April 26, 2024, 08:34:48 PM

Author Topic: Yorke focuses on positives from United game  (Read 5588 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Yorke focuses on positives from United game
« on: December 07, 2008, 08:06:27 PM »
Yorke focuses on positives from United game
By Nick Alexander (safc.com)

Dwight Yorke says Sunderland should be proud of their performance at Manchester United.

Yorke, a former United player, returned to the side and played his part in an impressive defensive display by the Black Cats, who were two minutes away from securing a point at Old Trafford.

The Trinidad & Tobago midfielder was asked to help stand-in manager Ricky Sbragia look after the team following Roy Keane's resignation last week.

And he says Sunderland showed their fans that it is not all doom and gloom after a few days of turmoil.

"No one gave us a chance and we came out of it with some credit," said Yorke. "The players deserve credit for defending like that and being resilient for so long.

"To lose in the way we did, of course we are bitterly disappointed. Nevertheless, there are a lot of positives. One of the things we can take from it is that there's still belief and character in the team, we can go on and get better.

"There was a togetherness and fighting spirit - we could have gone the other way."

Yorke joked that he made sure his name was on the team-sheet when the coaches picked the starting line-up on Friday.

He said: "I already had the heads up that I was going to be involved before the gaffer left, so it was easy to pick myself!"

Yorke was one of the first players to arrive at the Stadium of Light in the Keane regime and he has expressed his sadness at the manager's sudden exit.

"I was saddened when Roy left, he was the man responsible for me coming here," said the 37-year-old. "If it wasn't for him I would not be here. I'm grateful for that and I'm sad to see him go.

"I believe he could have turned things around, but for whatever reason he decided not to. He is his own man and he makes his own decisions. We have seen it happen and we have to crack on.

"I've not spoken to Roy yet, I'm hoping to soon, I just sent him a text."

Yorke is confident that Sunderland can start to pick up points and move away from the relegation zone.

"In Ricky [Sbragia] and Neil [Bailey] we have two experienced coaches who can help stabilise things until the new manager arrives," he said.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke focuses on positives from United game
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »
Another text d official communication channel of football
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 10:57:36 AM »
Proud of friggin what, playing like it was a 10-0-0 formation?!!  Or maybe it might be the 20% possession they had? ::)  Dwight need to haul he ass wit da spin doctor bullshit.  Dat was one boring ass game except for the last 15 minutes when it look like SFC finally wanted to try to get some play in Man U half.  That would ah be shameful fun Man U if Vidic didn't get that last ditch goal.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 11:28:18 AM »
Proud of friggin what, playing like it was a 10-0-0 formation?!!  Or maybe it might be the 20% possession they had? ::)  Dwight need to haul he ass wit da spin doctor bullshit.  Dat was one boring ass game except for the last 15 minutes when it look like SFC finally wanted to try to get some play in Man U half.  That would ah be shameful fun Man U if Vidic didn't get that last ditch goal.

yuh cant hate dwight for saying what he said. you rather they go to old trafford and try to run with manu with the team they currently have? to appease your eye as a fan? they looking for points anyway they can take it so if it means they have to play 10-0-0 then so be it. if they played any other way, they would have been run out of the stadium! you cant be a true football fan and not appreciate a game like that because now the challenge is on manu to break down that defensive wall....it was a great tactical game of football and if you cant appreciate that kinda football, you can continue watching intercol to appease your delights! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 11:29:53 AM »
Proud of what yorke ? If this was Sunderland's first season up from promotion, maybe. But your in the relegation zone and promoted teams for this season except west brom are making u guys look like a league one side. Hull came to old trafford put up much more of a fight, Sunderland should be embarrassed, go back down to championship.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 01:46:29 PM »

yuh cant hate dwight for saying what he said. you rather they go to old trafford and try to run with manu with the team they currently have? to appease your eye as a fan? they looking for points anyway they can take it so if it means they have to play 10-0-0 then so be it. if they played any other way, they would have been run out of the stadium! you cant be a true football fan and not appreciate a game like that because now the challenge is on manu to break down that defensive wall....it was a great tactical game of football and if you cant appreciate that kinda football, you can continue watching intercol to appease your delights! :beermug:

You appreciate dat bullshit? They could have at least tried to pass the ball around a lil bit and build up with some possession.  They do da garbage an still lost so it din make any difference.  Leave da shit ball to West Brom.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:56:02 PM »

Careful yes... ah man call me ah 'hater' in another thread for criticizing dat shit team.  Even accuse mih ah having "animus" towards de team den try some ole Jedi mind trick spin-doctor bullshit tuh say he didn't mean ah was evidencing hostility towards dem, lol

Watch him come call yuh Animus Prime  :rotfl:

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »
allyuh full ah shyt when we do it against sweden it was ok. now them ketching they ass against man-u and it not ok.
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 04:57:35 PM »

Careful yes... ah man call me ah 'hater' in another thread for criticizing dat shit team.  Even accuse mih ah having "animus" towards de team den try some ole Jedi mind trick spin-doctor bullshit tuh say he didn't mean ah was evidencing hostility towards dem, lol

Watch him come call yuh Animus Prime  :rotfl:

Fack dem, me eh care.  When I see shit I callin it by it's rightful name.

Morvant yuh talkin rell assness.  Against Sweden TnT was down to 10 men, which dramatically changed the approach to the game.  2ndly despite how much we want our team to succeed we not on Sweden level.  Sunderland however is now a in their 2nd year back in the Primiership and should be competing at a much higher level.  How de ass Hull in de top 10 and giving everybody fits but flippin SFC playing 10 man defense.  Imagine you making dat kinda ah jackass comparison, betta yuh did keep quiet oui!!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 05:44:49 PM »
prime you could hull yuh ass. this team lost their coach unexpected this week. just get ah cutass last week. keeper playing shit of late. kenywne, carlos, yorke and the rest cyar make ah note and you expect them to beat manchester in their prime with not a single injury to any of their starters.

not to mention one of the best coaches money could buy.

empty barrels

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
Buh Morv who de hell say dey was goin an beat dem? I wouldn't expect dem to win da match on dey bess day but at least look like yuh belong in de league nah.  Even friggin WBA does try to run at teams.  So because Keane gone dey ha no ability to do anything but defend fuh 80 minutes?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 05:52:21 PM »
Buh Morv who de hell say dey was goin an beat dem? I wouldn't expect dem to win da match on dey bess day but at least look like yuh belong in de league nah.  Even friggin WBA does try to run at teams.  So because Keane gone dey ha no ability to do anything but defend fuh 80 minutes?

to please who? you?

accumulating points is de name of de game to survive... considering sunderland's circumstances coming into de game... their strategy was not too bad... and it nearly work... they lost by a matter of inches.. carrick shot coulda hit off the post and go de next way for a goal kick...

« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 05:55:53 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 05:55:16 PM »
75% of the prem league does go to old trafford to deffend nuttin new. right now in them situation was merely damage control.

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 06:14:32 PM »

to please who? you?

accumulating points is de name of de game to survive... considering sunderland's circumstances coming into de game... their strategy was not too bad... and it nearly work... they lost by a matter of inches.. carrick shot coulda hit off the post and go de next way for a goal kick...

In your world nearly musse count fuh sumting :rotfl:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 06:47:13 PM »

to please who? you?

nope..
but as morvant say it was about damage control.. steadying the ship... it woulda do dem no good to waltz in dere and collect ah cool 6...

dey can take positives in an improved defensive performance in what was arguably their hardest away game... now they can look to work on de offence...

but that wouldn't make sense to you now would it?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »
allyuh full ah shyt when we do it against sweden it was ok. now them ketching they ass against man-u and it not ok.

Allyuh men real insistent on making this comparison between Sunderbland and TnT v. Sweden boy...

Against Sweden even with 10 men TnT still managed 41% of possession (to Sweden's 59%) and managed 2 shots on goal.  Arguably us holding Sweden to a draw was an 'upset' of seismic proportions... particularly considering Sweden's man advantage.  For any number of reasons we didn't belong on the same field as Sweden... we were the weakest link in a four-team delegation, from one of the weakest confederation. 

