April 27, 2024, 12:51:21 PM

Author Topic: Gold Cup-out.  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Gold Cup-out.
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:53:38 AM »
Gold Cup-out.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Two-time Colombian World Cup coach, Francisco Maturana, is the first Trinidad and Tobago national coach who failed to get the “Soca Warriors” to the Caribbean Cup knock out stage after the weekend’s early elimination in Jamaica.

The country’s dismal showing at the 2006 Digicel Caribbean Cup actually marks the third time that Trinidad and Tobago failed to win a place in the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Everald “Gally” Cummings (1993)

Cummings was hastily returned to the position of head coach after the national team were eliminated by Jamaica in the Caribbean phase of the 1994 World Cup qualifiers. Aston Villa player Dwight Yorke was the sole overseas-based player and the spearhead of a young team that included the teenaged Arnold Dwarika and Dwayne Demming.

However, Yorke tore his hamstring and was ruled out as Trinidad and Tobago limped into the semi-finals only to be defeated 3-0 by hosts Jamaica. Cummings’ squad beat St Kitts and Nevis for bronze though.

Hannibal Najjar (2003)

Najjar promised to spark an influx of revenue from Trinidad and Tobago’s business sector and was promptly installed as national coach. However, just three months into his reign, 19 players—including Kelvin Jack, Brent Sancho, Cyd Gray, Cornell Glen, Keyeno Thomas, Gary Glasgow and Lyndon Andrews—walked out of a training session citing poor conditions and were promptly “blacklisted”.

The T&TFF offered a reprieve to the players for the Gold Cup qualifiers, two months later, but Najjar selected a squad of foreign-based players and soldiers instead and was eliminated by Cuba.

Francisco Maturana (2006)

The Colombian was not hampered by a blacklist while momentum seemed to be the side of the “Soca Warriors” after they booked a spot in the final phase of the 2006 World Cup qualifying campaign.

However, there were still doubts about several players selected on his squad and even more concerns about those left off it. There seemed to be uncertainty within the team’s ranks too as Maturana made six changes to his line-up after their opening defeat to Grenada and five more after their second match when they edged Barbados.

A draw to Jamaica saw the “Soca Warriors”, who were World Cup participants just two years earlier, fail to advance to the Caribbean Cup semi-final stage although Maturana had five foreign-based players and as many Germany 2006 members within his ranks.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Not to sure.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 05:15:11 AM »
Having read nearly all the posts on our exit of the Digicel Cup,It appears that most people are blaming team selection,noting the fact that we were playing with a virtual local team.We lost against Grenada and that should tell us without doubt that we played rubbish and a coach should not be faulted for that,nine out of ten times that same team would beat Grenada even if meh mooma was coach.It is understandable that coaches take some of the blame but not all,didnt the same team beat Bim, and most creditable of all a draw with Jamaica who were missing about 3 top players, but all the same, had the neucleus of the side that was used in WC matches.Maturana is a brave man and should be commended for trying players with an eye for the future,we never had a big pool and trying new players can only strengthen his hand for future matches.I hope very much that we dont suffer any injuries to top players, but if it were to happen we wont be in the dark about who is the best at hand..as replacement.This is only a minor setback but one that may serve us better, in that,it would give our foreign players a well earned rest from a difficult British season.We have suffered serious injuries before in the GC and we are all aware of that,these fellas in my opinion should be kept away from serious competition bcoz we have "BIGGER FISH TO FRY",as much as the GC might have been good for the local squad there is always the chance of injuries to our foreign players.On this ocassion I feel the GC would be a distraction,we need 11 of our best and a kick start against El Sal with 3 points.Jamaica,Cuba,Guadeloupe etc have nothing to lose,we would have to play with one eye on the Hex if we were there,in a way I am not to unhappy that we are out.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
Re: Not to sure.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:18:54 AM »
sense...
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »
Having read nearly all the posts on our exit of the Digicel Cup,It appears that most people are blaming team selection,noting the fact that we were playing with a virtual local team.We lost against Grenada and that should tell us without doubt that we played rubbish and a coach should not be faulted for that,nine out of ten times that same team would beat Grenada even if meh mooma was coach.It is understandable that coaches take some of the blame but not all,didnt the same team beat Bim, and most creditable of all a draw with Jamaica who were missing about 3 top players, but all the same, had the neucleus of the side that was used in WC matches.Maturana is a brave man and should be commended for trying players with an eye for the future,we never had a big pool and trying new players can only strengthen his hand for future matches.I hope very much that we dont suffer any injuries to top players, but if it were to happen we wont be in the dark about who is the best at hand..as replacement.This is only a minor setback but one that may serve us better, in that,it would give our foreign players a well earned rest from a difficult British season.We have suffered serious injuries before in the GC and we are all aware of that,these fellas in my opinion should be kept away from serious competition bcoz we have "BIGGER FISH TO FRY",as much as the GC might have been good for the local squad there is always the chance of injuries to our foreign players.On this ocassion I feel the GC would be a distraction,we need 11 of our best and a kick start against El Sal with 3 points.Jamaica,Cuba,Guadeloupe etc have nothing to lose,we would have to play with one eye on the Hex if we were there,in a way I am not to unhappy that we are out.

