April 19, 2024, 10:05:01 AM

Author Topic: Groden appointed to CONCACAF body  (Read 4100 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Groden appointed to CONCACAF body
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:37:53 AM »
T&T Newsday

RICHARD GRODEN, general secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF), has been appointed to the Concacaf’s Audit and Compliance Committee, according to a story on the Concacaf website on Wednesday.

Other members of the Committee are chairman Leighton McKnight (Jamaica), vice-chairman Carlos Cordeiro (USA), Bruce Blake (Cayman Islands), Mateo Fabrega (Panama), Rodrigo Pliego (Mexico) and Andrew Griffith (Bermuda).

And the Committee will help ensure that the Confederation manages its finances responsibly as it continues to reform.

The Committee’s primary charge is to confirm the accuracy of Concacaf’s financial accounting as well as to examine its financial statements, consolidated financial statement and the external auditor’s report.

McKnight, a managing partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Jamaica and former President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Jamaica, stated, “I am deeply honoured and very excited to be invited to assist in improving corporate governance in Concacaf.”

He continued, “This critical organisation in our region has faced significant governance challenges in the past, but now has the opportunity to positively shape its future.

“I eagerly look forward to making my contribution as a part of the team, adding significant value to the rebuilding process.” Concacaf president Jeffrey Webb said, “as part of the new Concacaf’s commitment to inclusiveness, accountability and transparency, we have created a Committee that will ensure we remain vigilant and committed to developing the game.

“This committee is comprised of individuals with the highest levels of integrity and competence, and they will help strengthen Concacaf’s future,” he added.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Groden appointed to CONCACAF body
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:07:49 AM »
 :o ??? :-\

Say what now??  Groden??  Dey mean ah fella named Gordon and get the name mixed up?  Cyar be Richard Groden.....nah man.  Must be somebody else.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 05:04:07 PM »
T&T Newsday

RICHARD GRODEN, general secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF), has been appointed to the Concacaf’s Audit and Compliance Committee, according to a story on the Concacaf website on Wednesday.

thaZ as far as i get  :rotfl: obviously anonYmous hacked concacaf website.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:08:39 PM »
I saw this and thought it must be a joke. And when I saw "This committee is comprised of individuals with the highest levels of integrity and competence, and they will help strengthen Concacaf’s future,” well, I just had to laugh. Do they not realise that the integrity of the whole Federation has been damaged irreparably?
Do they not know that this man could be in prison in two weeks time?  :banginghead:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
T&T Newsday

thaZ as far as i get  :rotfl: obviously anonYmous hacked concacaf website.

Yeah boy, that's the part had me weak earlier......not just any old committee yuh know is the Audit and Compliance Committee   :o ??? :rotfl:

I still feel the story mix up Groden with ah next man.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidadian Richard Groden appointed GFF General Secretary
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »
Trinidadian Richard Groden appointed GFF General Secretary
kaieteurnewsonline.com

In its continuing efforts to strengthen the administrative capacity of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF), the Normalisation Committee yesterday informed that they have appointed a General Secretary in the person of the experienced Trinidad and Tobago native, Mr. Richard Groden.

The GFF NC also appointed Ms. Diedre Davis to the post of Assistant General Secretary. Ms. Davis will assume duties on February 24, 2015 while Mr. Groden will commence his on March 02, 2015.

The release further stated that the NC reached out to CONCACAF to assist in the identification of a GS for the NC’s tenure and CONCACAF recommended Mr. Groden who will serve as General Secretary of the Federation during the tenure of the NC and will demit office on the completion of the NC’s mandate.

Ms. Davis will serve as Assistant General Secretary of the Federation and will work directly with Mr. Groden in the coming months and will assume the functions of General Secretary on Mr. Groden’s departure.

