April 27, 2024, 12:59:33 AM

Author Topic: Maturana names 20-man squad for Digicel Championships.  (Read 13343 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana names 20-man squad for Digicel Championships.
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2008, 04:57:49 PM »
All the best to the team ... however ... if i was a betting man ... my 2cents on JA for this one!

Thats a for real statement,I would agree....however

I know my Warriors will step up and measure this one out correctly,man playing for spots in the Hex and beyond,so this the last is the last tournament to impress the coaching staff and make some of us arm chair coaches eat our words and have more to talk about but then again that will come if we get over the mountain top or not....seen........ :beermug:

What is your rational for putting your 2cents on them?????

I would like to know myself........besides home advantage that jamaican team have nothing on us...there squad is mostly local just like ours

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »
I tired scratching mih head over Maturana's selections...I just going to enjoy the ride...

GO WARRIORS!!!     

JA hold dis....
 :flamethrower: :flamethrower: :flamethrower:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »
Because of the recent success in the WCQ, it very possible that Mat will go wit the same team structure for the Digicel...

Dwarika playing just behind the striker a la Latapy,(ah believe his unanticipated recall to national colors is to help Latas carry the load) four across the middle, four in the back.. it makes sense to me. The big picture is obviously the WC, and this will be a chance for a few to play themselves into the WQ squad.. so is kinda like 4-4.5-1.5 lol

« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:29:50 PM by College »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2008, 06:08:27 PM »
Yeah a pick up on that Latapy/Dawrika continuity from the Lincoln Philips interview. However I observed Dawrika in the Champs League. In the earlies he showed some good midfield general bossing--through passes etc. But his stamana became depleted as the contest prolonged. . .Hope it works.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »
nice squad...but forbes shouldda get ah run though...

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2008, 06:44:51 PM »
Spalk interview with Maturana
i only get piece of the interview but is still something, video a little out of sync with audio

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xp6s_EKUiMk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xp6s_EKUiMk</a>
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 07:01:32 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2008, 06:57:58 PM »
Thanks Die Hard.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »
Spalk interview with Maturana
i only get piece of the interview but is still something, video a little out of sync with audio

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xp6s_EKUiMk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xp6s_EKUiMk</a>
Did you do that with WMR11 :D

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »
yes i did, my first experiment lol.  ::)
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 09:28:35 PM »
So lemme see if I gettin dis correck.

We play 4-5-1 in de friendly games before de WCQ's

We play 4-5-1 throughout de WCQ's.  Depending on de game situation, we switch to 4-4-2 in de 2nd half of some games

We play 4-5-1 in de Digicel Cup

So we playin in de Digicel Cup Finals and we should NOW play a different formation

Yet dese is de same peeps accusin Maturana of lack of consistency.

Yuh tink de reason we might be playin dis formation is possibly because of whether is de WCQ's or de Digicel Cup, is de T&T Senior Men's National Team playin and whoever playin will be familiar wit de formations and strategy's (Touches does call it cobo brand) ?   Is not like we doh ever change to a different formation as de need arises.

But me eh know...I jes takin a wile guess.

I say 4-4-2 becuase that type of formation suits us best. Our style of play and temperament is better suited to the 4-4-2 type formation. Right now we may get away with the 4-5-1, because  we have Jones and Stern (saw how effect Stern was for the WC), but future wise our forwards most likely will require a 4-4-2 type formation.

The 4-4-2 allow us greater flexibility in transitioning to the attck more smoothly than the current 4-5-1. Jones has not mastered the different types of runs to enable us to get him the ball quick enough to allow the mid and defense to push on. Stern is slowing down and does not put out the required work effort consistently to cause problems for the defenders. Our mids are not up to par in supporting the 2nd ball after the forward pass. A lot of work have to be done in getting the mids to join the forwards in keeping the ball higher up the field if we are to GENERATE any MEANINGFUL attack.

As it stands in the 4-5-1 we attempt to play square to quickly after winning the ball. This maybe a result of the defenders not comfortable with the ball at their feet. In the 4-5-1, and how we play it, the first pass should be a forward pass behind the opposition first line of defense closest to us. This would be difficult for us cause on defense we do not hold proper lines. The lone forward would have to fight for the ball in a 1v3 situation. In the 4-4-2, if one of the opposition fullback had pushed on, when we win the ball, it will automatically put our fwds in a 2v3 situation which is very good odds.

Now if we are in the 4-4-2, even if we don't hold defensive lines when we win the ball, one of the forwards could drop quickly to receive that first forward pass maintaining possession, and allowing us to find shape. The 2nd forward can hold high giving us depth and room to possess the ball in an effort to mount an attack. Now all we need is for one of the wide mids to break forward.

I believe that our players are wired for this type of system of play. I do understand that right now is not the best time for the WC squad to experiment with systems, but the Digicel or the U-20 and 17s should start being prepped in this manner. The role, function and responsibility must be taught to the player from the youth teams so that it will carry over to the senior squad. This is why an Academy is important.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:33:36 PM by elan »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2008, 12:00:21 AM »
I say 4-4-2 becuase that type of formation suits us best. Our style of play and temperament is better suited to the 4-4-2 type formation.

