May 26, 2024, 02:38:45 PM

Author Topic: Self Defense  (Read 4845 times)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Self Defense
« on: December 05, 2008, 09:39:26 AM »
hello All

I recently got introduced to Krav maga while taking in the human weapon series, what got me about it was how practical it was as opposed to other fighting arts, while still being very technical in its approaches, and immediately started researching it and came across this torrent link it contains several pdfs and four well put together instractional videos. it covers everything from basic hand to hand, to knife and gun disarming techniques. I figure TT being the way it is these days, that ordinary ........... um...somewhat ::) law abiding trinis like mi self and u........I imagine...... 8), can benefit from learnin this art because again its practical, u wont find any magical jet Li/kung fu stuff in it. It simply focuses on teaching the user about "potentially" staying alive in many close encounter scinarios.

Note: This is NOT meant to be a replacement for Sound Judgement and Good Sense on your part, but only when u tink d criminal/attacker not goin' to use his or jus plain dont have none

enjoy and learn seriously

peace

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:31:29 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Self Defense
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
Anybody who watches a video and then goes out and tries to replicate what they see on tape putting their lives in danger.  There simply is no substitute for actual time being put in on the mat and developing the type of muscle memory and discipline that is required for the practical application of the techniques in real world settings. This is where the 'sound judgment' should factor in.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 03:43:15 PM »
Anybody who watches a video and then goes out and tries to replicate what they see on tape putting their lives in danger.  There simply is no substitute for actual time being put in on the mat and developing the type of muscle memory and discipline that is required for the practical application of the techniques in real world settings. This is where the 'sound judgment' should factor in.

meant to say that too, we been at it for months actually and still are,

the people on those tapes a professionals in law enforcement and military, not some clowns on metacafe and such or else I would not have posted it.

All relevant cautions, health and safety requirements are fully articulated on those videos or I would not have posted it.

not a snake oil salesman, I do all the required research first :) 
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 03:46:44 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »
meant to say that too, we been at it for months actually and still are,

the people on those tapes a professionals in law enforcement and military, not some clowns on metacafe and such or else I would not have posted it.

All relevant cautions, health and safety requirements are fully articulated on those videos or I would not have posted it.

not a snake oil salesman, I do all the required research first :) 

The caveat is for anyone who relies on any video for their self-defense training.  I'm familiar enough with Krav Maga and it's history, though I've never myself been a practitioner.  The men on the tapes might be professionals and what not... but what of the people with whom you're training?  What is their background in this (or any) martial art?

Those are questions for you to ponder.  Even if you all sit around and watch some tapes then get up and try and mimic what you see, that can hardly be sufficient.

Aside from all of that... you seem to imply that this is more practical then Kung Fu, which you seemingly dismiss as "magical Jet Li/kung fu stuff"... there's a reason why the artform has survived for hundreds of years, and no, magic dust and television have nothing to do with it.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:05:25 PM »
no I did not intend to dismiss kung fu the word movie just got omitted :-[, do u have any idea how many people believe what they see in movies are real and worse do u no way many people try to pass off cine' tricks as real in so called instruction manuals :P .....................on a kung fu note fan of wing chun :)

again my intent was never to mislead nor is it to have people believing this to be a begin all end solution just a practical one based merely on its attention to basics and its focus on dealing with scenarios that may occur during attack.

and again if didn't seem to highlight them enough  the documentation is very thorough hence the reason I chose that package

I am 31 and slightly handicapped, practicality is important to me, and I take learning very seriously.

with proper research and a honest acknowledge of your limitations, a person can teach themselves anything once the right resources are readily available.

hell I am proficient in 3d art, character animation, and getting there in 3d applications programming among other stuff, all through proper research, I found solid resources practiced, researched and practiced some more.

