April 26, 2024, 11:26:20 AM

Author Topic: Blessings/Pray/Advice during these seemingly 'troubled' times in TNT....  (Read 3707 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
 As many take the time to celebrate this special time of the year, I know there are some who are also afflicted by  various degrees of 'loss.' To those folks, I wish to offer a special pray and good wish for the strength and faith to move on despite the many afflictions.

Different people do have varying degrees of tolerance, resilience and adaptability. Even though, I have endured the cold climes for many years, at this time, I am looking forward to  a retirement back home. This place will never be 'home' no matter all the blessings. There is a physical comfort, safety. and  comfort but there is also a psychological detachment that is stronger than what is.

Reading the latest news in TNT does not do  a lot to comfort one who is looking southward. The rash of recent home invasions, robberies and callousness for human life are major deterrents yet I am comforted  by those expatriates from foreign European lands who have  chosen to reside in Trinidad. How are they doing it?

As I plan for this retirement, it is with hope faith and a greater love for TN that compels me to believe that home could still be a 'choice' maybe for at least six months of the year.

A special blessing to all who are afflicted with  loss at this time of the year.

For those who are most fortunate, what advice would you convey to someone for  a safe , healthy and prosperous existence in TNT?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 02:18:22 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Blessings/Pray/Advice during these seemingly 'troubled' times in TNT....
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »
But ehh I wasn't asking a rhetorical question? wait nah it eh have no answer to this? or is the answer too obvious?
Man posting about all other stories around the globe and one set ah ole talk but no one cyar  talk something about the daily  vicissitudes about life in TNT?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:33:31 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »
but alberta ent u went down for  months ,....anything happen to u ? Just doh go certain places ,and doh flams .Them places like up toco and blancheues still like ole trini
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 08:43:18 PM by Quagmire »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:41:48 AM »
TNT like every country on earth have a crime problem. Yes u could get rob etc and we ignorant just like we friends up north man get stab because he place a drink on a man car. D majority of d murders drug or domestic related. So we eh no worse than anywhere else. We just not accustom 2 d high crime rate so we does bawl but I does move about normal. I eh not goin out because I fraid I get rob.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:49:07 AM »
trini still sweet.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 11:01:02 AM »
Yep my gfriend who splits her week between London and Paris just came home for Xmas and concurs wit your assessment.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 12:46:28 PM »
Fuh real!!! the allure of TNt is what makes  it a compelling retirement option in my humble opinion. I know there are many folks who doh see it as such but I am just saying for me that is my choice.  Crime is NOT endemic to only TNT. 

I guess in all I am asking if in fact, in todays TNT culture, what aspects of daily life has changed so as to safe guard against being an innocent victim of crime?  I don't think one could always know what to expect in some situations. For example, earlier on this year, a foreign student simply walking with his girlfriend  in Calgary, was accidentally shot in the eye, when  alleged rivaling gang members were shooting at each other. How does one safeguard against that? Don't walk the streets at certain times?

I also realize that the Trinidad I grew up in, ( when one could have open windows and neighbors could stand outside to watch T.V.) is not the same. Times, beliefs,  have changes. No culture is static...... so what are the new norms, beliefs and values for enduring daily life in TNT?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 02:07:13 PM »
yeah, but this notion that crime is not endemic to T&T and every country has crime, does not account for the characteristics of the crimes being committed ... or the general landscape or a rising sense of impunity among some elements at street level ....

Sure, crime has a random element to it and it also has a deliberate element to it ... the law takes both orientations into consideration ... but in practical terms wha going on is a lil more pernicious

How de saying goes? Doh piss on me and tell me it raining ... the comparison to places far and wide is ah lil facile b/c whereas some ghastly scenes go down abroad, there is a level of scrutiny, accountability and the like present in the law enforcement sector abroad that inspires a lil more confidence than what we're witnessing in T&T ... personal anecdotes of milk, honey and wanton abandon aside ...

I agree with Quagmire ... doh go certain places and doh flam ... yeah! but even with ppl governing deyself accordingly, there's still an unacceptably huge gaping hole as it relates to crime ... again, personal anecdotes of milk, honey and wanton abandon aside
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:08:49 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »
per capita we ovrwhelmed with crime and doh even mention the abundance of kidnappings, the amount of unsolved crimes and the general ineptitude of the protective services coupled with the amount of criminality in the same services.

