April 27, 2024, 10:57:27 AM

Author Topic: GUEST APPEARANCE - by Anthony Sherwood  (Read 10128 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
GUEST APPEARANCE - by Anthony Sherwood
« on: December 09, 2008, 11:22:35 PM »
GUEST APPEARANCE - by Anthony Sherwood
by: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF Media).

Former National Youth Team great Anthony Sherwood was a major attraction for fans in the 1980s and early 1990s. Coming out of Point Fortin, Sherwood was tipped for stardom beyond local shores having exhibited the attributes of a top class footballer, being rated right up there with current T&T captain Dwight Yorke.

He was also part of that famous 4-2 victory over Brazil’s National Under 20 team in Port of Spain. He played the full 90 in  T&T's 2-0 loss to Australia at the 1991 FIFA World Youth Cup in Portugal, another full 90 in the 6-0 loss to Egypt and then 57 minutes in the 4-0 loss to the Soviet Union.

Away from the local game, "Shirley" has continued to keep a firm interest in the sport both at home and in the United States where he now resides. He shares his views and tells us about his many experiences as a player. He even talks about advice received from his all-time favourite Russell Latapy. For many Anthony Sherwood is one of the last legends of T&T Youth  Football.

Tell us about your past. When and where did you start playing the game. Your years at Presentation College San Fernando. Who was the first coach to bring you into a National Team?

Well I grew up in the deep south – Point Fortin to be exact, and it was the place that truly provided me with an environment and opportunity to play the game. As I look back, I’m happy that my folks  were based in Point Fortin, because had I grown up in the area in San Fernando where they currently reside, I most certainly would not have been as passionate about the game. Going to Presentation College though, was a monumentally life changing experience.  At “Pres,” I got a great educational experience,  an opportunity to play for a school that was very passionate about its football, and I made some really good friends. But the first coach to bring me to the National team was the late Carl Osborne…  he was also the man responsible for getting me into Presentation College.

Describe your experience with the National U-20 team from beginning to end. What was it like being part of a team that defeated Brazil.

My experience with the National U-20 team was filled with many highs and many lows. As a group of players, we made a massive commitment to seeing things through with the hopes of really setting that U-20 world Cup on fire. In fact, I think we were together for about a year in preparation for that tournament. We played so many games both in Trinidad and abroad. I recall playing against  teams such as Argentina in the River Plate Stadium in front of 60,000 against Uruguay in Montevideo, Aston Villa, Coventry, England, Mexico, Manchester United, Porto – these were the types of teams we were playing in preparation for Portugal.  And of-course, we played the Brazilian National team in Trinidad, it was a truly memorable night. As you know, we won that game 4-2 and truthfully - we could have won by more goals, or could have lost by 4 goals – it was a very exciting spectacle of football that night in the Stadium.  The magnitude of the support that night was amazing.

What was it like, looking back now, to play alongside to likes of a Dwight Yorke.

Playing alongside Dwight was great, I always admired the strength of his character. From a very early age, one could sense that he had a winning mentality and an amazing drive to succeed! The truth is, his upbringing in Tobago had alot to do with how driven he was to make it as a professional footballer. But I enjoyed playing with all my teammates. Players like Russell (Latapy) really amazed me on a daily basis with his extremely high level of skill and technique. He is by far the best I have seen in Trinidad and Tobago football.

Many compared you to Dwight, what is your take on that?

I think Dwight and I were somewhat similar in the sense that at a very young age, we were entertainers on the field. People always expected a certain type of flair and flash when we were on the ball, and thus, I think we stood out a bit as a result of that. Often times  we would talk about the players that we “destroyed” when we met up with the National Team, and it was an aspect of the game that everyone at that age took great pride in. In fact, at one of our training sessions – I remember jokingly boasting to Dwight and the boys that I was the first to execute  a “spanner”  that was nationally televised we all had a good laugh about it!  Interestingly enough, that occurred against Shaka Hislop and CIC in a National Intercol Semi-final. It’s forever captured on YouTube!  But we became different players eventually, I was always more of a center midfielder - and Dwight was becoming more of a pure striker.  In truth though, I don’t think I was really anywhere close to Dwight in terms of football ability.

