April 18, 2024, 01:36:04 AM

Author Topic: Best Big Men in the Game  (Read 9661 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Best Big Men in the Game
« on: December 15, 2008, 10:02:08 AM »
Ah tiefing Lower St. John thread and coming wid de opposite. Who are the best ballers, past or present, local or international, who ability belies their size, or...who ability is because of their size (read..bruiser). 'Big' could mean tall and skinny too (like a Socrates)..

My picks are Zlatan and Kaka.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Big Men in the Game
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
Good big men in local footbal hard since dem men use to get embarass many times by the smaller more skillfull players in our style of football. 

In Colleges league Verron Skinner and Ronnie Simmonds comes to mind. 

In First Division - Dennis Puckerin (big and coulda kick with both feet).

In EPL - Cyril Regis.

International Tresor (France)

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
Ah tiefing Lower St. John thread and coming wid de opposite. Who are the best ballers, past or present, local or international, who ability belies their size, or...who ability is because of their size (read..bruiser). 'Big' could mean tall and skinny too (like a Socrates)..

wah part of KAKA big.... kaka is ah lil man compared to some ah them fellas.... yuh better off sayin addybayor. but my pick is half the nigeria team from 94' world cup, them fellas was ah set of tall big strong affircans

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 10:43:38 AM »
zlatan and henry

ah hope no one say crouch..he better off getting a job changing light bulbs
whey boy!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »
viera is one man yuh had to respect when he in d middle
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 10:50:28 AM »
oh yeah, in terms of weight...ronaldo hands down
whey boy!

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 10:53:06 AM »
viera, shaun boney, shawn david, KJ, zlatan, torres, thuram, julio caesar, josimar. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Texastrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »
so wha about Gullit.  He was about 6 2', 190 lbs in he playin days, plus dem dreads psychologically add a few more inches and 20-30 lbs .... so 6 4' and 220lbs coming at the opposition.

for local men ... richard chinapoo maybe ... all i could tink bout is that man could kick hard dread

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:43 AM »
Christiano Ronaldo.... hands down, Dennis Lawrence...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 11:29:55 AM »
Hans peter briegel ....locally ..shawn Boney.

Offline Boodsy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 11:33:00 AM »
wha bout the dog?....
Marvin Andrews for me...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 11:37:28 AM »
wha bout the dog?....
Marvin Andrews for me...
only three quarters Boney size !

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:15 AM »

wah part of KAKA big.... kaka is ah lil man compared to some ah them fellas.... yuh better off sayin addybayor. but my pick is half the nigeria team from 94' world cup, them fellas was ah set of tall big strong affircans

Kaka has somewhat of a small man style of football (nimble feet, quick moves, deft touch).... but eh eh small.  He's over 6ft tall and if yuh ever see him play live, ah tell yuh when dat soldier pick up speed on one of his trademark runs he's like a friggin' freight train- real power...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Was Boney as good as Dog? Doubt it
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2008, 11:46:58 AM »
jan koller.huge fella and good in de air.i'll neva forget de header he score against usa in germany.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »

Neither of them will make de final best team of T&T. Dog was very strong in the air and good with his head .In fact many would back him to take even ah penalty with his head.nothing on de ground though and a horrible passer. Shawn was better on de ground, had a shield like captain america and you would notUSwant to be even behind de goal if he was taking ah free kick.
Shawn went to the US at a fairly early age and was lost to local football concentrating on small goal, while dog continued in big football , but big men for big men I think he had the edge on Marvin.
Just for your info ....at age 19 Shawn was already 6ft 5 ins and 220 lbs of muscle !!!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »

In football i consider 6ft 1 as big, especially by playmaker standards. Watch him in Milan or Brazil lineup next time...one of the tallest fellas in the squad. And he solid. I always knew he was big, but then I see de man line up for Brazil vs USA  in a friendly and he and Lucio look like the two tallest fellas on the field, and big too...Men who deos make our players look nashy looking like some thin foot shortmen next to Kaka.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 11:55:52 AM »

Neither of them will make de final best team of T&T. Dog was very strong in the air and good with his head .In fact many would back him to take even ah penalty with his head.nothing on de ground though and a horrible passer. Shawn was better on de ground, had a shield like captain america and you would notUSwant to be even behind de goal if he was taking ah free kick.
Shawn went to the US at a fairly early age and was lost to local football concentrating on small goal, while dog continued in big football , but big men for big men I think he had the edge on Marvin.
Just for your info ....at age 19 Shawn was already 6ft 5 ins and 220 lbs of muscle !!!

boney still doing damage to men in the states in the indoor league. one of de most feared free kick men on the indoor circuit!! :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 11:58:14 AM »

Kaka?  :o :o

Daz a serious new technology TV yuh have dey sah... ;D

Bess big man for me currently is Ibrahimovic.  Then Luca Toni.  Then Fernando Torres.

