April 20, 2024, 02:26:49 AM

Author Topic: Gally relates racism struggles in Atlanta  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gally relates racism struggles in Atlanta
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:03:50 AM »
By Joel Bailey (Trinidad Newsday)

FORMER NATIONAL football team player and coach Everald “Gally” Cummings sees the recent election of Barack Obama as the 44th President of the United States as a triumph for persons of African descent, as well as persons of “colour”, who struggled to deal with racism in the US throughout the years. Cummings, the only footballer to claim the local (now First Citizens) Sports Personality of the Year (1973), played professionally for Atlanta Chiefs in the original North American Soccer League (NASL) from 1967 to 1972.

He recently related his experiences in Atlanta, in the state of Georgia, during the era ofivil rights leader Dr Martin Luther King junior and at a time when “blacks” were restricted in almost everywhere they went, including stores, malls and social gatherings.

“I was the only Trinidad and Tobago footballer to play in Atlanta in the 1960s, even though I was at Fatima (at the time) and they (the scouts) had to see my parents,” he noted. “There were mixed feelings but my parents decided that I should go. At the age of 18, Cummings earned a professional contract for the Chiefs during the NASL’s inaugural year (1967), after American scouts recruited players from Haiti, Jamaica and Latin America.

“I wasn’t briefed properly about the racial tension in Atlanta,” Cummings confessed. “While in Atlanta, I experienced first-hand the indignity of segregation, racism and bigotry that degraded “blacks” in the South. I had to live with it in Georgia and I also had to face inter-racial problems in my own team, which was predominantly whites from Britain.” Cummings was housed close to the Martin Luther King (senior) Baptist Church and had the privilege of meeting the American hero.

“In those days, soccer was now starting in the States and I met and listened to a host of “black” activists (including) Stokely Carmichael (better known as Kwame Ture). “That really shaped and moulded my identity as a “black” man and made me very conscious of who I was,” he continued. “Those early experiences helped me to formulate my identity as a person and a player.”

Cummings admitted that, for coloured athletes, things were so bad that legendary baseballer Hank Aaron, who was a member of the Atlanta Braves, was never allowed to have a television advertisement during his career because of his pigmentation.

Things were so bad in Atlanta that Cummings actually enjoyed his vacation time in Trinidad.

He highlighted that fact that there were no mixed marriages or compromising of positions in the area, and there were separate areas for “whites” and “non-whites”. Looking back at his stay in Atlanta, he noted, “what was important was (that) it bolstered my confidence and assisted me tremendously in understanding the emancipation of spirit and soul. “In the bowels of the Atlanta Stadium in the 1960s, I shook off the colonial footballing shackles and emancipated myself (football-wise) and vowed to display my indigenous style of football as an Afro-Caribbean person. And this helped my career to be a excellent one.”

Cummings avidly followed Obama’s campaign for the White House, and revealed that Obama’s success on November 4 brought tears to his eyes since it was something he thought he would have never seen – a person of colour being elected as the US President. “I felt it better since I experienced it first hand,” he said, referring to his time in Atlanta. The year 1968 was an eventful year for Cummings – in April saw the assassination of Dr King (Cummings stated that he heard the news after a team practise) while in October, the Chiefs won the NASL title.

Since he was so close to the teachings of Dr King, he attended the funeral in April of that year. “Only myself and a Ghanaian (teammate),” he said. “I travelled in the same bus (to the service) with the Supremes, Diana Ross, Bill Cosby and Stevie Wonder. “I was like a little kid in a candy store, but the only sad thing was that (we were) going to a funeral,” he continued. After his time at Atlanta Chiefs, Cummings went on to play with the New York Cosmos. “It was a different environment,” he said. “It made me understand what American people were going through.” With regards to Obama’s glory, Cummings pointed out, “I am so elated and privileged as a ‘black’ man to see when Obama won.” Cummings admired his poise, positive attitude, family love and caring style, as well as the fact that he carries his African name (Obama’s father is Kenyan).

And the local football great left a parting message for persons aspiring for glory, similar to the US president-elect. “The greatest change in life for most of us is not that our aim was too high and we missed it but it was too low and we missed it.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gally relates racism struggles in Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 07:12:09 AM »
As it pertained to Gally, and it will to Obama.................

Imagine he won't be able to step foot in West Virginia, Kentucky,
most parts of Tennessee, and the list goes on.

