April 16, 2024, 05:41:57 PM

Author Topic: Capello tries to change the way the English think!  (Read 4106 times)

truetrini

Capello tries to change the way the English think!
« on: December 16, 2008, 10:01:30 PM »
SOCCER
Capello tries to change the way the English think
By Rob Hughes
Published: December 16, 2008

Dylan Martinez/Reuters
Fabio Capello watching during his first victory as England manager, in a friendly international against Switzerland at Wembley.

LONDON: "When I arrived," Capello said. "I did not understand why the same players were successful in their clubs, but not with England. After one game, I understood the problem completely."

A lifetime ago, a young golfer was told by his father "Don't tell anybody how good you are, show them."

Arnold Palmer, you could say, became as good as his father Deacon's words. Throughout most of that period of sporting history, the England soccer players have tended to do the reverse. They have talked a better game than they played.

Perhaps that is changing. Precisely a year ago, after England failed to reach the Euro 2008 finals, the country hired a foreigner to change the ways of players who were fabulously rich celebrities going nowhere as a national team.

Fabio Capello, a proven winner as a coach in Italian and Spanish club soccer, could barely string together a sentence in English last December. However, like Palmer senior, he knows that the first maxim of sport is that action speaks louder than words.

"When I arrived," Capello told journalists at a lunch in London on Monday. "I did not understand why the same players were successful in their clubs, but not with England. After one game, I understood the problem completely.

"I realized that the problem was in the mind of the players. Now we are better."

Better is an understatement. England has run up four straight victories in qualifying games for the 2010 World Cup, including a sound beating of Croatia, the team that ended its European qualification last year.

Capello brought some old-fashioned disciplines. He told his players how to dress, how to behave around his team camp. He introduced a dietary regimen so strict that some players' wives and girlfriends smuggled snacks inside their men's travel bags. (Poor Bertille)

They think the Italian "Mister" didn't know this? It reminds me of João Saldanha, the supposedly strict Brazilian coach of the late 1960s, laughing in the knowledge that curfews on wine, women and song were there to be broken, just so long as he, the coach, was not confronted with the evidence of the breaches.

Players, Saldanha would argue over the very drinks that were confiscated from their rooms, will dare to be men given half a chance. But a team needs an aura of common purpose and togetherness.

So maybe, 40 years on, Capello is working the same routine? Maybe he is playing the father-figure, slightly detached from players who, after all, are there to perform in the same sport he once successfully played, for Italy against England?

His observation seems to be that England needed a psychologist more than a coach. For one or two, perhaps, a psychiatrist would not go amiss. They were paper tigers, boasting about their lifestyles, but inwardly afraid of the expectation heaped upon them.

England, the mother nation of organized soccer, has only once, in 1966, won the World Cup. That was at Wembley Stadium, which has been dismantled and rebuilt. Capello observed that it is in this new arena, packed to its 90,000 capacity, that the crowd and the players seem to have grown disillusioned with one another.

Capello himself uses the word psychology. He says now that the greater part of his first year has not been separating the good players from the bad, but convincing the players that with work, with a group spirit, with confidence, they could be better than they think.

A psychologist in a track suit bearing the three lions, England's crest?

"Good psychologist, bad players," retorts Capello, "makes it impossible to win. It is important to change the mentality of the players, but we need to have good players to win."

Once that penny dropped, the victories flowed. England beat Andorra, Croatia, Kazakhstan and Belarus in World Cup qualifiers, and ended 2008 by outplaying Germany to win 2-1 in Berlin. However, Capello believes that the turning point came not in victory, but in a defeat against France, in Capello's second game as England's  savior.

"We lost, but in the dressing room I said to the players that I was happy because they made a step forward." The players, he remembers, thought him crazy. "But I told them I am happy because we played against the World Cup runner-up, in Paris, and for half an hour we played well. If we can play well here for half an hour, we can play the whole game like that."

Capello's problem is time with the players, and continuity. He has no game until a friendly in Spain next February; his time working with the players is confined to a handful of days around each international match often months apart.

All Capello's triumphs so far have come through drumming his mentality into players he could work with every day at AC Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid.

At 62, this is as much a challenge to Capello's adaptability. The language, which he understood better than he let on, matters less than the personality.

He watches players in their clubs, and stores up memories of errors from watching video recordings of England games.

"We have to eliminate mistakes," he said. "We want to get better, but we need time."