How is the Gold Cup a distraction? It is is currently scheduled for July 2009 which would be after an away WCQ to Mexico on June 10th and before a home WCQ against El Salvador on August 12th. Don't you think it would have provided us with much needed high level CONCACAF opposition? Don't you think it would help in our preparation for the second half of the Hex? While our neighbours would be engaged in competition, what would we be doing, just resting/training and watching de games on TV? Is that really preferable? You talk bout injuries, but man does get injured right in training, so should we stop training too?

So in your eyes T&T has an advantage over the other hexagonal teams who would be participating in de Gold Cup?

On another note, I don't see what is so "brave" about Maturana's "trying" of players.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gold Cup-out.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:03:49 AM »
Chupss....Tallman wha wrong wid u....we in de Hex!!....who de hell have time for inconsequential tournaments like the Gold Cup??...as a matter of fact, we should just stop taking part from here on and concentrate on making the World Cup every 4 years.... ::) ::)

Yuh know wha killing me? The lengths to which men going to defend this make believe coach....all of a sudden Gold Cup is an inconsequential tournament!!....steupsss

All hail the Corbeaux!!... :notworthy:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 06:18:41 AM »

maturana aint try no new players doh fool yuh self
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »
Due respect to you Tallman but my main point was that we should be concentrating on just the WC qualifiers and nothing else apart from club matches.I do not think that any other Football Federation in the world has to play a major competition that clashes with WC matches,you can correct me if I'm wrong,even if I am 'I still feel we cannot afford one major injury bcoz our pool is very small.Remember Norieaga and Mauge?I am sure there were more but not so serious.I still say the GC would have intefered with the bigger prize...qualification for 2010 SA.In the meantime let us all be happy for reaching the Hex and let Jamaica and Grenada enjoy their moment of glory,we still await glory of a bigger kind.Have a nice Christmas and a Happy 2009.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 07:22:47 AM »
I do not think that any other Football Federation in the world has to play a major competition that clashes with WC matches,you can correct me if I'm wrong,even if I am 'I still feel we cannot afford one major injury bcoz our pool is very small.

What about the FIFA Confederations Cup which includes some teams from ALL Confederations and takes place from June 14-28?  Some WCQ matches were even rescheduled to accomodate some teams' participation in the tournament.   I suppose the US should pull out of their matches against Brazil and Italy because it "clashes" with their WCQ matches and there is risk of injury?   ::) 

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »
Due respect to you Tallman but my main point was that we should be concentrating on just the WC qualifiers and nothing else apart from club matches.I do not think that any other Football Federation in the world has to play a major competition that clashes with WC matches,you can correct me if I'm wrong,even if I am 'I still feel we cannot afford one major injury bcoz our pool is very small.Remember Norieaga and Mauge?I am sure there were more but not so serious.I still say the GC would have intefered with the bigger prize...qualification for 2010 SA.In the meantime let us all be happy for reaching the Hex and let Jamaica and Grenada enjoy their moment of glory,we still await glory of a bigger kind.Have a nice Christmas and a Happy 2009.

distraction u say,
what about get a chance to feel out the very same opposition that we face in the hex,

knowing what they may have in store for us and how we can counter it,

how about maintaining the the match fitness that is sorely lacking, especially for the players that are on the team despite not having a club.

The ability to gather first hand information on the way any of these teams would approach us in the hex, thus allowing us to have some semblance of a plan...........hmmmm

need I also remind u that this would have given the core nucleus of the hex team a chance to work with the digicel team, did u not notice that after the US game that the "experiments" were subdued and some cohesion allowed to take hold........if only by force.

does it not occur to U..........sir, that those same restrictions might have been put in place for the gold cup thus allowing for further cohesion within that core.

guess not huh............... idiot!
I pity the fool....