So, I have to ask, how does Obama winning the White House do
anything for coloured people?
Has anyone been noticing the 'change' he has made with the folks
he is in the process of naming to his cabinet?

One more thing, who or what is an African/American, when most
black Americans could not tell you the capital of Kenya?

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 07:49:44 AM »
An African American is a person of african decent that is living in america.

Most americans do not know the capital of Kenya because it is not important to them.

The country is big enough so they have enough things to focus on internally and things outside america are of little importance to them. of course in this digital global age things are changing and the world is getting smaller.

Also having a self belief that they are the best in the world allows them to internally focused.

That said there are many americans who know about "world matters" the ones who need to know like the state department, the CIA, and the business men.
The ones that understand world matters so good that they are able to exploit them to the maximum and bring the riches to the masses in America.

An african american is no different than an Indian from Caroni,
What part of India they from?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »

Things were so bad in Atlanta that Cummings actually enjoyed his vacation time in Trinidad.

nice..........
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 02:00:50 PM by morvant »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:50:32 AM »

Most americans do not know the capital of Kenya because it is not important to them.

The country is big enough so they have enough things to focus on internally and things outside america are of little importance to them. of course in this digital global age things are changing and the world is getting smaller.

Also having a self belief that they are the best in the world allows them to internally focused.

That said there are many americans who know about "world matters" the ones who need to know like the state department, the CIA, and the business men.
The ones that understand world matters so good that they are able to exploit them to the maximum and bring the riches to the masses in America.

Ah waiting to see what dey go call deyself next.  First it was negro, then coloured, then black, now is african american.  It seems like every few decades they have a new name for demselves.

As for African American I guess if Charlieze Thieron got US citizenship she would be African American too.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:29:54 AM »

I am a true to d bone Trini who has resided in 'D States' for over 30 years.
Does that make me a Trini/American?

If you have African in your racial description, why don't you know more
about where you are from?
African/Americans are proud to use the description, but ashamed of their
ancestorial continent?
What IS important to African/Americans? To be 13% of the population, but
80% + of the American penal population?

As for Indians, as is the case in Trinidad, they WILL become a major
force in the American economic landscape, and become more politically
powerful, a la Bobby Jindal (Gov of Louisiana) who will be a force to
reckon with come 2012.
And as for an Indian knowing where they are from, I am sure they do.

Offline Oz

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 10:02:02 AM »
BLISS.......NUFF said.   ;)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 10:12:53 AM »

I was the only Trinidad and Tobago footballer to play in Atlanta in the 1960s, even though I was at Fatima (at the time) and they (the scouts) had to see my parents,” he noted. “There were mixed feelings but my parents decided that I should go. At the age of 18, Cummings earned a professional contract for the Chiefs during the NASL’s inaugural year (1967), after American scouts recruited players from Haiti, Jamaica and Latin America.

Tallest help me out here, didn't Bert Grell play for the Chiefs in the 1960s? Wasn't he also on the championship team? Isn't he also a Trini? :devil:
Live large and prosper!

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 11:27:21 AM »
yuh know ah reading dis posts and wondering what kinda idiotic responses it will get? sure enough, up jumps some republican with all kinda outatiming talk ;)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 11:30:54 AM »
"An African American is a person of African descent living in the Americas"- Malcolm X ("Malcolm X: Nationalist or Humanist?").  That definition has always worked for me.  The silly focus on "what dey calling demselves" is pointless, and is a criticism equally applicable to TnT.  Growing up everybody was Trini, a person of Indian descent was called "indian", and a person of African descent was called "black".  Today the references are "Afro-Trini" and "Indo-Trini".  Whether anybody on this forum subscribes to those labels is besides the point, but if we are to be so petty as to criticise black Americans for the changing labels, then perhaps we need to look internally as well.

As for KND's comments... I find it amazing that you can so easily paint all (or most) Americans with one broad brush to say that they are "internally focused" and ignorant of global issues.  Having been educated both here (HS and college) and in Trinidad I can honestly say that there isn't the same focus on global education here as in Trinidad.  That said, it's a bit laughable to insist even that "most" Americans are ignorant of such... how do you measure that?  Have you met "most" Americans?  Certainly the Americans that I personally interact with are no more ignorant of global issues than the Trinis I've encountered.  In both groups there are pockets of people who are more knowledgeable and pockets who are less so than the other.  One thing may be true however, there seems to be less curiousity about global affairs in the US as one recedes inwards from the coasts.  Don't know why that is... perhaps exposure to different peoples/cultures.