Adriano was/is a beast but he strugglin to regain his form right now.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
I am working with Big as muscular and tall ...if not then ah woudda have to name the entire norwegian team !
I dont therefore see KAKA as one of the big men in football ...ah man say tallest ...but I doh agree ...for me yuh have to have de ponds to go with it.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 12:11:13 PM »
jan koller.huge fella and good in de air.i'll neva forget de header he score against usa in germany.

That 4ka real big, I eh go lie. And he look like he lynch 2-3 poeple and does say n!gga plenty.

Zlatan and Kaka right now but I eh understand how men forgetting Zizou with he tall lanky self. Zidane had to be about 6'2.

As a Barca man I had to throw in Kluivert dey too. To see Patrick rise and header a ball was best. 

Més que un club.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2008, 12:13:05 PM »
Onandi Lowe... but wait. We said still in de game huh? Onandi Lowe
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2008, 12:18:25 PM »

Kaka?  :o :o

Bess big man for me currently is Ibrahimovic.  Then Luca Toni.  Then Fernando Torres.

Adriano was/is a beast but he strugglin to regain his form right now.

Haha..I knew there would have been argument on what is big. I also knew plenty people wouldn't know how big kaka is. If Torres and Adriano big, then Kaka big (although Adriano have a little 'bulk' on the two of them ;D) I doh have no great set of proof except what I see for my own eyes..and I eh siting no link with stats, cuz that is often erroneous, so here is the best I can do...Check de image below for Kaka size next to men like Lucio and Adriano. He is one the biggest fellas on the squad.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:21:59 PM by Filho »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »
I waiting for the best "medium sized baller" thread.

Seriously people listing men at 6'1" as big here and listing men 5'7" and 5'8" as small in the next thread so where is the middle ground.

That is a real small space encompassing "normal" players. To me yuh can't be considering a player at 6'1 a big man because that is not notiecably tall for a player. That is about average height for a centre back.

Anyway the interesting thing is how few defenders get mentioned in the small ballers thread and how many appearing here.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »

Either Kaka real tall or that soldier real short?!?!

Més que un club.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »
ok..good points by jdb and jai. i do think 6 '1 is well above average for a top flight football player..especially an attacking player, but I do agree that 5'7 and 5'8 should not be short for football. And there is a biiiig difference between 5'8 and 6'1. At the same time, if you do like me and call Kaka, you including a large list including fellas like Fernando Torres and Cristiano Ronaldo etc....big fellas no doubt, but when we talk among friends about 'big men' in football is really men like Skurhavy, Luca Toni etc..we talking about.

So maybe we should keep it to men who over 6ft 2, and/or who rely a lot on their power and size to do what they do. So even though Adriano not visibly taller than Kaka..he definitely have a big man finish and a big man element to his game...

So I will stick with Zlatan then.

edit...oh gad man 'gruntled. Wham...you couldn't find no lifesize image of de man or wha :devil: oh and dat soldier look like de Brazilian president Lula..i tink he kinda short
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:42:42 PM by Filho »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008, 12:46:50 PM »

edit...oh gad man 'gruntled. Wham...you couldn't find no lifesize image of de man or wha :devil: oh and dat soldier look like de Brazilian president Lula..i tink he kinda short

Yeah is he self.
Hard luck bout the size. The site it was on didn't have it displayed so big, my shit.

Kaka and C Ronaldo is bout the same height and dem fellas big. Down to Alex Ferguson some mths. ago after Ronaldo score a header say he should be scoring more headers because he is a big lad.

Més que un club.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2008, 12:49:12 PM »

Kaka?  :o :o

Kaka is the same size as F. Torres if not bigger.

But yeah....... "big man" should be 6-2 and above and small man should be 5-7 and below.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:51:53 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 12:57:55 PM »
Kaka and C Ronaldo is bout the same height and dem fellas big. Down to Alex Ferguson some mths. ago after Ronaldo score a header say he should be scoring more headers because he is a big lad.

I not doubting that they are big guys or even above average for a footballer but they are not what you would consider "big men" in football parlance.

If Ronaldo or Kaka kill a ball dead or display some skill you wouldn't find somebody thinking, or saying that "they have a good touch for a big man". Might be semantics but once yuh statr including normal players you really making a list of "the best players"
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2008, 01:08:20 PM »

If Ronaldo or Kaka kill a ball dead or display some skill you wouldn't find somebody thinking, or saying that "they have a good touch for a big man". Might be semantics but once yuh statr including normal players you really making a list of "the best players"

Point well taken.

I surprised nobody eh pull Peter Crouch out they ass yet. 

Més que un club.

1]; } ?>