June 16, 2024, 01:03:07 AM

Author Topic: Car topic  (Read 10197 times)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Re: Car topic
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »
a set of good winter tires makes a big difference in snow and cold weather.

Queen, at the final stages of negotiation with the Dealer, ask them to throw in a set of four winter rims and tire to close the sale.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
The Legacy is a family sedan? In America?
De family smaller dan what I seeing den... ;D

Y

The legacy has grown in size over the last two cycles..I eh sure what year you lookin at...plus depending on what version motor is under the hood it can be either a nice family sedan or a turbocharged beast

I am not familiar with the older models. I only paid attention to the Legacy in the last few months. I'm looking at a 2008/2009. We've had an Outback and have a Tribeca but those were for specific needs. Now it's my turn just to have a car that I like for a change.
Between you and me (looks to see who listening) I would like the turbo charged beast because ah have a lil Napoleon complex dat I in terapy for, but since I am a respectable wife and mother, I may go with the sedan.
I just showed hubby the list that chinee boi put and he's saying I really should look at the Elantra too. He's enjoying this more than me I think..lol

Nuts Man! Yes all that will come to pass when I'm ready to sign papers.

I now came across this. http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/resources/article.aspx?cp-documentid=16115473
Looks like the Camry is no longer the most stolen car. It's the Honda in Canada (and the Impreza and the Acura) and the Cadillac Escalade in the US (and the F350 and the Hummer). I guess in the US they take these to chop shops? I really can't see you hiding an F350.
Interesting to note that Americans steal the bigger cars..lol
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 07:39:10 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »
The Legacy is a family sedan? In America?
De family smaller dan what I seeing den... ;D

Yes I was hearing Hyundai has an amazing warranty - the best in the business I'm told.
Can't bring myself to buy another Mazda. Had a horrible experience with one and it blinds me to them now.

Corolla...never really thought about that one.

Now you have me thinking of these others. I was trying to narrow things down...lol

hahaha well u might as well look at all yuh options cause when u buy it yuh cah give it back and say i doh want that no more  :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 11:57:52 PM »

Interesting to note that Americans steal the bigger cars..lol

Usually the cars that are top sellers are also the ones most likely to be stolen.  For many years the Ford Taurus led both categories, followed for years by the Honda Accord... couple years ago was the F-150.  With trucks and SUVs dropping in sales I imagine that the number of stolen F-350s (and demand for their parts) will similarly drop.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 10:13:52 AM »
that F350 is a monster papa...ah does ease by dem when ah passing..
I guess it depends on where you are. In a big, trendy city, the Escalade and Hummer still rule supreme. It's all about impressing the neighbours. Also in the farm belt, or frozen tundras, the large trucks have always held sway.
There was a while there where ever you look, there was a BMW of one series or the other but they did not make it to the most stolen top 5 I don't think.
Around here it's Ford and Chevy country and they sniff at you in you drive a non-domestic but me en care nuh.

Yeah man, I have to look at as many as feasible. Will check the Elantra as soon as this deep freeze is over. I don't want to be looking at anything outdoors right now. This weather is really getting to me. I can't even go outside to shoot meh snaps of bush fuh Dutty to criticize...

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2008, 02:12:24 PM »
BMW

Talk done
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2008, 02:22:14 PM »
to shine a little bit more light on the choice here is how Consumer Reports ranks small cars:

1. Hyundai Elantra SE

Thats right...NUMBER ONE.

Hyundai owners these days are a happy lot from the ones I come across.  Since at least 2001 Hyundai turned the corner and been working overtime to grab market share with that warranty and all the features that are standard.  Those other car makers really eh bound to do that and u kinda end up paying some money just for brand name.
The Tuscon (SUV) selling good down here and from what I hearing the gas mileage better than most cars.  The Sonata is another one bigger than the elantra that look like a damn nice car to own and enjoy.

But I eh go lie that Legacy is look sweet...have a good bit of Subarus here.  But from that consumer reports gas mileage is terrible :thumbsdown:  Unacceptable considering is almost 2009
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:36:26 PM by dcs »

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2008, 03:56:39 PM »
BMW

Talk done

Yes ah know. We had a couple in the past when we were childless. Hubby likes them but the car I prefer is the Mercedes or better yet the Jag but I refuse to work to pay for a car. I can't look all cute in my 'cedes while it have cobweb in meh pot and ah cah go on a vacation.