Finally, as to the article itself... I hardly found it revelatory or even informational.  Gally described his experiences with racism in only cursory terms... with MLK's funeral being the only indepth look offered of his time in the US.  That being the case I'd have to say that the article missed it's mark.  I also found it curious that all the references to "black" were put in quotations... almost as though it were a pejorative.  Not sure what that's all about.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:21:31 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
...So, I have to ask, how does Obama winning the White House do

It is incredibly short-sighted of you if you can't see the positives that could come from Obama's election as it pertains to black people.  The criticism you also level at him is the same tired superficial talk that there isn't enough "change" taking place in his proposed cabinet.  Change is about more than just new bodies, new bodies are cycled in and out of Congress every two years in case you haven't been paying attention... and how much change has that in of itself brought us? 

Change is about new ideas and new policies, to go along with new attitudes and yes...  new bodies.  None of the 'recycled' individuals are serving in the same capacities as they served under Clinton... with Holder being the closest exception.  The spirit of inclusivity and the willingness to listen to others who at times share even discordant ideas is the one markedly noticeable difference between Obama and the last three American Presidents... particularly as it pertains to Clinton and Bush, Jr. they surrounded themselves with people who not only reflected their own thoughts, but who also seemed to lack the fortitude to speak up and tell them when they were wrong.

I can continue to enumerate additional departures from prior administrations, but indeed it is entirely too premature to start criticizing or praising an administration that hasn't even been sworn in yet.  Given the direction in which this thread has started I suspect it's likely to be moved.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:23:15 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 12:21:39 PM »
First NASL Champions with trophy:

Team photo

In 1967 the league was actually a short lived NPSL. Following the 1967 season, the NPSL merged with the United Soccer Association into the North American Soccer League.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 01:31:42 PM by E-man »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »

Am I the only one who sees this as the most unfortunate rendering of Gally's sentiments.

Bailey makes it sound like Gally enjoyed his vacation in T&T only because things were very bad in Atlanta. As if to say otherwise he wouldn't have enjoyed his time. . .
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:12:18 PM by Tallman »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 03:23:13 PM »
yuh know ah reading dis posts and wondering what kinda idiotic responses it will get? sure enough, up jumps some republican with all kinda outatiming talk ;)
Boy!!! i could'nt say it any better ! talk about subjective views, if i was knd i wouldn't even respond to such rubbish.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 04:53:54 PM »
Ah see the voices of reason arrived to bring some balance to the distortion evident earlier in the thread ... As man! ah logged in about 6 hours ago to respond ... and ah decided to type the following ... "Bakes?" ... as in Bakes you wanna take this? ... :) .. buh since ah knew he would arrive, ah say nah ... leh things take dey normal course ... leh me go my way ... balance restored
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:55:44 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 05:14:19 PM »

I was the only Trinidad and Tobago footballer to play in Atlanta in the 1960s, even though I was at Fatima (at the time) and they (the scouts) had to see my parents,” he noted. “There were mixed feelings but my parents decided that I should go. At the age of 18, Cummings earned a professional contract for the Chiefs during the NASL’s inaugural year (1967), after American scouts recruited players from Haiti, Jamaica and Latin America.

Tallest help me out here, didn't Bert Grell play for the Chiefs in the 1960s? Wasn't he also on the championship team? Isn't he also a Trini? :devil:

Ah tink Grell only played for de Washington Darts/Diplomats

Offline Oz

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 09:25:51 PM »
Thanks Bakes.  I admire your patience.  Hopefully your response will enlighten its target.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 06:07:31 AM »
...So, I have to ask, how does Obama winning the White House do

It is incredibly short-sighted of you if you can't see the positives that could come from Obama's election as it pertains to black people.  The criticism you also level at him is the same tired superficial talk that there isn't enough "change" taking place in his proposed cabinet.  Change is about more than just new bodies, new bodies are cycled in and out of Congress every two years in case you haven't been paying attention... and how much change has that in of itself brought us? 

Change is about new ideas and new policies, to go along with new attitudes and yes...  new bodies.  None of the 'recycled' individuals are serving in the same capacities as they served under Clinton... with Holder being the closest exception.  The spirit of inclusivity and the willingness to listen to others who at times share even discordant ideas is the one markedly noticeable difference between Obama and the last three American Presidents... particularly as it pertains to Clinton and Bush, Jr. they surrounded themselves with people who not only reflected their own thoughts, but who also seemed to lack the fortitude to speak up and tell them when they were wrong.

