March 29, 2024, 06:57:18 AM

Author Topic: Shahdon Winchester Thread  (Read 45058 times)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Winchester off to trial in Europe.
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2013, 09:13:55 AM »
Hmmmmm and imagine he is considered one of our brighter young prospects. We need to get serious with development.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:32 PM »
Over the last four years, Winchester has had the following trials:
March 2012: FK Haugesund (Norway)
June/July 2011: FC Dallas (USA)
February 2011: Colorado Rapids (USA)
October 2010: PFC Sevastopol (Ukraine)
August 2010: Celtic (Scotland)
February 2009: Sporting Braga (Portugal)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »
 ... that paints a serious picture. Hmmm. Seeing the world one trial at a time.

Has anyone been accompanying him on his travels?

AirMan

« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2013, 03:06:09 PM »
I hope he received feedback as to why his prior trials were unsuccessful. The biological clock is ticking. Ah doh want to say it's now or never, but ... as far as Europe goes, there is a sell-by date.

Ding! Ding! Players have to make the best of opportunities

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »
Hmmmmm and imagine he is considered one of our brighter young prospects. We need to get serious with development.

Not for me, he is not one of our better young players, he decent, maybe one of the top 20 in Trinidad but not one of the best.

He is a lazy player.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2013, 03:15:40 PM »

Not for me, he is not one of our better young players, he decent, maybe one of the top 20 in Trinidad but not one of the best.

He is a lazy player.

What's the difference?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:09 PM »

He was accompanied to Portugal by his mother and Leonson Lewis, and in the USA and Ukraine he went with other players.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
I would like to see him in the Jupiter League or Swedish 2nd division. Not feeling Finland.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »

He was accompanied to Portugal by his mother and Leonson Lewis, and in the USA and Ukraine he went with other players.

So the answer lies elsewhere.

I'll say this though, we flash abroad do trials then flash home. African players not on that! Once in Europe, always in Europe. Dem men staying till de fat lady hoarse.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
No question the youth is good with the ball at his feet and is intelligent with his movement. He is not 'lazy'. But from what little I have seen he lacks that hard driving, almost maniacal sense of urgency that could tip him over the edge. For the most part Coaches in TT don't seem to be able to recognize the advantages of that, far less nurture it. Some do for sure, but as discussed in another thread its willpower and drive under adverse condtions that is the downfall of many of our players. That is part of what eventually makes the difference between an Autis Whitley and a Khaleem Hyland. And that is a coaching problem.

So the answer lies elsewhere.

I'll say this though, we flash abroad do trials then flash home. African players not on that! Once in Europe, always in Europe. Dem men staying till de fat lady hoarse.

So what is the difference between what our players do and what Africans do? Multiple trials, easier work permit situations, go abroad younger?
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
btw, good luck to you. hope you can make the transition to europe. if not, nutten wrong with vietnam either

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »

We have to be patient, i know i probably rate Winchester better than others but remember hes still young. I remember Winchester had a good trial at Celtic and there were generally positive comments about his time there. He has probably the best first touch of any of our U-23 players.
Remember 2 yrs ago Peltier was a player who failed on trials at Houston, Zulte & Stabæk. He like Winchester was a touted youth player who had not reached his potential. He was going to a 2nd division team in Slovakia, now hes arguably our most inform player.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »
Well, aside from having a wider network (formal and informal), they just &$@}&$ relentless! Plus, nothing to lose? I'll never forget a Nigerian telling me about "sleeping" in a tree at night to evade detection in Morocco. (These days he somewhere near your gates coaching youth soccer).

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2013, 04:37:53 PM »

We have to be patient, i know i probably rate Winchester better than others but remember hes still young. I remember Winchester had a good trial at Celtic and there were generally positive comments about his time there. He has probably the best first touch of any of our U-23 players.
Remember 2 yrs ago Peltier was a player who failed on trials at Houston, Zulte & Stabæk. He like Winchester was a touted youth player who had not reached his potential. He was going to a 2nd division team in Slovakia, now hes arguably our most inform player.

Actually, Peltier did not fail, he did not agree terms...

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »
Well, aside from having a wider network (formal and informal), they just &$@}&$ relentless! Plus, nothing to lose? I'll never forget a Nigerian telling me about "sleeping" in a tree at night to evade detection in Morocco. (These days he somewhere near your gates coaching youth soccer).

So you advocating our players sleep in trees now?

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
Youre right Flex i do remember reading somewhere that he couldnt agree to terms with Houston. However im not sure what the circumstances were with Birmingham,Zulte etc.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 16, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »

Do what need to be done... depending on how thusty yuh is...

dem Africans thusty... as said before dey have nothing to lose or sometimes fall back on... Trinis could still come home and throw waist in a fete
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 16, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
or drink a rum at Nari's
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 16, 2013, 05:40:33 PM »
That is what it boils down to. Hunger and desire. Africans running away from civil war and poverty. There is nothing else for them to do but make it. Do or Dead...!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 16, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
We running from poverty too ... but sufferer to sufferer, soldier to soldier, we comfortable in it, ent? Oftentimes cause Trinis don't label it fuh what it is. Poverty.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #170 on: January 16, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »
Youre right Flex i do remember reading somewhere that he couldnt agree to terms with Houston. However im not sure what the circumstances were with Birmingham,Zulte etc.