We have a damn troubling sceanrio

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:57:07 PM »
Well look nah ah have a partner who just came back from Trinidad two days ago. The man has been here for about  ten years and already he declared that he eh looking forward to going back in a hurry.

The man had to go home on account of his mother's illness and the stories he related of ineptitude in the medical institutions around health care was appalling. He related about not even venturing out in  the old liming spots. This from a man who used to liming and feting down the place. He eh even make a beach lime. He said he watched more cable T.V in Trinidad than before.

Look nah it is a sad legacy  when it comes to  the point that yuh have to live in fear, move about in fear and to be always bombarded with fear.

Allyuh think it is time for an all out curfew? allyuh think is time we have a 'real BAD ASS ' top cop ruling with a heavy fist? allyuh think is about time the army staged a take over and we resort to  military rule?

Ah doh remember the year it could have been in the late 80's or 90's but around that time I recalled visiting TNT and it had the military presence all up and down High street in Sando. The question I keep  asking: how come it have a group of European expats living it up in Trinidad and eh talking about leaving the island for greener pastures, yet it have some   Trinis wanting to distance  themselves from the island?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 01:38:43 PM »
What ever happened to these messages about our country?

“Our nation’s calypso”(1962). Lord Brynner sang:

Because this is your land, just as well as my land
    This is your place and also it is my place
    So let we put our heads together
    And live like one happy family
    Democratically, educationally,
    We'll be independently.
    ……………………
    Conscientiously, Independence
    And constitutionally, Independence
    Forget all this lousy rumor about racial equality
    If you are an East Indian and you want to be an African
    Just shave your head like me
    Then they can't prove your nationality

Sparrow’s : “Our Model Nation”

Trinidad and Tobago will always live on
    Colonialism gone Our Nation is formed
    We go follow our leaders they always do their best
    We want to achieve so we're going to aspire
    And we bound to be a success.

It is a miracle all these different people
    Can dwell so well
    You see we are educated to love
    And forget hatred
    You see tis so
    You people who are foreign
    I've got a message to give you when you're going
    Spread the word anywhere you pass
    Tell the world there's a Model Nation at last

My  funny how times changes ; the ills of colonialism brought us closer as a nation what will it take to change  today's situation and unite us in a positive progressive mode?

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 12:16:26 PM »
So where do people sit with these issues? When we examine a changing society, obviously there is no one answer or conclusive  factor that accounts for the change. But what factors do you think have had the most influence in changing TNT society to date?

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 02:54:12 PM »
So where do people sit with these issues? When we examine a changing society, obviously there is no one answer or conclusive  factor that accounts for the change. But what factors do you think have had the most influence in changing TNT society to date?

I was home for a week in november, several things struck me. So many cars on the highway - nice cars. The prices of things in the malls, the prices of food. But yet people seem to have money. Everyone worldwide talking about a recession, I didnt see it reach Trinidad yet. AS my brother said, Trinidad is one real rich country, alot of people there making money.

But there seems to be an utter disregard for "law" at times. Case in point. Traffic coming from town, we were going to my grams in Arima. Truck trying to cut in front but is bumper to bumper traffic and we couldnt move. The man almost force us off the road so he could get in front of us. And when my moms move all the way over to the left, to get away from him he cut across onto the shoulder to come back in front of her and then leaning out of the car yelling and cursing. You know if this was US, someone would already call 911 and state troopers or towm popo coming on the scene.  I have seen tourist websites advise to avoid driving in T&T because there are no enforced traffic rules. And people laugh and think it's funny and say "thats a trini". But thats the regular attitude it seems.

Houses well barred up, people have to live like they in prisons to feel safe and they still can't be safe. While we were there there was a case in San'do where the thieves break into the house through the roof becaus the house was pretty burglar proofed, and the mom and her son were hiding. They chase the mom onto the upper balcony of the house and she fall,  a steep drop cause the house was on a hill. Dead on spot. Few days later big smash up near KayDona becase some idiot break the light at full speed. Knock down the lamp post split his car in two, course he died right there. And people parking their cars on the road to run over to look at the body. More traffic because of rubber neckers than debris. Coming back down later 6 or 7 house after that accident, still traffic, more accidents. No light working at that intersection and the police didnt see fit to put police there to direct traffic. 

Too many car accidents, kidnappings, murders and missing people. And for such a small place anyone ever wonder about just how many missing people we have ahd where they went? Some prominent cases in the 80's and early 90's - Juliet Tam and Oma Nanan anyone remember them?