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 08:36:51 AM »
for me, living on the outside looking in... I think that we could use that time wisely to prepare for the WCQ games... we could actually consider taking on European and South American teams who (unlike us) are not playing WCQ games and improve our brand...

we must see this development as an opportunity to grow, whether or not the dumbtist is coach or not...

I don't know if people really looking at 2014 as a case for automatic qualification, but every game and every chance we get to play quality opposition helps our cause win, lose or draw... We can only learn.

So, while de rest of dem fighting up for some sort of small time glory, in what is a competition between Mexico and the Yanks, we could be blooding players who REALLY want to play the Corbeaux Brand...

Where is Colin Samuel?... His experience is crucial... Silvio could get some serious minutes during that time too... a natural transition to Latapy's leadership is obvious, with Dwight pulling the strings on the pitch, transferring experience to the young starlets along the way... we have worked too hard to build a reputation for quality, these situations present themselves, because we are growing as a football playing nation...

Let Grenada and B'dos fight up dey, dem never play no World Cup... As for J'ca they still trying to fill Trelawney to get the monkey that is failing to reach the Hex off dey back... 

We could do this, we just need to realise that sometimes it's not how good you are, but how bad you want it...

just my 2 cents...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 08:59:25 AM »
for me, living on the outside looking in... I think that we could use that time wisely to prepare for the WCQ games... we could actually consider taking on European and South American teams who (unlike us) are not playing WCQ games and improve our brand
Like who? All dem South American and European sides involved in WCQs.

Where is Colin Samuel?... His experience is crucial... Silvio could get some serious minutes during that time too...
What crucial experience does Collin Samuel bring? Why should Spann be getting minutes when he rarely even makes the bench for a Conference side?

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 09:37:15 AM »

If we had qualified for the Gold Cup would you have felt the same way.  Everything yuh write sound like a case of sour grapes to me.  There is no way that not making the Gold Cup could be more beneficial than if we had qualified.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »

Some very good points made here.

The GC is an expensive outing and even if you win it the $150,000.00 prize money does not even come close to the expenses necessary to compete in this tournament. You also have to consider the fatigue factor. WC qualification in June means very little rest for players after their club season. Then GC in July and qualification games in August (when clubs start back). Remember what happened to Panama after GC 2005! This has the potential to be a very similar situation
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »

Some very good points made here.

The GC is an expensive outing and even if you win it the $150,000.00 prize money does not even come close to the expenses necessary to compete in this tournament. You also have to consider the fatigue factor. WC qualification in June means very little rest for players after their club season. Then GC in July and qualification games in August (when clubs start back). Remember what happened to Panama after GC 2005! This has the potential to be a very similar situation

Unless tings change, I doh tink we have to worry about player burn out  because de only foreign-based players who playing consistently for dey clubs are Jason Scotland and Darryl Roberts. By consistently, I mean playing full or close to full games for the first team. I eh see no ill effects when we play in 2005 and neither 2000. Me eh see it hamper de other teams. De case of Panama may not have anyting to do with whether or not dey participated in de tournament. They may have just been overachieving and couldn't produce their previous performances.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
for me, living on the outside looking in... I think that we could use that time wisely to prepare for the WCQ games... we could actually consider taking on European and South American teams who (unlike us) are not playing WCQ games and improve our brand

Where is Colin Samuel?... His experience is crucial... Silvio could get some serious minutes during that time too...
What crucial experience does Collin Samuel bring? Why should Spann be getting minutes when he rarely even makes the bench for a Conference side?

If you could name someone else with more penetration and creativity on the left, then I will listen... until then (with respect) relax for a bit... given the time frame every one of those European/South American teams would love a warm up fixture, and unlike JA we have a qualifying competition to look forward to...

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 10:26:53 AM »
If you could name someone else with more penetration and creativity on the left, then I will listen... until then (with respect) relax for a bit... given the time frame every one of those European/South American teams would love a warm up fixture, and unlike JA we have a qualifying competition to look forward to...

Is Colin Samuel a left winger?  Does he play there for his club?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 10:30:10 AM »

kevon neeves could play on the left wing
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »

kevon neeves could play on the left wing

possibly... and that is just my point... we can use this time properly...

don't ya just hate it when people want to jump down yuh throat?...