Sweden on the other hand, for all their perennial underachieving was arguably one of the more potent teams, in arguably FIFA's strongest confederation.  Of all our players none deserved mention alongside their Swedish counterparts, with the possible exceptions of Yorke, Latas and Shaka... all of whom were well beyond their prime.

Now compare that to Sunderland v. ManU... not sure what the relative times of possession were, but I guarantee you that Sunderland came nowhere close to maintaining possession for 41% of the time... it was utter and complete one-way traffic, with very minor exception.   Sunderland managed 0 shots on goal at full strength, while ManU. managed 7... also at full strength of course.

As outclassed as they were as a team... credible arguments could be made that in the least Cisse and KJ deserve mention among the most potent forwards in the EPL.  If you want then throw out Cisse... but certainly KJ's potential can't be argued... so at least one Sunderland player can lay claim to being in the same class as the opponents on Saturday.  Finally, the gulf between Sunderland and ManU is nowhere as large as that between TnT and Sweden, had Sunderland held ManU scoreless... or even had they defeated them, that would be nowhere as shocking as the result we got against Sweden.

I understand you fellas want to give Blunderland a bligh... but time for the silly-ass comparisons to end.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »
Sunderland did very well not to get MORE than 1 in day armen
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 10:10:57 PM »
For what it's worth:

Manchester United  Sunderland 
Shots (on Goal)  31(8 )  3(0)
Fouls  10 9
Corner Kicks  10 1
Offsides  0 0
Time of Possession  72% 28%
Yellow Cards  1 0
Red Cards  0 0
Saves  0 7

Sweden              Trinidad & Tobago 
Shots (on Goal)  25(6) 6(1) 
Fouls  8 10
Corner Kicks  8 1
Offsides  2 1
Time of Possession  54% 46%
Yellow Cards  1 2
Red Cards  0 1
Saves  1 7

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2008, 10:39:32 PM »
Bitter, thanks for posting the ManU/Sunderland stats...

slight discrepancy in what I got from the EPL site and what you posted... slight differences in the WC stats as well, which I took from the FIFA site

Trinidad and Tobago (TRI)         Statistics                Sweden (SWE)
         6                                    Shots                        18
         2                                    Shots on goal              6
         0                                    Goals                         0
         10                                   Fouls Committed          9
         7                                     Fouls Suffered            10
         1                                     Corner kicks                8
         0                                     Free kicks                  1
      0 / 0                           Penalty Kicks (Goals/Shots) 0 / 0
         1                                      Offsides                    2
         0                                      Own goals                 0
         1                                     Yellow cards               1
         1                        Second yellow card and red card 0
         0                                      Red Cards                 0
         23                                    Actual playing time     34
        41%                                  Possession (%)          59%

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 01:42:18 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Assrancid you could cuss me again,i said it already and i'll say it again,Sunderland's problem is they have too much Trini's on that team,imagine Cisse scoreing almost every game win or loose and a man say KJ should be on before him.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 01:58:42 AM »

Allyuh men real insistent on making this comparison between Sunderbland and TnT v. Sweden boy...

Against Sweden even with 10 men TnT still managed 41% of possession (to Sweden's 59%) and managed 2 shots on goal.  Arguably us holding Sweden to a draw was an 'upset' of seismic proportions... particularly considering Sweden's man advantage.  For any number of reasons we didn't belong on the same field as Sweden... we were the weakest link in a four-team delegation, from one of the weakest confederation. 

Sweden on the other hand, for all their perennial underachieving was arguably one of the more potent teams, in arguably FIFA's strongest confederation.  Of all our players none deserved mention alongside their Swedish counterparts, with the possible exceptions of Yorke, Latas and Shaka... all of whom were well beyond their prime.

Now compare that to Sunderland v. ManU... not sure what the relative times of possession were, but I guarantee you that Sunderland came nowhere close to maintaining possession for 41% of the time... it was utter and complete one-way traffic, with very minor exception.   Sunderland managed 0 shots on goal at full strength, while ManU. managed 7... also at full strength of course.

