March 28, 2024, 11:05:54 AM

Author Topic: Chicago Storm signs Randi Patterson  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chicago Storm signs Randi Patterson
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:00:39 PM »
Chicago Storm signs Randi Patterson
chicagostorm.net

The Chicago Storm professional indoor soccer team announces the signing of forward Randi Patterson, 23, for the organization’s 2008-2009 Xtreme Soccer League season. Per team policy, terms of the player agreement are not disclosed.

Patterson, a Hackensack, N.J., native, was selected by Red Bull New York in the first round of the 2007 Major League Soccer Supplemental Draft. He spent this past summer with the Charleston Battery of the United Soccer Leagues First Division alongside the Storm’s Stephen Armstrong and Lazo Alavanja, leading the Battery with 10 goals and 21 points. And the American-born, Trinidadian soccer player has participated with the Trinidad and Tobago National Team.

“I think Randi is a quality young player, and I’m excited to see how he adapts to indoor,” Storm head coach Steve Morris said. “He seems to have the skill set, and he adds some pace to the team. He’s a goal scorer, obviously, leading the Charleston Battery this summer. He’s represented Trinidad at the national team level. He’s got pace, quickness, and he’s willing to mix it up in the corners. He’s got a knack around the goal.”

Patterson scored 61 goals and added 19 assists in his collegiate career with the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, where he was a two-time Southern Conference Player of the Year and National Soccer Coaches Association of American All-American selection. Patterson enters the 2008-2009 XSL season as the second-youngest player on the Storm, seven months older than Storm defender Gabriel Cigliano.

“As a whole, I think indoor has badly needed some fresh new talent,” Morris said. “You’re seeing newer, fresher faces, and it’s time to see what some of these young players have. When you put that together with a solid base of veterans, it’s a nice blend.”

The following is the Chicago Storm’s 15-man roster heading into 2008-2009: Lazo Alavanja, D; Stephen Armstrong, M/F; Ian Bennett, M/F; Chris Brisson, D; Chris Cerroni, F; Gabriel Cigliano, D; Fabinho, D; Will Kletzien, D; Vladimir Knezevic, D; Awadalla Morad, F; Randi Patterson, F; Jeff Richey, GK; Andy Rosenband, M; Branko Savic, D; Zlatko Zebic, F

The Chicago Storm organization enters its fifth season of professional indoor soccer. Chicago’s 2008-2009 Xtreme Soccer League season kicks off with a road game at New Jersey on Sunday, Dec. 14, and the Storm’s home opener takes place at 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 20, against Milwaukee at the Sears Centre Arena. Storm offices are located at 5333 Prairie Stone Pkwy., in Hoffman Estates. For more information on all aspects of Storm soccer, including season tickets, group outings, birthday parties and more, call 1-866-STORM-81 (1-866-786-7681), or visit www.ChicagoStorm.net.

Founded this summer by the Chicago Storm, Detroit Ignition, Milwaukee Wave and New Jersey Ironmen, the Xtreme Soccer League is more than an indoor soccer league. The Xtreme Soccer Xperience is an energetic and innovative 12-month sports lifestyle brand built around skilled soccer professionals, entertainment and fan participation – both live and online. For more information, visit www.XtremeSL.net.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:02:17 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago Storm signs Randi Patterson
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:05:12 PM »
I hope this is just ah off-season conditioning kinda move... otherwise this is a huge professional step backwards.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:06:17 PM »
I hope this is just ah off-season conditioning kinda move... otherwise this is a huge professional step backwards.

A lot of de USL ballers does play Indoor football during de off-season.

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »
Bakes yuh doh know what yuh talking bout dey. It is definitely not a step forward, but for quite a few years the salaries of above average indoor players were consistently higher than their outdoor counterparts. That included de MLS until a few years ago. Lots of players took the money indoor if dey didnt think playing in de MLS woulda lead to better opportunities elsewhere. If he has no big chance to go overseas, this is not a bad gig. De top man for de NJ team just signed a 1 yr contract for over a hundred grand believe it or not.
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:20:40 PM »
Bakes yuh doh know what yuh talking bout dey. It is definitely not a step forward, but for quite a few years the salaries of above average indoor players were consistently higher than their outdoor counterparts. That included de MLS until a few years ago. Lots of players took the money indoor if dey didnt think playing in de MLS woulda lead to better opportunities elsewhere. If he has no big chance to go overseas, this is not a bad gig. De top man for de NJ team just signed a 1 yr contract for over a hundred grand believe it or not.

Yeah but Randi is only 23. He was his USL club's top scorer and already has tasted international football. Hopefully he believes he has a few years to try and forge a successful club and international career before feeling indoor is his best option to make a decent living. I too hope this is temporary - a way to keep fit and to earn some extra money. If it isn't..all de best to the youth anyway.

