April 28, 2024, 05:10:05 AM

Author Topic: Caricom Thread  (Read 12674 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caricom, Cuba defend TT against US
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2011, 02:58:01 AM »
You know if a US citizen buys a cuban cigar in Trinidad he is breaking the law (US).
American citizens and companies are not allowed to do any kind of business with certain countries, Cuba, Iran, North Viet Nam to name 3.
About 4 yrs ago I was called in to a meeting where this was being explained (because we do some business with IRAN at partner level) because somehow somebody thought I was American, anyhow I listened to what was being said and in a nutshell, if you go to a meeting and Iran is to be discusssed you must remove yourself from the proceedings and also not sign on any document that involves Iranian interests.
Pretty serious stuff.
If Hilton TT had hosted Raul and were paid for doing so without State Department permission I guess Alli Khan if he is American could have faced charges.

Americans buying Cuban cigars right here in America... not sure whey yuh getting yuh info from.

doh mean it legal,

Excerpt from the
Helms Burton act.

SEC. 110. <<NOTE: 22 USC 6040.>>  IMPORTATION SAFEGUARD AGAINST CERTAIN
            CUBAN PRODUCTS.

(a) Prohibition on Import of and Dealings in Cuban Products.--The
Congress notes that section 515.204 of title 31, Code of Federal
Regulations, prohibits the entry of, and dealings outside the United
States in, merchandise that--
            (1) is of Cuban origin;
            (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through
        Cuba; or
            (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article
        which is the growth, produce, or manufacture of Cuba.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:08:41 AM by fishs »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
You know if a US citizen buys a cuban cigar in Trinidad he is breaking the law (US).
American citizens and companies are not allowed to do any kind of business with certain countries, Cuba, Iran, North Viet Nam to name 3.
About 4 yrs ago I was called in to a meeting where this was being explained (because we do some business with IRAN at partner level) because somehow somebody thought I was American, anyhow I listened to what was being said and in a nutshell, if you go to a meeting and Iran is to be discusssed you must remove yourself from the proceedings and also not sign on any document that involves Iranian interests.
Pretty serious stuff.
If Hilton TT had hosted Raul and were paid for doing so without State Department permission I guess Alli Khan if he is American could have faced charges.

Americans buying Cuban cigars right here in America... not sure whey yuh getting yuh info from.

Nah dem so called cubans yankee does buy rolled and imported from the DR....it does say cuba on it, Fidel vex fuh dat for years

Real cubans, yuh cyah even cross the cdn border into the u.s. wit dem ting.
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
Addressing both ah allyuh... Cuban products, including (legitimate) Cuban cigars are being sold legally right here in the US, the products just not widely distributed nor widely available.  That same Helms-Burton act proscribed travel to Cuba except for families (5 visits per year) and charitable purposes.  The law was at it's strongest when it was first passed in 1996 mainly because the 'Republican Revolution' was still on the wax.  Since then it has been progressively weakened by every sitting president... including Bush.  Some of that is due to philosophical changes over the years, some due to pressure on the US from Europe... and much of it due to Fidel no longer being in power.  Most recently the Obama administration eviscerated most of the more restrictive provisions of the act.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:59 PM »
(legitimate) Cuban cigars are being sold legally right here in the US,

Where?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2011, 08:13:57 PM »

Where?

Not to mention Cuban music. buena Vista Social Club musicians toured a couple years ago. Tower record used to have a repitoire of Cuban music that was unsurpassed. Although it used to be thru 3rd party record companies.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 08:33:33 PM »

Where?

If I tell you would it make a difference?  Some ah allyuh like allyuh want to just doubt for the sake of doubting.  I know of at least one shop near where I used to work in L St. in DC rumored to sell them.  I say rumored because I don't smoke, not even the fake puff of the cigar bars.  I have pardnas who into that though and I've heard them talk about how much they cost.  Maybe they was fake, I wouldn't know.  There was an article in the Washington Post some years back about the Cuban cigar factories, and one family in particular who did a growing trade in hand-rolled cigars to specialty shops in the US... including a shipment to the Smithsonian, of all places, as part of an Expo on indigenous trade.