Mr. Groden is a former General Secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation; a position he held for 15 years. Additionally, he has extensive experience in the inner workings of the international football network, having served on many FIFA and CONCACAF Committees throughout his career. He also served as CEO of the Organizing Committees of five Trinidad national teams’ appearances at various World Cups including the Soca Warriors in the 2006 World Cup in Germany and the Girls Under-17 finals in 2010 in Trinidad.

Ms. Davis, the release stated holds an MBA from the Australian Institute of Business and a Bachelor of Sciences Degree in International Relations from the University of Guyana. She has nine (9) years professional experience working with the Roraima Group of Companies; her most recent title being that of Human Resources Manager.

The GFF NC noted that they have no doubt that with the exceptional qualifications and experiences of the duo, they will contribute to the success of the federation as well as the growth and development of football in Guyana.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 03:50:24 PM »
No mention of Jack!

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 05:00:33 PM »
And this is the almighty CONCACAF mind you, who completely and extensively, investigated the case of their missing funds and deemed that these two individuals were holy and solely, void of any culpability in that fiasco involving one Jack Warner and that said funds is currently and forever will be in pergatory. They don't need it. Whoever took it and those involved in the caper will forever escape scrutiny and culpability. Meanwhile, back at the ranch. Why didn't the almighty Tim Kee rehire Groden as his new general secretary and Ms. Davis as part of his administration? The answer is quite obvious to us but why would these two individuals be recommended by CONCACAF?
My level of respect for this organization just went from zero to minus zero, the other side of positivity. SMFH.
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 11:20:40 AM »
The infamous Rodent surfaces again. Al we need now is Scampito and fraid-to-travel-Jackula to complete the three musketeers.
Look!, Sancho file de paperwork and let's start extradition proceedings now. Enough is enough.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 09:17:28 AM »
I eh surprised by this move. Seeing that no charges have been brought on him, I guess he is free to pursue employment wherever it would take him. So until Minister Sancho and the Blacklisted file suit against the officials of the former TTFf, that is how this will play out. Absolutely disturbing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 09:19:49 AM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Groden’s appointment an insult to Guyana – Lumumba
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 10:02:54 AM »
Groden’s appointment an insult to Guyana – Lumumba
kaieteurnewsonline.com

General Secretary of the Georgetown Football Association Odinga Lumumba is in disagreement with the recent appointment of Trinidadian Richard Groden as General Secretary of the Guyana Football Federation and is calling for the decision to be reversed.

The outspoken Lumumba claimed that Groden’s selection is nothing short of an insult to Guyana since they were many qualified locals who were overlooked. He is now appealing for a full discloser of the process that led to the appointment of the Trinidadian.

“I don’t like it. This makes me feel like Guyana is a colony. You cannot tell me that there are no qualified Guyanese to be our General Secretary. This infraction is very insulting to us as a nation,” Lumumba declared.

Groden will assume duties on March 2, while Diedre Davis, who was appointed Assistant Secretary General, will commence work on February 24.

Last year the Trinidad Express daily newspaper published that Groden resigned as the General Secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation in May 2013 following a 15-year stint. The Express stated that his tenure was not without controversy as Groden was reprimanded by the FIFA ethics committee following investigations into the infamous cash-for-votes scandal.

A release from the GFF Normalization Committee stated that CONCACAF’s assistance was sought in identifying a GS and the Trinidadian was recommended by the regional body. However, Lumumba is adamant that qualified Guyanese have been overlooked.

“It’s nothing short of amazing what is allowed to happen here. How is it that we can remain silent on such an issue. Did Mr. Groden apply for this job? It’s a backward step and should be corrected. It should be stated publicly why none of the prominent and qualified Guyanese who applied for the post, was selected. What is the problem with Guyanese. Do we lack brains or do we lack integrity,” Lumumba asked.

Lumumba further opined, “I don’t know another country in the world that has a General Secretary not from the said country, what is wrong with us.”