How do you feel now seeing what Dwight and others have achieved from the game. Have you seen or kept in touch with any of these guys? Avery John etc

I’m actually really proud of what Dwight and some of our other players have achieved in the game. It’s refreshing to know that  we as a small Island of 1.5 million people have produced players who were at one point  captivating the world for a small moment in time. In fact, I’m proud of all of our sporting heroes  and their accomplishment.. .from Ato, to “Torpedo” Thompson, to Bovell, to Lara. What you must understand is that I’m a Trini to the bone, so I get chills when I see our athletes asserting themselves amongst the best on the planet! I still do maintain contact with many of my old teammates via Facebook, email, and the occasional phone call.

Do you agree that much of our local talent get lost in the US College system? Were you one of them?

Well like anywhere else you have very good football environments, and there are bad ones as well. Trinidadian players who are coming up to the States and attending these really small schools where the programs are not as developed, or where the competition is not as good - will certainly suffer. However, there are college programs here in the States, especially at the big schools that are very close to professional teams in terms of approach and preparation. Keep in mind that 95 percent of the players that play for the US National Team that Trinidad has encountered, and will continue to encounter - have played at many of the big Division I College programs here in the States. It’s also interesting to note that we sometimes struggle as a nation to compete with the US National Teams at both youth and senior levels.

But personally, I felt I became a better player after playing in the States. I certainly developed a better understanding of what it meant to be - not just a better footballer, but more importantly – a more effective footballer. I went into games, not just wanting to entertain with flash and flair, but I started analyzing what components were necessary  to make my team a better unit, a more competitive team. For the first time, I understood the concept of having a high work ethic, and what it meant to defend on the pitch. I left the States with the concept that being a better player sometimes means that being simple and consistent was in some cases, more important than how many players I “sent the wrong way.”

But many in the football fraternity, especially local coaches, felt that my game had suffered immensely having played in the States. When I returned to Trinidad, I was really committed to playing the game the right way - which meant that I was not doing things on the ball that people remembered of me.  Interestingly, my father once joked that it seemed that I lost allot of the flair that he was accustomed to seeing of me prior to going to the States – I think he felt that upon returning to Trinidad, I was not as good of a player. His assertion in my opinion  was somewhat symptomatic of all that is bad with many of the young players playing in Trinidad who, even today, have no real concept of what it means to be an effective footballer. But don’t get me wrong, we need entertainment and flair on the field, however, what I learnt in my time in the States, is that there is a certain time and place for it on the pitch.

Really, why did you stop playing the game? Did you have aspirations to keep going? Do you think about getting involved again even today?

I stopped playing the game in Trinidad because I ultimately came to the realization that pretty much all of my successes, or good fortune off the field - were intrinsically connected to my accomplishments  on the field… that is the reality of a footballer’s life.  But what it meant for me at that time was that as long as I remained in the lime- light of football - life was excellent. But as is often the case with such a predicament, life becomes something of a roller coaster.  I got fed up of it to be honest and decided that it was just not good enough, especially as I was getting older.  I also recall having a conversation with Russell and it really changed my view on everything pertaining to being a national footballer…he made a lot of sense to me that day.

However, I do plan on coming back home very soon, but I also plan on bringing a team that I have coached for a number of years here in the States to play a few games in Trinidad. it’s an excellent youth team that consists of players that I have coached since they were extremely young.  They have all developed into tremendous players with one in particular who is now on the US National U20 team as an 18 year old! What I really hope to demonstrate to the football movers and shakers at home is an example of what can be achieved with the implementation of a serious developmental program. What these folks will see is an Under 18 American soccer team that moves the ball incredibly fast, incorporating  nonstop movement off the ball. But equally as important- they will see a young team that implements the concept - excellent shape and organization with a very high work rate to win it back once we do not have possession of the ball….they play a wonderful brand of football!  My hope as I said, is that  it will give folks the opportunity to see that real progress can be made in our football if we commit ourselves to investing into the development of our young players.   

How did you feel about the success of Germany 2006. And what do you think of the team's chances of making it to 2010.

