April 27, 2024, 06:50:04 AM

Author Topic: Richard Thompson Loves that Soca Beat  (Read 1173 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Richard Thompson Loves that Soca Beat
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:09:14 PM »
Richard Thompson Loves that Soca Beat
Spikes - the New Heroes of Athletics
Link: http://www.spikesmag.com/features/richardthompsonlovesthatsocabeat.aspx

Top Trinidad sprinter Richard Thompson talks to spikesmag.com about his passion for Soca music and how it helped inspire him to an Olympic 100m silver medal.

If any form of music was made for sprinting it is probably Soca music. With its super-fast beat and up-tempo blend of calypso and percussion the Trinidadian sound pounds to the very heartbeat of running.

For Olympic 100m silver medallist Richard Thompson it is no coincidence that his favourite pastime away from the track is music, and more particularly Soca music.

Brought up in the Caribbean republic of Trinidad and Tobago, which embraces Carnival, a festival with Soca music at the very core of it, Thompson cannot recall a day when music was not a central part of his life.

“In my spare time music is probably what I do most,” he explained to spikesmag.com from his US-base. “It helps clear my mind, it helps calm me down. Depending on the type of music it can get me fired up and energetic and ready to really run well.”

Raised in Cascade, Thompson fondly recalls listening to the music of the likes of Jim Reeves and Elvis Presley as well as the local calypso and soca music played by their parents as a youngster.

He later learned how to play the drums and even started to perform and sing his own songs at school shows, although he admits his passion for music sometimes landed him in hot water.

“At school I would drum on the desk and I got into trouble doing it from some teachers,” he adds.

As his sprinting career has skyrocketed Thompson has packed away his drumsticks and preferred to use his feet rather than his hands or voice.

Yet music has remained close to his heart and he has not ruled out a return appearance to the stage.

“I have a lot of respect for these guys who do it professionally, although I don’t consider myself one of those,” he explains. “Some people have pushed me about doing a song and if the time is right, and I do have the time, then I’ll definitely consider giving it a shot.”

Music and Thompson, however, appear closely linked.

The leading Trinidadian artist De Fosto wrote and performed a song We Silver Hero reliving the sprinter’s Olympic silver medal a tribute the sprinter describes as "an honour".

Thompson has also become friendly with Trinidad’s most high profile artist – Machel Montano – and in Miami last autumn the 100m sprinter was invited on stage by the Soca legend and treated the crowd to a few of his favourite dance moves.

But what gives Thompson the biggest buzz performing live or performing on the track?

“They are both a form of entertainment and both really give me a good vibe,” he explains. “I don’t have a problem doing a song some day, I just love entertaining people, so I guess you could say they are comparable. If I had to choose, it’s a no-brainer – I love track and field that’s what I do but Soca music gives me a good response as well.”

And the last song he listened to before going on to win Olympic silver in Beijing? Blazin D Trail by Machel Montano...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Thompson Loves that Soca Beat
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »
Nice keep flyin d flag.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 11:11:49 PM »
I'm not surprised bout this article..Couple months now my friend told me how much Thompson acknowleged his love for SocA on his facebook profile....

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »
Yeah the man is a Machel fan til he dead and even after!
BORN TO DO IT

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:01:37 PM »
Ato he doh like G.O.A.T roti though?

1]; } ?>