Bennett and Amiel Mohammed.

According to Marshall, “We went all over the country giving of our time and running mentorship and educational programmes, and also running off some clinics.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marshall and George join forces at Iceland's Kórdrengir
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 08:59:09 PM »
Marshall and George join forces at Iceland's Kórdrengir
Can Bou Play Foundation Media

Can Bou Play founders Yohance Marshall and Keston George have found new football homes at Kórdrengir FC in Iceland's third division for the 2019 season.

"Pen is to paper now but it still hasn’t full hit yet," said George. "It is honestly it is the best feeling I have had in my career."

The new journey at Kórdrengir will mark the first time that George has played professionally outside of Trinidad and Tobago and according to the ecstatic midfielder, it all still seems a bit surreal.

​"A lot of people have had hopes and dreams of playing in Europe and didn’t get the opportunity, so for me to sign my first foreign contract out here and in the full source of everything, it’s almost surreal,"George continued.

"I am still coming to terms with it. It’s the best feeling after putting in so many years of work, blood, sweat and tears. After so many ups and downs, so many disappointments to finally receive something that makes you feel like it was all worth it, is just amazing."

​"Big brother" Yohance Marshall will suit up alongside George for the third season running after stints together at North East Stars and QPCC, and the experienced central defender was equally elated for George, who he considers to be his younger brother.

​"I actually have more joy for him, for Keston signing, because this is like his first contract outside of Trinidad and I know how hard he has been working over the years," stated Marshall.

"He is like my little brother. I know him since he was like 13 or so.  I’ve seen him grow over the years and I’ve seen how hard he has worked. Unfortunate circumstances meant he was not able to break through in some places but I’m so happy for him now."

The contract in Iceland will be Marshall's first in Europe, but his third continent overall after stints in USA, Central America and Asia.

The feeling at being able to still be afforded these opportunities at 33 and alongside his friends is something that he cherishes.

"Just happy to be playing still. To get another opportunity to play and continue what I love to do. Playing in a different part of the world again, and seeing another place through football is the main thing."

​"This experience is going to be amazing and happy that we can experience it together."

"And I could say that same thing for Sean. This is basically both of their opportunities to showcase their talents and I'm glad that I could join them. Glad I could join them as a friend and as part of the Can Bou Play Family."

Marshall and George will have a familiar face when they begin their careers in Iceland later this month as fellow Can Bou Play Founder Sean de Silva will be a stone's through away from them in Reykjavik after he signed for Haukaur FC earlier this month.

​It makes the experience even more special according to George.

"Its no better feeling than being here with your friends," said George.

​"Signing with Yohance is almost surreal because you know in school I grew up watching Yohance and my brother play together and now to be alongside him, become team mates, become closer as friends and now this, is really special.

"He is like a big brother."

"Sean being here as well is like the whole CBP Foundation, what we have given, our time and our resources to the youth of T&T, it kinda paying back now as we all are getting opportunities to play in places that we all wanted to play in."

"Positive vibes follows positive vibes. Can Bou Play to the world!"
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2019, 05:24:34 AM »
Congratulations to both and especial big up to Yohance for pulling that off at this stage of his career. When interviewed while at NE Stars and at QPCC he had stated returning overseas was a goal and he scored. Niceness!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 07:37:54 AM »
Goodluck guys :beermug: 3 players in Iceland now! Like the Can Bou Play developed an Icelandic connection.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »
Congrats to all 3 of them on this new venture!
Great work at QPCC last season along with Elton John who just joined the Canadian Premier League

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
Goodluck guys :beermug: 3 players in Iceland now! Like the Can Bou Play developed an Icelandic connection.

Yep. The guys just focusing on showing their best in Iceland and then hopefully opening up more doors for younger players.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2021, 12:01:14 PM »
WATCH Yohance Marshall speaks about his transition to futsal and the learning curve involved.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Mba4y3H_kpg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Mba4y3H_kpg</a>

1]; } ?>