I was over the top with joy and pride at our performance in Germany! I thought the players were all inspiring and painted such a positive light on Trinidad and Tobago. The effort and determination that they showed  that summer was really amazing! As for 2010, I think we have a very good chance of qualifying. I really hope that Russell Latapy can sustain his fitness throughout the course of next year because he seems to be one of the few players that can still unlock good defenses with his passing and vision! Sadly, I think that our success - even at this late stage, depends so heavily on the much older players. It’s incredible that we have not been able to produce a generation in Trinidad football that can fill the boots of our most senior players. If our coach can get us to defend more cohesively and with a bit of consistency, then we have a great chance. The current squad is a team that has created goal scoring opportunities in most of the qualifiers that I have seen thus far.

What would you like to see done to get local youth football back to the heights of what it used to be … the Colleges League.

As I mentioned above, it takes  time and commitment to develop players properly, more than anything else though - we have to instill and cement into very young players what I believe - is a WINNING MENTALITY, especially those playing on the national youth teams.  I also believe  that we have to expect more accountability of those in charge of implementing and executing any developmental programs.  In other words, if we want the football association, or rather Mr.  Jack Warner to fund these programs – you have got to provide evidence that progress is being made.  You’ve  got to provide benchmarks and show that your teams  are meeting and exceeding  the standards set forth. If not - then you’re wasting time and money. The truth is –this is the way things are done in football up here where I coach…the players at my club pay massive fees to be part of our set-up, and naturally, there are extraordinarily high expectations that are placed on me as a coach to produce very good footballers. And quite frankly I relish this challenge! 

When last have you attended a local College game and if you have, how would you compare the years now as to when you played, the standard, the rivalries and the buzz at the venues.

It’s been years since I last attended a College game at home and from what I am told by one or two of the coaches who are involved with College teams – the standard is not what it once was. The fact is, when I played in the College’s league, I don’t believe that the standards of the games were that exceptionally high.  As I look back though what was significantly different was the magnitude of the support for teams in the Colleges League, in particular Presentation College. Back then there were true die hard supporters! I think in looking at the big picture… we really do not have true Trinidad and Tobago football supporters! What we have today is what I refer to as the “Bandwagonist.”

Football today in Trinidad has become more of a “lime”- an occasion and an event for people to be seen. You will find, for instances, that games involving our national team is now a social event that people are invited too via Facebook….it’s not fans who are showing up because they want to be there through thick and thin supporting their footballers.  Take the Minister of Sport for instance, (and keep in mind Shaun I have absolutely no political affiliations whatsoever!) Now I ask you…… would our Minister of Sport attend a game involving Trinidad and Tobago versus Antigua? Would he be requesting all these complementary tickets and parking passes for such a low profile game involving our National Team – the answer is probably no! However, I am quite certain that if we were somehow going to be matched up against Brazil or Germany in the near future, those who handle ticket allocations in the Federation, would be no doubt - inundated with requests for special concessions by our Minister of Sport and his colleagues. So again,  it’s really a "bandwagonist" mentality that I see of football supporters as a whole in Trinidad and Tobago – we are only seemingly interested in these massive occasions.

But what I can tell you is that players on the National Team would certainly appreciate the fan support even against some of the lesser regarded teams that our players will no doubt encounter. Accordingly, I often tell my friends at home, the ones who only attend these massive games involving the national team-that the high ticket prices set forth is the price you pay for being a partial football fan......it's something they should not really be complaining about. Needless to say, I get allot of stick!

But understand that today Shaun, like it was years ago when I played football at home - there are those die hard supporters who exist – there are those fans who show up even when we play against Antigua, and those are the supporters that should pay a significantly reduced price for tickets when the National Team is playing big games against England and Cuba (as was the case recently.) These are the true "die-hards" who should be able to present their ticket stubs for all the smaller games that they attended, and these are the fans that the Federation should reward with lower ticket prices – these are the true football fans of Trinidad and Tobago!

But getting back to the original point, for me personally - other than beating Brazil in Trinidad…….. there was no experience that compared to playing big games with Presentation College in those days In fact, my last game in the College’s league was against St. Benedicts College in Skinner Park. If I recall correctly, supporters were overflowing onto the field due to the sheer size of the crowd that evening We lost game that game, but the memory of it stays with me every time I run into a Saint Benedict’s supporter! Actually, my good friend Ashford Jackman, provided me with a video-tape highlighting the chronology of Presentation College’s rise up the ladder of College football supremacy back then, and I really thank him for that!