Read question number 7

Peltier: My greatest desire is to represent T&T at a World Cup

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 16, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »

Read question number 7

Peltier: My greatest desire is to represent T&T at a World Cup

Thanks boss

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »

Do what need to be done... depending on how thusty yuh is...

dem Africans thusty... as said before dey have nothing to lose or sometimes fall back on... Trinis could still come home and throw waist in a fete

i just throwing 'ol talk at asylumseeker. reality is we far from real deprivation. but that is an advantage, not a setback. our coaches and administrators have had the all means neccessary to instill players with the willpower and discipline to prepare and win long before they are showcased in foreign lands. they continue to fail miserably for the most part. hunger for success should be bred into footballers

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »
We running from poverty too ... but sufferer to sufferer, soldier to soldier, we comfortable in it, ent? Oftentimes cause Trinis don't label it fuh what it is. Poverty.

Nah we not running from Poverty. Ur could go by tanty and get a meal. Or push come to shove go in the streets and beg. Ur must get enough to atleast buy a pack of biscuit. The hell that some of those africans trying to run away from is really different. Remember some of these people migrate overseas and still live in one and two bedroom apartments with no less than 15-20 people. That is hell that does define you and is not just poverty is also disease and famine. In our country we have free tertiary education and free health care. The quality can be disputed but it's there none the less. We not in hell. Atleast not yet and Trini life sweet. No gas to buy because the place freezing etc.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2013, 04:19:34 AM »

Nah we not running from Poverty. Ur could go by tanty and get a meal. Or push come to shove go in the streets and beg. Ur must get enough to atleast buy a pack of biscuit. The hell that some of those africans trying to run away from is really different. Remember some of these people migrate overseas and still live in one and two bedroom apartments with no less than 15-20 people. That is hell that does define you and is not just poverty is also disease and famine. In our country we have free tertiary education and free health care. The quality can be disputed but it's there none the less. We not in hell. Atleast not yet and Trini life sweet. No gas to buy because the place freezing etc.

Your response underscores my point. Perhaps spectacularly so. Even stereotypically so.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »

The majority of African migrants living overseas are in Europe - about 4.6m compared with 890,000 in the US, according to the International Organization for Migration. But the Migration Policy Institute believes there are between seven and eight million irregular African immigrants living in the EU - the actual number changing depending on regularisation schemes in the member states.

About two-thirds of Africans in Europe are from north Africa (Algeria, Morocco and Tunisia). An increasing number are travelling from Sub-Saharan Africa, mainly heading for the former colonial powers of France, Germany, Italy and the UK.

Most Sub-Saharan migrants are from West Africa - Ghana, Nigeria and Senegal, in particular.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6228236.stm

These 3 countries haven't been the seat of the traditional famine that occupies our TV screens. In the context of Africa, a better pic is painted by looking at things through the lens of 55 countries ... rather than one continent. But, even as we grant that the economic landscape there is not the same as ours in T&T ... our rose-coloured lenses should recognize (and accept) that just about, or just under, 20% of our T&T population is at or below the poverty line. An entirely stunning figure. Some of the same tanties you suggesting to get a meal from are not better situated, so they cyah help.

"My brother is married with four children, he's sold land to make the journey and nothing we say will discourage him," the trader says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5383080.stm

Cost of the trip? Could be $1500 US.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 04:49:57 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »
If not Tanty then the neighbour. Also remember all this poverty talk you talking about. Children still have the school feeding programme etc to get lunch and breakfast each day at school. Bosss we can't compare to Africa. Even the poorest people in this country does wear Jordans. Fresh Jordans too.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2013, 08:50:18 PM »
Fair enough, but I'm yet to see a barefooted African migrant. Back to Winchester ...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
Winchester played a full game against Vasa IFK on Jan 19th, which they lost 3-1.

Here are some comments (translated from Finnish)  from the coach:

Jaron coach Alexei Eremenko impressed Trinidad & Tobago striker Shahdon Winchester skills training match Kakkonen playing for Vasa IFK against.

Although pietarsaarelaisryhmä lost struggle maalein 1-3, Eremenko not been lamenting. Eremenko, however, was satisfied with a 21-year-old player extracts, although he was also needed more fire.

- I'm sure that Winchester is still a good player. He is young and he has a lot of potential. He is quick, skilful, strong and intelligent player. I stayed in the attitude side, however, miss more, he should be more active and do more initiatives Eremenko says the club's website.

- However, the same applies to all the test players. Should they arise, rather than just be involved. Test for players should show that they really want an agreement.

http://www.suomifutis.com/2013/01/trinidad-tobagon-maajoukkuehyokkaaja-teki-vaikutuksen-jaro-luotsiin/

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2013, 08:47:15 PM »
Today, Winchester had a goal and an assist in Jaro's 2-3 loss to SJK (Seinäjoen Jalkapallokerho).

Jaro's head coach, Alexei Eremenko, was full of praise for Winchester. He said, "One goal and one assist, it was a good performance. He is fast, strong, and wins the head to head. I was happy with what I saw. Winchester was clearly better than in the previous game, and he has improved in every session."

Winchester himself said after the game that he still was less than his best.
"This was a pretty good match for us, but sometimes it happens in football that the better team does not win. My game was all right, but it still was not 100 percent, but it was better than the last. Football here is very different than in my country, especially the intensity, it is much harder, but I like it."

http://www.ffjaro.fi/news/sjk-eteni-tammiturnauksen-loppuotteluun
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:51:17 PM by Tallman »

1]; } ?>