Groden’s appointment is temporary as he will serve until the life of the Normalization Committee expires in September. Lumumba, also the president of Guyana’s leading football club Alpha United, opined that the right thing would have been to award the GS position to a qualified Guyanese and have Groden overlook their growth.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 11:35:49 AM »
Lumumba further opined, “I don’t know another country in the world that has a General Secretary not from the said country, what is wrong with us.”

Yuh doh have to look far: Barbados. The General Secretary there is Canadian ... and is making a difference.

However, to challenge Groden´s infusion, yuh doh need to fan the flames of nationalism. Shouldn´t be hard to find substantive reasons on which to oppose the appointment. Bad look for a Guyana with people working professionally across the region. Also a contradictory look for a progressive man like Odinga Lumumba.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:47:18 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
Much ado about nothing.  Whatever his failings under Jack, Groden is experienced and qualified... and the GFF is currently under the direction of a normalization committee, so they don't have to have a fully transparent or democratic process.  All of this is temporary and being done on an emergency basis.  In seven months things will revert to normal and the GFF will have the opportunity to vote in whomever they feel is best qualified at that point.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:08:43 PM by Bakes »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
... and, in the context of normalization, a non-Guyanese actor is arguably a more sustainable contributor.

Offline King Deese

• BlackKnights15
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2015, 04:13:20 PM »
You know, to borrow a line from the movie "Jerry Macguire" where Renee Zellweiger says to Tom Cruise, "You had me at hello". Mr. Lumumba, you really had me when you opened your mouth. Just when I was thinking we, the people of this small twin island, and this relatively underdeveloped region, didn't have someone speaking out for us, and I mean I was wondering where is Lasana Liburd on this issue, you started by saying what I was feeling and what I wanted to say about this issue, but then you said this, " It would have been better to hire a GS from Guyana and have Richard Groden overlook their growth". You lost me in your stupidity. Even Gomer Pyle would have questioned you as to the true contents in that box of crayons. And then re-questioned you to validate the certainty of your resolve.
I would really like to respond to your level of stupidity, and your assinine remarks, Mr. Lumumba, but I have to abide by the rules and guidelines of this forum. Mr. Lumumba, you and Mr. Webb, CONCACAF, FIFA and the part timers at the ttfa, are not ready for the truth. My biggest regret is that I wasn't a part of Jack Warner's regime. I would be extremely rich today.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 04:26:08 PM by King Deese »
I am the punishment of God...If you had not comitted great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 05:38:34 PM »
Well, if the Guyanese federation has so much confidence in Shabazz, another Trini with connections to Jack, to have hired  Him for the 2018 WC campaign, then we should not be surprise to see they hire Groden to overlook their program for that short period. Like Bakes said, they can hire a Guyanese at the next annual meeting.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 11:21:50 AM »
Deeks, what seems to be missing from all of this is an understanding of what a "normalization committee" is, and why it probably makes sense, as Asylumseeker suggested, that Groden was selected. Incidentally, if we don't look sharp this is precisely the road down which local football governance in TnT is headed.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
Deeks, what seems to be missing from all of this is an understanding of what a "normalization committee" is, and why it probably makes sense, as Asylumseeker suggested, that Groden was selected. Incidentally, if we don't look sharp this is precisely the road down which local football governance in TnT is headed.

Please explain.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Without getting too technical, it's like when an oversight body has lost faith in a company's executives and the business has to be put into receivership... regular administrative functions are put into the hands of a special committee of independent outsiders.  There has been an absolute and total loss of confidence in the ability of the "insiders" to steer the organization back on track, maybe due to their own failings, maybe due to circumstances beyond their control, or whatever. 

FIFA only steps in in extreme circumstances, and when they do so they will do whatever is necessary, including going above the heads of the local Guyanese in this instance, to ensure that recommended changes are implemented.  As explained in the article, the life of the committee is until September when new elections are scheduled.  Until then, the Committee has a to clean up the structure and administration of the GFF without internal resistance from local stakeholders.  The latter part is something which continues to plague our own TTFA, and with our own looming deadline for Constitutional changes in September, we run the risk of inviting similar scrutiny and oversight as Guyana, Cameroon, the Maldives etc.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »
Thanks much!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 03:22:24 PM »
Thanks much!

Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 11:50:08 AM »
Letter to the Sports Editor…An Affront to the Nation’s Football!
kaieteurnewsonline.com

Dear Sir,
With the 31st December, 2014 being the last working day for the General Secretary, Guyana Football Federation, automatically a vacancy existed. However, what is most “mind boggling” is the length of time the Secretariat operated without the services of the individual, in excess of one month! That with Guyana, a sovereign state occupying an area of 83,000 square miles; a population of approximately 740,000 and ten administrative regions, Editor; it remains a “gross insult” on the intelligence of this nation, for a Trinidadian to be appointed as the Federation’s General Secretary! Are we a nation of dunces and functional illiterates? Is this a mandate of FIFA/CONCACAF?

If, this logic becomes applicable, then a “conflict of interest exists”. By the way did the Trinidadian, apply for the job? What are his qualifications, and if they are acceptable then why is it he is no longer employed in his native country? By the way maybe the Guyanese public can be apprised of his most recent termination of services in Trinidad!

Editor, it would be remiss of me not enquire, if at no juncture whatsoever did the Normalisation Committee, in its “infinite wisdom” attempted to: review all previous appointments of paid administrators, not inclusive of General Secretaries. And definitely I can attest that both Mr. Kurt Douglas and Miss Abigail Osborne; both former employees of the GFF, in their respective categories of: FIFA funded/sponsored GFF National League, Coordinator and the GFA, Office Manager! Suffice it to say that, both individuals were overly honest in their deliberations, compounded by an extremely high degree of efficiency and professionalism, in addition to the relevant academic qualifications.

Within this context, what more must the Guyanese public ask for? Moreover, since with the Trinidadian’s appointment, apart from a triple digit salary; accommodation, meals and transportation (internally) would have to be provided and paid for! While not foregoing modern amenities, in relation to accommodation i.e. hot and cold water; cable T.V, maid/cook and possibly a gardener depending on the location!

So, from all indications with the Normalisation Committee being subservient to the “whims and fancies” of FIFA/CONCACAF, then in actuality, Mr. Urling as Chairman, Blue Caps is “shooting himself in the foot”. Since promoting national interests, youth development, transparency and accountability have all been “swept under the carpet”, meekly surrendering to the dictates of a foreign domination! Can it be ascertained if of all the local applications for the post of General Secretary failed to fulfill the requirements including retired Army Officer, Frankie Bispham, a former P.S.? Surely, the late Aubrey Henry, former GFF, Hon Treasurer, would be “turning in his grave” to envisage hiring a General Secretary, from Trinidad, is amounting to approximately $1,000,000 (GUY) Monthly!

Finally, the appointments of K. Juman Yassin, James Bond and Alexi Ramotar that engaged representatives of FIFA, over a 2 days period, G.C. (04.02.15) in an article captioned “FIFA Officials arrives for 2 days” by Rawle Toney, Editor, once again the “cart is being placed before the horse”! Wherein, with the two former, both of whom are Attorneys – At-Law, but devoid of Constitutional expertise, smacks professionalism! Since as it relates to National Sports, Mr. Yassin as the Head of the GOA, had never in the past done anything in his vested powers to mediate, in the ongoing football disputes, despite the fact that football is an Olympics Sport! As it relates to Mr. Bond, the APNU Parliamentarian is also the President of Camptown FC, an affiliate of the GFF, via the GFA! With under-development continuing as a norm in the capital city, both administratively and lack of competitions continuously, in addition to an outdated Constitution, definitely remains a “red herring”, so, in actuality to appoint the two lawyers, along with Mr. Ramotar, who is not publicly known as Constitutional knowledgeable, is a clear manifestation of “nepotism”.

Once more I must enquire why Attorney – At – Law, Mr. Saphier Husain for his boldness and meaningful successful challenge (s) on constitutional matters of national interest was overlooked.