If yuh need directions to de shop let mih know... I can't remember the name but one or two phone calls could fix that.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 08:41:02 PM »
Not to mention Cuban music. buena Vista Social Club musicians toured a couple years ago. Tower record used to have a repitoire of Cuban music that was unsurpassed. Although it used to be thru 3rd party record companies.

Exactly.  Ry Cooder went Havana in 1997 to make a "documentary"... end up recording with nearly all them musicians... I should know because I end up buying CDs from the Buena Vista Social Club, Compay Segundo and Ibrahim Frerrer... both of whom were also part of the group. Despite the ban on doing trade with Cuba, they were allowed by both the Cuban and US governments to visit the US and tour... including selling out Carnegie Hall for weeks on end, before moving onto Europe. 

The simple fact of the matter is that the embargo has always been selectively enforced.  Helms-Burton was political theater manufactured by Jesse Helms to capitalize on the solid power the Republicans under Gingrich enjoyed. I not in DC anymore so I don't get exposed to all the inside tidbits that float around the local media, but this was fairly well-known in the political circles.  Politics of convenience.  Check this link from a "goodwill" visit to Cuba by an older group of softball players http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/sports/us-softball-ambassadors-to-cuba.html?scp=1&sq=softball,%20cuba&st=cse

Technically that not supposed to happen under the embargo.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:00:00 PM by Bakes »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2011, 03:28:53 AM »
I AM SORRY
Kamla to Castro after Hilton fiasco:
By Sue-Ann Wayow (Express).

PRIME MINISTER Kamla Persad-Bissessar has apologised to Cuban President Raul Castro who was not allowed to stay at the Hilton Trinidad, St Ann's, for the Caricom/Cuba Summit held last week in Port of Spain.

After the hotel's application was not processed in time, the venue for the summit had to be changed to the National Academy for the Performing Arts in Port of Spain, while Castro was accommodated at the Kapok Hotel, St Clair.

Persad-Bissessar said she apologised to Castro and he accepted her apology.

"When I met his Excellency President Castro, I said to him I was sorry about what happened, so I have told him that to his face. He says he understands. It is not the first time that they have faced a blockade from the US and they have been living under that for many, many years," she said yesterday.

"He said he was not upset about it in the sense that they have faced that kind of behaviour before, indeed the entire country has been blockaded for the past 50 years so he was very happy to be here, his visit was very beneficial for us and I do believe for Cuba as well."

Persad-Bissessar was speaking to reporters at her annual Christmas Toy Drive that began yesterday at Skinner Park in San Fernando.

When asked if she would accept any help from former prime minister Patrick Manning who held a press conference in San Fernando earlier yesterday, Persad-Bissessar said no.

"I would never ask for his help. The country rejected him at the polls. Until the country tells me otherwise, they voted for my government we will continue to govern to the best of our ability. I believe that we are fine. The Government is doing well and the country is doing very well. Other countries have collapsed. Others are seeing a lot of problems in their economics, in security matters. We have brought the crime down. We have managed the economy and we are enjoying this Christmas season."

Persad-Bissessar said, "Mr Manning wants my job but he has to wait for that until there is an election and should the people so vote for him then so be it. But at the moment we were elected by the majority of the people in this country and I do not intend to call an early election."

And she said even though there were threats to shutdown the country by various unions, she was not phased.

"I heard people are threatening to shutdown the country and it has not shutdown yet.  I am not of the view that the country will be shutdown but the unions are entitled to act within the law to further their interest. This is a democracy and I have nothing against them using the law within the law to take such action as they see fit."

The Prime Minister gave out gifts to hundreds of children who attended the event. She said this year there will be six venues where toys and treats will be given.

Today she will continue to give out gifts in Malabar at the Larry Gomes Stadium.

"As a Government, as a nation there is nothing better that we can do than to treat our children today," she said.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 08:08:44 AM »

Exactly.  Ry Cooder went Havana in 1997 to make a "documentary"... end up recording with nearly all them musicians... I should know because I end up buying CDs from the Buena Vista Social Club, Compay Segundo and Ibrahim Ferrer... both of whom were also part of the group. Despite the ban on doing trade with Cuba, they were allowed by both the Cuban and US governments to visit the US and tour... including selling our Carnegie Hall for weeks on end, before moving onto Europe. 