I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 06:53:15 PM »
no I did not intend to dismiss kung fu the word movie just got omitted :-[, do u have any idea how many people believe what they see in movies are real and worse do u no way many people try to pass off cine' tricks as real in so called instruction manuals :P .....................on a kung fu note fan of wing chun :)

again my intent was never to mislead nor is it to have people believing this to be a begin all end solution just a practical one based merely on its attention to basics and its focus on dealing with scenarios that may occur during attack.

and again if didn't seem to highlight them enough  the documentation is very thorough hence the reason I chose that package

I am 31 and slightly handicapped, practicality is important to me, and I take learning very seriously.

with proper research and a honest acknowledge of your limitations, a person can teach themselves anything once the right resources are readily available.

hell I am proficient in 3d art, character animation, and getting there in 3d applications programming among other stuff, all through proper research, I found solid resources practiced, researched and practiced some more.

Don't take what I'm saying too personal, I'm not saying you're trying to mislead anyone... all I'm saying to you is that it may be difficult to truly develop yourself as a martial artist without dedicated physical interaction with other martial artists.  I didn't get the sense from your initial post that you're training with qualified Krav Maga practitioners... maybe you are.  That I think is a much more realistic approach to learning the artform... you can have all the resources you want but minus actual on the mat training your body doesn't learn to react instinctively (what I call 'muscle memory') to the moves/countermoves that are involved with martial arts. 

My biggest concern would be for you to pick up some moves from film, along with a false sense of confidence in your abilities and then find yourself in trouble on the streets.  Even dedicated martial artists who live in the dojo have to guard against this, let alone someone who never/hardly ever steps foot on the mat.  So don't take what I'm saying as discouragement... if anything I'd like to channel your enthusiasm in a different, what I feel is more effective direction.  You might be at a disadvantage in that more esoteric styles like Krav Maga, KSM, Escrima etc. may not be available to you in TnT so it may make more sense to develop some grounding in another artform and then incorporate some crosstraining into your routine where possible.

wha'ppen Don Jacobs too expensive or what? lol

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »

My biggest concern would be for you to pick up some moves from film, along with a false sense of confidence in your abilities and then find yourself in trouble on the streets.  Even dedicated martial artists who live in the dojo have to guard against this, let alone someone who never/hardly ever steps foot on the mat.  So don't take what I'm saying as discouragement... if anything I'd like to channel your enthusiasm in a different, what I feel is more effective direction.  You might be at a disadvantage in that more esoteric styles like Krav Maga, KSM, Escrima etc. may not be available to you in TnT so it may make more sense to develop some grounding in another artform and then incorporate some crosstraining into your routine where possible.

wha'ppen Don Jacobs too expensive or what? lol

trust me when I tell u that I am a perfectly grounded individual and never get ahead of myself, it would be detrimental to my well being if I was prone to that kind of thing, and I have done my fear share of supervised physical training

I as well as my brother have been to karate demonstrations, my brother does capoeira seriously too.
karate dojos are good at would they do, karate.....................self defense however and generally awareness, attention to form and technique seems to get lost in translation, somewhere between master and student when it came to kumite sessions :(............again like the football it could be that the student/player just not competently grasping or choose to ignore the basics but..................it seems like scoring that point is more important than displaying proper understanding of what they are taught.

your advice is duly noted and appreciated though, cheers :beermug: :beermug:

I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:05:01 PM »
trust me when I tell u that I am a perfectly grounded individual and never get ahead of myself, it would be detrimental to my well being if I was prone to that kind of thing, and I have done my fear share of supervised physical training

I as well as my brother have been to karate demonstrations, my brother does capoeira seriously too.
karate dojos are good at would they do, karate.....................self defense however and generally awareness, attention to form and technique seems to get lost in translation, somewhere between master and student when it came to kumite sessions :(............again like the football it could be that the student/player just not competently grasping or choose to ignore the basics but..................it seems like scoring that point is more important than displaying proper understanding of what they are taught.

your advice is duly noted and appreciated though, cheers :beermug: :beermug:

Sounds like the issue might be more with the instructor/instruction than an issue with the artform... karate definitely teaches you self-defense and awareness.  In the end though you have to find the path that works best for you  :beermug:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:52:33 PM »
I should mention that I am in Trinidad, my comments are not am indictment of karate itself, but on the value or lack thereof, placed on awareness, technique and form during sparring sessions that I have seen here, especially among young students, but mind you the kata sessions look very technical but mostly a bit flashy and who like flash more than trinis, but as I said the lack of application shown by the students just doesn't really inspire me
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 09:56:17 PM »
I should mention that I am in Trinidad, my comments are not am indictment of karate itself, but on the value or lack thereof, placed on awareness, technique and form during sparring sessions that I have seen here, especially among young students, but mind you the kata sessions look very technical but mostly a bit flashy and who like flash more than trinis, but as I said the lack of application shown by the students just doesn't really inspire me