Editor, at this crucial juncture in our nation’s football history, which coincidentally is older than Trinidad & Tobago, in excess of 100 years, with Guyana, achieving the milestone first! When will the “Affront on National Football” cease to exist forthwith? Where is the collective voice of the GGF General Council? Are they once again being reduced to “toothless poodles” that meows like a domestic cat!

Lester Sealey

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Urling defends Groden’s appointment as GFF General Secretary
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 11:23:41 PM »
Urling defends Groden’s appointment as GFF General Secretary
By Rawle Toney (Guyana Chronicle)

WHEN the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) Normalisation Committee announced it had a new General Secretary in Trinidadian Richard Groden, the backlash was a series of articles and social commentary about his appointment.

Groden will serve in the same position he once held in the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) for 15 years before he resigned in 2013, according to the GFF Normalisation Committee and will have Diedre Davis as his assistant.

In a letter to the affiliates of the GFF, Normalisation Committee Chairman Clinton Urling said that Groden will officially take the post on March 2, while Davis will begin to serve the Federation on February 24.

The GFF was without a general secretary following the sacking of Ms Mabiola Howard in December who had taken over from Noel Adonis.

According to Urling, Groden will serve in the capacity of general secretary during the life of the Normalisation Committee which, according to FIFA, is until the end of September and during that time, Davis will be his assistant. After his (Groden) departure, Davis will take the position on a permanent basis.

But the cry of ‘foul’ by the Federation’s affiliates is on the backdrop of Groden being one of four officials who escaped punishment from FIFA over the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) bribery scandal that saw the-then GFF president Colin Klass being banned from the sport for over two years.

The Trinidadian received just a warning from FIFA’s ethics committee for his involvement in the Qatari Mohamed bin Hammam cash-for-votes scandal.

“An investigation does not assume guilt. If your employer says that someone had stolen money and they had to investigate all their staff, it doesn’t mean that all their staff are guilty Groden was never suspended by FIFA, he was cleared of all the charges,” Urling told reporters at the 704 Sports Bar yesterday, when cornered and grilled about the concerns over the hiring of the new general secretary.

He added, “We had some members of the football fraternity who were suspended and some of them are still in football, some even at the GFF remain. GS Groden was cleared so I’m not sure when we hear reprimanded.”

President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) Horace Burrell, on October 14 2011, was banned by FIFA Ethics Committee, for six months because he was involved in the ‘CFU scandal’, so too was Guyana’s Noel Adonis who was suspended for 30 days and ordered to pay a fine of 300 Swiss Francs.

Adonis later returned to his job as general secretary until he was replaced by Ms Howard who was later sacked.

Urling explained that the Normalisation Committee reached out to FIFA and CONCACAF for help “because you look around Guyana in terms of experience with general secretaries. We’ve had two decades of basically one or two persons, acting and serving as the ‘GS’ in Guyana and we would have had to go back to say: Mr (Noel) Adonis or Mr (George) Rutherford, we want to hire you; and we said that we are going to look for someone external.”

“I heard people say that there’s no foreign general secretary anywhere in the world, but, I can take you to Barbados where Joyce Stewart is Canadian. Similar concerns were expressed there as well with her appointment, but, at the end of the day, experience and competence always trump when people start talking about nationality,” Urling said.

The GFF Normalisation Committee Chairman further noted: “This is a Caribbean Single Market and Economy (CSME). If Clinton Urling, after my stint with the Normalisation Committee says that I want to apply for a job at one of the federations or associations in the Caribbean, I hope they don’t reject me because I’m Guyanese.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is Groden good for Guyana?
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »
Is Groden good for Guyana?
By Santokie Nagulendran (Kaieteur News)

Controversy seems to follow football in Guyana at a relentless rate, and despite the intervention of FIFA in the country’s footballing affairs, the recent appointment of Richard Groden as General Secretary of the Guyana Football Federation (GFF) has ignited fierce debate within the football fraternity.