Tony it’s lovely that you speak so passionately up to now about so many aspects of the football and Presentation College. On that note, do you think it’s necessary to have more persons like a Brother Michael heavily involved in the College system. Should there be a definite alliance with local clubs?

Most definitely, Brother Michael is a fantastic administrator and thus would bring so much experience and knowledge to any organization. You don’t become the principal of a school like Presentation College unless you possess qualifications of the highest order. 

Accordingly, if any alliances with local clubs solidifies and improves the quality of football, and can serve as a means of improving our young footballers, then I am all for it.

Would you like to see Skinner Park become a prime football venue again? Why?

Very much so!  Football in Skinner Park is one of the reasons we got such massive crowds in the south. Its location in San Fernando provided such easy access to everyone from all areas.  As I mentioned there was nothing quite like the experience of playing an Intercol South zone final in Skinner Park, the venue leant itself to an extraordinary atmosphere!

I agree fully with your take there on the feeling of a South Zone final in the “Park” Finally What is Anthony Sherwood doing today?

Well today I’m a member of the Admission’s Committee of the University that I attended here in the States. Incidentally, one of my goals in the very near future is to look into providing more opportunities to students from Trinidad to study at our institution – we have now become the biggest University in Virginia and I would really like to explore how we can provide more financial assistance to student from Trinidad. I certainly never in envisioned that I would be making a living working in Higher Education and my classmates  at school back at home could appreciate the irony in that. But this as they say  it would be my 9-5, but my passion of  course  continues to be the work that I do on the football pitch – my coaching. It’s something that I work tremendously hard at and I take that responsibility very seriously!

Shaun, I want to thank you on behalf of many of the die-hard football supports here in the States who really appreciate the effort you make in keeping us in touch with the developments of football back home. Keep it coming!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:24:28 PM by E-man »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: GUEST APPEARANCE - by Anthony Sherwood
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 11:27:58 PM »
I did real like dat yute. Flex d best form of flatterey is imitation.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »
yeah that was a BOMB squad (in that pic)!!  them was the days when dem fellas was in the college's league (or maybe it just stick in my head cuz that was my first exposure to that level of football?)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 12:24:17 AM »
yeah that was a BOMB squad (in that pic)!!  them was the days when dem fellas was in the college's league (or maybe it just stick in my head cuz that was my first exposure to that level of football?)
where Kerwin Emanuel.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 05:30:14 AM »
good read
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:51:34 AM »
nice interview..so btw he saying he was ah 'import' to Pres?  :devil:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 06:20:30 AM »
wow Sherwood.... what a touch of class that guy was...he mention  few thing in his interview that kids lack here in T&T...IT seem the standard of football from primary, inter-col to national level is falling fast

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 06:29:23 AM »

Hmmm...ah wonder if Leonson was in Naps from de get go?  :devil:
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:57:34 AM »
Hıs reasons for leavıng football were a bit ambiguous.

What really happen? Was it an injury?

That was truly an amazing array of talent on the 1990 team.

What ever happened to D. Pacheco?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:13:51 AM »
Plenty memories from Skinner Park with this man..

big player from the South Land....Seems to accept his role as a coach...

T&T Coach one day maybe ??
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »
where Kerwin Emanuel.

Drunk in Houston.....just kidding... That is ah good question. 
Arimian to meh heart

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:49:32 AM »
Some VERY important points made by Sherwood here in this article.

The most telling of all for me is the "conflict" between what is considered to be a good player in T&T and what is cionsidered to be a good player abroad.

In T&T, as Sherwood found out, when yuh could hit somebody a spanner or send dem de wrong way and have flair, yuh good.  No if's, and's or but's about it.  There is scant regard for the "dirty work" type player, or a player who keeps things simple.  It's one reason why a fairly mediocre footballer can be an automatic pick in midfield in our national team.  A great part of why Christopher Birchall is so beloved because he stands out in many more ways than one.  We simply don't have players that overtly exhibit his type of commitment and qualities.  It's not our footballing culture.  And if there were one, that player would more than likely be ignored and left to his devices, would hardly be picked on a starting XI etc because he cyah fan a man.

