April 25, 2024, 06:21:40 PM

Author Topic: Caribbean goal-keepers in the MLS  (Read 3530 times)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Caribbean goal-keepers in the MLS
« on: December 25, 2008, 06:17:08 AM »
Is Rickettes signing with The Galaxy the first? I cant recall any national keeper from the caribbean signing directrly with MLS in the past.

------------------

CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy have signed Jamaican goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, the club announced Tuesday. An experienced goalkeeper at the international level, Ricketts joins the Galaxy after previous stints with Village United of the Digicel Premier League in Jamaica, Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League and Bradford City of League Two in England. Ricketts, 31, will officially be added to the Galaxy's roster, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Clearance (ITC). Per league and team policy, details of the contract were not disclosed.

"I have known Donovan for a number of years as a goalkeeper with the Jamaican National Team and have always been impressed with his physical qualities. After a closer examination of the player, I am absolutely amazed with his abilities both on and off the field," said Galaxy General Manager and Head Coach Bruce Arena. "It is also a position that we felt the need to improve and believe that he will be a great addition to our team and has the potential to be one of the best goalkeepers in MLS."
At 6-foot-4, Rickets is a commanding presence in the box. A member of Jamaica's 1998 World Cup squad as a 21-year-old, Ricketts has made 67 international appearances for his country. He boasts an impressive 11-7-6 record in 24 World Cup qualifying matches, including all eight of Jamaica's games during qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Despite recording three consecutive shutouts at the end of the qualifying campaign, including one in a 1-0 win over Mexico in Kingston, Jamaica on October 10, Ricketts and the Reggae Boyz narrowly missed out on advancing to the final stages of the 2010 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying, losing out to Mexico on goal difference. Earlier this month, he helped lead Jamaica to the 2008 Digicel Caribbean Championships where they defeated Grenada 2-0 in the final.

A native of Montego Bay, Jamaica, Rickets started his professional career playing for his hometown club of F.C. Waddadah before signing with Village United, who plays in Jamaica's top league, in 2002. In January 2004, he moved to England, signing with Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League. Ricketts never played a game for Bolton and in July 2004 was signed on loan by League Two side Bradford City, who then signed him on a permanent basis at the end of that season. He spent four years with the Bantams, appearing in more than 115 games for the club before returning to Jamaica to again sign with Village United this summer.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caribbean goal-keepers in the MLS
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 06:39:01 AM »
Shaka Hislop did it already

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 08:02:01 AM »
Shaka Hislop did it already

Was he actively playing for T&T when he played in the MLS? What MLS team did he play for? What club did he transfer from?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 08:37:52 AM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2008, 11:49:25 AM »
First XI: Soca Warriors.
That should shut up his little boasting ass for a while. RF when you desire to speak about things first in the caribbean when it comes to football always, i repeat always look to T&T first. Then you can look to Jamaica. I know with  what you may want to counter but i am waiting.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
That should shut up his little boasting ass for a while. RF when you desire to speak about things first in the caribbean when it comes to football always, i repeat always look to T&T first. Then you can look to Jamaica. I know with  what you may want to counter but i am waiting.

I am interested to know if there are any others from teh Caribbean. I ask the question because I know its EXTREMELY rare that the MLS import keepers, mainly due to the fact that the USA produces world class goal-keepers. Shaka himslef played football for many years at the highest level in the UK, so his moving to take up a job in the USA to me was step down for him...not a step up.

I'm still interested to konw of other keepers from the caribbean or even other central American countries moving straight from a local club to the MLS.

I leave it up to one of the more knowledgeable posters on here to answer this question, Sub1. In th emean time, you have a Merry Christmas! :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 01:41:40 PM by reggae-fan »

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2008, 02:44:28 PM »

I am interested to know if there are any others from teh Caribbean. I ask the question because I know its EXTREMELY rare that the MLS import keepers, mainly due to the fact that the USA produces world class goal-keepers. Shaka himslef played football for many years at the highest level in the UK, so his moving to take up a job in the USA to me was step down for him...not a step up.

I'm still interested to konw of other keepers from the caribbean or even other central American countries moving straight from a local club to the MLS.

I leave it up to one of the more knowledgeable posters on here to answer this question, Sub1. In th emean time, you have a Merry Christmas! :cheers:
You too RF.  :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 05:24:41 PM »

So ... what is it for Ricketts?  in your estimation ... a step where?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »
Nah RF, Shaka presumably was ready to call it a day, so much like Dorkaeff, Donadoni, and others in the twlight of their careers, signed for an MLS club, probably felt he had nothing more to prove after playing at the highest levels in the EPL and starring for us in the WC.  Believe he only played 1 season for Dallas before officially retiring from the sport albeit likely hastened by a back injury.  So it was a step towards retirement.  Anyway, Merry and blessings for 2009
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 04:24:46 AM »

So ... what is it for Ricketts?  in your estimation ... a step where?