What's your theory regarding why we play 5 men in midfield?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maturana names 20-man squad for DCC Finals
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »
what about Trent Noel? he might be pro league MVP
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2008, 08:41:40 AM »
Our style of play and temperament is better suited to the 4-4-2 type formation.
4-4-2 might be better suited to the temperaments of spectators, but our team's temperament as a defensive unit suggests 4-5-1 is best suited for them.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:44:23 AM by Monkey Genius »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2008, 11:06:16 AM »
4 4 2 is 4 Digi cup 4 5 1 is 4 WCQ that is what I have observed.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »
For dem people who dont know...Errol MC Farlane is a very powerful striker in the air - reminding me of Kenwyn Jones, the only difference is that he is physically bigger than Jones.  As long as the crosses coming in nice, he will be a force to reckon with.  Also, I doh see how Autis could be a fixture on dat side still.  I doh see no man who living in Trinidad, recovering from dat kinda nerve injury so quickly and back on de national team, and maybe as a starter too.....wha de hell, he is Beckam?...steuppes....De man make he come back and tootoo dong de place.  Yuh remember when he went Asia wha dey say bout him?    Anyway, I find is time to give Theobald ah recall.  De man had a very good digicel cup and gold cup stint last time around.  Ah matter ah fact, bring back Bleedah and Hardest, and put Julius right behind them, and have Kenyeno Thomas covering.....And surely we goh mash up de tournament

Ah was staying quiet but you had to go and say de T word.  No No No hell no.  Theobald name and national team should never be mentioned in de same sentence again.  Yuh didn't know better this time so ah go excuse yuh.  I will play ah one foot whitley over ah two foot Theobald anyday.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2008, 11:57:19 AM »
I say 4-4-2 becuase that type of formation suits us best. Our style of play and temperament is better suited to the 4-4-2 type formation.

I think we play 4-5-1 to try to cover our defensive weakness.  Beenie played the same system to start games and adjusted as the in game situation warranted.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »

For me with Maturana, is to provide additional coverage for the mediocre defense we have. However the 5 mids don't work for Maturana. Also if you read what I type, I said I understood why for now, but I was refering to long term.

Why do you think it's better to go with 4-5-1 instead of 4-4-2?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2008, 12:08:34 PM »
Our style of play and temperament is better suited to the 4-4-2 type formation.
4-4-2 might be better suited to the temperaments of spectators, but our team's temperament as a defensive unit suggests 4-5-1 is best suited for them.

The 4-5-1 could be used to entertain the crowd just as much (look at Scolari with Chelsea), but it takes a lot of discipline and coaching. Our players like the ball at their feet and does not play off the ball effectively enough. The 4-5-1 requires a discipline that we don't naturally have.

And no we are not a defensive unit.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2008, 01:43:44 PM »

Because first and foremost we're in the results business.

Our defence is the weakest aspect of our game

We're not that powerful an offense where we can outscore our opponents consistently enough to overcome and make up for defensive mistakes

Therefore, in order to minimize our defensive frailties, we shore up the midfield to assist our defence trusting in the fact that we have enough firepower and experience to score and not lose the game.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2008, 03:25:08 PM »

We're not that powerful an offense where we can outscore our opponents consistently enough to overcome and make up for defensive mistakes

Therefore, in order to minimize our defensive frailties, we shore up the midfield to assist our defence trusting in the fact that we have enough firepower and experience to score and not lose the game.

How are you going to get those results when you come up against a team who pushes numbers forward consistently? Think Cuba first 35 minutes pushing on everyone, think USA away. If I am coaching against T&t I most like ly will play a 4-3-3 or 3-1-4-2 from looking at their previousgames. If I want to go safe i will play a 4-4-2.

Now regarding our 4--5-1, it is meant to be defensive cover but how we have played so far provided no real cover. we normally look like this during the game;

S/J

L

D                      Y                      E

B             

E               T               L                 G

I

If we want to maintain a defensive cover then we need to maintain the shape in the middle (triangle)

J

L
                     D                                                                    E

Y             B

E                                          G
                                                  T        L                 

See with Leo, we could have force opponents wide and have some good confidence in winning the cross ball cause we had to very good aerial battlers (Sancho and Lawrence) in the team.

Offline tsingh

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2008, 04:32:15 PM »
Rational for my bet ... no disrespect to any readers out there ...

It's just my personal feeling ... the tournament in JA, they have a point to prove, i think we (as trini footballers) don't play with enough heart (except Birchall), i just don't feel that our guys will take this seriously, JA vs TNT does always be a rough and tumble games ... anyone could win on any given day.