He is clear, uncomplicated and, at times, ruthless. And he looks for fresh talent.
  (Ahhh boy Maturana)

"I am very happy for players that play with Aston Villa," he says. "They are young and are performing." He singled out two players who have appeared for England - Gaby Agbonlahor and Ashley Young - and one who has not, James  Milner.

"He is a very interesting young player. He scored two goals for the Under 21 team against the Republic of Ireland, and these Villa players impress me for the future."

They are all forwards, all quick, and capable of playing on the wings. Their rise threatens Michael Owen and David Beckham, the icons of the past.

Owen has yet to be selected by Capello, and Beckham's chances of gaining the 108th cap he needs to equal England's former captain Bobby Moore depend entirely on what progress he makes at AC Milan.

Beckham is due to start a three- month loan with Milan. It will surprise nobody that his first sessions come on tour, on a commercial break in Dubai starting Dec. 29.

"I will watch him if he plays for Milan," Capello said. "If he doesn't play, he will not be in the squad. I will decide after talking to the coaches - not on sympathy." David Beckham, like Arnold Palmer, will have to show them if he can still be good.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:05:15 PM by truetrini »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Capello tries to change the way the English think!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 10:30:23 PM »
Now..lets extrapolate that to our suituation. Would one be correct in saying that the "star boy" attitude that some youths develop due to intercol sucess affects our footballers? Or..going all across the board.....do our footballers think that they are better than they really are?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
He is clear, uncomplicated and, at times, ruthless. And he looks for fresh talent.  (Ahhh boy Maturana)

Nah bring back Wim... ;D
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:54:54 AM »
excellent
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 04:58:04 AM »
the thoughts of a master tactician..........

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 05:28:27 AM »
 could not string more than a few english words together, now he can string more than a few ............... enough to encourage, motivate and empart some wisdom, but in stark contrast to that, mats hmmmm ??? :(
I pity the fool....

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:23:06 AM »
still ah shit side that go never win anything

EPL for life, Rooney is king!!

Més que un club.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »
I said it when he was still at Madrid Capello is the best manager in the world full stop.

He prove it time and again every team he takes over improves and he not afraid to take up new challenges.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:10 AM »

I dunno... Capello is a proven winner, and England is always knocking on the door of being a great side.  They seem to always fail against better quality in crucial matches, but it's always close and they manage to dominate parts of the game...  I honestly think that the difference between England winning a World Cup, and being who they are at present is a good coach and one great player.  With Capello in charge, the great player is still the missing link...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »
Just the philosophy of teaching the game from the head down is a concept all coaches should acquire...(especially in the youth game).

We have heard it several times from the coaches of the National team over the years, that the players mentality have to change.. but those in authority and even the supports never had the patience with such as some coaches had tried but failed due to support, time and the ever rush for success or your out mentality given especially to some of the local coaches we have had over the years...yet it is a fact and I am glad to see that it has worked for England thus far and I hope it would one day work for my country.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 09:17:26 AM »
If Capello eh take dem 2 d promise land then it eh have no promiseland 4 dem. Like his no star boy mentality.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 09:20:30 AM »

I dunno... Capello is a proven winner, and England is always knocking on the door of being a great side.  They seem to always fail against better quality in crucial matches, but it's always close and they manage to dominate parts of the game...  I honestly think that the difference between England winning a World Cup, and being who they are at present is a good coach and one great player.  With Capello in charge, the great player is still the missing link...

LOL... love the backhand compliment there....  ;D
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FineMan

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »
Capello brought some old-fashioned disciplines. He told his players how to dress, how to behave around his team camp. He introduced a dietary regimen so strict that some players' wives and girlfriends smuggled snacks inside their men's travel bags. (Poor Bertille)

Why poor Bertille? St. Clair always had disciplined teams, he may not have always gotten the results but his national camps were always the most stringent and tough. Bertille never got enough support from the management to buy into his philosophy and ideas.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 12:01:41 PM »

Rio Ferdinand and John Terry could cope with an in form Spain right now.

Xavi, Iniesta, Torres and Villa running at them go rip them to shreds.

puhhhhlease

The only door dem knocking on is the pub door. To watch the WC finals and have a pint with the mates.

Més que un club.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 12:25:25 PM »
Disgruntled...leh we bet on de England vz Spain match nah ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 12:42:33 PM »

Rio Ferdinand and John Terry could cope with an in form Spain right now.