Ricketts is currently with Village United in the Jamaica league. Village United is a sem-pro unit at best. So a move to a professional club where he will take up one of the alloted international slots obviously is a step up for him. Granted, the player had other options, but work permit laws prevented him from signing with a championship side in the UK.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2008, 06:03:03 AM »
It's a step towards opportunity. The step up/step down frame ... the way you've presented it ... is not the most insightful ... certainly doesn't bring justice to to some of the dynamics mentioned in the thread. For instance, one would have to be wearing blinders to blandly cast Keller's move to Seattle as a step down (based on your frame we would arrive there). 

Anyway, as to perspective on the MLS keeper picture in the last two years ... have a look here and here.

Knockabout here for additional perspective.

Ultimately (not from the links), you'll probably conclude that contributing factors to the MLS pic also have to do with with keeper longevity, the quota on foreign players, the critical need of the American game, where MLS sources players (or has had success sourcing players), the developmental draft, $$$, immediate needs ...  it's a pretty big picture.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 06:05:34 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2008, 07:25:58 AM »
It's a step towards opportunity. The step up/step down frame ... the way you've presented it ... is not the most insightful ... certainly doesn't bring justice to to some of the dynamics mentioned in the thread. For instance, one would have to be wearing blinders to blandly cast Keller's move to Seattle as a step down (based on your frame we would arrive there). 

Anyway, as to perspective on the MLS keeper picture in the last two years ... have a look here and here.

Ultimately (not from the links), you'll probably conclude that contributing factors to the MLS pic also have to do with with keeper longevity, the quota on foreign players, the critical need of the American game, where MLS sources players (or has had success sourcing players), the developmental draft, $$$, immediate needs ...  it's a pretty big picture.

Step up/down in terms of the competitive nature of the league. Hislop's move from the EPL where he faces the likes Manchester United, Arsenal, and the likes of Milan etc (europe) week-in week-out is definately a "step down" to a league where perhaps the most potent striker is a Carlos Ruize or Dwayne DeRosario.

Anyway, The MLS has exported some good gola-keeper talent to foreign leagues all over the world, i just thought I'd takje a look at the other side of the fence...and it appears they rarely attract goalies to their league.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2008, 09:13:53 AM »
Steups RF is Christmas give us a chance with yuh chupid comparisons nah.

Yuh come beating yuh chest figuring that Ricketts was the first goalie...yuh get schooled and instead of acknowledging a FACT, yuh try to belittle the player.

I know you happy for your countryman as he get a wuk, but yuh doh have to move so and start up nuttin.

Drink some ginger beer and sorrel, eat a pastelle and rock back nah man.

Seasons Greetings.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2008, 09:22:05 AM »

Step up/down in terms of the competitive nature of the league. Hislop's move from the EPL where he faces the likes Manchester United, Arsenal, and the likes of Milan etc (europe) week-in week-out is definately a "step down" to a league where perhaps the most potent striker is a Carlos Ruize or Dwayne DeRosario.

Anyway, The MLS has exported some good gola-keeper talent to foreign leagues all over the world, i just thought I'd takje a look at the other side of the fence...and it appears they rarely attract goalies to their league.

If Shilton or Seaman were still playing today and opted to come to MLS, would that be a reflection of either's lack of ability, a decline in their ability or a fit with where they are in their careers? Ricketts gets a call from Reggiana or Verona ... his time at Village aside, step-up or step-down from Bradford?

Him seh bwoy, cho! Italy or Merika? Dollars or euros? Hmm. (Mind you, both clubs are Serie C teams). Step up or step down? It depends? Money a mek? My read of Ricketts career is that he has NOT engaged in a whole lot of career-planning.

This is opportunity knocks. Arena likes the player. Availability meets opportunity. Nothing wasn't a gwaan fi him. Why not? Walk bettah dan siddung, nuh true?

Especially in the case of keepers, for reasons mentioned before earlier in the thread even by you :), the 'step-up/step down thing' is better viewed as relative to (where) the player (is as a player at that moment)  and not just merely on an assessment of how 'competitive'? one views the league in which the player plays or is heading to.

Obviously I'm not going to argue whether Kicking for Village is on par with kicking for Toronto (we don't even have to take to the field to figure that one out ;) ... personally more partial to Seba ...) but I am saying that  ... to herald Ricketts signing in the MLS at the same moment as .... say Keller's ... just by saying 'step-up/step-down' misses some of the plot ... at the heart of your contention is a sense that "di bwoy good ... him good him good him ... him get MLS contract rah rah, ray ray and him buss local direct to farin ... and he's better than [fill in the blank ______ ______] ...

