March 28, 2024, 12:43:30 PM

Author Topic: Barnes targets Scotland as Jamaica's first opponent next year  (Read 6702 times)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Barnes targets Scotland as Jamaica's first opponent next year
« on: December 16, 2008, 12:32:11 PM »

Head coach John Barnes says the Reggae Boyz are focused on producing good results at next year's Gold Cup in America starting in July.

"Between January and July, we have 4, 5 matches that we have to organize in preparation for the Gold Cup which I would to be against the strongest opposition as possible," he said.

Jamaica are now ranked 83rd in the world which makes it a bit difficult to attract top class oppositions but according to Barnes, Scotland, who are ranked 50 places above the Reggae Boyz, is among the countries they would want to play.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Barnes targets Scotland as Jamaica's first opponent next year
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »
kill me dead is jason scotland he want to draft in for the reggea boys yes......i now thinkin is reall madness :beermug:
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
Well I seriously thought that it was Jamaica vs Jason Scotland. I was that is ah game I could watch.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »
Well I seriously thought that it was Jamaica vs Jason Scotland. I was that is ah game I could watch.

I doh think Swansea would release him for dat game....is not a world cup qualifier.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 02:31:10 PM »
Sorry, Jason Scotland couldnt make Jamaica team.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:02 PM »
LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
STEUPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »

So true. Even with the Reggae Boyz not in first gear. ;D

Despite DigiCup win... Boyz were sloppy[b]
BY LIVINGSTON SCOTT Observer staff reporter
Tuesday, December 16, 2008[/b]

Head coach of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, John Barnes, said although his team was barely tested throughout the recently-concluded Digicel Caribbean Championship, they were guilty of "sloppiness and sloppy passing".

"Overall we dominated the matches... but sloppiness and sloppy passing at the back gave us problems... I didn't think we necessarily had lapses in defence, there were lapses in terms of the way we passed the ball," he said.

Barnes, who took over the reins of the team on November 1 after the Boyz's failed World Cup qualifying campaign, led the team to their fourth regional championship when they defeated Grenada 2-0 inside the National Stadium on Sunday night courtesy of two Luton Shelton penalties in 16th and 71st minutes.

The former Liverpool and England winger said now the focus is to get the players mentally ready for the next major assignment, the CONCACAF Gold Cup, next summer.

"Our concentration that is what we need to improve on... as your concentration is paramount when it comes to situations where you are tired," Barnes said.

"We will keep after them (players) about their concentration and sloppiness... I know that we can get better," he told journalists at Sunday night's post-match press conference.

Barnes, who was winning his first title as a coach, said it was important to note that the 12-day tournament was not easy on the players, having to play five rigorous matches.

"The team didn't change much so it's hard to ask the players to keep sharp and alert all the time... so if you want to be picky you can say that things can improve, but it has been a long, hard tournament and overall I cannot fault the players whatsoever," he said.

Barnes, along with JFF president Captain Horace Burrell, confirmed at the press session that a number of "quality oppositions" friendly internationals are being organised to give the team the best possible preparation going into the Gold Cup.

"At the moment there are three definite FIFA friendly dates where we will be getting together to face a few oppositions. We have no matches organised yet, but we have those dates, so it's just a question of getting quality opposition to help us prepare for the Gold Cup," Barnes noted.

"The problem we may have is that the March and April dates are also World Cup qualifying dates, so a lot of the European, CONCACAF and African teams will be involved in World Cup qualifying, so as to the quality teams we can get for those dates, we will just have to wait and see," he said.

"But we have four or five matches before then (Gold Cup) and all I will be stressing to the players is that their concentration must be up at all times in our training and preparation," he added.

Though delighted with the team's triumph, the Jamaica-born Barnes said there is no room for relaxation.

"I'm very happy, but I have been in football long enough to know that you are only one game away from doom and gloom. Yes we won the Digicel Championship and we managed most of the games, but we have other matches to look forward to," he ended.
jjbrown

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 03:10:15 PM »

Head coach of Jamaica's Reggae Boyz, John Barnes, said although his team was barely tested throughout the recently-concluded Digicel Caribbean Championship, they were guilty of "sloppiness and sloppy passing".