The country needs a better law enforcement situation because right now it seems like the ones we have either not equipped to deal with the crime or give up on the situation. The people need to stand up and say enough is enough, give us back our country, make it safe for us and our children and there children. But (and this is pretty cynical of me,)  I don't see it happening. I see the crime escalating until it goes too far. We had a case of a US singer being robbed and now negative attention is being drawn to the country. Perhaps (unfortunately) if a well known persona is brutally attacked or god forbid killed, perhaps then people will say enough is enough. Because all I see right now, is people living in T&T walking around saying to themselves "as long as it ent happening to me, I good" then you read the papers the next day, lament about how bad the country has gotten, but carry on with your business cause it wasnt you this time.

AB - the european expats living it up seem to be better protected than the T&T citizens themselves, or perhaps the "criminal elements" know who to go after (i.e John Q Public) so as to avoid active police investigations. What do you think?

One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »
THE BLODIEST END
We will win back T&T
by Joel Julien

Thursday, January 1st 2009

The year 2008 has ended with close to 550 murders and with acting Police Commissioner James Philbert promising to "make a greater effort to prevent what we started with in 2008".

The "start" Philbert was referring to was the murder of eight people between Old Year's Night 2007 and New Year's Day 2008. Those killings were the catalyst for what turned out to be the bloodiest year in the country's history.

Philbert made the statement yesterday, as he and two members of his executive addressed members of the media at the Police Service's final media conference for the year at Police Administration Building, Port of Spain.

According to statistics presented by Deputy Commissioner of Police, Gilbert Reyes, up to yesterday, 543 people were killed for the year. The Express count, however, stood at 549 up to yesterday evening.

According to police statistics, 386 people were killed for the comparative period in 2007.

The Port of Spain Division accounted for 163 of the country's murders for the year, almost doubling last year's total of 86 for the same period.

"This year was a very challenging year for law enforcement, with the increase in serious crimes, especially homicides," Reyes lamented.

Police figures show that more than 18,000 serious crimes, including homicides, kidnappings and sexual offences, were committed in the country for the past year.

The total number of serious crimes for 2007 was just shy of 18,000.

"Although a tremendous effort was made, we did not get the desired effect, so we have to come up with a new approach for 2009," Reyes said.

"We must change our approach. We need to look at gangs especially."

Reyes said police investigations showed that the majority of this country's "absurd" murder toll were in some way related to gang activity.

"We need to cut the manpower supply to the gangs, but we need citizens to assist by providing information to law enforcement," Reyes said.

He said because there was a large number of "unemployable youths" leaving schools, they automatically graduated to the gangs.

However, Philbert said the situation was the exact opposite for the Police Service. He said manpower shortage was the greatest challenge the Police Service had been faced with for the year.

Reyes said the Police Service was looking at the Los Angeles model of dealing with gang violence to help local enforcement officials curb this country's gang problem.

"We commit to do something differently in 2009, to win back our country", Assistant Commissioner of Police in charge of Crime, Raymond Craig, added.

Curbing the country's current rapid increase in illegal firearms is also high on the Police Service's agenda for next year, Craig said.

Craig said this was the genesis of a great deal of the country's crime problems and the police are seeking to implement a two-pronged attack on illegal guns.

He explained that this attack would include preventing illegal guns from being imported into the country and also finding where the illegal firearms are being hidden.

Police statistics show that 432 firearms and over 5,000 rounds of ammunition were recovered by police for 2008.
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
Lawlessness is we biggest problem. From d road accidents that mostly cause by speed and d floodin caused by we nastiness.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2009, 07:23:24 PM »

I was home for a week in november, several things struck me. So many cars on the highway - nice cars. The prices of things in the malls, the prices of food. But yet people seem to have money. Everyone worldwide talking about a recession, I didnt see it reach Trinidad yet. AS my brother said, Trinidad is one real rich country, alot of people there making money.

But there seems to be an utter disregard for "law" at times. Case in point. Traffic coming from town, we were going to my grams in Arima. Truck trying to cut in front but is bumper to bumper traffic and we couldnt move. The man almost force us off the road so he could get in front of us. And when my moms move all the way over to the left, to get away from him he cut across onto the shoulder to come back in front of her and then leaning out of the car yelling and cursing. You know if this was US, someone would already call 911 and state troopers or towm popo coming on the scene.  I have seen tourist websites advise to avoid driving in T&T because there are no enforced traffic rules. And people laugh and think it's funny and say "thats a trini". But thats the regular attitude it seems.