As outclassed as they were as a team... credible arguments could be made that in the least Cisse and KJ deserve mention among the most potent forwards in the EPL.  If you want then throw out Cisse... but certainly KJ's potential can't be argued... so at least one Sunderland player can lay claim to being in the same class as the opponents on Saturday.  Finally, the gulf between Sunderland and ManU is nowhere as large as that between TnT and Sweden, had Sunderland held ManU scoreless... or even had they defeated them, that would be nowhere as shocking as the result we got against Sweden.

I understand you fellas want to give Blunderland a bligh... but time for the silly-ass comparisons to end.

Thats fair enough.

You lads like to argue over comments, what else were you expecting him to say, its just something for the papers and supporters means nothing and never will.

However there is a point I would like to make, since Everton last season (7-1) Keane let it get to him and every game against a top (ish) club has followed teh same pattern with the same result and varying scorelines.  We seem as a team to have a philsophy / attitude / mentality whatever you want to call it now engrained in the team that we are going to get beat whatever we do and its best to just try and minimise the damage.  This just simply doesn't work we did it to a vulnerable teams at home (because of their form at the time) Arsenal, Liverpool and not so vulnerable Chelsea Manu. All that happens is you give good players time and space on the ball and try to defend a penalty area that you have already proved you can't defend.  Its an attitude / approach the new manager needs to kill stone dead, I am not suggesting for one minute to go gunho at them but there is a happy medium and thats how it should be played, if you approach it like that and get a hiding then fair enough.  Its been a worthless approach because you are beat before you go out. 

Saturday was slightly different as that is what I expected having been tonked at home off Bolton, no training and Keane gone it was a case of getting away with minimal damage and as far as that goes it was job done.  But and this is what I disagree with if Keane had of been in charge and we were a few points better off we would of still seen the same type of performance, something I failed to understand other than putting it down to the Everton result last year. All Saturday did was make the team look worse than it is, I know the TRini bias but if you are going to pick a forward to play out of Kenwyn and Cisse, I'm afraid Cisse is teh more likely to get you a goal.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 06:09:20 AM »
i was following you until you said KJ was one of the most potent fowards in the epl. after that you lost my credibility.

sorry

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2008, 09:28:01 AM »

to please who? you?

nope..
but as morvant say it was about damage control.. steadying the ship... it woulda do dem no good to waltz in dere and collect ah cool 6...

dey can take positives in an improved defensive performance in what was arguably their hardest away game... now they can look to work on de offence...

So in order fuh dem to play good defense dey need to play 10-0-0 formation?  Dat make sense to you?  That defensive stance is fools gold and can't be counted as the defense holding up considering every player had to be a defender.  What formation are they going to run going forward that could provide similar defensive posture?  Allyuh does outsmart allyuh self wid dem ass talk.  You musse tink you talkin to somebody who eh no nutten bout ball oui!  Try again killa!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2008, 09:35:09 AM »
lol. Is here we move to? I ain't have time to play Whac-A-Mole.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »

So in order fuh dem to play good defense dey need to play 10-0-0 formation?  Dat make sense to you?  That defensive stance is fools gold and can't be counted as the defense holding up considering every player had to be a defender.  What formation are they going to run going forward that could provide similar defensive posture?  Allyuh does outsmart allyuh self wid dem ass talk.  You musse tink you talkin to somebody who eh no nutten bout ball oui!  Try again killa!

hilarious... as palos does say... missing de forest for de trees

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »

to please who? you?

nope..

Prime, all i was trying to explain to you...as well as morvant...was the fact that Sunderland trying to get points. its unfortunate that their team isnt built to have a back four to hold the defense good, or a midfield that can go both ways for the enitre 90 minutes or two-three strikers to buss de net. they are no way in the same class as the manu's, liverpool, arsenal and chelsea (check the last four years and u will see how the table finish in the epl). so especially going into old trafford, where big teams like roma get ah set ah goal against them, losing their manager, and having the lack of talent they do, sunderland did the smart thing to defend for the game. to manu's credit, they nullified the counter attack very nicely but again, if u watch the game, evra and rafael was playing like flankers so in essence manu played with two conventional defenders for most of the game. thats the intriguing part of the game...the chess moves to break down defenses that for some reason you cant enjoy or accept. no one is saying that the game should be played like that on a consistant basis, but they not in the business of pleasing you on a saturday or sunday brethren, they in the business of getting points and that was their best option of doing so.  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 10:10:47 AM »
Thats fair enough.