Hence why you sought out this Caribbean comparison ... which unmasked is/was actually a futile attempt at Yard-Trini one upsmanship ::)

So I ask ... you seriously want to place Ricketts on the table as if Village was his first club a Jamaica and him juss buss a MLS? First 'big' gig? Lef outta yah!  (I'm enjoying this  ;D) See the part about Bruce again.

Throughout the thread, you've adjusted from 'is Ricketts the first?' to 'oh, if he's not the first ... well, where did the first come from, was he a national player blah blah blah ...' to stumbling to Village is really a semi-pro club ...  mek mi help yuu ... what a f**kery him end up back a di same place whey him did start, nuh true?

No retreat, no surrender.  :rotfl: Oh, I'm sorry ...  2014.

By the way, the answer to your initial/modified/second question is Jorge Campos.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 09:24:27 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
RF, you are truly a disinginuous fella.

Tell me, what is the point of all the qualifications to your question? Is Ricketts the first goalie who is still playing for his national team, to sign from a caribbean club to the MLS. huh? That is akin to asking if Shaka is the first caribbean goalie to sign from the EPL to the MLS right after a World Cup............whose name starts with the letter 'S...........and rhymes with 'macka'?

You're so intent on dismissing Shaka that you don't realize that by calling his move to MLS a 'step down', you're actually devaluing Ricketts' accomplishment.  Wasn't it you who said that the MLS has sooooo much world class goalkeeping talent...

Taking your step up criteria into further consideration...didn't Rickets play some club football in England? In fact, he signed for an EPL club, took a 'step down' to Division 2, then took another 'step down' to Village United. Now he is moving to MLS...a 'step down' from the league he was signed to when he first left JA. I'd (almost) see your point if you were talking about some young goalie staright out of Jamaica who'd only ever played in JA. But let's get real..Ricketts is a veteran with European experience who should never have been playing in JA in the first place...

Anyway..good luck to the fella. I for one find he is a real talent. Glad to see any caribbean player getting that opportunity, especially given the level of his current club.

By the way, is Dwight Yorke the first caribbean  player to play in the EPl after signing from Australia, after signing from the EPL, after winning the Champion's league....

No wait, is KJ the first caribbean player to do sommersaults after scoring goals in three different leagues all in the same country....for 3 different teams..with 3 different hairstyles

No wait....just how many meaningless questions can I come up with? :devil:

heheh...best of luck to Ricketts. This T&T vs. Jamaica fight down is stale no a$$
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:56:55 AM by Filho »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »

Guys, I believe you are reading too much into the topic. I am still waiting to get a list of caribbean GOAL-KEEPERS (or even Central America) that have played in the MLS. At the moment, Shaka Hislop seems to be the only one to have made the move (From England)

For the record, Hislop would make my top 10 EPL goal-keepers of the past decade.  Who would forget the 10 saves he pulled off vs Sweden to prevent a mauling in the world cup opener  ;)

And by the way Filho, how did thread turn out to be a T&T vs Jamaica beat-down?  My initial post on the thread contained an article about Ricketts signing with the Galaxay along with a follow up question regarding keeprs to have made the move before him.

I suppose anything regarding Ja being posted here is always errupting people's emotion.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:32:23 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 08:33:30 AM »
Forget MLS - How much keepers you export to the UK ?
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »
RF...is Ricketts available for the HEX ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 08:53:07 AM »
Forget MLS - How much keepers you export to the UK ?

Rickettes is the only one I can recall moving from the Jamaica top flight leage to the lower divisions in the UK.
I believe the USA perhaps leads the region in the quantity/quality of the keepers it has exported to leagues accross Europe. Casey Keller I believe played both in Spain, Germany and the UK.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »
RF...is Ricketts available for the HEX ???

No!

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 10:08:52 AM »
Is Rickettes signing with The Galaxy the first? I cant recall any national keeper from the caribbean signing directrly with MLS in the past.

------------------

CARSON, Calif. -- The LA Galaxy have signed Jamaican goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts, the club announced Tuesday. An experienced goalkeeper at the international level, Ricketts joins the Galaxy after previous stints with Village United of the Digicel Premier League in Jamaica, Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League and Bradford City of League Two in England. Ricketts, 31, will officially be added to the Galaxy's roster, pending receipt of his P-1 Visa and International Transfer Clearance (ITC). Per league and team policy, details of the contract were not disclosed.