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 04:08:08 PM »

Bakes yuh doh know what yuh talking bout dey. It is definitely not a step forward,

Fantastic you don't seem to understand what Bakes wrote do you ?? Put money aside, Professional Career wise how is this not a huge step backwards if this is permanent ? He went from beinging selected by Red Bulls - to USL team - to playing for a indoor team now. Looks like a backwards step to me or maybe i missing something. He's still young so if he's just playing ball for the money fine but if he intend to make this he living/career, how is this a positive move ? How will he make the national team again playing Indoor football ?
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 05:11:07 PM »
A lot of de USL ballers does play Indoor football during de off-season.

Thanks... that helps put the move in perspective.

Bakes yuh doh know what yuh talking bout dey. It is definitely not a step forward,

Fantastic you don't seem to understand what Bakes wrote do you ?? Put money aside, Professional Career wise how is this not a huge step backwards if this is permanent ? He went from beinging selected by Red Bulls - to USL team - to playing for a indoor team now. Looks like a backwards step to me or maybe i missing something. He's still young so if he's just playing ball for the money fine but if he intend to make this he living/career, how is this a positive move ? How will he make the national team again playing Indoor football ?

Yeah, I dunno what scenes Fantastic on... I never play one day ah professional ball so in dat regard I doh know nutten about what he experiencing right now, and possibly I have no idea what ah talking about.  That said, as you implied I doh see Mats calling up ah man playing glorified fusball to play for a national team.  I also doh see ah European club... or ah MLS club for that matter giving him a serious look neither.

As Filho say, if is just conditioning or a money grab then it makes much sense... but if he looking at progressing up the ranks yuh doh do that by stepping down the competitive rung.  In the end if it is as Tallman suggest it might be, then all this talk is moot.  To echo Filho again... wish him luck regardless  :beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 12:48:14 AM »

Offline BALL FATHER

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 07:34:42 AM »
Poor strategic move on a world cup qualifying year. He should be addressing the national coaches with a Pro league team and the local media present.Indoor soccer is very demanding when coming from a hard outdoor season.Mr Patterson has to much potential to be wasting it on indoor soccer.Quick money should not be a factor at this time of his career (23yrs). Use Joel Bailey as an example, plenty potential won both A-League and Indoor soccer league Championships but where is he today! At 28yrs he has to stop playing because of complications with his back, he did back surgery and the cause of his problems was the playing surfaces in the these arenas do real long term damage and stress to your body.This is a bad move maybe not in the monetary sense but long term. The modern day soccer play should always weigh his options and have good advisers and agents.Randi needs good advice!

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 09:34:04 AM »
Before we start all this fussing and nitpicking, let mih say again................most good US college players get drafted and have tryouts with MLS, A-League, Indoor teams. He got a look with MLS, wasn't selected, he did well on an A-league team,he doesn't seem to be in serious contention right now for national caps, does this stand out as a great resume and foreign teams fighting to sign him? In my opinion it doesn't. He is a good player and should have a decent future if he runs into the right opportunities. My only point in responding to Bakes is that regardless of potential, his career is nowhere right now that playing indoor( which I agree should be temporary cause it doesn't do anything for long term outdoor opportunities) for a few months at what I'm sure is about $4000 grand US a month could be considered a step backwards. That's my scenes Red devils.
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 10:45:38 AM »

Boney?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 10:59:11 AM »
... My only point in responding to Bakes is that regardless of potential, his career is nowhere right now that playing indoor( which I agree should be temporary cause it doesn't do anything for long term outdoor opportunities) for a few months at what I'm sure is about $4000 grand US a month could be considered a step backwards. That's my scenes Red devils.

He's part of the national pool of players (whether active or inactive)... he was top scorer for one of the top USL teams.  Even if he wanted to leave the Battery I'm sure he could find work elsewhere in the USL.  In the least his career would remain on the same level.

No one EVER said playing indoor for a few months would be a step backwards... once again I must fault the quality of our public school education for turning out graduates (presumably) who lack basic reading comprehension.  My point was that if this was a career move then this was a backwards move.  If it was just temporary (off-season conditioning) then it's not a bad thing.

You "fuss and nitpick" at my statement, latching onto the first scenario to tell me that I don't know what I talking about... then turn around and re-state the very point that I made, facetiously presenting it as your own.

Brilliant.

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:22:56 PM »
Ok Mr. Bake and Shark, nuff respect. Ah not into de online bravado business so yuh could see it as you wish. Not feeling pressed to offer any credentials to you either as some other forumites might. While USL is obviously outdoor, what makes you think it is a step above indoor in the US? I'm willing to bet you never played in either and probably haven't worked as front office or as an agent. Yet. you Mr. Bake and Shark, de man with all de lil boy lyrics and sophisticated twang could judge bad move and good move. There are a million other factors involved in Patterson signing with this team, but you with yuh loud and mostly negative mouth want to bless de man with " if it isn't an off-season conditioning move it is a huge professional step backwards ". Yuh seem to be an educated fella, but yuh rush to get hostile so soon and show such a thirst to pretend yuh know everything that ah not sure bout that.
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:24 PM »
Ok Mr. Bake and Shark, nuff respect. Ah not into de online bravado business so yuh could see it as you wish. Not feeling pressed to offer any credentials to you either as some other forumites might. While USL is obviously outdoor, what makes you think it is a step above indoor in the US? I'm willing to bet you never played in either and probably haven't worked as front office or as an agent. Yet. you Mr. Bake and Shark, de man with all de lil boy lyrics and sophisticated twang could judge bad move and good move. There are a million other factors involved in Patterson signing with this team, but you with yuh loud and mostly negative mouth want to bless de man with " if it isn't an off-season conditioning move it is a huge professional step backwards ". Yuh seem to be an educated fella, but yuh rush to get hostile so soon and show such a thirst to pretend yuh know everything that ah not sure bout that.