DCS, say what you mean man! lol
Yes I will take a look at the Elantra. I can't even tell you what it looks like since I never paid attention.
Give me a week or two.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »
a set of good winter tires makes a big difference in snow and cold weather.
Queen, at the final stages of negotiation with the Dealer, ask them to throw in a set of four winter rims and tire to close the sale.
good suggestion

I wish I had snow tires this week instead of three different types of tires on my van :D
(I wonder if Santa will give me a set of Michelins for Xmas ;) )
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:31:34 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
Thats right...NUMBER ONE.

Hyundai owners these days are a happy lot from the ones I come across.  Since at least 2001 Hyundai turned the corner and been working overtime to grab market share with that warranty and all the features that are standard.  Those other car makers really eh bound to do that and u kinda end up paying some money just for brand name.
The Tuscon (SUV) selling good down here and from what I hearing the gas mileage better than most cars.  The Sonata is another one bigger than the elantra that look like a damn nice car to own and enjoy.

But I eh go lie that Legacy is look sweet...have a good bit of Subarus here.  But from that consumer reports gas mileage is terrible :thumbsdown:  Unacceptable considering is almost 2009

The gas mileage is unavoidable because of the AWD. Sending power to both axles means twice the waste. You will find that the Audis and 4mtoion cars have the same problem.

Hyundai is a good value for money car but it still has the "cheap car" stigma here in the States. They have also made the elantra and accent smaller over the years to position the Sonata as a Camry/Accord competitor. The Sonata is actually a little bigger than those two but a couple thousand dollars less.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2008, 01:21:33 AM »
...With trucks and SUVs dropping in sales I imagine that the number of stolen F-350s (and demand for their parts) will similarly drop.

Kinda off-topic but... damn, I said it but didn't realize how bad things were  :-\

Nearly the end of the line for SUVs

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2008, 06:12:55 AM »
SUV's demise?  About time.

After the oil shocks the 70's and early 80's, you would have thunk that the OEM's and consumers would have learnt a lesson.  But no. Instead of developing energy efficient vehicles, ego and hubris took over.   Alas, history repeats itself.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2008, 09:00:44 AM »
Hubby was in Texas some weeks ago and said his hotel was near a Hummer dealership. When he looked out his wondow he saw Hummers lined up as far as the eye could see. Nobody is buying them...

It was a pretty arrogant thing to make though. I remember when the Navigator came out it was used for limo services, celebrity car etc then Joe Public started driving it and it became a style succeeded by the Escalade. It never occured to me to buy one.

DCS, I don't mind the 'cheap car' stigma so long as I like it. I never live to please de neighbour. My first car was a Chevy Cavalier RS, the squarish type body, cheap car, perfect for a first time owner and I loved my little bucket of bolts. If the Elantra feels like mine when I test drive it, that's how I'm going. Some cars feel cheap which is worse - like the Dodge Calibre. I sat in one and felt like Wilma Flintstone having to skate the ground with my foot to get it to move higher than 5 mph. *steupse*
We rented a Charger earlier this year to make a road trip. Car feel nice boy, had some power under the hood but it's too big for me. I'm not a big person it would have me looking like ah teef meh fadda car.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2008, 11:05:23 AM »
Hubby was in Texas some weeks ago and said his hotel was near a Hummer dealership. When he looked out his wondow he saw Hummers lined up as far as the eye could see. Nobody is buying them...

The Hummer dealership up de road from me close just last month...

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2008, 11:15:59 AM »
But even in its heyday, you dared not point out the stupidity of owning/driving such a thing to the owner. They ready to boof you...
There was this girl in the office, no bigger than a pin, bought a banana yellow Hummer. One day she took a corner badly and the thing overturn and mash up like a fowlcoob after the rooster finish interfere wid de chickens.
She walked away without a scratch but if you see the car. Like she had it park in downtown Iraq when Dasheen Bush say FIRE!