The simple fact of the matter is that the embargo has always been selectively enforced.  Helms-Burton was political theater manufactured by Jesse Helms to capitalize on the solid power the Republicans under Gingrich enjoyed. I not in DC anymore so I don't get exposed to all the inside tidbits that float around the local media, but this was fairly well-known in the political circles.  Politics of convenience.  Check this link from a "goodwill" visit to Cuba by an older group of softball players http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/sports/us-softball-ambassadors-to-cuba.html?scp=1&sq=softball,%20cuba&st=cse

Technically that not supposed to happen under the embargo.

Nothing you have said so far refutes that it is illegal for an American to purchase Cuban cigars in Trinidad or is it you just can never be wrong ?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »
Blunder after blunder
By Raffique Shah

FIVE weeks ago, in my column titled "Diplomatic Blunders", I wrote, "...The US has the right to decide what countries it has relations with, so excluding Cuba as a trade or investment partner is not the issue. What is criminal is for the US to use its might to deny other countries, as well as all corporations, their right to have relations with Cuba..."

I was referring to America's unjust trade embargo against Cuba, but also to the People's Partnership Government's seemingly confused foreign policy positions. Trinidad and Tobago had abstained at a UNESCO general meeting at which Palestine was granted full membership, with an overwhelming majority of nations voting in favour of the motion.

Ambassador Rodney Charles, a PR spin doctor, responded, gleefully pointing out that he had not attended the UNESCO meeting in Paris, hence he could not be the person who abstained. Rodney failed to address the substantive question: Why did T&T abstain? I shall add only that the response-letter purportedly came from some academic whose language and style mimicked Rodney to the "PR"!

But back to my prescient quote above, in which I accused Washington of wielding the big stick against sovereign states that have relations and conduct business with Cuba. How was I to know that the US would rub its "bumsee" in our face a few weeks later? Or, put a different way, that we would voluntarily, not to add meekly, bow to a policy position that was not even invoked, and in the process embarrass ourselves?

What are the facts—at least, as far as we know them? The dates and venue for the fourth Cuba-Caricom Summit were agreed upon three years ago. So an alert Foreign Affairs Ministry would have done all the preparatory work to host the meeting in Port of Spain. Minister Suruj Rambachan might not have had adequate forewarning of President Raul Castro's attendance, although, because it evolved into a state visit, suggests otherwise.

A head of state does not just "ups" and visit another country; there is protocol to be observed in such matters. Whatever the facts are surrounding Castro's visit, what is not in dispute is that our government decided that the Summit venue (and accommodation for delegations) would be the Trinidad-owned, taxpayers-funded Hilton hotel.

On the eve of the meeting, the hotel's manager, Ali Khan, read a Hilton Worldwide statement to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar: you, Madam PM, will not be allowed to use my hotel for your conference, nor will we accommodate Castro and his Cuban entourage!

To compound the insult, the PM, rather than quietly telling Khan that he could hop on the next flight to Karachi, bows to the man's effrontery. She shifts the conference to NAPA. She mumbles something about "not wanting to meddle in affairs pertaining to the sovereignty of the USA", or words to that effect.

Whaaaat!!!

Madam PM, in case you did not notice, it is our sovereignty that's at stake here. That hotel is our property. Hilton International may have a management contract to operate it, that's all—and I bet we pay them a hefty fee for their services. But they ought never to dictate to us, to our government, what functions we can hold there, or what guests the hotel would accommodate.

You, Madam PM, should have told them to "shove it"! You would have had all of your citizens behind you had you adopted such a stance. Instead, you buckled. And you know what is worse? It seems that Khan's letter in which he sought "permission" may not have even reached the relevant US authorities. Maybe he had no directive from the US. He simply waved the embargo document, and that was enough to justify embarrassing all nationals of this country.

This is nonsense. I am offended. No! I am outraged. And this has little to do with Castro or Cuba. I feel sure Raul would have taken the jab in stride, and would have settled in at Kapok quite nicely. Also, NAPA seems to be a great venue for such conferences, certainly better than the Hilton.

But it's the insult, the "bottom in we face" that I cannot take. As I wrote in my column referred to above, the USA is entitled to choose its friends and to make enemies. For example, communist China is one of its biggest trading partners. Last year, the US exported $91 billion in goods to China, and imported $364 billion—a $273 billion deficit. China holds US$2.85 trillion (and counting) in foreign exchange reserves.

