April 29, 2024, 03:16:27 AM

Author Topic: BOOT FOR BAS  (Read 6736 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: BOOT FOR BAS
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 04:46:35 PM »
What I'm suggesting is that this rush to physically "protect" Bas from the police should also be reviewed for "treatment".

ah now watching dat protection stint. Is Goopesingh (he rollin up he sleeve?), Ramnath and somebody else right ?
ah making sure is not Wade Mark before ah get buff again from Chatter for talkin ill bout she boo :'(

Anyway i wish i was ah police oman wid dey only 'leather whip' in TnT
Ah jus stand from ah distance...and ;D

Crack it !!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »
Ah jus stand from ah distance...and  ;D
dais when ya wearing ya dominatrix outfit :devil:
or jez ya police oman uniform?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 06:02:21 PM »

lucky ting ah say 'ah wish' eh
but jus to humor ya arsel....meh dominatrix alumimum outfit is meh police uniform

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2008, 06:15:13 PM »

lucky ting ah say 'ah wish' eh
but jus to humor ya arsel....meh dominatrix alumimum outfit is meh police uniform
ok ok
i missed that part ;)
my bad

oh ya say is alumimum ???
waz dat again :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 06:17:40 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
What I'm suggesting is that this rush to physically "protect" Bas from the police should also be reviewed for "treatment".

ah now watching dat protection stint. Is Goopesingh (he rollin up he sleeve?), Ramnath and somebody else right ?
ah making sure is not Wade Mark before ah get buff again from Chatter for talkin ill bout she boo :'(

lol.  rooks, ah feel wade go like the getup yuh have dere.
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2008, 09:01:58 PM »
Yuh know what iz so f up about this these men suppose to be working for the people  of the country and all they do is F around from

Monday to Friday , what iz really going on , it is so embarrassing to see grown me all they can do is disagree, what did they really do to

solve the problems in the country  UNC or PNM  after elections ? Crime rate is high , Police iz bandits , yuh cant go to the grocery

with $ 100 dollar bill and come out with three items  and yet these people jus bull shitting day in day out  embarrassing man embarrassing .

Maybe Abu Barka should go back and shoot up Parliament and buss some hot lead on dem and maybe the would get serious .

As explainer say kicksin kicksin all the time blowin every body mine , i think is time they should be afraid to come out of their house make

their life a bit uncomfortable . But trinboganian does take so much shit from these suppose to be leaders it really amazes  me .

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
A man write a letter 2 d editor 2day and say that d speaker and Manning cyah use a laptop dat is y dey tell Bas 2 take it off. All yuh feel dem fanatics easy. Panday is dey God
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2008, 04:39:22 PM »
Is dey same kissmeh neck ting ah say.... >:(
Panday's main goal is to continue disrupting dey sittings. 

Beckles: Bas got laptop warning
By Clint Chan Tack Tuesday, April 1 2008
Newsday

click on pic to zoom inPennelope Beckles...DEPUTY SPEAKER Pennelope Beckles yesterday disclosed that Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday had been warned before last Friday’s sitting of the House of Representatives about not using a laptop computer during a sitting if he was not going to contribute to the debate.
Panday was suspended last Friday after he breached Standing Order 43(5) by disregarding Speaker Barry Sinanan’s ruling to shut down his laptop computer if he was not going to speak on an Opposition motion on rising food prices.

Beckles confirmed Sinanan had issued a February 25 circular about MPs obtaining permission from the Speaker to use laptops as part of their preparations for debate on a particular day. She said Sinanan went on vacation shortly after the circular was issued and she presided over the sittings of the House during the time he was away. Beckles said she observed Panday using his laptop during one of those sittings while she was in the chair and he did not speak during the debate.
The Deputy Speaker said she “drew this to the attention” of Chief Whip Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj in a private conversation. Beckles said she reminded Maharaj about the circular and suggested he inform Panday accordingly. Maharaj is currently out of the country and could not be reached for comment. However, yesterday Panday said that unlike Sinanan, Beckles never told him to shut down his laptop when she was presiding over the House.