Not me nuh. I could drive what ever you put in front of me an ah like a nice ride but dat look like over-compensation to me.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2008, 11:16:11 AM »
I was going an buy a generator for emergencies but came across this article about what a fella did to his Toyota Prius (which I also have) and decided to investigate this conversion

"December 23, 2008, 9:58 am

Prius: It’s Not Just a Car, It’s an Emergency Generator
By Kate Galbraith
Which would you rather have in a winter emergency? (Photos: Toyota (top); Daniel Steger/OpenPhoto.net)
The Prius has a new use, and it does not involve driving. The Harvard Press — which serves the Massachusetts town of Harvard as opposed to the university — reported that the car’s battery helped keep the lights on for some locals during the recent ice storms.

The newspaper reports that John Sweeney, a resident who lost power, “ran his refrigerator, freezer, TV, woodstove fan and several lights through his Prius, for three days, on roughly five gallons of gas.”

Said Mr. Sweeney, in an e-mail message to The Press: “When it looked like we were going to be without power for awhile, I dug out an inverter (which takes 12v DC and creates 120v AC from it) and wired it into our Prius.”

According to the newspaper, “the device allowed the engine to run every half hour, automatically charging the car battery and indirectly supplying the required power.” (The Times reported on a similar venture last year.)

In fact, this development, which comes at a tough time for Toyota, which makes the Prius, may not be as strange as it sounds. Mr. Sweeney’s tinkering is along the lines of the “smart grid” technology that many utility executives and other experts say lies in our future. The idea is that the battery of an electric car — a plug-in, in most smart-grid scenarios — can feed power to the electricity grid when the grid needs it.

Even President-elect Barack Obama has endorsed this idea, as seen toward the end of this YouTube clip in which he said: “We’re going to have to have a smart grid if we want to use plug-in hybrids — then we want to be able to have ordinary consumers sell back the electricity that’s generated.”

Mr. Sweeney, out of necessity, got there first.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company Privacy Policy NYTimes.com 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018 "

http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/23/prius-its-not-just-a-car-its-an-emergency-generator/

Found a conversion website
"How to Use a Toyota Prius As a Backup Generator
When properly set up, a hybrid vehicle like a Toyota Prius can double as a backup generator. So, the next time the lights go out, here's how to let the mini power plant in your garage drive your appliances for a few days.
Go under the hatch. Locate the batteries under the mat beneath the car's rear hatch.
Attach a 2-foot-long, heavy-gauge cable to the relay terminals on the hybrid's (larger) "traction" battery. Affix a heavy-duty, 75-amp, plug-style connector to the other end.
Build a new circuit box. Wire the stuff in your home that you can't live without, like your fridge, magic bullet and PlayStation, to a separate breaker box. In an emergency, you don't want to guess which breakers should be on or off, and the Prius battery isn't strong enough to power everything in a McMansion. Installation requires cutting drywall, mounting the box, rerouting some wires, and running out a 230-volt plug to power the new breaker box. Consider hiring an electrician.
Connect the car to the house. Purchase a commercial-strength uninterruptible power supply (UPS).
Insert the new circuit box's 230-volt plug into the UPS, and power the UPS by plugging its own 230-volt plug into a clothes-dryer-style home outlet. Run positive and negative wires from the UPS battery to two heavy-duty diodes; do the same with another wire running between the diodes and a 175-amp plug that connects to the Prius' plug. (The diodes keep electricity from flowing from your house to the Prius.) The UPS is in the loop to help convert the Prius' 210- to 240-volt DC power into a home's AC power.
If the grid goes down, connect the plugs, fire up the Prius, and feel the power. "
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:23:59 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
We have a generator but this is very cool.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »
BMW

Talk done

Yes ah know. We had a couple in the past when we were childless. Hubby likes them but the car I prefer is the Mercedes or better yet the Jag but I refuse to work to pay for a car. I can't look all cute in my 'cedes while it have cobweb in meh pot and ah cah go on a vacation.

DCS, say what you mean man! lol
Yes I will take a look at the Elantra. I can't even tell you what it looks like since I never paid attention.
Give me a week or two.

Well I owned them both. The hyandai is a great family vehicle especially in this economy.  I have the BMW now. owned them together in Germany.