"I have known Donovan for a number of years as a goalkeeper with the Jamaican National Team and have always been impressed with his physical qualities. After a closer examination of the player, I am absolutely amazed with his abilities both on and off the field," said Galaxy General Manager and Head Coach Bruce Arena. "It is also a position that we felt the need to improve and believe that he will be a great addition to our team and has the potential to be one of the best goalkeepers in MLS."
At 6-foot-4, Rickets is a commanding presence in the box. A member of Jamaica's 1998 World Cup squad as a 21-year-old, Ricketts has made 67 international appearances for his country. He boasts an impressive 11-7-6 record in 24 World Cup qualifying matches, including all eight of Jamaica's games during qualifying for the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Despite recording three consecutive shutouts at the end of the qualifying campaign, including one in a 1-0 win over Mexico in Kingston, Jamaica on October 10, Ricketts and the Reggae Boyz narrowly missed out on advancing to the final stages of the 2010 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying, losing out to Mexico on goal difference. Earlier this month, he helped lead Jamaica to the 2008 Digicel Caribbean Championships where they defeated Grenada 2-0 in the final.

A native of Montego Bay, Jamaica, Rickets started his professional career playing for his hometown club of F.C. Waddadah before signing with Village United, who plays in Jamaica's top league, in 2002. In January 2004, he moved to England, signing with Bolton Wanderers of the English Premier League. Ricketts never played a game for Bolton and in July 2004 was signed on loan by League Two side Bradford City, who then signed him on a permanent basis at the end of that season. He spent four years with the Bantams, appearing in more than 115 games for the club before returning to Jamaica to again sign with Village United this summer.

reggaebamcee,is me berris , I just want tuh wish yuh ah merry merry christmas and all de best for de newyear

......NOW HAUL YUH MODDA C0NT FROM HERE !!! 

IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2008, 08:12:53 AM »

Guys, I believe you are reading too much into the topic. I am still waiting to get a list of caribbean GOAL-KEEPERS (or even Central America) that have played in the MLS. At the moment, Shaka Hislop seems to be the only one to have made the move (From England)

For the record, Hislop would make my top 10 EPL goal-keepers of the past decade.  Who would forget the 10 saves he pulled off vs Sweden to prevent a mauling in the world cup opener  ;)

And by the way Filho, how did thread turn out to be a T&T vs Jamaica beat-down?  My initial post on the thread contained an article about Ricketts signing with the Galaxay along with a follow up question regarding keeprs to have made the move before him.

I suppose anything regarding Ja being posted here is always errupting people's emotion.

save it hoss. you have the wrong fella. and I'll give until the beginning of 2009 to find a new line to end your posts, cuz dat one getting stale. you seem to think people here have a prob with JA.

you self, yuh say yuh waiting for a list of goalies, and saying now that you only know of Shaka. But earlier when we told you Shaka, you say nah, is not that you talking about, you only want goalies coming straight from the caribbean and how Shaka move was a step down...yadda yadda. you jess playing the a$$ and most people here know it.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ricketts = MLS Player of the Week
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 10:33:33 AM »
the yardie save the galaxy ass this weekend.

not a trini but still a caribbean player. don't hate...congratulate.

NEW YORK -- Los Angeles Galaxy goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts was voted Major League Soccer's Player of the Week for Week 4 of the 2009 season. Ricketts had five saves and withstood 12 shots as the Los Angeles Galaxy played to a 0-0 draw with Chivas USA in this season's first installment of the SuperClįsico.

This is Ricketts' first Player of the Week award, and this marks the first time since 2006 that two goalkeepers (Kasey Keller in Week 2) have been named Player of the Week in the same season. Troy Perkins and Joe Cannon took home the award in Weeks 13 and 27 of the 2006 season.

Ricketts was poised in goal for the Galaxy, starting in his first MLS game and weathering three early opportunities from Chivas USA to keep the Galaxy level. In the 17th minute Chivas USA forward Eduardo Lillingston broke past the Galaxy back line and into a one-on-one position with the Galaxy keeper. Ricketts blocked Lillingston's shot and Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez cleared the ball out of play.

Ricketts was tested again in the waning moments of the second half. After Greg Berhalter was sent off in the 79th minute for denying a goal scoring opportunity, the Galaxy were forced to play a man down for the final 11 minutes of the game. The 31-year-old MLS newcomer denied both Chivas scoring opportunities in stoppage time, including a low hard drive from Chivas USA midfielder Sacha Kljestan.

Ricketts, from Montego Bay, Jamaica, signed with the Los Angeles Galaxy on Dec. 23, 2008. He began his professional career with Jamaican side Village United before moving to English club Bradford City where he made 104 appearances from 2005-2008. Ricketts has played a significant role in Jamaica's FIFA World Cup qualifying efforts in 2002, 2006, and 2010, notching 72 career appearances for the Jamaican national team.

The Major League Soccer Player of the Week is selected each week of the MLS regular season by a panel of journalists from The North American Soccer Reporters (NASR). The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/.

2009 MLS Player of the Week Winners
WEEK 1: Fredy Montero (Seattle Sounders FC)
WEEK 2: Kasey Keller (Seattle Sounders FC)
WEEK 3: Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids)
WEEK 4: Donovan Ricketts (Los Angeles Galaxy)

1]; } ?>