April 27, 2024, 09:32:45 AM

Author Topic: Quality of Champions League  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Quality of Champions League
« on: April 08, 2009, 06:27:23 AM »
No doubt that Champions League is a different standard. You have the top leagues in Europe and then Champions League. After watching both games what was striking is the pace of the games. Not just the running & movement, but the technical speed of the individual players under pressure.
You never get a real appreciation for the speed of players when you watch on TV. Live they always seem faster and more dynamic, but dam! yesterday those players were flying and the ball was being moved at a fantastic speed. I had to  :applause:
The Eng Premier League is one of the fastest leagues in football, but most of it is more frantic football, with high passes, plenty of tackles and dear I say mistakes. Now before EPL fans lose their minds I am speaking in general. However, yesterday was a great advertisement for football the way it should be played (how I like it  ;D) and let us hope today's games keep us  ;D and  :applause:

On another note: Listening to some fans (viewers) around me yesterday watching the Porto vs ManU. It struck me that most of them do not realize that the players view of the game is different from theirs. First to begin the players under stress (pressure), but most of all fans watch the game from above. Players have a limited vision of the field based on their body stance, pressure etc. and their appreciation for angles are different.
Man talking about I would ah do dis and dat. Well NO! if yuh would ah yuh would ah be playing out dey  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Quality of Champions League
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:28:06 AM »
On another note: Listening to some fans (viewers) around me yesterday watching the Porto vs ManU. It struck me that most of them do not realize that the players view of the game is different from theirs. First to begin the players under stress (pressure), but most of all fans watch the game from above. Players have a limited vision of the field based on their body stance, pressure etc. and their appreciation for angles are different.
Man talking about I would ah do dis and dat. Well NO! if yuh would ah yuh would ah be playing out dey  ;D

Yuh can't get away from that... we, the spectators, cannot make a wrong decision from the safety of our seats. We know better than the managers, selectors and players. Begs the question why they working as a teller in Scotia Bank or a clerk in Min. of Works rather than playing for Bayern Munich. At the end of the day though a person will comment on their perspective of things.

Those were 2 good games yesterday for real. I expect the Liverpool vs. Chelsea match to have some more fire in it. I feel Bayern vs. Barca will be more cautious. We'll know in a few hours.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:31:43 AM »
Liverpool and Bayern to win today.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:04:17 AM »
barca ent come up against a team like bayern yet, we always talk about german efficincy and resiliency BUT lucio is out and van buyten in belgium which means it go be demichelis and some other youthman, it go be real pressure for bayern today i feel.

i hoping that liverpool chelsea game is a spectacle and not a yawnfest

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »
barca ent come up against a team like bayern yet, we always talk about german efficincy and resiliency BUT lucio is out and van buyten in belgium which means it go be demichelis and some other youthman, it go be real pressure for bayern today i feel.

i hoping that liverpool chelsea game is a spectacle and not a yawnfest

More than likely it will be a kickup
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 10:20:48 AM »
UEFA Champions League is the best football you will see in the world.

IMHO, the quality better than anything u will see @ the FIFA world cup.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 03:55:44 PM »
UEFA Champions League is the best football you will see in the world.

IMHO, the quality better than anything u will see @ the FIFA world cup.

I still think a full strength Brazil v Argentina, or Holland v Germany etc is similar quality.

The very best clubs are probably marginally better than the very best national teams, because of the familiarity of the players at club level. But the difference in quality is not discernable to the naked eye imo...And by the end of the club season, club teams can often look a bit jaded and this kind of evens out the quality of what you see by the semifinal stage. You really find Bayern, ManU and Liverpool showed exceptional quality in their quarterfinal first leg outings? What about Sporting Lisbon after they played Bayern in the round before?

It is all a matter of personal choice, but for me, the very best the international game has to offer still trumps the best club football has to offer all around. But sticking to quality...its the same high level when you compare best with the best.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 04:00:55 PM »
Barca were awesome yesterday.

Their willingness to work off the ball to regain posession when lost is the hallmark of ALL great teams.  EVERYBODY puts in their shift.  No passengers.  That to me is the most impressive part of their game.

When they have the ball, they're a joy to watch....but watch them when they don't have the ball.  Very impressive.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »

Their willingness to work off the ball to regain posession when lost is the hallmark of ALL great teams.  EVERYBODY puts in their shift.  No passengers.  That to me is the most impressive part of their game.

When they have the ball, they're a joy to watch....but watch them when they don't have the ball.  Very impressive.

good talk

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 04:06:57 PM »

good talk

I see Henry run back and put in 2 best tackles in the 1st half. I thought it was Yaya!!
I bawl out BLADE, when I look I see the No.14 galloping away with the ball.

Més que un club.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »

good talk

That is something with ALL of our teams that I have seen to date, club and national.  We appear to the point of being clueless regarding what to do when we don't have the ball.  Buh watch.....is REAL hard work dat call for yuh know.  men watchin Messi, Eto'o & Henry and marvelin at dey skills.  But watch dem when de oddah team have de ball.  Better yet....watch Iniesta and Xavi.  Dem 2 is forkane BEAST!  But silky smooth wit it.

We were forced to compensate for that weakness in Germany 2006 by basically concentrating solely on defending.  WHen we got the ball, it didn't really matter how much offence we created because we weren't going to create much in the first place.  We would depend on dead ball situations and the individual athleticism of some of our players to generate any offence rather than any cohesive display.  Why?  Because our main focus was to stay disciplined.  Don't lose shape and keep that as the primary goal.  Which is why we were fairly difficult to breakdown in Germany.

The only other time I remember seeing us really put pressure on the opposition when they had the ball, close down the space,  and work hard to regain possession was when we played Mexico in the Gold Cup in 2001 (ah think it was) under Bertille.  We lost 4-0 that day, but it was a game where we could have even won the game had a few breaks gone our way.  Talkin bout breaks, that was the game where Ronnie Mauge broke his leg.  But I doh remember seein a T&T team at any level playin like that before.  Sadly...never seen it again...although Germany was similar except for the offence.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 04:16:31 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »
its called coaching palos ( AKA known as Organization)
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 04:59:28 PM »
I saw a game between Shaktar Donesk and Olym. Marseille. Good game and great skill. Both team have lots of foreigner. Africans, Brazilians, Eastern Euros. The russians won 2-0. They may have a tough tim for the 2nd leg.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 05:00:31 PM »

good one

???
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »

oooooohhhhh guuuuuuddddd!!!!!!........remind mih not ask yuh for the lotto numbers.... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>