Washington dare not tell Beijing anything about its system of government, about alleged human rights violation...nothing! You don't mess with "Chin". Recently, China vetoed a UN Security Council vote on intervention in Syria. Analysts project that China will replace the USA as the world's largest economy within a decade. And it is moving apace with sophisticated, not to add deadly, armaments.

Don't mess with "Chin"!

The USA also has been strengthening ties with Vietnam, a country that humiliated the US armed forces between 1968 and 1975. Vietnam is also a communist country.

So why continue punishing Cuba? Not even Washington knows the answer to this seemingly stupid question. Cuba poses no threat to the USA, except for its stellar achievements in the fields of health, education and technology—in spite of the blockade.

I wish I could end this column with, "Don't mess with Kamla!" I can't. So disappointing.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Blunder_after_blunder-135391063.html
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 11:38:58 AM »
when I said she was weak a couple yrs ago man on here was vex...........but d fact is she is weak and worse her govt are pansies in the way they handle our International affairs.............d only time dey show any kinda belly was to keep fuuckin financier out uncle sam court and it was ah under handed yellow belly trick by ah elevated ambulance chaser steups
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »
Nothing you have said so far refutes that it is illegal for an American to purchase Cuban cigars in Trinidad or is it you just can never be wrong ?

I never said anything about I can never be wrong... that is your own childish insecurity talking.  In fact I specifically said I wasn't speaking from personal knowledge since I don't smoke... I don't suppose your raging estrogen levels permitted you to ponder that concession?  My point, which was stated very clearly, was that what's illegal under the embargo isn't as clear cut as people, such as yourself, ignorant of what the realities are, are willing to suggest.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
when I said she was weak a couple yrs ago man on here was vex...........but d fact is she is weak and worse her govt are pansies in the way they handle our International affairs.............d only time dey show any kinda belly was to keep fuuckin financier out uncle sam court and it was ah under handed yellow belly trick by ah elevated ambulance chaser steups

I think the question hinges on ownership of the Hilton...

On the eve of the meeting, the hotel's manager, Ali Khan, read a Hilton Worldwide statement to Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar: you, Madam PM, will not be allowed to use my hotel for your conference, nor will we accommodate Castro and his Cuban entourage!

To compound the insult, the PM, rather than quietly telling Khan that he could hop on the next flight to Karachi, bows to the man's effrontery. She shifts the conference to NAPA. She mumbles something about "not wanting to meddle in affairs pertaining to the sovereignty of the USA", or words to that effect.

If TnT indeed owns the Hilton, then yes... she shoulda respond to the cable with a nice "Thanks, but f**k off".

If Hilton owns the hotel then they could say who they want and don't want staying at it... is their property. The TnT government in turn should do whatever in its power to then run them out the country, either by diverting business or otherwise blacklisting them.  The problem here isn't the US government.  Marriott and dem is a setta Mormons from Utah, as is Orrin Hatch, an influential high-ranking Republican.  The ones who up in arms against Castro is the Republicans... not really hard to see the links there.  To blanketly put this on "the US/American government" as Shah does, is to display a lack of appreciation for political realities as they exist in the US.  This smacks of Republican involvement more than it does the actual US government.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
bakes, it is well known that the vast majority of so-called "cuban" cigars sold in north america are not actually from cuba. i have no doubt that the place yuh thinking of does say they selling cuban cigars. that doh make it so. whappen, yuh buy some? nah, nah, yuh eh getting yuh money back.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »

Where?

If I tell you would it make a difference?  Some ah allyuh like allyuh want to just doubt for the sake of doubting.  I know of at least one shop near where I used to work in L St. in DC rumored to sell them.  I say rumored because I don't smoke, not even the fake puff of the cigar bars.  I have pardnas who into that though and I've heard them talk about how much they cost.  Maybe they was fake, I wouldn't know.  There was an article in the Washington Post some years back about the Cuban cigar factories, and one family in particular who did a growing trade in hand-rolled cigars to specialty shops in the US... including a shipment to the Smithsonian, of all places, as part of an Expo on indigenous trade.

If yuh need directions to de shop let mih know... I can't remember the name but one or two phone calls could fix that.