It's fascinating to read Sherwood's own interpretation of his ability.  One where he seems to have embraced the "less is more" theory.  Yet, his own father & local coaches said he wasn't as good when he came back because the flair was missing from his game.  I certainly felt he was not the same player but I put it down to the broken leg he had just before embarking on a trial abroad.  I see now that it wasn't that at all.  It was just that Sherwood had matured from a footballing perspective whereas I as a football fan hadn't.  I was looking for the spanners etc that made him this BIG player IN MY MIND.  His idea of a BIG PLAYER was a more complete, TEAM focused individual who would use his unique gifts in the "right" situation.  These 2 passages resonated with me in particular..

But personally, I felt I became a better player after playing in the States. I certainly developed a better understanding of what it meant to be - not just a better footballer, but more importantly – a more effective footballer. I went into games, not just wanting to entertain with flash and flair, but I started analyzing what components were necessary  to make my team a better unit, a more competitive team. For the first time, I understood the concept of having a high work ethic, and what it meant to defend on the pitch. I left the States with the concept that being a better player sometimes means that being simple and consistent was in some cases, more important than how many players I “sent the wrong way.”

But many in the football fraternity, especially local coaches, felt that my game had suffered immensely having played in the States. When I returned to Trinidad, I was really committed to playing the game the right way - which meant that I was not doing things on the ball that people remembered of me.  Interestingly, my father once joked that it seemed that I lost allot of the flair that he was accustomed to seeing of me prior to going to the States – I think he felt that upon returning to Trinidad, I was not as good of a player. His assertion in my opinion  was somewhat symptomatic of all that is bad with many of the young players playing in Trinidad who, even today, have no real concept of what it means to be an effective footballer. But don’t get me wrong, we need entertainment and flair on the field, however, what I learnt in my time in the States, is that there is a certain time and place for it on the pitch.

His focus on DEVELOPMENT as a coach is also important.  The team that he has nurtured to this point emphasizes a certain skill set that is somewhat alien to us here in T&T.  Moving the ball very fast, fast off the ball running, organization, shape and working hard to win back the ball once it's lost.  These are things that are coached at a young age.  They're not coached at a national team level...at any age group far less a senior men's team.  By the time you get to that level, that should be already ingrained in the player.  Our coaching lets us down seriously in T&T.  And it doesn't help when former "stars" feel dey entitled to a wuk because they were former "stars".  They don't want to get the coaching certificates, the licences, attend the seminars etc because "we have our own unique style".  Yes we should embrace "our unique style" whatever that is, but not to the detriment of the fundamentals and basic disciplines of the game because when we don't, we lose.  Dat simple.

Anyway..thank you Anthony Sherwood for the memories and your very insightful thoughts in this interview and thank you Shaun Fuentes for bringing it to us.  Great questions! :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:03:43 AM »
Ah boy memories yes...

That soldier was good, I was there in the game they break he foot in the stadium, I ent think he ever recover from dat.

Even though that squad ent score a goal in the WC they were entertaining to watch and knock a good brand.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:07:13 AM »

The most telling of all for me is the "conflict" between what is considered to be a good player in T&T and what is cionsidered to be a good player abroad.

In T&T, as Sherwood found out, when yuh could hit somebody a spanner or send dem de wrong way and have flair, yuh good.  No if's, and's or but's about it.  There is scant regard for the "dirty work" type player, or a player who keeps things simple.  It's one reason why a fairly mediocre footballer can be an automatic pick in midfield in our national team.  A great part of why Christopher Birchall is so beloved because he stands out in many more ways than one.  We simply don't have players that overtly exhibit his type of commitment and qualities.  It's not our footballing culture.  And if there were one, that player would more than likely be ignored and left to his devices, would hardly be picked on a starting XI etc because he cyah fan a man.