Panday said he provides information accessed through his laptop to his Opposition MPs so they can respond to Government MPs during debates. He added that information such as the Parliament’s Standing Orders and the country’s laws are stored on his laptop.

Panday said the UNC Alliance’s (UNC A) national executive and parliamentary caucus will meet this afternoon at Rienzi Complex, Couva to discuss its plans for Friday’s sitting of the House.

Panday was tight-lipped about potential strategies for Friday but seemed to push the legal option to the back burner with Maharaj out of the country and unlikely to return home in time for this week’s sitting. Caroni Central MP Dr Hamza Rafeeq is deputising for Maharaj.

In January, Maharaj said the Opposition was prepared to take legal action against Sinanan for certain decisions. Maharaj made this announcement after Sinanan disallowed two attempts by the UNC A to debate crime as a matter of definite urgent public importance. Maharaj referred the matter to lawyers in the United Kingdom but sources yesterday said little progress has been made to date because there is no precedent in the Commonwealth for the action being proposed.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2008, 04:53:02 PM »
I still say is much ado about nothing...

If some other MP droning on about de price ah doubles and Panday prefer tuh play some Hearts or Solitaire on he brand new XPS... I fail to see how he disrupting de proceedings  :D

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2008, 04:56:15 PM »
High class nasty man. You tell me something; what you neck you have ah laptop in Parliament for? What business you have that so important that you hadda bring it in while parliament in session ?  It couldn't wait ?

Panday was updating he team for Andre Samuel fantasy league...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »
I still say is much ado about nothing...

If some other MP droning on about de price ah doubles and Panday prefer tuh play some Hearts or Solitaire on he brand new XPS... I fail

to see how he disrupting de proceedings :D

I agree these grown men  jus like playin games ,not untill trinboganian hold these men by they balls and sqeeze it they would always

believe they could come to play monday to friday in Parliament

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2008, 12:42:41 PM »
He just get kick out....

I was coming back from lunch and now pass the redhouse....He Jack and all the UNC members walk out.

The UNC supporters all round with placards and they clapping and waving.

Look for it on news tonight.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2008, 01:45:47 PM »
He just get kick out....

I was coming back from lunch and now pass the redhouse....He Jack and all the UNC members walk out.

he get kick out over the same laptop ting?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2008, 05:24:44 PM »
Panday will be blocked if he attempts to enter Parliament
Ria Taitt Political Editor
Trinidad Express

Friday, April 4th 2008

Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday will be blocked by the police if he attempts to enter Parliament and its precincts to attend today's sitting of the House of Representatives.

House Speaker Barry Sinanan confirmed yesterday that Panday has been suspended under Standing Order 45 (10) for the remainder of this Session. This parliamentary Session began on December 17, 2007, and has to end by December 16, 2008.

Asked whether he (Sinanan) was required to write Panday saying that he had been suspended for the Session, Sinanan said there was no requirement for him to so advise the Opposition Leader of this, since "it was all set out in the Standing Orders".

Panday has indicated that he will be attending the sitting.

Sinanan stressed that he had no power to lift the suspension. He explained that when Panday was first suspended "for defying the Chair", it was done under Standing Order 45 (5) for defying the Chair. But the length of this suspension was set out in Standing Order 45 (7), which states that this suspension "shall continue until it is terminated by resolution of the House". Therefore, Sinanan said, at no time was it stipulated that Panday's suspension was to last for one sitting.

Sinanan also said when Panday refused to leave the Parliament it triggered suspension under Standing Order (10), which basically states that where a member who is suspended refuses to withdraw from the House, the Speaker shall point out that force is necessary and the member is automatically suspended from the remainder of the Session. Sinanan pointed out that according to Standing Order 45 (14), only the House, via a resolution, could terminate this suspension.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning has already indicated that his Government, which has the majority in the House, will not support any resolution ending the suspension. Works Minister Colm Imbert confirmed yesterday that Government will not be bringing a resolution today to terminate the suspension.