Dred you sound like you have some kinda axe to grind... which man like me does only laugh at, yuh need to check whatever insecurity you have at the door and let whatever intelligence yuh have shine thru instead.  All this talk yuh throwing about "lil boy lyrics" and "loud and mostly negative mouth" and "rush to get hostile" etc... none ah dat neither moves nor fazes me, much better than you have tried and fail so keep that shit fuh fellas down on your evolutionary level rather than come at me with that shit.

Now as fuh de substantive part of your post... I find it funny that you claim you don't feel pressed to offer credentials, yet you question mine, lol.  No matter, I have no problem stating that no I never kick ah professional ball in my life nor have I ever worked in a professional capacity within the sport.

Not that one needs to have done either of that to know that there's a big difference between the outdoor game and the indoor game.  That's akin to thinking that small goal success readily transfers into success on the pitch... if that's your argument then by all means be my guest.  At least I'm willing to offer some kind of rationale for my opinion, you on the other hand have offered none.  I don't know how many indoor players have gone on to successful 'outdoor' careers... but I'm willing to bet that it is SIGNIFICANTLY less than the number of outdoor players who later become successful in better outdoor leagues.

You claim yuh not in de "online bravado business" yet you's de man who attacked my opinion and when I defended that opinion you resort to trying to make personal attacks on my character... all the while pretending to claim the high road.... allyuh hypocrites is the greatest yes.  The worst part is that I'm sure yuh convince yuhself that yuh was being sincere.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 03:19:04 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 03:38:25 PM »
Omar, is not big stink Boney get that contract nah. Is a Brazilian youth name Aduato Neto. Not sure why is that much because it is substantially higher than the other top players in the league. For the other people that I already said i not arguing with or doh have no beef with, I will just mention that David Nakhid and Shaka Hislop also had stints in indoor and both got their outdoor opportunities after being noticed playing with their indoor teams in exhibitions abroad. When yuh make hints about people intelligence levels or education and reading skills ah doh feel yuh should get touchy for some picong about yuh spoil child win at all costs,gangsta intellectual rhetoric. Once again, I could take mih talk and smile, could u Mr. BS?
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Patterson moves to New Jersey Ironmen
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 07:15:10 AM »
Storm, Ironmen Swap Young Forwards
oursportscentral.com

January 31, 2009

In a swap of young forwards, the New Jersey Ironmen today completed a trade that sent Frederico Moojen to the Chicago Storm for Randi Patterson.

Moojen, 25, is available to play for the Storm (2-5) on Sunday when they travel to the Milwaukee Wave (5-3) for a 1 p.m. CST kickoff. He was last season's Rookie of the Year in the Major Indoor Soccer League after compiling 52 points (1 3PG, 21 2PG, 7 A) for the Ironmen. Slowed this season by a toe injury, Moojen had nine points (4 2PG, 1 A) for New Jersey (3-5).

"Let me take this opportunity and thank Freddy for everything he has done for our team over the past two seasons," said Ironmen coach Omid Namazi. "He is a very good professional, and this trade is not indicative of what type of player that he is. We just felt that we had too many targets and needed to create a better mix of midfielders and targets on our roster."

Patterson, 23, had two assists in seven appearances with Chicago. He played this summer for the Charleston Battery of USL-1 and led the team with 10 goals and 21 points. In college at UNC-Greensboro, Patterson had 61 goals and 19 assists in four years and was two-time Southern Conference Player of the Year.

"Randi is a player we have had our eyes on for quite some time," Namazi said. "He brings a tremendous amount of speed to our transition game, and that is an area I feel we needed to improve in. The fact that he is a New Jersey native is a big plus, as it's always good to add some local flavor to our roster, and in turn see better support from our community."

"We're excited with the acquisition, Moojen being the 2007-08 Rookie of the Year," said Storm Head Coach Steve Morris. "He is a solid target player who plays extremely well with his back to the goal. We thank Randi Patterson for his time in Chicago, he is a quality young man and a strong overall player. My only hope is that he doesn't use it against us now when we face New Jersey."

Founded this summer by the Milwaukee Wave, Detroit Ignition, New Jersey Ironmen and Chicago Storm, the Xtreme Soccer League is more than an indoor soccer league. The Xtreme Soccer Xperience is an energetic and innovative 12-month sports lifestyle brand built around skilled soccer professionals, entertainment and fan participation - both live and online. For more information, visit XtremeSL.net.

1]; } ?>