I can continue to enumerate additional departures from prior administrations, but indeed it is entirely too premature to start criticizing or praising an administration that hasn't even been sworn in yet.  Given the direction in which this thread has started I suspect it's likely to be moved.

Thanks Bakes!!!

Newbies take note, doh feel allyuh go come here and talk stupiness and nobody eh go call allyuh on it.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 11:50:28 AM »
"An African American is a person of African descent living in the Americas"- Malcolm X ("Malcolm X: Nationalist or Humanist?").  That definition has always worked for me.  The silly focus on "what dey calling demselves" is pointless, and is a criticism equally applicable to TnT.  Growing up everybody was Trini, a person of Indian descent was called "indian", and a person of African descent was called "black".  Today the references are "Afro-Trini" and "Indo-Trini".  Whether anybody on this forum subscribes to those labels is besides the point, but if we are to be so petty as to criticise black Americans for the changing labels, then perhaps we need to look internally as well.

As for KND's comments... I find it amazing that you can so easily paint all (or most) Americans with one broad brush to say that they are "internally focused" and ignorant of global issues.  Having been educated both here (HS and college) and in Trinidad I can honestly say that there isn't the same focus on global education here as in Trinidad.  That said, it's a bit laughable to insist even that "most" Americans are ignorant of such... how do you measure that?  Have you met "most" Americans?  Certainly the Americans that I personally interact with are no more ignorant of global issues than the Trinis I've encountered.  In both groups there are pockets of people who are more knowledgeable and pockets who are less so than the other.  One thing may be true however, there seems to be less curiousity about global affairs in the US as one recedes inwards from the coasts.  Don't know why that is... perhaps exposure to different peoples/cultures.

Finally, as to the article itself... I hardly found it revelatory or even informational.  Gally described his experiences with racism in only cursory terms... with MLK's funeral being the only indepth look offered of his time in the US.  That being the case I'd have to say that the article missed it's mark.  I also found it curious that all the references to "black" were put in quotations... almost as though it were a pejorative.  Not sure what that's all about.

Very Good post. I actually find Americans "in general" to be more globally aware than Trinis.  It's interesting how we harp on the stereotype of the dumb yank who knows nothing outside of the American shores, and then get all hot and bothered about the stereotype of the Trini liming under a coconut tree.  From my experience, educated Americans in general due to the size of this country, standard of living, technology, and their economic and social positioning in the world are actually more well-travelled and versed in global affairs than are their Trini counterparts.  Though my experiences in the U.S. are admittedly skewed to the educated middle class, so are my experiences in T&T.....  There is a significant amount of xenophobia and shelteredness present in the U.S. that is more publicized to the outside world and hence puts a shade over the other side of the fence.....and I want to bet that there are also alot of (black) Trinis who don't know the capital of Kenya either.

Again, good post...What Obama appears to be doing so far is akin to the administrations of Lincoln (and Kennedy maybe)- which is by no means traditional.  I feel like some ppl are expecting Obama to wave a magic wand, and recreate conventional thinking in the hopes of miracles....People need to get off the whole "change" slogan, and recognize that it's a campaign slogan and not a signed contract that ought to be interpreted literally (and radically at that)....

There is a huge difference between politics and governing.

Somebody say thread derailed?  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »

Page 5 of the following newsletter has a profile on Bert Grell which says that he played with the Chiefs. If my memory serves me right, I also recalled him wearing his NASL champioship ring.
http://www.dccourts.gov/dccourts/docs/FCPJul03.pdf
Live large and prosper!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »

Page 5 of the following newsletter has a profile on Bert Grell which says that he played with the Chiefs. If my memory serves me right, I also recalled him wearing his NASL champioship ring.

nasljerseys.com has him listed, but it's got him twice, erroneously as 'Robert' Grell for the Washington teams and Bertrand Grell for Atlanta in 1968 - no stats for the Atlanta stint and he's not in the '68 team photo though - is it possible he was signed but just never played a match?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 01:10:57 PM »

Well if de man say so, is so. But in the NASL Player Registry, he is not associated with the Chiefs. Maybe an oversight.

1]; } ?>