Imbert said that since there was no Standing Order relating to the use or non-use of electronic devices, this issue fell into the category of general matters over which the Speaker has absolute discretion.

Until the Standing Orders are amended to allow for the use of electronic devices, the Speaker's ruling stands, he said. Imbert pointed out that the US Congress and the US Senate did not allow the use of laptops, "because, I am told, it has proven to be a distraction".

On the argument that sleeping in the Parliament should not be allowed, Imbert said sleeping was an "unconscious act. I don't think people voluntarily want to sleep. Sometimes they are just very tired".

I took this reponse from a poster. At least i'm not the only one that has this view: And Shark i'm still saying, Panday's main goal is to continue disrupting dey sittings.

Please get it right! He was suspended for the rest of the yr not because he used his laptop but because he was insubordinate and refused to leave the House when requested to do so. We should not and CANNOT tolerate a blatant disrespect for any member (government or opposition). It would only lead to chaos which I suspect is Panday’s ultimate goal.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 05:27:00 PM by TriniCana »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »
Panday will be blocked if he attempts to enter Parliament
Trinidad Express

Friday, April 4th 2008

Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday will be blocked by the police if he attempts to enter Parliament and its precincts to attend today's sitting of the House of Representatives.

House Speaker Barry Sinanan confirmed yesterday that Panday has been suspended under Standing Order 45 (10) for the remainder of this Session. This parliamentary Session began on December 17, 2007, and has to end by December 16, 2008.

Asked whether he (Sinanan) was required to write Panday saying that he had been suspended for the Session, Sinanan said there was no requirement for him to so advise the Opposition Leader of this, since "it was all set out in the Standing Orders".

Panday has indicated that he will be attending the sitting.

Sinanan stressed that he had no power to lift the suspension. He explained that when Panday was first suspended "for defying the Chair", it was done under Standing Order 45 (5) for defying the Chair. But the length of this suspension was set out in Standing Order 45 (7), which states that this suspension "shall continue until it is terminated by resolution of the House". Therefore, Sinanan said, at no time was it stipulated that Panday's suspension was to last for one sitting.

Sinanan also said when Panday refused to leave the Parliament it triggered suspension under Standing Order (10), which basically states that where a member who is suspended refuses to withdraw from the House, the Speaker shall point out that force is necessary and the member is automatically suspended from the remainder of the Session. Sinanan pointed out that according to Standing Order 45 (14), only the House, via a resolution, could terminate this suspension.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning has already indicated that his Government, which has the majority in the House, will not support any resolution ending the suspension. Works Minister Colm Imbert confirmed yesterday that Government will not be bringing a resolution today to terminate the suspension.

Imbert said that since there was no Standing Order relating to the use or non-use of electronic devices, this issue fell into the category of general matters over which the Speaker has absolute discretion.

Until the Standing Orders are amended to allow for the use of electronic devices, the Speaker's ruling stands, he said. Imbert pointed out that the US Congress and the US Senate did not allow the use of laptops, "because, I am told, it has proven to be a distraction".

On the argument that sleeping in the Parliament should not be allowed, Imbert said sleeping was an "unconscious act. I don't think people voluntarily want to sleep. Sometimes they are just very tired".

I took this reponse from a poster. At least i'm not the only one that has this view: And Shark i'm still saying, Panday's main goal is to continue disrupting dey sittings.

Please get it right! He was suspended for the rest of the yr not because he used his laptop but because he was insubordinate and refused to leave the House when requested to do so. We should not and CANNOT tolerate a blatant disrespect for any member (government or opposition). It would only lead to chaos which I suspect is Panday’s ultimate goal.

De poster have it backwards doh...according to Sinanan.  Failure to remove himself is de one-time suspension.   Defying the Speaker on the lap top thing (which triggered the removal request) is the longer of the two suspensions

Sinanan pointed out that according to Standing Order 45 (14), only the House, via a resolution, could terminate this suspension.