Cuban Cigars are illegal in the USA period. There is no personal use exemption or any of the other things people think is possible. In fact, it is also illegal for a us citizen to acquire or consume Cuban cigars, even while traveling abroad. Unenforceable, but that's the law.

Many places selling "cuban" cigars go one of 2 ways. 1. Have a Cuban make the cigars. (I met a guy who, via my crap Spanish and his poor English related that his grandmother taught him how to make cigars from his grandmother back in Cuba.) 2. make a cigar in the style of a Cuban cigar. i.e. "This is exactly how they make a Cohiba back in Cuba)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »
Cuban Cigars are illegal in the USA period. There is no personal use exemption or any of the other things people think is possible. In fact, it is also illegal for a us citizen to acquire or consume Cuban cigars, even while traveling abroad. Unenforceable, but that's the law.

Many places selling "cuban" cigars go one of 2 ways. 1. Have a Cuban make the cigars. (I met a guy who, via my crap Spanish and his poor English related that his grandmother taught him how to make cigars from his grandmother back in Cuba.) 2. make a cigar in the style of a Cuban cigar. i.e. "This is exactly how they make a Cohiba back in Cuba)

Thanks for your stellar contribution on what the law is in the US... pay closer attention to what was actually said and you'll see that we are all clear as to what the Helms-Burton Act says.  Now go take up yuh argument with the folks at JR's at 1730 L St., Ozio in the 1100 block of Connecticut and the Smithsonian American Indian Museum.  Make sure yuh tip off the FDA while yuh at it.  I'm sure they'll be able to educate yuh on all the exceptions, official and unofficial as they apply to the policy.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »

Thanks for your stellar contribution on what the law is in the US... pay closer attention to what was actually said and you'll see that we are all clear as to what the Helms-Burton Act says.  Now go take up yuh argument with the folks at JR's at 1730 L St., Ozio in the 1100 block of Connecticut and the Smithsonian American Indian Museum.  Make sure yuh tip off the FDA while yuh at it.  I'm sure they'll be able to educate yuh on all the exceptions, official and unofficial as they apply to the policy.

If you could point me to any information about the official exceptions to the policy on Cuban cigars, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
If you could point me to any information about the official exceptions to the policy on Cuban cigars, I'd appreciate it.

Go back and read the thread.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »

Go back and read the thread.

I can't seem to find any place in this thread containing, or pointing to, specifics about official exceptions to the Cuban cigar policy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2011, 04:23:09 PM »
I can't seem to find any place in this thread containing, or pointing to, specifics about official exceptions to the Cuban cigar policy.

Then what the hell yuh asking mih?

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »
Cuban cigars are legally sold in the US... you might have to pay a hefty price for that puff or you could take the alternative, which is a cigar rolled by a Cuban in Miami or Key West. Those are called Cubans also...

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 05:46:52 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Pretty serious stuff.

The US State Department has issued some policies like these for Venezuela also.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2011, 09:08:23 PM »

I never said anything about I can never be wrong... that is your own childish insecurity talking.  In fact I specifically said I wasn't speaking from personal knowledge since I don't smoke... I don't suppose your raging estrogen levels permitted you to ponder that concession?  My point, which was stated very clearly, was that what's illegal under the embargo isn't as clear cut as people, such as yourself, ignorant of what the realities are, are willing to suggest.

You need to deal with your aggresion man, why whenever you are challenged in a decent way you resort to insults?
All your arguments end this way, I hope this is not your style at work, lighten up and you will have a better outlook to life.
I have said all along that it is illegal for Americans to buy cuban cigars in Trinidad, I really have no idea who buys or sells them in the uS and that was not what I was dealing with I was simply showing how the Hilton chain has to comply to US law in Trinidad. Is that so difficult or must your opinions and responses always be confrontational?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 09:17:07 PM by fishs »

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2011, 09:28:25 PM »
Cuban cigars are legally sold in the US... you might have to pay a hefty price for that puff or you could take the alternative, which is a cigar rolled by a Cuban in Miami or Key West. Those are called Cubans also...

so if a woman in america does go by a hairdresser who hail from rio, dat iz a brazillian? ???  dat doh seem right.  :-\

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2011, 09:45:53 PM »

so if a woman in america does go by a hairdresser who hail from rio, dat iz a brazillian? ???  dat doh seem right.  :-\

nah man is legit, I was in Key West last year and buy some "cubans" on duval street, (de cigar shop had a cuban man rolling de cigars in de shop). Ah see the same deal happening at Mallory Square for the sunset festival, the last part of my original statement was more meant to be humorous. I find it funny that they does call dem cigars "cuban" because it rolled by a cuban. I experienced the same situation in South Beach Miami.