"Overall we dominated the matches... but sloppiness and sloppy passing at the back gave us problems... I didn't think we necessarily had lapses in defence, there were lapses in terms of the way we passed the ball," he said.

Barnes, who took over the reins of the team on November 1 after the Boyz's failed World Cup qualifying campaign, led the team to their fourth regional championship when they defeated Grenada 2-0 inside the National Stadium on Sunday night courtesy of two Luton Shelton penalties in 16th and 71st minutes.

The former Liverpool and England winger said now the focus is to get the players mentally ready for the next major assignment, the CONCACAF Gold Cup, next summer.

"Our concentration that is what we need to improve on... as your concentration is paramount when it comes to situations where you are tired," Barnes said.

"We will keep after them (players) about their concentration and sloppiness... I know that we can get better," he told journalists at Sunday night's post-match press conference.

Barnes, who was winning his first title as a coach, said it was important to note that the 12-day tournament was not easy on the players, having to play five rigorous matches.

"The team didn't change much so it's hard to ask the players to keep sharp and alert all the time... so if you want to be picky you can say that things can improve, but it has been a long, hard tournament and overall I cannot fault the players whatsoever," he said.

Barnes, along with JFF president Captain Horace Burrell, confirmed at the press session that a number of "quality oppositions" friendly internationals are being organised to give the team the best possible preparation going into the Gold Cup.

"At the moment there are three definite FIFA friendly dates where we will be getting together to face a few oppositions. We have no matches organised yet, but we have those dates, so it's just a question of getting quality opposition to help us prepare for the Gold Cup," Barnes noted.

"The problem we may have is that the March and April dates are also World Cup qualifying dates, so a lot of the European, CONCACAF and African teams will be involved in World Cup qualifying, so as to the quality teams we can get for those dates, we will just have to wait and see," he said.

"But we have four or five matches before then (Gold Cup) and all I will be stressing to the players is that their concentration must be up at all times in our training and preparation," he added.

Though delighted with the team's triumph, the Jamaica-born Barnes said there is no room for relaxation.

"I'm very happy, but I have been in football long enough to know that you are only one game away from doom and gloom. Yes we won the Digicel Championship and we managed most of the games, but we have other matches to look forward to," he ended.

Hard luck wid d March/April friendlies, maybe yall cud play Grenada again  :beermug:

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 03:38:05 PM »

Hard luck wid d March/April friendlies, maybe yall cud play Grenada again  :beermug:
Come 2009 those dates won't be a problem for Jamaica to play top opponents because tomorrow when you wake up where do you think Jamaica's ranking will be on the FIFA table. Down, the same or up?

And I won't even ask you where you think T&T will be.;D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 03:40:15 PM by jamaica2099 »
jjbrown

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 04:11:20 PM »

Come 2009 those dates won't be a problem for Jamaica to play top opponents because tomorrow when you wake up where do you think Jamaica's ranking will be on the FIFA table. Down, the same or up?

And I won't even ask you where you think T&T will be.;D

we'll be on the way to South Africa, but good luck with the ranking. :D

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:52:52 PM »
Yup! On the way to South Africa to watch 32 teams excluding T&T. Then detouring to the US to watch Jamaica's Reggae Boyz in the Gold Cup. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
jjbrown

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 02:00:49 AM »
SEND MORE SCOTS
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 07:53:26 AM »
Yup! On the way to South Africa to watch 32 teams excluding T&T. Then detouring to the US to watch Jamaica's Reggae Boyz in the Gold Cup. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

It must really hurt that with all the star power and great strikers (Jason cah make allyuh team mind u)
The amount of talent Jamaica has that poor ole lowly ranked 77th in the world T&T still in the running to make the world cup eh?
It really must irk u with your typical sense of superiority to us "small islanders" that, you know we might be better. So go ahead take the ranking for now I rather still have a chance to qualify to the world cup any day. I doh need a set of Europeans in Zurich to tell me that we better than allyuh. U and the rest of your Euro centric comrades do. So if this makes you happy  :beermug: just know that we have 10 qualifiers to play next year y'all have a 3 and out at the Gold Cup. Don't let the door hit yuh in the azz on the way out.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »

It must really hurt that with all the star power and great strikers (Jason cah make allyuh team mind u)
The amount of talent Jamaica has that poor ole lowly ranked 77th in the world T&T still in the running to make the world cup eh?
It really must irk u with your typical sense of superiority to us "small islanders" that, you know we might be better. So go ahead take the ranking for now I rather still have a chance to qualify to the world cup any day. I doh need a set of Europeans in Zurich to tell me that we better than allyuh. U and the rest of your Euro centric comrades do. So if this makes you happy  :beermug: just know that we have 10 qualifiers to play next year y'all have a 3 and out at the Gold Cup. Don't let the door hit yuh in the azz on the way out.
Honestly! No, it doesn't irk me.
Here's the reason: I told many Trinis on this forum that when Clueless Creston Bungling Boxhill left the JFF and Jamaica's Reggae Boyz dangling at #105 in the FIFA rankings that there was nowhere else to fall but to climb back up. Many Trinis laughed and scorned Jamaica's Reggae Boyz saying that we were not good enough to play. This was true. An opportunity that T&T did not pounce on to humiliate us even further. Your mistake.

Furthermore, when CONCACAF bosses use outdated FIFA rankings (May 2008 instead of November 2008 like[/color] every other FIFA confederation used for the WCQ draw) for top Caribbean nations (T&T, Cuba and Haiti) advance to easy semi-final groups then you should not be surprise when they offer no real challenge to the top Central & North American nations. So T&T in the HEX I don't see them offering any real challenge to any nation in the HEX. T&T will just end up humiliating the Caribbean.

However, Jamaica's Reggae Boyz ends 2008 on a high. FIFA ranked #65 and DigiCup CARIBBEAN KINGS and 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup CONTENDERS. These facts are 100% certain true and accurate. ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: The same cannot be said of T&T being 2010 World Cup contenders.   

jjbrown

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »

Here's the reason: I told many Trinis on this forum that when Clueless Creston Bungling Boxhill left the JFF and Jamaica's Reggae Boyz dangling at #105 in the FIFA rankings that there was nowhere else to fall but to climb back up. Many Trinis laughed and scorned Jamaica's Reggae Boyz saying that we were not good enough to play. This was true. An opportunity that T&T did not pounce on to humiliate us even further. Your mistake.

Furthermore, when CONCACAF bosses use outdated FIFA rankings (May 2008 instead of November 2008 like[/color] every other FIFA confederation used for the WCQ draw) for top Caribbean nations (T&T, Cuba and Haiti) advance to easy semi-final groups then you should not be surprise when they offer no real challenge to the top Central & North American nations. So T&T in the HEX I don't see them offering any real challenge to any nation in the HEX. T&T will just end up humiliating the Caribbean.

However, Jamaica's Reggae Boyz ends 2008 on a high. FIFA ranked #65 and DigiCup CARIBBEAN KINGS and 2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup CONTENDERS. These facts are 100% certain true and accurate. ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: The same cannot be said of T&T being 2010 World Cup contenders.   

U have to be delusional or insane. If you're trying to talk yourself into believing the trip u just write der.... good luck.
We have already done the Caribbean proud simply by qualifying to the hex. I see no Cuba here, no Haiti and no Jamaica but instead of support all u have for us is hate. So sad.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
da man come back with da Boxhill talk yes

shithongssssssssssssssss
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »

Sorry, Jamaica couldnt make the Hex (for a second time running)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 01:55:16 PM »
While Im bitterly disappointed that TT didn't make the Gold Cup, and shouldve made the Gold Cup - there's is still some consolation that can be taken from this.

How many bigger teams will field full strength squads will be interesting.
The US will likely play their B-squad .... and the invited (outside of Concacaf) teams have usually sent their U-23s to the tournament, so in terms of playing against top-notch competition, we can leverage to play friendlies against other nations during that time.