Right now the Service deal with BMW is un surpassed. The Warranty on Hyundai is the best. Gas mileage is also the bomb. I will neve give up my BMW but if I had to a Hyundai Elantra will be my secound vehicle.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2008, 12:20:15 PM »
But even in its heyday, you dared not point out the stupidity of owning/driving such a thing to the owner. They ready to boof you...
There was this girl in the office, no bigger than a pin, bought a banana yellow Hummer. One day she took a corner badly and the thing overturn and mash up like a fowlcoob after the rooster finish interfere wid de chickens.
She walked away without a scratch but if you see the car. Like she had it park in downtown Iraq when Dasheen Bush say FIRE!

Not me nuh. I could drive what ever you put in front of me an ah like a nice ride but dat look like over-compensation to me.

Yuh think she really wanted a bigger penis?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
...but if I had to a Hyundai Elantra will be my secound vehicle.

Keep driving dem bootleg Hondas... allyuh play allyuh doh see how driving dem ting make Rodney King ketch ah ass-beating.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »

Yuh think she really wanted a bigger penis?

If yuh knew de person yuh woon akse dat.  :D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »

If yuh knew de person yuh woon akse dat.  :D

What... she already have one?  ???

;D

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2008, 02:19:21 PM »
nah, well...hmmm..at least I don't think so.... but women can over-compensate too y'know...
it's not always about the penis...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2008, 02:38:26 PM »
nah, well...hmmm..at least I don't think so.... but women can over-compensate too y'know...
it's not always about the penis...

I juss playing de fool, pay me no mind.  I sure women over-compensate (they're human too, no?) in their own ways.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »
well people, thanks for the input.
We've got a Legacy in the driveway to test drive this weekend. Car have heart papa..
This may be the one...

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:16 PM »
Our two:

Mercury Sable..... Love it, my work car. Small enuff to fit in any parking spot, big enuff to fit 2 kidlets and a bunch of groceries. Good Mileage, $30 to fill tank. Good driving in the snow, but I broke a back axle falling into a pothole. Go from 0 to 70 in no time but don't slow down as quickly so State troopers can zap you. Only reason I miss a ticket on the highway was cause the idiot behind me decide to take out his cell phone and yap just as the trooper was coming down on the left to pull me over. Troopie stop mid siren and drop back so fast to get phoneboy it was funny.
Hyundai 350 GLS (or it might be GXL) His work car, I steal it now because it have seat warmers to keep my ass warm in this cold. Lots of cup holders. Big back seat. Bigger trunk space. Fit groceries, a stroller and a 37 inch flat Vizio in there.
$35 to fill tank. Goes from 0 to 75 mph in no time. Good for the highway. Good brakes to get you from 85mph to 65mph in under 10 seconds.. great for avoiding State troopers.  Fedup hit potholes with this thing and all it needed on 3 month check up today was a new air fiter.

I have been promised a new car for my birthday. I would like a mommy mobile like a Suburban or a Navigator or Town and Country - at least an 8 seater. I have been informed by daddy warbucks that the price of gas is too fickle to spend that kind of money on a gas guzzling car that we don't need and that parts such as tires and brakes etc cost almost twice as much as on regular cars. We'll see who wins this fight. He may make more money than me, but it gets awfully lonely sleeping on the sofa  :devil:
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl:
ah cah stop laughing. :rotfl:

well this car is for me to drive but mister goes into a testosterone zone that pre-empts marriage, children, sex, sofa threats...
I told him once he narrows it down to 2-3 then I get final say. He talking all kinda engine dis, ratio dat wid de man and I jes want to know what colour it come in...

But it's the Impreza, Legacy and Civic...Legacy looking nice. It will replace the Tribeca. He's drive a Ford Ranger that we cuss from sun up to sun down...

None of those big cars you mentioned for me...I'm not that big, I look like ah teef meh fadda buick when ah drive a big car.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 09:21:19 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
din somebody tell ya not to buy ah ford?  :whistling:

;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2009, 09:37:21 PM »
Eh I give it a week on this end... Mister loves his err... snuggle time too much to give it up over a gas guzzling monster that will make the missus happy thus leading to even more err... snuggle time  :devil:
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2009, 09:42:09 PM »
nah ah doh use de snuggle time as a bargaining tool...
it does backfire, ah learn meh lesson.

1]; } ?>