March 28, 2024, 03:28:37 AM

Author Topic: Gone are the days of de allrounder  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gone are the days of de allrounder
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:22:32 AM »
Gone are the days of the allrounder I remember my grandfather telling me he played football and cricket for Trinidad I believe he was on the bench for the national football team but never played but he also played cricket my question to you guys is  why we had so much sportsmen back in the day that played two and three different sports for the national.  is it a good thing for our sportsmen and women to stick to one sport. and how many of you the forumies played more that one sport .
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gone are the days of de allrounder
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »
Gone are the days of the allrounder I remember my grandfather telling me he played football and cricket for Trinidad I believe he was on the bench for the national football team but never played but he also played cricket my question to you guys is  why we had so much sportsmen back in the day that played two and three different sports for the national.  is it a good thing for our sportsmen and women to stick to one sport. and how many of you the forumies played more that one sport .

There are still individuals who have enough talent and can develop enough technical ability to play multiple sports, even though I believe it is far more difficult to do so given the way most sports have evolved over time.

However, the biggest hindrance I think is the sports calendar. Football is a year round sport. There is no time for a youth to play cricket and football. When are you going to train for one vs. the other. How do you skip a few league matches to go and play a Test Series against Australia. No football team will sign you.

back in the day when sports were more 'amateurish' and the seasons more divided this was easier to achieve. But I think the calendar is one big hindrance, cuz in the US you still see a few college kids excelling in mulitple sports cuz the seasons are separate, so you can train, play and gain excellence in one sport without really sacrificing the other. This hardly exists outside US sports, although I remember some of the women's Swedish soccer players actually played pro-ice hockey as well.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 12:02:16 PM »
Dey have some talents out there, but we just don't know. Two Saints men I went to school with who represented Trini at football and made football their careers were top junior athletes in track and swimming.

Tiger Fitzpatrick was a national 400 and 800 champion in track at U-15 level, and Scott Sealy won a few Carifta medals in swimming and still has a couple of national records in breastroke.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 02:12:15 PM »
All Rounder?  Dat hard to do.  Shaka Hislop used to do High Jump, run 400 and 800, open the bowling in cricket and then wicket keep.  He was a decent batsman but he went with what he did best.  Kevin Moze was an amazing batsman and so was Kona Hislop.  Andre Lawrence was a decent footballer.  Is best to choose de most lucrative option if sport going and butter yuh bread.  Kevin Moze is a Dentist now...he did not choose to advance himself in Sports period...despite his abundant talent and brave disposition at whatever he was doing on de field.

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 02:25:16 PM »
Didn't Brian Lara play for the National U14 before he decided to take it further with the cricket ?

But it really not so difficult to be multi-disciplined these days if is just for minor league levels.  If yuh want to be a professional then that is a whole different thing for the same reasons Filho pointed out.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:57:21 PM »
Didn't Leonson Lewis run the 100m, regularly?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:23:50 PM »
allyuh men talking high school. i think we talking baout college. at the yoth level there will always be kids who can play multiple sports well - well enough to represent their country. but i think the discussion is abut those who can play multiple sports at the highest level - that is, senior professionals
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 07:46:42 AM by Filho »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:58:47 PM »
allyuh men talking high school. i think we talking baout college. at the yoth level there will always be kids who can play multiple sports well - well enough to represent their country. but i think the discussion is abut those who can play multiple sports at the highest level - that is, senior professionals

In that case , game, Zen and 51 all in one night.  ::)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »
I played second division basket ball back home switch from football can play both sports so does that make me an all-rounder  ??? ???
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 08:41:16 PM »
Dem days didn't have TV, Xbox 360, PS3 and Internet.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline jimmel14

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 07:27:52 AM »
it still happens, I know this girl Ariel Du Quesnay who played for the National U17 ( soca Princesses) and also Played on the National U21 women team for Hockey this same year. So it does happen, its just if the individual possesses the mental, and Physical ability to do dual sports

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »
U cyah even get dem 2 play 1 u want dem 2 b an allrounder.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:25 AM »
Bravo,Lara both play football & got good touches

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 01:05:56 PM »
wha about drinkin' beers and sweatin' at the same time... Nuff Trinis doing that for years.

I also see man pelt wind ball with a beer in one hand- not a drop spill, and he take like 3 wickets.... now that is all round talent

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:07:29 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>