It's fascinating to read Sherwood's own interpretation of his ability.  One where he seems to have embraced the "less is more" theory.  Yet, his own father & local coaches said he wasn't as good when he came back because the flair was missing from his game.  I certainly felt he was not the same player but I put it down to the broken leg he had just before embarking on a trial abroad.  I see now that it wasn't that at all.  It was just that Sherwood had matured from a footballing perspective whereas I as a football fan hadn't.  I was looking for the spanners etc that made him this BIG player IN MY MIND.  His idea of a BIG PLAYER was a more complete, TEAM focused individual who would use his unique gifts in the "right" situation.  These 2 passages resonated with me in particular..

But personally, I felt I became a better player after playing in the States. I certainly developed a better understanding of what it meant to be - not just a better footballer, but more importantly – a more effective footballer. I went into games, not just wanting to entertain with flash and flair, but I started analyzing what components were necessary  to make my team a better unit, a more competitive team. For the first time, I understood the concept of having a high work ethic, and what it meant to defend on the pitch. I left the States with the concept that being a better player sometimes means that being simple and consistent was in some cases, more important than how many players I “sent the wrong way.”

But many in the football fraternity, especially local coaches, felt that my game had suffered immensely having played in the States. When I returned to Trinidad, I was really committed to playing the game the right way - which meant that I was not doing things on the ball that people remembered of me.  Interestingly, my father once joked that it seemed that I lost allot of the flair that he was accustomed to seeing of me prior to going to the States – I think he felt that upon returning to Trinidad, I was not as good of a player. His assertion in my opinion  was somewhat symptomatic of all that is bad with many of the young players playing in Trinidad who, even today, have no real concept of what it means to be an effective footballer. But don’t get me wrong, we need entertainment and flair on the field, however, what I learnt in my time in the States, is that there is a certain time and place for it on the pitch.

His focus on DEVELOPMENT as a coach is also important.  The team that he has nurtured to this point emphasizes a certain skill set that is somewhat alien to us here in T&T.  Moving the ball very fast, fast off the ball running, organization, shape and working hard to win back the ball once it's lost.  These are things that are coached at a young age.  They're not coached at a national team level...at any age group far less a senior men's team.  By the time you get to that level, that should be already ingrained in the player.  Our coaching lets us down seriously in T&T.  And it doesn't help when former "stars" feel dey entitled to a wuk because they were former "stars".  They don't want to get the coaching certificates, the licences, attend the seminars etc because "we have our own unique style".  Yes we should embrace "our unique style" whatever that is, but not to the detriment of the fundamentals and basic disciplines of the game because when we don't, we lose.  Dat simple.

Anyway..thank you Anthony Sherwood for the memories and your very insightful thoughts in this interview and thank you Shaun Fuentes for bringing it to us.  Great questions! :beermug:

Palos i cudnt agree with u more!!! people always wonder why a T&T team finds it so hard to beat the states...and thats exactly why!!! the shape, off the ball movements...shit the mere discipline and committment during the game and the physical fitness that they equipped themselves with is the biggest difference between us and them. and as sherwood said, not until we start developing our youths to understand that this is where the game is we would never be able to compete against teams like the US!  :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:11:26 AM »
Hıs reasons for leavıng football were a bit ambiguous.

What really happen? Was it an injury?

That was truly an amazing array of talent on the 1990 team.

What ever happened to D. Pacheco?

VB

I think I remember him breaking his leg and after that I haven't heard of him. I always wondered what happen to him.

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 08:20:32 AM »
I was fortunate enough to play with this general since he was 10 years old and already making south zone under-12 team, right up to colleges league, but one thing that must be said of "Chiney-boy", "Shirley", or whatever yuh want to call him was his passion for the game.

I can recall late in the evening running down the road to buy bread by Mr Brown's palour/laundry on the corner of the Southern Main Road and Cemetary Trace in Gonzales village down Guapo and hearing the sound of a ball banging on a wall downstairs by Sheerwood house....you know that was Chiney-boy practicing by himself....and that was a regular occurence.