See what does happen when yuh outsmart yuhself...we eh go be seeing Bas fuh ah good couple years :rotfl: :rotfl:

And Shark i'm still saying, Panday's main goal is to continue disrupting dey sittings.

we arguing two different things...I have no doubt is mischievous he being mischievous, I juss saying I think de rule kinda chupid.  But ah see whey ah next one say that even in de US dey have dat rule, so maybe it serves some purpose after all.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2008, 05:07:08 PM »
UNC eyes motion to bring back Bas

The UNC’s national executive meeting today will concretise ways in which the Opposition might seek to return Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday to Parliament—including whether the UNC would file a motion in Lower House for this or pursue legal action.

As it was in 2006 with a similar matter, the success of a motion to return Panday to Parliament would, however, be dependent on whether the ruling PNM side supports this .

And so far the PNM appears set against this.

UNC MP Vasant Bharath said yesterday that the party would discuss methods to reinstate Panday at its weekly caucus today at Rienzi Complex in Couva.

Panday’s suspension from the Lower House is now in its second week.

It was reported to be until year-end.

He was suspended on March 28 by Speaker Barendra Sinanan who invoked the Parliament’s Standing Orders against Panday’s use of a laptop computer in the House.

Panday had said his party might seek legal action to return him to the House.

Asked yesterday if the UNC will file a motion to seek to return Panday—a normal procedural step in such matters—Bharath said: “We haven’t ruled this out...We’ll discuss it at Wednesday’s national executive meeting.

“We’re not sure if Parliament regulations allow this,” he added, noting that when Panday was suspended, the Government had moved the motion for this.

“We may file the motion...it’s an option we are considering,” UNC MP Jack Warner said.

“We haven’t finalised any court action yet either.

“Chief Whip Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj, who returned home yesterday, will guide us on what limitations we have there.”

Yesterday, a Parliament spokesman said any member of the Lower House could bring a motion to return Panday to the House.

“It is whether the House would decide to deal with it or not and a question of votes,” the spokesman said.

The ruling PNM Government holds a 26-seat majority in the Lower House, while the Opposition UNC has 15 seats, loading the possible votes against Panday’s return.

When Panday was suspended, Prime Minister Patrick Manning had reportedly signalled the Government would not have supported any motion to return him to the House.

In 2006, while involved in a court matter, Panday decided against having his party seek extended leave—beyond the initial 150 days which was granted—for him to keep his Couva North seat.

Panday said then that he did not want any favours from the PNM to keep a seat.

PNM: No way, no how

Yesterday, PNM Leader of Government (House) Business Colm Imbert said the matter of support for any such motion had not been discussed by PNM’s parliamentary caucus.

“Is not on our agenda,” he said.

“If the Opposition files it, we’ll discuss it then, if at all...But the ball is in their court on this matter.

“If the MP for Couva North feels he has to be back in the House to represent his constituents, it’s in his hands and he has to convince a member to file a motion in this regard.

“But if we have to look at that, Government must respect the Speaker’s decision to suspend Mr Panday.

“We will not get involved willy-nilly in anything that will disrespect his decision.”

Imbert also said he felt the UNC had a “zero chance” of succeeding with the issue in the court.

“The court has always recognised the Parliament’s authority to regulate its own business—that’s a well-established legal precedent and I don’t see it changing now,” he said. —Gail Alexander

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 08:38:45 PM »
Princes Town North MP Subhas Panday is already predicting that he and his colleagues, Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj (Tabaquite) and Dr Roodal Moonilal (Oropouche East) will be suspended from Parliament for the rest of its session.

“If the matter is sent to the Privileges Committee, where the PNM has a built-in majority,” Panday said in a telephone interview yesterday, “it is likely to be sent on to the House for debate, and we will be suspended for the rest of this session.”

He made it clear, however, that he would argue his case in the House “with full force,” going anywhere he had to for evidence.

The Government began moves last Friday to have the three Opposition MPs cited for contempt of Parliament.