I hate katas as much as the next person but I understand the purpose of them... all that repetition is supposed to foster discipline while also ingraining the movements into your psyche.  But yeah, you definitely have to find the right situation for yourself.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 03:18:49 AM »
hello All

I recently got introduced to Krav maga while taking in the human weapon series, what got me about it was how practical it was as opposed to other fighting arts, while still being very technical in its approaches, and immediately started researching it and came across this torrent link it contains several pdfs and four well put together instractional videos. it covers everything from basic hand to hand, to knife and gun disarming techniques. I figure TT being the way it is these days, that ordinary ........... um...somewhat ::) law abiding trinis like mi self and u........I imagine...... 8), can benefit from learnin this art because again its practical, u wont find any magical jet Li/kung fu stuff in it. It simply focuses on teaching the user about "potentially" staying alive in many close encounter scinarios.

Note: This is NOT meant to be a replacement for Sound Judgement and Good Sense on your part, but only when u tink d criminal/attacker not goin' to use his or jus plain dont have none

peace

Sound like you working well with limited resources. But keep in mind even  "flashy" kumite-style fighting has its benefits. Risking your health to face off against tournament athletes will help you master fear and relax if confronted by real attackers. Also sparring at full throttle with bad intent flashy or practical is a reasonable approximation of the force that could be directed toward you in a self-defense situation. Also when you are involved in an altercation you will likely get hit, bent or thrown. And all the practical technique in the world will not help if you freeze up when you that happens. Hard contact with an opponent will gradually bring out the ability to shrug off the shock having force applied to you person and to keep fighting back, a VERY important skill to have.

If you find you want to broaden your knowledge of MA into your particular situation to it might be a good idea to develop a practioners community, whereby people of different backgrounds and levels meet, share and train, as long as proper ground rules are laid down and respected.

Keep it up the training, not everyone has the luxury of going the conventional route.  Just remember that an empty cup can hold the most tea..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 03:22:14 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 03:55:19 AM »
I understand the purpose of kata as well, muscle memory is important and it would be foolish to believe that u can master something after one try, my point was that it all gets tossed out the door for kumite sessions, some students seem more likely to hurt themselves than an opponent, something I don't think good instructors should allow to happen.
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 04:04:03 AM »
hello All

peace

Sound like you working well with limited resources. But keep in mind even  "flashy" kumite-style fighting has its benefits. Risking your health to face off against tournament athletes will help you master fear and relax if confronted by real attackers. Also sparring at full throttle with bad intent flashy or practical is a reasonable approximation of the force that could be directed toward you in a self-defense situation. Also when you are involved in an altercation you will likely get hit, bent or thrown. And all the practical technique in the world will not help if you freeze up when you that happens. Hard contact with an opponent will gradually bring out the ability to shrug off the shock having force applied to you person and to keep fighting back, a VERY important skill to have.

If you find you want to broaden your knowledge of MA into your particular situation to it might be a good idea to develop a practioners community, whereby people of different backgrounds and levels meet, share and train, as long as proper ground rules are laid down and respected.

Keep it up the training, not everyone has the luxury of going the conventional route.  Just remember that an empty cup can hold the most tea..

it not flashy kumite fights that bother me, its the inept looking ones that dont fill me with confidence.....but again like bakes said could just be weak instruction
I pity the fool....

