April 28, 2024, 06:40:28 AM

Author Topic: Defensive midfield  (Read 6453 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Defensive midfield
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 11:49:21 AM »
The best local defensive midfielder I've ever seen is Christopher Birchall.

And he cyah get a run in a First Division English club team.

By the way....I believe Floyd Lawrence was the defensive mid on the Strike Squad, not Kerry Jamerson.

I was 10 years old during the strike squad days and I cannot remember Floyd Lawrence getting any consistent run in that side.

At 10 u wouldn't remember much.  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 03:02:53 PM »

By the way....I believe Floyd Lawrence was the defensive mid on the Strike Squad, not Kerry Jamerson.

I was 10 years old during the strike squad days and I cannot remember Floyd Lawrence getting any consistent run in that side.

Palos..Kerry was also a defensive midfielder for the strike squad. Floyd Lawrence actually lost his place in the squad to Kerry. Floyd played more building up to the final WC qualifying round but by the final 6 WC qualifiers for Italia 1990, Kerry started 6 times and played the full 90 minutes 5 times, usually alongside Hutson Charles (who then lost his starting spot to Elliott Allen on Nov 19). Floyd made 2 substitute appearances in that span. After that Kerry went on to cement his spot in the squad for a few more years.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 03:30:43 PM »
Defensive mid-field were always around. They use to get acknowledgement, but not as now. Victor Gamaldo, Bert Grell, RuggedTom Davis(Paragon), Leon Carpette,Brian Rigsby, Chinapoo and even Sedley Joseph(old half back/center) used to play that position. Sedley was a very good distributor of the ball, especially the counter-attack long ball.

I think this position got real important after the 74 WC. Holland caused everybody, especially Brazil to change the way they played. the socalled "jojo bonita" went out of the window for a while. They employed men like Toninho Cerezo, Junior, to name a few to counter Holland and the Euros physical attack brand of football.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 04:22:06 PM »

Palos..Kerry was also a defensive midfielder for the strike squad. Floyd Lawrence actually lost his place in the squad to Kerry. Floyd played more building up to the final WC qualifying round but by the final 6 WC qualifiers for Italia 1990, Kerry started 6 times and played the full 90 minutes 5 times, usually alongside Hutson Charles (who then lost his starting spot to Elliott Allen on Nov 19). Floyd made 2 substitute appearances in that span. After that Kerry went on to cement his spot in the squad for a few more years.

I suggest you recheck your records my friend.  Floyd Lawrence started the final 2 games against Guatemala and USA in those WCQ's.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »
Lawdddddddddd all yuh not easy d man is ah elephant he memory good.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »

I suggest you recheck your records my friend.  Floyd Lawrence started the final 2 games against Guatemala and USA in those WCQ's.

Not according to this website!

Floyd Lawrence did not play against the USA and was a substitute both times against Guatemala...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »

What records are you talking about. Floyd Lawrence didn't start any of the last 5 or 6 strike squad WC games and he did not play a minute on November 19. Truth is, I hardly remember the fella, so I checked the records. My memory ent that good. But I would have remembered if he played on Nov 19. he didn't

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »
I remember Lawerence post SQ. I rember he in dat Shell Final in JA in 90.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »

What records are you talking about. Floyd Lawrence didn't start any of the last 5 or 6 strike squad WC games and he did not play a minute on November 19. Truth is, I hardly remember the fella, so I checked the records. My memory ent that good. But I would have remembered if he played on Nov 19. he didn't

The funny thing is..I not disagreeing with you that Lawrence was a strike squad defensive midfielder, but you wrong in saying Kerry was not. And if you check the starting lineup in the squad for the WC qualifiers, you will see where Kerry replaced Floyd in the starting lineup...I assume by strike squad you talking pre Wc 1990

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
palos
Hero Warrior

Test

« Reply #27 on: Today at 11:11:51 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way....I believe Floyd Lawrence was the defensive mid on the Strike Squad, not Kerry Jamerson

I dont recall everything but..... I believe they both played that bolt position  or the sweeper in front de back four

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2008, 08:48:16 PM »
What about Toninho Cerezo and Roberto Falcao,
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2016, 09:32:07 AM »
MAKALELE !

1]; } ?>