I also surmise that we will attract considerable interest from South American NTs willing to get a taste of what teams in Concacaf they can potentially come against in the 4th place play-off for the WC.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 02:51:20 PM »
WTF!Barnes nah baddah target Hingland? ;D ;D ;D

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 03:02:49 PM »
While Im bitterly disappointed that TT didn't make the Gold Cup, and shouldve made the Gold Cup - there's is still some consolation that can be taken from this.

How many bigger teams will field full strength squads will be interesting.
The US will likely play their B-squad .... and the invited (outside of Concacaf) teams have usually sent their U-23s to the tournament, so in terms of playing against top-notch competition, we can leverage to play friendlies against other nations during that time.

I also surmise that we will attract considerable interest from South American NTs willing to get a taste of what teams in Concacaf they can potentially come against in the 4th place play-off for the WC.

FYI, CONCACAF no longer invite teams from other federations to take part in the Gold Cup. And I cant ever recall a CONCACAF nation not taking theGold cup seriously. Outside of the World Cup finals, this is CONCACAF's biggest showpiece event.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 03:17:20 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 03:04:20 PM »

Couldnt make the Hex? We could have topped any of the other 3 groups....you would probanly finish dead last in the group of death.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »

Couldnt make the Hex? We could have topped any of the other 3 groups....you would probanly finish dead last in the group of death.

is that so ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 03:16:44 PM »
Well the Gold Cup is not played in The Office, where it seems like that's the only place that J'ca can win ... so we should expect lots of cut-arse for Jamaica in the Gold Cup.

Book it?

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2008, 03:18:32 PM »

is that so ?

sure, why not?

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »
Well the Gold Cup is not played in The Office, where it seems like that's the only place that J'ca can win ... so we should expect lots of cut-arse for Jamaica in the Gold Cup.

Book it?

Our last world cup qualifier in T&T ended in victory for Ja no? Who jhave you guys beaten away in the last round of qualifying games? oh right. Cuba. Perhaps the easiest place to play in CONCACAF.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
Our last world cup qualifier in T&T ended in victory for Ja no? Who jhave you guys beaten away in the last round of qualifying games? oh right. Cuba. Perhaps the easiest place to play in CONCACAF.

When was your last WCQ in TT? ... 1992?

Guatemala would disagree that Cuba is the easiest place to play in Concacaf.

TT didn't win any games on the road, but we're in the Hex - so we took care of business at home, and got points on the road when we had to.

TT has games home-away to rely on for the Hex ... J'ca doesn't have that luxury in the GC.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »

U have to be delusional or insane. If you're trying to talk yourself into believing the trip u just write der.... good luck.
We have already done the Caribbean proud simply by qualifying to the hex. I see no Cuba here, no Haiti and no Jamaica but instead of support all u have for us is hate. So sad.
Making the Caribbean proud by qualifying for the HEX which still resides the confines of CONCACAF. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Now who's delusional when T&T couldn't even advance from the first round of the Digicel Caribbean Championship with lesser ranked teams Barbados and Grenada than those T&T faced in the WCQ semi-final round. Which meantT&T did not qualify for a "simple" CONCACAF tournament like the Gold Cup. Proud! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: More like the laughing stock of the Caribbean.
jjbrown

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2008, 04:17:32 PM »

Making the Caribbean proud by qualifying for the HEX which still resides the confines of CONCACAF. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Now who's delusional when T&T couldn't even advance from the first round of the Digicel Caribbean Championship with lesser ranked teams Barbados and Grenada than those T&T faced in the WCQ semi-final round. Which meantT&T did not qualify for a "simple" CONCACAF tournament like the Gold Cup. Proud! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: More like the laughing stock of the Caribbean.

I yes the same man who was talking big about the reggaeboyz under 17 the same guy who talk about simones oor soul
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
Allyuh getting caught up in talk from them Jamaicans.

Why yuh listening to them?! They don't know anything about football, can't even make the Hex.

Let them enjoy their 'Gold Cup'. That's their World Cup.

We have bigger fish to fry. :D

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 05:22:35 PM »

I yes the same man who was talking big about the reggaeboyz under 17 the same guy who talk about simones oor soul
Yes! The same man who said from November 2007 that there was nowhere else for Jamaica's Reggae Boyz to go but up in 2008. 8)
jjbrown

1]; } ?>