Another early memory of Anthony was when we played together for Uriah Ball Players in the Guapo Minor League and then he was only about 14 years old and we were playing against grown men from different areas of Point Fortin. We were facing a side called Guapo Youths and they had two notorious bruisers in they defence one was about 6ft 4" name Churchill and the other was a fast hard tackler name Brown (similar to a Avery John), well Chiney collect a ball with he back to Churchill and turn put a spanner on the man that had the whole village bawlin, then Brown start to back (he never normally did that) and the crowd bawl again, and with that Chiney destroy he same way, but then he come back for a second dose and collect the same beat again ..you talk bout entertainment....memories...LMAO

What a talent indeed.....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
Great read, good interview, and especially mature and informative gentleman. Palos you synopses has always been the defining cases in our National program for me as well. For years I have ben saying the wrong ppl being selected. However, what is most surprising to me, even with the influx of many foreign coaches we still can't seem to get that right. Thus I am wondering if it boils down to the invitees(locals) to national training. I am not familiar with most, but it seems Wim through attendance of pro league games may have been the foreign Coach closest to recognizing those facts, and commented, tho negatively on it. I think his big issues were not his coaching ability, as much as his lack of diplomacy. Another foreign trained coach I myself had a few discussions with - though the man hardly knew me from Craig in Toronto Caribana - and I thought would have had an extended degree of successes was Gally - similar feelings to what Mr. Sherwood expressed. And with one bump in the roads, not that he fell off, but was thrown off the bus. Is he of the same mindset and drive today and can't say. At the time h didn't mention kaiso nuthen, but I believe the fanatism and demi-passion can push and misguide.
Thus Mr. Sherwood et al, it is easier to judge the depth of the hole and have a plan on filling it from outside, till yuh face the reality of falling in, and twisting yuh ankle and depnding on yuh assistants and employers to do thir part. That is when yuh find out who is who, instead of lending ah hand, many try to bury yuh. That man should have been our Coach from 89 to now...but after that fall, I can't say. The only person I observed wasn't buried was BeenE, and I think because he hadn't that fear, as he knew he wasn't staying that long to have any accidents.
I wish I knew the answers to fix our football issues/problems, though I think it's mostly modern day development, not lack of talent, however as I opinionated(dah's ah word?) awhile back (old board) it not just about football.
Palos, all that to say, I agree.  :D AlbT will be proud   :devil: - AlbT whey yuh anyway ?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 09:05:33 AM »
Even though that squad ent score a goal in the WC they were entertaining to watch and knock a good brand.

Did you see those world cup games?

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:31 AM »

Did you see those world cup games?

palos ah know where yuh going with that statement, but let we be real...the kinda talent that was on that squad was unbelieveable! if we had the experience and tactical structure in place i could very well see that team doing damage in that world cup. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:51 AM »
well said palos, a lot of trinis get impressed by the flair hence men does always big up shithounds like evans wise.

As for sherwood, one of the 3 best players i ever saw in the SSFL in my time.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »
In all seriousness, I was a big fan of Tony Sherwood.   I remember when he, Yorke, Samo and my brother was on the National U16 team and they used to go all over the country playing ball.  Then I had the opportunity to practice with him and eventually played against him in college.  Dude was tears. 

When I played against him in college, my team was a top 10 team and our defenders were deathly scared of this dude.  But he really did change his game.  I really liked his perspective on how he changed his game and focus and it's really good for him to say this.  The game is not all about flair but how you use it and when you use it.
Arimian to meh heart

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »

how yuh tink naps winning now?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 09:19:36 AM »
Yes I did Palos it was on TTT.

Additionally I was fortunate to be at most of the friendly matches and qualification run of the games in TT.

I even had a pennant from that qualification tournament. The mascot was a lil big eye chile with a afro with a headband and a steel pan/football infront of him.

Is since I small I never miss a game.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
What Bertille had use in defence 1 player rite ,just shook my head.

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 09:22:41 AM »

Very good observations Palos.  De sad thing is we have people like him with a wealth of knowledge and experience who could help improve de standard of football in T&T but they are kept out by de parasites that run de TTFF.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
Yes I did Palos it was on TTT.

Additionally I was fortunate to be at most of the friendly matches and qualification run of the games in TT.

I even had a pennant from that qualification tournament. The mascot was a lil big eye chile with a afro with a headband and a steel pan/football infront of him.

Is since I small I never miss a game.