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »
Lefty, how the Krav Maga working/worked out for you? Is it as street smart and real world effective as it promises to be.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 08:19:27 AM »
it working out well, but I'm still trying to track down an instructor in trini though. what I like about it is that it allows u to pretty much find your own way, I'm fat and Handicapped so improv has to be a big part of how I train and also I liked it because it emphasized constant movement and stayin on your feet.........this is good for me,as I pretty much know that if I go to ground, it can be over for me,

the thing about it is that, their 360 defense philosophy is pounded into every thing, but note though, u have to have an environment that allows u to take it up a notch or 2, i.e a partner who  isn't afraid to get hurt a bit and safety has to be big ...big part of it, for instance, I train with my brother and both of us can take ah good hit and know each others limits, so we pretty much do it without safety gear and padding.........but its not really advisable especially if u know u can be over zealous.

this shit was developed by the Israelis for combat  not just mere self-defense, there is a big distinction there, at any rate if u get to torrent start out by reading the pdf/s first
I pity the fool....

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 06:09:04 PM »
it working out well, but I'm still trying to track down an instructor in trini though. what I like about it is that it allows u to pretty much find your own way, I'm fat and Handicapped so improv has to be a big part of how I train and also I liked it because it emphasized constant movement and stayin on your feet.........this is good for me,as I pretty much know that if I go to ground, it can be over for me,

the thing about it is that, their 360 defense philosophy is pounded into every thing, but note though, u have to have an environment that allows u to take it up a notch or 2, i.e a partner who  isn't afraid to get hurt a bit and safety has to be big ...big part of it, for instance, I train with my brother and both of us can take ah good hit and know each others limits, so we pretty much do it without safety gear and padding.........but its not really advisable especially if u know u can be over zealous.

this shit was developed by the Israelis for combat  not just mere self-defense, there is a big distinction there, at any rate if u get to torrent start out by reading the pdf/s first

Well like you I looking for a school here in Toronto, but I suspect that they are watered-down versions. But I really want to get into it. You're right though, you and your training partner hadda be careful.

Is your handicap able to allow some BJJ training? That way if you end up on the ground you can continue to have an edge.

Good luck with the training.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 10:14:30 PM »

Is your handicap able to allow some BJJ training? That way if you end up on the ground you can continue to have an edge.

yeah a bit but i generally prefer to keep them of me, so I'll sprawl n brawl it as best I can and if they do manage to get me down I'll try to grab and dig into the throat...........I keep my finger nails no less than 2mm long specifically "for that last gasp act of desperation :devil:" my brother is big on bbj and capoeira though so he uses bjj alot......a bit too much for my liking........... I keep tellin im if u have to grab dem get rid ah dem quick.........he does spen to much time lockin holds
I pity the fool....

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 11:49:36 PM »

yeah a bit but i generally prefer to keep them of me, so I'll sprawl n brawl it as best I can and if they do manage to get me down I'll try to grab and dig into the throat...........I keep my finger nails no less than 2mm long specifically "for that last gasp act of desperation :devil:" my brother is big on bbj and capoeira though so he uses bjj alot......a bit too much for my liking........... I keep tellin im if u have to grab dem get rid ah dem quick.........he does spen to much time lockin holds
there is at least 2 people in trini who do it. one of my students goes. the downside...i think is over 200tt a session. i was looking into it but dais real money per session. good luck
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »

there is at least 2 people in trini who do it. one of my students goes. the downside...i think is over 200tt a session. i was looking into it but dais real money per session. good luck

krav right ??? if it is $200 lil rich for my blood too............at this point

@ grande had to modify the link in my first post in changed
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:32:43 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 07:26:28 AM »
yeah krav.!!! it may drop if one or 2 others begin teaching it....which may happen i was hearing.so.... keep your ear to the ground
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 09:21:10 AM »
yeah krav.!!! it may drop if one or 2 others begin teaching it....which may happen i was hearing.so.... keep your ear to the ground
cool thanks, will do that :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »

Yeah Krav Maga real nasty.

My friend does BJJ purely for the sport and art of it, which is interesting, just like your bro he loves de holds, especially the Kimura. He now start taking Judo to enhance de self-defense aspect. Man throw mih across the room easy easy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:56:19 PM by Grande »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 03:35:37 PM »

Yeah Krav Maga real nasty.

My friend does BJJ purely for the sport and art of it, which is interesting, just like your bro he loves de holds, especially the Reverse Ude-Garami otherwise known as de Kimura. He now start taking Judo to enhance de self-defense aspect. Man throw mih across the room easy easy.

lol
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>