April 27, 2024, 01:52:17 PM

Author Topic: The secret to Warriors’ World Cup success  (Read 921 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The secret to Warriors’ World Cup success
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
The secret to Warriors’ World Cup success
By Hannibal Najjar (T&T Guardian)

Given what was seen of the game via the Internet, and following reports and reviews from all sources including Alvin Corneal and Dwight Yorke, I believe that there is no need to be get all frantic about the next nine games based on the result of the last World Cup qualifier. After all, it wasn’t a travesty that we came away with one point from our first game, which is a great result when playing away at this penultimate qualification stage. The travesty is that we blew a beautiful and unusual unlike-T&T early start to any encounter, whether at home or away.

Everyone is asking why did Stern John, and not Dwight Yorke, take that second penalty? Truly, a conversion at that point would have been the antidote to any Salvadorian comeback bid. That 3-0 lead would have truly been monumental to overcome even against a T&T side that tends to take their eyes off of the finish line. In other words, we still have to learn to play the full 90-plus minutes without looking back at what we have done, and at the size of the lead or deficit. To the question of whether Dwight should have taken that second penalty, let me say, I am not as interested in who took that penalty as much as I am about what discussions transpired between the deciding parties that led to the decision.

Was the staff instrumental in this decision? Was it between Dwight and Stern? What was said, and who said what? Did the bench staff authorise it?
My problem is related to what transpired between parties. Were we cavalier in the approach to this “sealant” of a penalty? Did both Dwight and Stern, along with any emissions from the bench, suggest that the penalty spelt a sure goal? This is where my concern would lie; not with John taking the kick. John is one of the best at this that I have ever seen. He is normally exceptional at any short distance accuracy test.

Why he abandoned his usual low placement style, to aim for the top corner is now his rehearsal debacle. We are still very set to obtain the desired points, however, and with them, a qualification bid. We did blow a monumental two points, but as Yorke urged, the journey has only just begun. I concur with Yorke, and we do have one of three away points, and a total of 27 points (fifteen at home, and twelve away) still waiting to be pinned. Thirteen would again give that team a fourth place and with it, a shot at either Uruguay or Ecuador, even maybe, Columbia.

Critical Issues

The most telling two things that we have to discuss and work on are, what transpired in those discussions prior to the kick and how we are going to approach the synthesising of the minds of the players and entire team, staff and all, so that we stay focused on each individual component, in their moment of truth. This is my contribution to the men that are setting their sights and marks on “that thing” out there—World Cup 2010. Let us use a kind of backward design as we approach this pursuit. View the “tape”, that victor’s line, from just where we stand, and then journey back to where we are.

The key is to assess and continuously assess what it would take to accomplish all that is needed to attain each new set goal. Assessment, performance, reassessment, performance, and so on, is the methodological and pedagogical mediums that I would highly recommend. This gives perspective and this will compliment any and all efforts. Set everybody down and assess what they know and understand about, visualisation, simulation, mental rehearsal, concentration, and goal-setting and so on. The old adage, “measure twice and cut once”, is the best advice that I could give. Another injection for thought could be: put your mind into gear before you start your feet, mouth, or anything. Give thought to all things.

Dwight’s Absence

Our huge challenge is dealing with the absence of Dwight, Chris, and Clayton, in that order for our next game against a stalwart and dangerous Honduras. That is the challenge for the coaches and chosen players. Dwight has brought a sense of very effective playmaking, timely inclusiveness and perfect ball-releases, whether from a more seemingly dormant, or moving and dynamic stature. For the better part of four or five years, he has postured himself with greater amounts of upper-level thinking and immense tactical awareness. I first noticed this transition when he was in Australia. Birchall’s work ethic and precision of defensive entries and persistent and plenty real estate coverage, will be sorely missed.

As for Ince, he is the best we have, but the gap between him and the next is narrowing and less telling. It saddens me that Dwight allowed the game to get the better of him. Not only for the sake of his own personal game, but because of the positive impact and empowerment that he brings to the rest of the team when he holds his composure. What was he red-carded for? My guess, from what I can decipher, was that he may have been too aggressive and wordy with the referee after the game. I witnessed his frustrations during the game.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The secret to Warriors’ World Cup success
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:53 PM »
good article
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:27 PM »

Is it just me ,or does one get the feeling that these gurus speaking to us on this site ?And where he get that link for the game  :devil:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:36:51 PM »
Is it just me ,or does one get the feeling that these gurus speaking to us on this site ?And where he get that link for the game  :devil:

U self u 4get how popular we are. Uncle Alvin strt it when he talk bout d bitter fans. Is we d bitter as gall posse.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:41:54 AM by Tallman »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:50:06 AM »
Yuh know every tom dick and harry came on the media talking bout the game and what we should/not have done, but not one solitary guru had anything to say bout this mad clueless coach! what a waste of paper.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>