March 28, 2024, 06:12:23 AM

Author Topic: 16 Is the Magic Number  (Read 4486 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
16 Is the Magic Number
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:39:11 PM »
I think that if we could get 16 pts in the final group stage, that should secure us at least 3rd position and a spot in SA.

If we could maintain our home form we can make it.

Hon 3pts
ES   3pts
Mex 3pts (we have done well at home in recent times)
CR   1pt
US   1pt

If we can snatch some results on the road
ES  3pts
Hon 1pt

That should leave us with 15 trying to get a result either in Mex, US or CR, places where we have stuggled in the past. Experience should get us though though in at least one of those games. I hoping we get to kick off the hex with ES preferably at home , sometimes that first 3pts is the biggest hurdle. Worst scenario is to start off on the road against Mex or CR.

Wah allyuh tink?
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Is the Magic Number
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:42:52 PM »
Do early u do d sums
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:50:49 PM »
why just settle fuh 3rd.we cyar play fuh 3rd.we have to do away with this we cyar beat usa attitude.win out de hex.soca warriors could and will step up.heartbreak eh ez.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »
why just settle fuh 3rd.we cyar play fuh 3rd.we have to do away with this we cyar beat usa attitude.win out de hex.soca warriors could and will step up.heartbreak eh ez.

Someone sing the second verse...

Dream on Dream away....

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 01:55:22 PM »
Whatever the minimum requirement is, if we overachieve then better party.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 01:56:05 PM »
How about we just aim for full points  ;D.  Victory home and away for all games.  16 might be the magic number but lets aim for the maximum.  Yuh know how our squad love to give the fans heart attack and just bearly make it at the last possible moment.  I figure if both the Fans and the players expect total points and aim for that, we could actually ease the tension and qualify with less heart attack moments.  :beermug:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »
yuh neva hear aim higher.yuh aim fuh 3rd and fall short.wuh de story go be.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Hex draw details
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
Taken from WIKIPEDIA

Dates for the draw

Fourth Round

Main article: 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification - CONCACAF Fourth Round
The six teams that reach the fourth round will form one double-round-robin, home-and-away group. The top three teams will qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. The fourth place team will compete in a home-and-away play-off against the fifth-place team from CONMEBOL.

The draw for the fixtures will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa on November 22, 2008.

Match days are:

11 February 2009 - Ah go be in Trini fuh dat
28 March 2009
1 April 2009
6 June 2009
10 June 2009
12 August 2009
5 September 2009
9 September 2009
10 October 2009
14 October 2009

The teams are:

Costa Rica           
El Salvador         
Honduras       
Mexico     
Trinidad and Tobago   
United States

Play-off
The 4th place team will then play the 5th place team from the CONMEBOL Qualification in a home and away play-off. The winner of this play-off will qualify for the 2010 FIFA World Cup finals.

The order that the two matches will be played is yet to be determined.

CONCACAF 4th place - CONMEBOL 5th place - -
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
 30 points is the magic number for me  :beermug:

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hex draw details
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 02:07:27 PM »
anyone know the time(tt time) the draw takes place on Saturday?
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
yuh neva hear aim higher.yuh aim fuh 3rd and fall short.wuh de story go be.

Well if we get d 16pts after 6 games i happy, if we get it after 10 games i still happy. Just as long as we get it.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:10:27 PM »
Palos boi LP and co hope iz an away game. Dey eh want no home game in d middle of carnival
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Looking towards the Hex
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 02:12:16 PM »
So I know it's early days but I think we can start trying to guess how the Hex will shape up and what are the most probable ways of us qualifying.

The other teams in the Hex are the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras and El Salvador. We play each team home and away (10 games).

Historically since the Hex format was created (1998), third place has been won with 14, 16 or 17 points (Automatic Promotion). Fourth place has been won with 12, 14, 13 points (Playoff Spot). The playoff is going to be tougher this time around (IMO) with the possibility of playing Uruguay (at this point) or teams like Ecuador, Colombia.