You lads like to argue over comments, what else were you expecting him to say, its just something for the papers and supporters means nothing and never will.

However there is a point I would like to make, since Everton last season (7-1) Keane let it get to him and every game against a top (ish) club has followed teh same pattern with the same result and varying scorelines.  We seem as a team to have a philsophy / attitude / mentality whatever you want to call it now engrained in the team that we are going to get beat whatever we do and its best to just try and minimise the damage.  This just simply doesn't work we did it to a vulnerable teams at home (because of their form at the time) Arsenal, Liverpool and not so vulnerable Chelsea Manu. All that happens is you give good players time and space on the ball and try to defend a penalty area that you have already proved you can't defend.  Its an attitude / approach the new manager needs to kill stone dead, I am not suggesting for one minute to go gunho at them but there is a happy medium and thats how it should be played, if you approach it like that and get a hiding then fair enough.  Its been a worthless approach because you are beat before you go out. 

Saturday was slightly different as that is what I expected having been tonked at home off Bolton, no training and Keane gone it was a case of getting away with minimal damage and as far as that goes it was job done.  But and this is what I disagree with if Keane had of been in charge and we were a few points better off we would of still seen the same type of performance, something I failed to understand other than putting it down to the Everton result last year. All Saturday did was make the team look worse than it is, I know the TRini bias but if you are going to pick a forward to play out of Kenwyn and Cisse, I'm afraid Cisse is teh more likely to get you a goal.

I'm glad you said it and not I... this has been my biggest complaint with Keane's/Sunderland's approach... playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.  Perhaps it's naive of me to expect them to come out with an offensive mentality in every game... certainly no one is saying throw caution to the wind, but there's a difference between playing for a win and going out there hoping not to lose... as seems to be the usual case.

As for the Cisse v. Kenwyne argument... I'd have to scroll back up to see if anyone else was making that case, I personally have no interest.  The only reason I said "then throw out Cisse" above, is owing to the fact that his better days are likely behind him, whereas KJ is up and coming, so some may rate him more on potential.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 10:14:02 AM »
i was following you until you said KJ was one of the most potent fowards in the epl. after that you lost my credibility.

sorry

Morvant I never had your credibility   ;D

lol... but I know what you mean.  As recent as a season ago KJ was drawing accolades from the top managers in the EPL, this season has largely been lost due to the summer injury, I don't think that would be sufficient for him to suddenly fall off the charts.  Note that I said he's one of the more "potent", talking about his potential and abilities... certainly he's not there yet.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 10:22:50 AM »
I'm glad you said it and not I... this has been my biggest complaint with Keane's/Sunderland's approach... playing not to lose, rather than playing to win.  Perhaps it's naive of me to expect them to come out with an offensive mentality in every game... certainly no one is saying throw caution to the wind, but there's a difference between playing for a win and going out there hoping not to lose... as seems to be the usual case.

As for the Cisse v. Kenwyne argument... I'd have to scroll back up to see if anyone else was making that case, I personally have no interest.  The only reason I said "then throw out Cisse" above, is owing to the fact that his better days are likely behind him, whereas KJ is up and coming, so some may rate him more on potential.

I fully agree with what kev say and what you saying here...

but this game here against Man U woulda be the wrong game to start... dey woulda get ah cool 6!
Consolidation is de key right now...

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Assrancid you could cuss me again,i said it already and i'll say it again,Sunderland's problem is they have too much Trini's on that team,imagine Cisse scoreing almost every game win or loose and a man say KJ should be on before him.

So fella when are you going to stop talking such unmitigated shit?

LOSE not loose eh, anyway, Sunderland's problem is that they have too many trinis on the team?  What an ass you are, you are not even worthy of having a discussion with, because you doh know shit, so why discuss football with you?

1]; } ?>