Places do advertise cuban cigars in the US.... how legit is based upon what the seller is feeding yuh.

A Brazilian is ah whole different topic bro... ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:47:46 PM by Daft Trini »

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »
Are Cuban Cigars Legal?
Cuban cigars are illegal for U.S. citizens

The reason why Cuban cigars are not legal in the United States is ingrained in the memory of older cigar connoisseurs, but to younger cigar smokers, the reason can be found in the annals of history. Way back in February of 1962, President John F. Kennedy established a trade embargo against Cuba to sanction Fidel Castro's communist regime, which seized control of the island in 1959, and then began to confiscate private property and other assets (including cigar companies). Castro continued to be a thorn in the side of the United States. In October of 1962, during the height of the Cold War, he permitted the Soviets to construct missile bases on the island capable of striking the Untied States. The U.S. responded with a blockade of Cuba to prevent Soviet ships from delivering the materials to complete the project (not to be confused with the Cuban Trade Embargo, which started in February 1962). Because of Castro, the world never came closer to nuclear war than during the Cuban Missile Crisis. Numerous attempts were made by the U.S. to assassinate Castro (one including the use of poison cigars), but there is some speculation that Castro's cohorts may have gotten to JFK first. Regardless, this Communist Dictator is no friend of the United States, and open trade with Cuba would be tantamount to supporting communism, at least in the eyes of U.S. lawmakers.

As long as Fidel Castro still lives and Cuba's government is still communist, the Cuban Trade Embargo is expected to remain in effect, despite efforts by some who are trying to build support for lifting the ban. In fact, the embargo was made even more restrictive in 2004. United States citizens cannot legally acquire or consume Cuban cigars, even while traveling abroad. This may be a law that is impractical to enforce, but it is still the law. There are substantial fines and penalties for violators, who are at a higher risk of being nabbed if they attempt to bring Cuban products (especially in large quantities) into the United States.

The world may have changed since 1962, but Cuba has not. Even though the United States may trade with other communist countries such as China, Cuba has the dubious distinction of being the only communist country within 90 miles of the United States, and the only communist country with a Castro as its dictator. Also, a large group of politically active Cuban exiles who now live in South Florida still oppose Castro, and continue to support the embargo. Although some may argue that the embargo is not working, since Cuba's citizens are the ones who are suffering (not Castro), and because Cuba is still communist, should U.S. lawmakers lift the embargo and let U.S. citizens decide if they want to support Cuba's economy by buying its products? Or should the embargo continue to be enforced until Cuba installs a democratic government and returns the private property that was seized?

Cuban Cigars are Illegal at Home and Abroad

Technically, although an American citizen cannot even purchase or smoke a Cuban cigar while traveling abroad, there may not be any practical way to enforce the restriction. That being said, a cigar smoker who ever wanted to try a Cuban cigar may want to take the chance while traveling in other countries. Canada and Mexico are not very far from American cities, and those who are planning a Caribbean cruise will find Cuban cigars for sale on many of the islands. There is, however, a problem with counterfeit Cuban cigars being sold to American tourists. To improve the chances of getting the real thing, make your purchase from a reputable cigar store, and not one of the many street vendors that you'll see near the port. Do not buy any more cigars than you intend to smoke while abroad.

Know the Risks

Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515, (Revised September 30, 2004) are administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Criminal penalties for violations of the Regulations can go as high as $1 million for corporations, and $250,000 for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison. In addition, civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation can be imposed by the OFAC.

There are so many great cigars in this world, more than one person can ever sample, that it may not make sense to violate our country's laws just to smoke a cigar from Cuba.