I think it'll be easier for us to get 3rd in the Hex than to win the playoff if end up there again. Here are some of my guesses for how the games could go and our possibility of getting points in the Hex.

Away Games

USA - I can't see us winning this game, nor drawing. However it's important that we make sure not to concede too many goals. I think a 0-1 or 0-2 loss can be seen as positive for our goal difference.

Mexico - I also think this fixture is too difficult for us to win or draw. Much like the USA away game, it's important we don't concede more than two goals.

Costa Rica - Very difficult game... but Costa Rica hasn't been looking that hot these days and they had a relatively easy qualifying run. I think we have a shot at a draw if we play really well, but it's a long shot.

Honduras - With their current form this is going to be really difficult. But I think for us to have a chance at 3rd place, we need to get a point from this game. Central American teams have a tendency to choke when it matters (Remember us beating them in Honduras and pretty much knocking them out in 2001 when we were already knocked out), so winning this game is a definite possibility but by no means an easy feat...

El Salvador - Minimum a point from this game, but I feel if we don't win this one we cannot get 3rd spot. It's no easy game, their crowd is intimidating but not as much as Guatemala.

Home Games

USA - With our psychological boost of getting a win regardless of the team they fielded, I think we have a real shot of at least drawing them at home. If we lose though I don't think it's going to kill our chances.

Mexico - Need a draw at least... but a win would be huge. We've done it before (2000, 2005) and would've won in 2001 if Eve didn't get sent off.

Costa Rica - Depends on if they pick up their form or not. We can't lose this game... a win would definitely put us in contention for 3rd, a draw makes 4th more likely (like in 2005).

Honduras - Must win game, possibly the hardest of our home games that we NEED three points from. They have a good record at the stadium against us, last game we lost 2-4. We cannot let that happen this time!

El Salvador - If we don't win this game, 3rd or 4th will probably be out of reach.

---------

I think the draw is going to have a major impact on our chances. If, like in 2005, we get a home fixture against Mexico and/or the USA at the end of qualifying, then this changes things as they may have already qualified and would field a weaker team.

Right now Mexico is playing poorly but it would be naive to say they're on the same level as us based on history. I'm not sure if it's better for us that the USA and Mexico pull far ahead as they usually do or it becomes a big dog fight for 2nd to 4th (I think it's safe to think the USA will likely qualify early). Costa Rica and Honduras' form is a big uncertainty... like T&T in 2000 it is possible that Honduras has peaked too early and will under perform in the Hex (we hope!). El Salvador is also pretty uncertain, they might be a bit demoralised with their last game... Let's hope the central american curse hits them hard!

Forgetting all our off the field and selection issues, I don't think T&T has peaked yet which is probably a good sign for us. I hope we start off well this time around unlike in 2005 otherwise our only shot might be the playoff and I don't feel confident about that at all.

For us to get 17 points (highest amount needed for 3rd so far), I theorise our most probable scenario is getting 10 points from home games (Wins versus El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Draw Mexico), 7 points from away (Win versus El Salvador, Honduras, Draw Costa Rica). Not impossible but very difficult.

For the 14 points for the playoff spot, instead of the above can perhaps draw Costa Rica at home and lose to Mexico at home. I can't see getting 3rd or 4th by not defeating El Salvador and Honduras without getting 3 points from either the USA and Mexico combined, which I think is highly dependent on the draw.

What are your predictions?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:14:11 PM by R45 »

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »
Yorke use to be real fortunate that we use to get a home game on Ash Wednesday (even if it is a friendly) so that he could go lime with he partner Lara in Poison (or Island People of late) jamming on two or three sketels Carnival Monday and Tuesday.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »
anyone know the time(tt time) the draw takes place on Saturday?