Interesting.  I was home dem times and I doh remember seein dem games.  I remember listenin to dem on de radio.  When I listen....from de commentary, we were thoroughly outplayed by all the teams we played.  You sayin we had a nice brand and a good knock.  I didn't see, but I did hear.

Offline Small Change

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 10:17:18 AM »
Yeah, US College Soccer, does really KILL Trinidad players. It destroys their game and the drive to be a professional player. It's a Cancer for good plays, especially those who play for TnT youth National teams. Imagine if Kenwyne Jones went to college?? He would most likely not been a Premiership Player today who makes about 15,000 per week. He would have mostly like been dried up in that NONSENSE US College Soccer League with some BA Degree and looking for a job paying $45,000 per year!!! It's scary when u think about it.

What abot Jason Scotland, Stern John, Dennis Lawerence, who all play pro ball at a decent level.\

Look at Brent Rahim for example. Such a nice young talent, but that US College Ball never developed him. It KILLED him and now he is back in school........such a talent wasted. Jeremy Short, David Austin, Dwayne Demin and even Anthony Sherwood (one of the best Mid-field talent in the past 25 years coming out of TnT), all wasted!!!

There is NO way in the world that Denzil Theobald or Whitley was better than Sherwood. No way!!!

Mr Anton and Alvin Corneal did not do a good job with players too. They sent MANY talented players to this bullshit US College League, who have dried up and lost in the detrimental system. Yes, they all may have come out with degrees, but u can't compare a BS degree to be playing in England. NO way!

Such a damn SHAME!!!

I would advice and young promising, national youth player, like a Keon Daniel for example, DO NOT GO TO THE US AND PLAY IN THAT SHIT COLLEGE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 10:40:39 AM »
Thanks for posting the interview E-man.

I remember the 4-2 victory over Brazil. I couldn't get a ticket to go the stadium, so I listened on the radio  and even then it was still an exciting to listen to on the radio.

Maybe I am missing something (and maybe some of the more knowledgeable members of this board can help me out here), but it seems as if this squal failed to realize its full potential beyond the youth level.

What, in the opinion of this board, happened? Based on the wealth of talent in that squad, it should have translated into a fairly strong senior team, one capable of competing for world cups on a consistent basis.

So, again I ask, what happened?

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008, 10:49:42 AM »
Yeah, US College Soccer, does really KILL Trinidad players. It destroys their game and the drive to be a professional player. It's a Cancer for good plays, especially those who play for TnT youth National teams. Imagine if Kenwyne Jones went to college?? He would most likely not been a Premiership Player today who makes about 15,000 per week. He would have mostly like been dried up in that NONSENSE US College Soccer League with some BA Degree and looking for a job paying $45,000 per year!!! It's scary when u think about it.

What abot Jason Scotland, Stern John, Dennis Lawerence, who all play pro ball at a decent level.\

Look at Brent Rahim for example. Such a nice young talent, but that US College Ball never developed him. It KILLED him and now he is back in school........such a talent wasted. Jeremy Short, David Austin, Dwayne Demin and even Anthony Sherwood (one of the best Mid-field talent in the past 25 years coming out of TnT), all wasted!!!

There is NO way in the world that Denzil Theobald or Whitley was better than Sherwood. No way!!!

Mr Anton and Alvin Corneal did not do a good job with players too. They sent MANY talented players to this bullshit US College League, who have dried up and lost in the detrimental system. Yes, they all may have come out with degrees, but u can't compare a BS degree to be playing in England. NO way!

Such a damn SHAME!!!

I would advice and young promising, national youth player, like a Keon Daniel for example, DO NOT GO TO THE US AND PLAY IN THAT SHIT COLLEGE LEAGUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stern play in the college league and MLS
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:48:24 AM by palos »
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »

Such a damn SHAME!!!

everybody have their level.  Being a star at intercol level doesn't mean you supposed to go on to international fame as a footballer.  If you put any 22 people on a field, a handful will stand out.  that is not to put down anybody talent/ability but yuh can't make youth football in T&T your world when it come to judging talent.

yuh know how much men does come come through the ranks with Man U and other big clubs and end up making a living in the lower leagues? 

1]; } ?>