But like i said ... my 2 cents on JA for this tournament.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2008, 04:54:05 PM »

How come nobody didn't question Leo when he was playing the same 5 man midfield and one striker ? ...I'll tell you why because he achieved results ...I doh know why peeps trying to outcoach Maturana from day 1 so ...like he eh getting results ?
Some folks go still criticise Maturana if we make it to South africa again but not one ah dem ever put a better  alternative.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »

How come nobody didn't question Leo when he was playing the same 5 man midfield and one striker ? ...I'll tell you why because he achieved results ...I doh know why peeps trying to outcoach Maturana from day 1 so ...like he eh getting results ?
Some folks go still criticise Maturana if we make it to South africa again but not one ah dem ever put a better  alternative.

You askin a big question dey.

1 - Leo was a no nonsense kinda fella wit a big international reputation (even doh some peeps on here say dem did never hear bout he before)

2 - Don Leo was an infinitely better communicator with the media than Maturana.   Maturana doesn't seem to be a media type coach whereas Don Leo was extremely aware of the importance of interacting with the media and supporters....not in a cheerleader Rene Simoes type of way, but in a very practical manner that while firm in it's execution, was not without it's charm.  By far the best "MANAGER" to ever grace T&T shores and possibly the Caribbean.  He commanded respect and got it in return from practically eveyone that mattered.

3 - Maturana by contrast may come across as somewhat of a country bookie.  Not necessarily worldly in the terms of English speaking interaction, but in a sense, I believe it works to our advantage that we have Maturana as coach when 4 of the 5 teams we will face in the Hex are Spanish speaking countries.  He knows them all well.  He knows their language, he knows their coaches and their tactics.  Don Leo again is different because he was fluent in several languages....spanish among them.

So I think MAINLY...Maturana's lack of communication and sometimes confusing selections to the layman are the reasons for the harsh criticism he gets here.

In reality.....Bertille St Clair never communicated any more with the T&T media or sporting public than Maturana.  In fact, to the best of my knowledge Maturana never said "I'm from Colombia and allyuh doh like meh".  But he was hardly questioned on his selections.  He was mostly criticised on his tactics or lack thereof.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:26:23 PM by palos »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »

3 - Maturana by contrast may come across as somewhat of a country bookie.  Not necessarily worldly in the terms of English speaking interaction, but in a sense, I believe it works to our advantage that we have Maturana as coach when 4 of the 5 teams we will face in the Hex are Spanish speaking countries.  He knows them all well.  He knows their language, he knows their coaches and their tactics.  Don Leo again is different because he was fluent in several languages....spanish among them.

eh?!

what does knowing the spanish language have to do with knowing their coaches and their tactics?

The man was coaching in South America. You and I probably know more about the likes of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras prior to the man coming here. Or are you suggesting that all latin countries on this continent play the same brand?

yuh loss meh with dat one.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2008, 05:41:10 PM »

eh?!

what does knowing the spanish language have to do with knowing their coaches and their tactics?

The man was coaching in South America. You and I probably know more about the likes of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras prior to the man coming here. Or are you suggesting that all latin countries on this continent play the same brand?

Well Maturana did have a stint with Costa Rica... just adding that to discussion... I seeing your point
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2008, 06:03:27 PM »

eh?!

Maturana coached mainly in South America but he knows the teams and coaches in Central America very well.  He's more familiar with those teams than say Jamaica or Canada for example.  His natural spanish speaking is a positive point for us because he knows the culture and more importantly the footballing culture which can prove to be an asset in preparation.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2008, 06:11:45 PM »
Hey, thanks Palos for letting me back in ;D
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2008, 06:52:45 PM »
What is your rational for putting your 2cents on them??

PRESSURE............. :devil:

The Yard man coming into this tournament,missing the next round of the Hex,they have a new coach who they will have to impress plus they playing at home
yes I am backing my team,there are some realities wether we like to or not,yea we win a few games,games that could have easily gone the other way,we have a problem of waiting to get to the second gear..... ???

Who wants it more will win

Go...Warriors...... :beermug:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2008, 06:57:13 PM »
I really think half of what dey say Maturana say he eh say ! Look how dey changing interpreters ! I sure mats went home one day wid de few words he remember check he websters den realise dat he eh say what dey say  he say ! .....
I wonder how fellas like Tallest and dem make it yes ...yuh ever hear ah welshman talk english ...even jones up in sunderland...but seriously why men so stuck up on mats and de english .....if dat was de case none ah we players could go overseas !
Just think if clubs were to put ah TOEFL clause on all overseas players ..allyuh tink we players could pass dat !

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »

eh?!

Maturana coached mainly in South America but he knows the teams and coaches in Central America very well.  He's more familiar with those teams than say Jamaica or Canada for example.  His natural spanish speaking is a positive point for us because he knows the culture and more importantly the footballing culture which can prove to be an asset in preparation.

Palos ah read that wha yuh type there and yuh sound like ah insurance salesman trying to sell ah bargain.

Again... How do you know that Maturana knows the teams and coaches in Central America very well?  Also, what does the fact that he speaks Spanish have to do with an appreciation for the culture in Central America?  Why do you assume that the culture/footballing culture in Central America is synonymous with South America?

1]; } ?>