Richard Groden served as General Secretary of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) for fifteen years, including organising logistics during the nation’s historic 2006 World Cup qualification.  On paper, his career has been excellent, with frequent achievements and accomplishments standing out. However, if that was the end of the story then there would be no controversy regarding his appointment and those in Guyana would be celebrating his arrival.

The problem lies in the fact that Groden was General Secretary for the TTFF under Jack Warner, who was notoriously suspended by FIFA for taking bribes from officials, a case which also led to the suspension of GFF President Colin Klass in 2011. Groden was charged by FIFA for his behaviour on August 11th 2011, yet in September 2011, a month before his disciplinary hearing, he provided a sworn written statement to FIFA that revealed the nature of Warner’s dealings at a CFU meeting which took place earlier that year. The following month, October 2011, FIFA dropped all charges against Groden and let him off with a warning.

Groden was never suspended or even found guilty of any illegal activity, but he did receive a reprimand from FIFA, leading to the question of why FIFA would directly appoint him to be part of the footballing resurrection taking place in Guyana at the moment?

The reason is: experience. The Normalisation Committee leading the GFF have also appointed a young assistant General Secretary in the form of Ms Diedre Davis, and she will take over Mr Groden’s role in September. Yet Ms Davis is relatively inexperienced in the world of football administration and it is clearly felt she would need somebody to train and guide her as she eases into the role. Despite his reprimand, Mr Groden was never suspended by FIFA and they must feel he is as such, a suitable candidate to serve as a mentor.

Acclaimed Trinidadian journalist Lasana Liburd, who knows more about Groden than most, weighed in with his insight into the whole affair: “Richard Groden is a very controversial figure in Trinidad and Tobago for his role in the 2006 World Cup bonus dispute and corrupt nature of the TTFF at the time. However, after Jack Warner exited the stage, Groden briefly ran a bankrupt TTFF and he started the turnaround that sees T&T in the more progressive position it is in now.”

Lasana also felt that Groden’s appointment would be a positive one for football in Guyana: “I think he can help Guyana, every man deserves a chance at redemption and he started that in his final two years in the job (as General Secretary of the TTFF), his experience can be vital in the short term, which seems to be what Guyanese football needs.”

To add fuel to the fire, General Secretary of the Georgetown Football Association, Odinga Lumumba, came out last week and called Groden’s appointment ‘an insult to Guyana’ and highlighted the need for Guyana to appoint more staff from Guyana rather than overseas.  Whilst Nationalism is often used to gain support for an argument, it cannot hide the truth, which is that, in football administration, as with any job, you must appoint the best possible candidate available regardless of where they were born, and Groden represents the most experience candidate available to Guyana at this very moment. Clearly the overall vision of the GFF is for Ms Davis, a Guyanese National, to occupy the role for years to come after Groden steps down in September.

So whilst Guyana, a nation where football administration has hindered development for decades, debates the moral nature of the appointment, we must remember that it is an official decision sanctioned by FIFA, and they, as world governing body, would not make such an appointment if they doubted the credibility of Groden.

Groden’s appointment has split opinion, but his vast experience of working as a General Secretary means he must be seen as an advantage for Guyana; if Guyana did not appoint him, a rival Caribbean federation surely would have.  The fixed term nature of his appointment also means that he will help a young Guyanese person develop into the role for the long-term, and hopefully in years to come we will view his tenure as General Secretary as one that helped the Golden Jaguars on their long road to success.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 01:53:23 PM »
"However, after Jack Warner exited the stage, Groden briefly ran a bankrupt TTFF and he started the turnaround that sees T&T in the more progressive position it is in now.”

This is rich in irony.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 12:23:16 PM »
"However, after Jack Warner exited the stage, Groden briefly ran a bankrupt TTFF and he started the turnaround that sees T&T in the more progressive position it is in now.”

This is rich in irony.

From Lasana??? Seriously???

1]; } ?>