Leader of Government Business Colm Imbert, quoting newspaper, television and radio reports that were allegedly critical of Speaker Barendra Sinanan, referred to standing orders and May’s Parliamentary Privilege, suggesting some members of the Opposition might be in contempt of the House.

Chief whip Maharaj said yesterday he was not told of any meeting with the deputy Speaker on Friday.

Last Friday, Speaker Sinanan referred the matter for deputy Speaker Pennelope Beckles to adjudicate upon.

“I’m not too interested at this time at looking at the procedure, because I am convinced the Government wants to use its majority in the committee of privileges and in the House to have Opposition members suspended and even expelled,” Maharaj said.

He felt this was part of the agenda of Prime Minister Manning to have one-party rule in T&T, which he intended to deal with, through political and legal action at the appropriate time.

“I am prepared to suffer any punishment, whether it is suspension, expulsion, or jail, for standing up for the freedom of speech and against political harassment of the Opposition in Parliament.”

He said he planned to go to Parliament on Friday with other members of the Opposition.

“Opposition members plan to take a flexible approach and strategy to boycott and protest in support of the right of Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday not to have been suspended for use in Parliament of a laptop computer,” Maharaj said.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
More laptop House restrictions coming

Sunday, December 14th 2008

Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday will return to a more restrictive arrangement, as far as the use of laptops is concerned, when the Second Session of the Eighth Parliament resumes in January.

The House Committee of the House of Representatives has recommended in its Report which was tabled on Friday, that during any point in a debate only two members of the House should be permitted to utilise a laptop- (a) the member who is addressing the Chair (ie delivering a contribution) and (b) the member from the opposite side who is next to speak in the debate. And in both cases the use of the laptop must be related to the business of the House, the Committee advised.

The Report takes the heat off the Speaker, because it is the House Committee which is now setting the parameters via its recommendations to the Speaker. If Panday remains intransigent on his return and uses the laptop without reference to the rules outlined in the Report, he would be breaching the rules, not set by the Speaker, but by the House Committee. And if the Speaker takes action against the Opposition Leader or any member, he would not be acting on his own, but would be enforcing the rules as recommended by the House Committee.

The Report does not address the situation, which often happens, where two members of the same side are speaking consecutively.

Previously there was no restriction on the number of MPs who could use a laptop. All that was required in the previous arrangement was that they had to get the permission of the Speaker before they could use it. And Speaker Barry Sinanan, sources said, never refused any one who asked beforehand. Once the undertaking was given that the utilisation of the laptop related to the business of the House, Sinanan met every request with an affirmative response.

In March of this year, Panday (and Sport Minister Gary Hunt) began to use their laptops during sittings of the Parliament without seeking the Speaker's permission. Sinanan then issued a circular to all MPs, pointing out that the use of laptops was forbidden without his prior approval. After the circular was distributed, Panday continued to use his laptop without requesting the Speaker's permission. He was eventually suspended for the remainder of the session for gross disrespect to the Chair, following the Speaker's ruling in relation to his use of the laptop in the chamber.

The two Opposition MPs on the Committee, Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and Jack Warner, did not agree with the proviso that the two members who should be allowed to use laptops must be the MP speaking and the one from the opposite side who is next to speak. They also did not agree with the proviso that the use of the laptop by these two MPs must relate to the business of the House. Instead, Maharaj suggested that the Report be amended to state that "one member each of the Government and Opposition be permitted to use their laptop computers during the sitting of the House, provided that they do not disturb the proceedings of the House". But the majority of the Committee did not accept the proposal for a re-draft as suggested by Maharaj.

The Committee however advised the Speaker that hand-held mobile electronic devices or personal digital assistants (PDAs), such as Blackberrys, Palm Pilots and I-phones can be used at any time, provided that they do not disturb the proceedings of the House, ie the audio function is turned off and they are used in an "unobtrusive manner".

The members of the House Committee are Colm Imbert (chairman), Pennelope Beckles, Junia Regrello, Roger Joseph, Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj and Jack Warner.

1]; } ?>