April 28, 2024, 06:08:06 PM

Author Topic: Super six take aim.  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Super six take aim.
« on: November 27, 2008, 10:15:33 PM »
Super six take aim.
By: FIFA.COM

It's crunch time in the North, Central America and Caribbean Zone. The final ‘hexagonal' round is here, and the region's heavyweights all have their sights trained squarely on the three-and-a-half places at the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. Regional champions the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador and Trinidad and Tobago are all in the hunt.

The favourites
The region's 'big three' is a fairly well-defined trio of teams. The United States, Mexico and Costa Rica will be considered firm favourites to take the top three positions in the hexagonal and lay claim to the three direct berths to the first African finals in 2010. The Americans, led by coach Bob Bradley, have a fine blend of youth and experience to work with and are led by CONCACAF Gold Cup-winning captain and top scorer Landon Donovan.

Mexico, for their part, are hoping to rebound from a dreadfully inconsistent semi-final qualifying round in which they picked up only one point in their last three games and were very nearly edged at the final hurdle by Jamaica. Costa Rica, well-drilled by new boss Rodrigo Kenton, had a very different experience in their semi-final round, winning all six of their games in a startling run of form, albeit in a far weaker section than the Mexicans.

The outsiders
Leading the charge outside the 'big three' is an outstanding Honduras team, led by Colombian tactician Reinaldo Rueda in the technical area and David Suazo and Amado Guevara on the pitch. The Catrachos pipped Mexico to top spot in semi-final Group 2, which also included Canada and talented, if inconsistent, Jamaica. Trinidad and Tobago, after nearly going out in the pre-qualifying rounds to minnows Bermuda, picked things up and managed to put together an effective run to sneak past Guatemala and finish second behind USA in their section. With 40-year-old creator Russell Latapy back from retirement, Dwight Yorke playing well and striker supreme Kenwyne Jones returning from a serious knee injury, the Soca Warriors look good outside bets to reach their second straight, and second ever, FIFA World Cup finals.

El Salvador are a team that cannot be ignored. Overhauled by Mexican coach Carlos de los Cobos, the Central Americans are much improved from recent years and, in their Cuscatlan Stadium, they possess one of the most intimidating venues in all of the Americas. Top scorer Rudis Corrales' seven goals in eight qualifiers make him a player for opposition defences to worry about.

The players to watch
Landon Donovan (USA), Tim Howard (USA), Jozy Altidore (USA), Rafa Marquez (MEX), Andres Guardado (MEX), Carlos Vela (MEX), David Suazo (HON), Amado Guevara (HON), Wilson Palacios (HON), Dwight Yorke (TRI), Russell Latapy (TRI), Kenwyne Jones (TRI), Bryan Ruiz (CRC), Walter Centeno (CRC), Rudis Corrales (SLV), Eliseo Quintanilla (SLV)

The crunch games
The two meetings between the USA and Mexico (on 11 February in the States and 12 August at the Azteca) are bound to be, as always, classic contests marked by intimidation and hard play on the pitch and a lively atmosphere on the terraces. The clashes between Mexico and Honduras (1 April and 9 September) are also bound to be full of incident as the two battled tooth-and-nail to a win apiece in the previous round.

The stat
13 - the number of times Mexico have qualified for the FIFA World Cup finals, the best record in CONCACAF. The USA are up next with eight finals appearances. Costa Rica have been to world football's showpiece event three times, while El Salvador have been twice and Trinidad and Honduras have one appearance at the finals to their names.

Did you know?
Mexico have only ever lost one qualifying game at their capital fortress, the Estadio Azteca, 2-1 to Costa Rica on 17 June 2001. The USA, Honduras, Trinidad and Tobago and El Salvador have never won at the fabled ground.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Super six take aim.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:19:53 PM »
Time 2 change dat beat dem in d Azteca. Latas is a player 2 watch u read dat Dr. Henderson
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 10:24:02 PM »
T&T have 3 on the list of "players to watch". Add Carlos Edwards name to that, so make it four...