Houses well barred up, people have to live like they in prisons to feel safe and they still can't be safe. While we were there there was a case in San'do where the thieves break into the house through the roof becaus the house was pretty burglar proofed, and the mom and her son were hiding. They chase the mom onto the upper balcony of the house and she fall,  a steep drop cause the house was on a hill. Dead on spot. Few days later big smash up near KayDona becase some idiot break the light at full speed. Knock down the lamp post split his car in two, course he died right there. And people parking their cars on the road to run over to look at the body. More traffic because of rubber neckers than debris. Coming back down later 6 or 7 house after that accident, still traffic, more accidents. No light working at that intersection and the police didnt see fit to put police there to direct traffic. 

Too many car accidents, kidnappings, murders and missing people. And for such a small place anyone ever wonder about just how many missing people we have ahd where they went? Some prominent cases in the 80's and early 90's - Juliet Tam and Oma Nanan anyone remember them?

The country needs a better law enforcement situation because right now it seems like the ones we have either not equipped to deal with the crime or give up on the situation. The people need to stand up and say enough is enough, give us back our country, make it safe for us and our children and there children. But (and this is pretty cynical of me,)  I don't see it happening. I see the crime escalating until it goes too far. We had a case of a US singer being robbed and now negative attention is being drawn to the country. Perhaps (unfortunately) if a well known persona is brutally attacked or god forbid killed, perhaps then people will say enough is enough. Because all I see right now, is people living in T&T walking around saying to themselves "as long as it ent happening to me, I good" then you read the papers the next day, lament about how bad the country has gotten, but carry on with your business cause it wasnt you this time.

AB - the european expats living it up seem to be better protected than the T&T citizens themselves, or perhaps the "criminal elements" know who to go after (i.e John Q Public) so as to avoid active police investigations. What do you think?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Verycute1,
Similar sentiments are shared by many who I know of who have gone back and observed similar events of apparent disregard for the laws. I know  I have been going back to TNT since the early 80's and yes I have observed many changes. I witnessed in July a man cussing a police officer in Arima as the officer was trying to   prevent him from going down a one way street. On another occasion, a car was driving down the shoulder and a police officer on a bike stopped the car; the driver make some rude remarks to the officer and took off.

As an objective  'outsider' I try to live each day in Trinidad  by going about my business without drawing too much attention to myself. However, I know that while I am driving, I have to be overly conscious of those around me. By 6 when darkness falls, I want to be inside. Even in daylight if I am traveling with Maxi, there is also a precaution one has to take.

The Trinidad I grew up in is not the same as the one now but it is  and will be always my home. I have not 'cut ties' with it especially when I see people who did not grow up there leaving their foreign lands to make Trinidad their home.

I understand about the reacculturation and the adjustment to anew Trinidad cultural lifestyle. What it takes now is knowing what, where and how to survive in a culture when there is apparent rampant disregard and callousness for human life. Yet with this cloak of crime which seems to have engulfed the island theer  still remains the vestiges of 'family' the sense of community and the  grip of psychological attachment which permeates the soul and fills the void of what  is missing while living in a foreign land.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:26:30 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »
Is like no one wants to talk about the sad times plaguing TNT:

Dengue, dirt and death for all
Martin Daly

Sunday, January 4th 2009

This year, 2009, opens on an unstable international scene. Here at home, Trinidad and Tobago enters the New Year in a deplorable state. For the ordinary citizen, there is very little that is progressive to which to look forward. The probabilities are that violent death by gun or blade or motor vehicle will wipe out our citizens in continuing large numbers throughout the year.

With the onset of another rainy season in the second half of the year, equally large numbers will again become seriously ill with dengue fever. In some cases, the carrier mosquitoes literally bite hapless citizens to death. Few are satisfied that the creaking public health system can meet the challenge. In addition, during those rainy months many citizens will be flooded out of house and home.

Hardly anyone, regardless of their individual voting habit, will doubt the accuracy of these predictions. The historical trends are clear and unequivocal. What is different, even as we begin 2009, is that the stench of the drying mud and the marks of the receding flood two feet up living room and bedroom walls have spread their vicious tentacles, like their colleagues-murder, motor manslaughter and dengue fever-to a wider and wider public, now no longer able passively to see and hear but not feel. What is not different is the recalcitrant "not our fault"-"do not blame us" attitude of our politicians. When we look to our elected officials to help us or, at least, to feel sorry for us, they dismiss us with ridiculous excuses.