I don't know when they will get to the CONCACAF part, but the confederations cup draw starts at 10 a.m. Eastern (11 a.m. Trinidad)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking towards the Hex
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2008, 02:26:11 PM »
Leh we c how d draw turn out ist plus how d fringe players play dgicup

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 02:28:08 PM »
All yuh relax we done know d dates and who we playin is just 2 find out what order we playin dem

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 02:29:49 PM »
Palos boi LP and co hope iz an away game. Dey eh want no home game in d middle of carnival

From a totally selfish perspective, it go be nice if is a home game because I would get to go and see it LIVE and DIRECK.

I jes hopin dat is not USA Away.  Daz a game ah definitely doh want to miss.

Ah doubt ah goin El Salvador, Costa Rica, Honduras or Mexico to watch we play.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 02:33:24 PM »
 pessimistic...

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Record against Hex teams
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 02:40:58 PM »

CR played 12   USA played 12   Mex played 9   Hun played 5  ES played 2   Total played 40

W 0               W 1                 W 3               W 1              W 1              W 6
D  3               D  2                 D 1                D  2             D  1              D  9
L  9               L   9                 L  5               L  2              L  0              L  25

GF 3              GF 5                 GF 9              GF 5             GF 2            GF 24
GA 21            GA 17               GA 20             GA 7             GA 0           GA 65
GD -18           GD -12              GD -11           GD -2           GD +2          GD -41

If we are to advance we have to upset at least Two of the big three teams.
Our record against Mex is not that bad , but USA and CR have owned us. We can't afford to let this happen this time. GO WARRIORS GO

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Record against Hex teams
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 02:48:24 PM »
allyuh rell bored today boy

listen to me clearly

NONE OF THESE TEAMS EVER PLAYED US YET
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
Re: T&T Record against Hex teams
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2008, 02:48:48 PM »
not a problem...

bring it on!!!
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline Yogi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2008, 02:55:35 PM »
Well put together R45. I was thinking about the teams in the Hex also and when comes to El Salvador we can beat them home and away thats the team we need to take maximum points from. It is not too late also to bring in a better coach than dumbtist!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2008, 02:56:36 PM »
R45 you still thinking about honduras choking that was what the jamaicas were saying eh ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2008, 03:02:18 PM »
regardless of the draw, we want to play mexico and the US at home in the 2nd round/return leg and hopefully towards the end of the fixtures..ie..games 9 and 10. that increases the likelihood that they will be already qualified and send B teams to POS. That is what you call the luck of the draw and we want that.

But Concacaf real 'simple'...win at home and you will qualify automatically.

Offline R45

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2008, 03:26:59 PM »
pessimistic...
How am I pessimistic? What part of my comments are not realistic?

R45 you still thinking about honduras choking that was what the jamaicas were saying eh ....
We can hope they choke, but even if they don't, we still have to get the job. I'm not saying they will, but we can wish for it anyway.

regardless of the draw, we want to play mexico and the US at home in the 2nd round/return leg and hopefully towards the end of the fixtures..ie..games 9 and 10. that increases the likelihood that they will be already qualified and send B teams to POS. That is what you call the luck of the draw and we want that.

But Concacaf real 'simple'...win at home and you will qualify automatically.
Completely agree! Playing the US/Mex at the end at home will definitely put us at an advantage.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2008, 03:39:11 PM »
A nice realistic look at the scenario at this point in time....may be slightly biased towards T&T, but hey, nothing wrong with the optimism.   Please doh turn the thread into another one of those useless "select-your-starting-eleven" threads....please !!!
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 03:58:50 PM »
If we want to push for 3rd spot/automatic qualification

--------------Ince------------------
Cyd---Lawrence---Thomas----Avery
Edwards---Birchall---Yorke----Daniel
-----------Latas/(Whitely)----------
--------------Jones----------------

If we want to go for 4th/playoff spot...sub Aklie in for Avery

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 04:36:12 PM »
10 games
5 home
5 away

FULL STADIUM...

accept nothing less...

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2008, 04:45:53 PM »
30 points is the magic number for me  :beermug:
:beermug: :beermug:

and to be honest, ah cyah see why not...

dey fraid we...

1]; } ?>