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 10:37:48 AM »

Is Colin Samuel a left winger?  Does he play there for his club?

The question should really be have you seen anyone else play/perform there better for T&T?...

his versatility is unbelievable... he will deliver...

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 10:50:01 AM »
I have to agree with Tallman on this one. Frico, I understand your point, but there is never an acceptable substitute for match fitness and, on the basis of the dismal showing of our local team at the Digicel Cup, this team needs as much matches under its belt in order to gel as a cohesive unit.

We cannot always rely on our foreign-based to rescue us and Yorke and Latapy, although in superb shape, do not have the legs to run with the twenty-somethings anymore.

So, I think the Gold Cup would have certainly helped more than hurt us.

We certainly needed to play in that tournament more than Grenada and Jamaica, due to the fact that we DO have bigger fish to fry and need match practice.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 10:56:39 AM »
I have to agree with Tallman on this one. Frico, I understand your point, but there is never an acceptable substitute for match fitness and, on the basis of the dismal showing of our local team at the Digicel Cup, this team needs as much matches under its belt in order to gel as a cohesive unit.

We cannot always rely on our foreign-based to rescue us and Yorke and Latapy, although in superb shape, do not have the legs to run with the twenty-somethings anymore.

We certainly needed to play in that tournament more than Grenada and Jamaica, due to the fact that we DO have bigger fish to fry and need match practice.

preach on brother!
thank you
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 11:41:37 AM »

Yuh serious??....those games would have helped us gell together??!!!  :o....wow, what a revelation... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:57 AM »

preach on brother!
thank you

not only that but the gold cup is good exposure for our players. club teams will be looking at these games for talent.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »

As much as I like to see my countrymen do well, Collin Samuel has not been in any kind of scintillating form since he was at Falkirk. For the national team he has only sporadically shown these penetrative runs yuh talking bout. For some reason I feel you still stuck on his performance against Iceland. Me eh denying dat he have ability, but I just haven't seen any sort of consistency from him on the national or club front in the last 5 years.

Yes, every one of those European/South American teams would love a warm up fixture, but why against us? How would we help them in their qualifying campaign? I eh saying it impossible to get a match with one ah dem, but I eh tink dey go be necessarily banging down de door to play us.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 12:04:21 PM »
Yes, every one of those European/South American teams would love a warm up fixture, but why against us? How would we help them in their qualifying campaign? I eh saying it impossible to get a match with one ah dem, but I eh tink dey go be necessarily banging down de door to play us.

From what I've been told, every national team only too happy to play practice matches.  Some will even pay for arrangements like airfare, accomodations, meals, transportation etc...it's that important to them to get the practice.  I don't believe it is a matter of those teams lack of desire to play us because of our ranking or anything like that.  More likely it's our lack of professionalism and apparent exorbitant "appearance fees" that discourage them.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »

From what I've been told, every national team only too happy to play practice matches.  Some will even pay for arrangements like airfare, accomodations, meals, transportation etc...it's that important to them to get the practice.  I don't believe it is a matter of those teams lack of desire to play us because of our ranking or anything like that.  More likely it's our lack of professionalism and apparent exorbitant "appearance fees" that discourage them.

But I think that in a case like WCQs, a team would like to play against specific types of teams in order to prepare them for that tournament. Just like how we chose specific teams prior to WC 2006.

Our lack or professionalism? Surely you jest.  :devil:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 12:34:21 PM »
But I think that in a case like WCQs, a team would like to play against specific types of teams in order to prepare them for that tournament. Just like how we chose specific teams prior to WC 2006.

Our lack or professionalism? Surely you jest.  :devil:

If it was a case where say Venezuela lookin for a practice match and is a choice between Holland and T&T...Holland would get the nod everytime.  But if the choice was between Scotland and T&T....dat wouldn't necessarily be a slam dunk decision.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 12:36:40 PM »
kalliman 2006 what about friendlies,surely we can get some and it wont be as intensive as the GC where injuries are waiting to happen.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 12:40:29 PM »
kalliman 2006 what about friendlies,surely we can get some and it wont be as intensive as the GC where injuries are waiting to happen.

Yuh could get injured anytime, anywhere.

Kenwyne Jones was injured in a friendly no? 

Fear of injury is not a plausible excuse bro.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 01:43:05 PM »

And so does USA ,MEX ,HUN ,and TICO'S and they will be all there along with JA and Grenada! so what say you bro.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:46:06 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

1]; } ?>