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:44:50 PM »
T&T have 3 on the list of "players to watch". Add Carlos Edwards name to that, so make it four...
Nah, add keon Daniel. Im sure he will keep up the scoring from the left side

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »
Nah, add keon Daniel. Im sure he will keep up the scoring from the left side

If Daniel not playing for a club next year he should be dropped completely

Offline trinimuse

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:01:05 AM »
Overhauled by Mexican coach Carlos de los Cobos...

el Salvador tiefing we brand or wha ??!!  :o  :devil:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:14:38 PM »
The comments following this article are quite hilarious...

1US 2Honduras 3El Salvador 4Mexico 5T&T 6Costa Rica
Posted by soccerfan07, Honduras on 28/11/2008 at 16:04

Yeah...I see it hard for any team to defeat Mexico in Estadio Azteca. So...therefore Mexico should at least get the third spot.Predictions: 1)USA 2) Mexico 3) Honduras 4) Costa Rica 5) T & T 6) El Salvador (Yeah i love salvadorians but sorry your team is quite weak compared to the rest)
Posted by chicanopride, USA on 28/11/2008 at 03:57

heres what i think: Mexico and Honduras had a VERY hard group. Therefore they're the most battle-tested at this stage. No offense, but Costa Rica and El Salvador had a weak group. They need to play harder in this round if they want to make it. USA is pretty much a given since not many teams try against them (I feel that only Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago go for the win). Also, I'll admit Mexico hasn't been playing well...so with this in mind, my prediction is: 1) Honduras, 2) USA, 3) T&T, 4) Mexico, 5) El Salvador, 6) Costa Rica. I feel that even though Mexico should go for first place, if they really have CONCACAF's best interests in mind, they should go slot #4 since they are the only one capable of beating a South American team. If not... 1) Honduras, 2) Mexico, 3) USA, 4) El Salvador, 5) T&T, 6) Costa Rica. It's weird, but could happen...
Posted by mehicoboy, USA on 28/11/2008 at 03:50

Results after all 10 matches per Team are completed: [1].USA (20 points, Goal diff: 10) [2].MEXICO (20 points, Goal diff: 8) [3].COSTA RICA (15 points, Goal diff: 3) [4].EL SALVADOR (9 points, Goal diff: -5) [5].HONDURAS (8 points, Goal diff: -4) [6].T & T (5 points, Goal diff: -11) This means really that either El Salvador or Honduras will have to Play Off against Uruguay or Ecuador or Chile. To avoid this, El Salvador need to upset one of the big guns (USA or Mexico or CR) without losing to T & T or Honduras.
Posted by Endothermic1, Korea Republic on 28/11/2008 at 01:03

When It comes to T&T people remember Yorke and Latapy (who can Still play dispite their age) but we aslo have good players like Carlos Ewards, Kenwyne Jones and Cris Birchall not forgeting we have talented players coming up like Keon Daniel, Kahleem Hyland and Marvin phillip. I think we are going to surprise some people in this Hex as I said no team should be taken for granted this time around
Posted by georgeboyred, Trinidad and Tobago on 28/11/2008 at 00:52

pocoloco, I agree with you. The teams that come out victorious on Feb 11 will have a boost in morale. segarcia1, The U.S. does a pretty good job of not underestimating their opponents. I agree with you though that no team should be underestimated. Go USA!
Posted by MadDog2000, USA on 28/11/2008 at 00:32
My Standings at the end of the round : 1.USA, 2. Honduras, 3.El Salvador, 4.Mexico, 5.Costa Rica, 6.Trinidad
Posted by TheGift, El Salvador on 27/11/2008 at 20:21

i think without no doubt the top two powerhouses in concacaf is USA and Honduras.. first time all central american teams are in the final qualifying round except Guatemala. i think there will be allies like 82' wcq. my prediction is Honduras - USA - El Salvador - Mexico - Costa Rica - Trining & Tobago..
Posted by Tibbles, USA on 27/11/2008 at 19:36

This is the real thing now ANYONE can qualify but i think usa and mexico are deffinate jus look at their history in this stages. Honduras should go south africa look at their players they got now they can do it. 'la pantera' suazo, 'lobo' guevara, 'muma' bernardez, 'mago' palacios, 'peri' martinez, 'el doctor' thomas, 'mosky' alvarez !! love them nicknames ahaha vamos honduras al mundial
Posted by letsplayball, England on 27/11/2008 at 18:49

Honduras will be out of the running in the first 4 games.
Posted by Endothermic1, Korea Republic on 27/11/2008 at 16:49
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>