Article source: About.com writer Gary Manelski

Copyright 2008-2011. Big Sticks Fine Cigars. All rights reserved.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »

You need to deal with your aggresion man, why whenever you are challenged in a decent way you resort to insults?
All your arguments end this way, I hope this is not your style at work, lighten up and you will have a better outlook to life.
I have said all along that it is illegal for Americans to buy cuban cigars in Trinidad, I really have no idea who buys or sells them in the uS and that was not what I was dealing with I was simply showing how the Hilton chain has to comply to US law in Trinidad. Is that so difficult or must your opinions and responses always be confrontational?

LOL!

My "aggression"  yuh say boss?  You throw some talk at me about me never being wrong and I responded in kind... since the comment clearly wasn't called for... now yuh coming with some shit talk about my aggression?  Look fella, rock so yes.  Doh worry about my personal or professional life... things criss wid me in that department.

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2011, 12:51:23 AM »

LOL!

My "aggression"  yuh say boss?  You throw some talk at me about me never being wrong and I responded in kind... since the comment clearly wasn't called for... now yuh coming with some shit talk about my aggression?  Look fella, rock so yes.  Doh worry about my personal or professional life... things criss wid me in that department.

Alright pardner I stand suitably chastened.
Hope you have a good day.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2011, 04:58:02 AM »
US to inspect Cuba oil rig in TT
By HORACE MONSEGUE (Newsday).
Monday, December 12 2011

Promising possibilities for the new year for Cuba with the likelihood of finding oil is now proving to be a worrisome development for the United States.

The US responding to revelations by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar that Cuba was on the verge of major oil finds and this country had offered its more than 100 years of expertise — will send inspectors to Port-of-Spain to examine an oil rig which will be in Trinidad en route to Cuba, later this month. The report identified the rig as the “Scarabeo 9” which was built in China and Singapore shipyards with fewer than ten percent of its components American made.

According to a recent report in Bloomberg, “four US inspectors armed with safety glasses and notebooks will set out on a mission in January to protect Florida’s beaches from a Cuban threat.”

The report said that the inspectors will rendezvous in Trinidad and Tobago with the Scarabeo 9, a rig headed to deep waters off Cuba to drill for oil about 70 miles (113 kilometres) south of Florida’s Key West.

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar said last week that Trinidad and Tobago will assist in Cuba’s oil exploration efforts, and she offered TT expertise in the energy sector. Persad-Bissessar said the rig for deep sea exploration will land in TT two days before Christmas. Cuban President Raul Castro last week attended the fourth Caricom-Cuba Summit, held at the National Academy for Performing Arts, when it was relocated from the Trinidad Hilton.

However, the Bloomberg report stated that Repsol YPF SA is making the Scarabeo 9 available to the US inspectors before the rig starts drilling closer to Florida than the BP Plc well that failed last year in the Gulf of Mexico, causing the biggest US offshore oil spill. The exploration poses an environmental, political and diplomatic challenge to the US more than 50 years after cutting off relations with Cuba’s communist regime, the Bloomberg report said.

The extensive report added that the Obama administration’s dilemma is “what steps to take for environmental protection and how much to honour current Cuba policy,” Dan Whittle, Cuba programme director at the New York-based Environmental Defence Fund, said in an interview.

“In the aftermath of the revolution that brought Fidel Castro to power, the US banned exports to Cuba in 1960, withdrew diplomatic recognition, backed the failed Bay of Pigs invasion in 1961 and imposed a full trade embargo in 1962.

“Now generations of animosity between the two nations limit cooperation on safety standards and clean-up precautions for the Cuba drilling planned by Madrid-based Repsol, which would be followed by state-owned companies from Malaysia to Venezuela. A conference on regional oil-spill response being held this week in Nassau, Bahamas, may provide a forum for discussions by US and Cuban representatives.

Repsol can use the Scarabeo 9 without violating the US trade embargo because it was built at shipyards in China and Singapore, and fewer than ten percent of its components are American, according to its owner, Eni SpA.

The report also said that the sanctions would block spare parts from the US for the rig’s blowout preventer, a safety device that failed in the BP spill. The restrictions also require Helix Energy Solutions Group Inc of Houston, which provides oil-spill containment equipment for Repsol in the Gulf of Mexico, to seek a waiver to do so in Cuban waters in case of an accident. US companies seeking to do business with Cuba must ask the Commerce Department, which considers most applications “subject to a policy of denial,” the agency says on its website, according to the Bloomberg report.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2011, 05:41:53 AM »
This embargo could really be that dotish?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>