Xavi, Iniesta, Torres and Villa running at them go rip them to shreds.

puhhhhlease

The only door dem knocking on is the pub door. To watch the WC finals and have a pint with the mates.

I don't think they're as bad as you make them out to be:  Going as far back as I could remember them in WC competitions

1986: They lost 2-1 to Argentina (the eventual champions) in the Q final: one goal a hand ball, the other- a moment of brilliance

1990: They lost to Germany (again the eventual champions) on penalty kicks in the semi final.  And if they'd won that game... truss meh they were winning the whole thing....That Argentina side that were runners up were ripe for a lickin'

1994: They were absent- sh*t happens

1998: They lost to a good Argentina side on penalty kicks

2002: They lost to Brazil (again the eventual champions) 2-1 in the Q final: They were played off the park, but against Ro, Ri & Ro, that's excusable on any given day.

2006: They lost to a good Portugal side in the Q final on penalty kicks.

So all of their "recent" world cup losses have either been to the eventual champions or on penalty kicks- or both.  I call that knocking on the door.  

Agree they're not as impressive as Spain at the moment, but not many teams today are- doesn't mean that they can't beat them on their day.

Since Capello has taken over England, they've been winning games....I still think they need that special player or two to push them over the  hump..but the seemingly biased commentary, the frustrating hype and the stigma of boring football masks the fact that England is a strong team that competes well against the best and are always in contention for major football honors.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »
Not sure if I agree with kicker last point about needing a truly great player. Italy won the World Cup with a team with no prolific forward, and a crocked playmaker. Greece won Euro 2004 with no truly exceptional player.

With Capello in charge, England is good enough to win big things with the current player pool. You could count on Capello to get the tactics and formation right, more times than not. It's just up to having the best players healthy and in form at the right time. You also need the luck of the draw and just plain luck.

Even so, a player with the quality of Rooney is capable of having a break out tournament and being that 'great player' anyway.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »
The people who stating that Maturana role with the team is minimal, look a big coach stating how much influnce the coach must have on the team if the team is to be successful. They have all the big players, why not just say is rooney fault fault he miss. See we have to understand that sports now is long past reducing a missed goal or allowing an unmarked player in the box to "just" the player's fault. It is way more than that.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2008, 12:56:44 PM »
Not sure if I agree with kicker last point about needing a truly great player. Italy won the World Cup with a team with no prolific forward, and a crocked playmaker. Greece won Euro 2004 with no truly exceptional player.

With Capello in charge, England is good enough to win big things with the current player pool. You could count on Capello to get the tactics and formation right, more times than not. It's just up to having the best players healthy and in form at the right time. You also need the luck of the draw and just plain luck.

Even so, a player with the quality of Rooney is capable of having a break out tournament and being that 'great player' anyway.

Yeah "need" (as in need a great player) is a strong word...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 01:54:41 PM »
The people who stating that Maturana role with the team is minimal, look a big coach stating how much influnce the coach must have on the team if the team is to be successful. They have all the big players, why not just say is rooney fault fault he miss. See we have to understand that sports now is long past reducing a missed goal or allowing an unmarked player in the box to "just" the player's fault. It is way more than that.

doh get carried away. it is still often the player's fault. all the preparation and work done prior to a game does not relieve the individual of responsibility when they get on the pitch. that said, we all understand that a bad pass, goal conceded, or any type of error isn't always simply down to an error by the individual who appears most directly involved in the play.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2008, 02:09:17 PM »

doh get carried away. it is still often the player's fault. all the preparation and work done prior to a game does not relieve the individual of responsibility when they get on the pitch. that said, we all understand that a bad pass, goal conceded, or any type of error isn't always simply down to an error by the individual who appears most directly involved in the play.

Not releiving the player of any responsibility. Just to many people deminishing the responsibility of the coach. I am a big supporter of "you practice as you play." If our team practice at a top level, it will be difficult for them to go out time after time and fall flat. That's my contention, as as such it reflects greatly upon the level of coaching at practice. 
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »

I don't think they're as bad as you make them out to be:  Going as far back as I could remember them in WC competitions

1986: They lost 2-1 to Argentina (the eventual champions) in the Q final: one goal a hand ball, the other- a moment of brilliance

1990: They lost to Germany (again the eventual champions) on penalty kicks in the semi final.  And if they'd won that game... truss meh they were winning the whole thing....That Argentina side that were runners up were ripe for a lickin'

2002: They lost to Brazil (again the eventual champions) 2-1 in the Q final: They were played off the park, but against Ro, Ri & Ro, that's excusable on any given day.

So all of their "recent" world cup losses have either been to the eventual champions or on penalty kicks- or both.  I call that knocking on the door.  

Agree they're not as impressive as Spain at the moment, but not many teams today are- doesn't mean that they can't beat them on their day.

What door they was knocing on when they did not make it to Euro Cup finals?

Getting yuh ass washed repeatedly is not knocking on any door. England always boasts this big mecca of football, and if you are to believe this forum then the EPL is the epitome of anything to do with the game. When, in truth and in fact, they have not won anything since 66 WC, which was won under dubious circumstances.

Kicker, all dem stats you quote dey just prove to me that that is a big shit side who does get licks in every tournament that they make it to. And yes, there can only be one winner, but England does get on like they win before a whistle even blow.

Disgruntled...leh we bet on de England vz Spain match nah ???

WHENEVER

Més que un club.

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 11:02:26 AM »

Why poor Bertille? St. Clair always had disciplined teams, he may not have always gotten the results but his national camps were always the most stringent and tough. Bertille never got enough support from the management to buy into his philosophy and ideas.

Bertille was criticized for doing the same fella.  That was my point, he just took it too far, with the dreadlocks and the push ups in the airport nonsense.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »
I could remember when another foreign coach, Sven G, took England to Germany for WC
qualification and England came away 5-0 winners. He was covered in all sorts of praise
and he went on to coach England to one of the best International records in history.
Yet he never managed to win the WC or Euro and was heavily criticized & released.
Capello obviously will also be aware of this and will only be seen as a success if he
takes England to the WC final (game).
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 01:14:28 PM »

What door they was knocing on when they did not make it to Euro Cup finals?

Getting yuh ass washed repeatedly is not knocking on any door. England always boasts this big mecca of football, and if you are to believe this forum then the EPL is the epitome of anything to do with the game. When, in truth and in fact, they have not won anything since 66 WC, which was won under dubious circumstances.

Kicker, all dem stats you quote dey just prove to me that that is a big shit side who does get licks in every tournament that they make it to. And yes, there can only be one winner, but England does get on like they win before a whistle even blow.

LOL.  I eh no England fan- I'm usually glad to see them get licks but I'm just being objective...A consistent quarter-finalist at World Cup is not a bad track record..... and I think they are a competitive side that every opponent takes very seriously.  By your logic Spain was a shit side up until this Euro because dem doh really win nuttin' and Holland is a shit side too be they miss out on 2 of the last 6 world cups....

Outside of Brazil, Argentina, Italy & Germany, (who I consider the big 4 of World Football), there only a few teams that regularly throw punches in the heavy-weight division over the decades.  England is one of them.  France, Holland & Spain (barely) are the others. 

Offline WARRIORKING

• Deep into weaponry
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 01:22:23 AM »
All trinidadians think they are better than what they really are at everything . thats why when they run into people who actually are good at what they are and who don't talk about it they look  amateaur they need to develop the kevin garnet attitude no matter how much money or fame the game is the first love and he play hard everynight even  though he is one of the highest paid  these guys work on there game still  in the off season . trini players need to be thought theres no end to learning they think they got it all figured out .
My lyrical tendency`s equivalent to a critical felony
Precise behind bars like a criminal`s penalty
Pinnacle definitely, hold so much jewels in my miracle memory
It`s like I`m a physical treasury
I was born with a difficult destiny, not your typical mentally
Givin my vision through treacheries

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 07:25:00 AM »
King u want 2 become not Trini dat is how Trinis are we are d best ting God ever created.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2008, 07:30:34 AM »
Great Post truetrini,,,,yuh coulda title it, "It's the coach stupid!". for men who does be taliking all kinda rubbish bout why we should retain dis ass we have in charge.

i always know england had potential/the players but was just a matter of the person at helm...doh even talk bout dat clown mclaren......dis coaching change is MY classic e.g of a coach making all de difference, so thank you truetrini

ah have to plead ignorance here.....who had to do PUSHUPS in ah airport, please tell me dat is ah joke!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 07:57:55 AM »
who had to do PUSHUPS in ah airport, please tell me dat is ah joke!

nah, dat is no joke
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2008, 08:27:55 AM »
BSC was a hottttttttt messsssss.

1]; } ?>