Flooding is no longer a Central problem. Floodwaters are beating us in the North, beating us in the South, beating us in the East and beating us in the West. On a rainy day, every creed and race may find an equally dirty place. Our Governments have as much legal and political control over the use of our land space as they do over their use of our money, but they have led the way in the indiscriminate use of it, failing at the same time to do any forward planning to meet the infrastructural needs of a growing population.

In a penetrating editorial in this newspaper a week ago, responding to the Minister of Works, the chief excuse maker, the failure was summarised this way: "We suggest that Mr Imbert should really look at the performance of government, all governments, with respect to the National Physical Development Plan approved by Parliament some 24 years ago.

All have systematically ignored the requirement of the Town and Country Planning Act to review that statutory plan every five years and to return to Parliament where appropriate for its approval of any changes proposed. The continuing ad hoc development planning and control, as well as the gross imbalance in attending to national infrastructural needs, is largely responsible for the inadequacy of the national drainage system."

In the midst of abundant rainfall, should we see on Christmas Eve (or at all) a picture of a very elderly woman bucket in hand making a futile search for water, reportedly living in Success Village, Laventille, where there has been no regular supply of pipe borne water for months? Why do we need desalination plants when there is rain water for all?

We do not have the slightest possibility of threatening the Manning Government with removal, bearing always in mind that the mere threat of removal is an effective antidote to the arrogance of political comfort. Opposition politicians are obsessed with who should lead, not how they will lead us on the basis of plans and policies designed to reverse the terminal decline of our country. In any event, may I repeat again the need for new blood and not the same old distrusted faces.

One could make a good series of cartoons out of the advertisement of the dengue squad outfitted with masks and spray cans four months after the outbreak of the killer fever. At least the Minister of Health, mosquito Narace behaves consistently with his leader, in that the death of citizens from dengue fever is damage collateral to the Minister's grammatical skills in expounding on the meaning of the word "outbreak". I wonder whether he knows that there was an outbreak of a shortage of platelets, blood clotting agents separated from blood collected at blood banks. The Minister's self-centred and confrontational press conferences would serve a better purpose if he urged everyone to become regular blood donors.

Despite the probabilities of dengue, dirt and death for all, we need hardly be troubled by these prospects because, as one newspaper proudly announced, the wining season has begun. This is the beginning of the flow of fete after fete, the Trini equivalent of "the opium of the people". Ironically, the pan movement will be begging for funding again, while the Government squanders $60M on motor vehicles to transport dignitaries for a few days in March.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 06:03:01 PM »
So Narace have 2 tell yuh cut d grass in yuh hard. Until we decide 2 b responsible 4 our actions we eh goin noway farse.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 08:46:53 PM »
So Narace have 2 tell yuh cut d grass in yuh hard. Until we decide 2 b responsible 4 our actions we eh goin noway farse.

Talk done... :beermug: 'yard'
And this goes all around too eh.

You pointing figures at the govenment, saying ya chile sick, but when you watch YOUR surroundings, you have ole tire, or pot and pan filled with water outside. Your potted plant saucer filled with ole water that turning green. Your place like ah damn forest and you sid down there pointing fingers. Narace backyard and front lawn cut and well manicured. He handling he business, wha bout you ???

What would it take you to get up ah Sunday morning, get ya cutlass and leggo blade on dey grass at dey back of ya house ?? How much it go take you and get 3 ah ya friends wid blade, ya wife hole down ah pot ah pelau and 2 bottle ah rum and you wuk on ah Sunday ?

No instead you and dem same 3 hard back men, drawing plaitcard and fine allyuh way to protest at the side of dey road in the same hot sun.

What does get me stink is when dey use the children to protest boy.... >:(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:53:32 PM by TriniCana »

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »
Is like no one wants to talk about the sad times plaguing TNT:

Dengue, dirt and death for all
Martin Daly

Sunday, January 4th 2009

This year, 2009, opens on an unstable international scene. Here at home, Trinidad and Tobago enters the New Year in a deplorable state. For the ordinary citizen, there is very little that is progressive to which to look forward. The probabilities are that violent death by gun or blade or motor vehicle will wipe out our citizens in continuing large numbers throughout the year.

With the onset of another rainy season in the second half of the year, equally large numbers will again become seriously ill with dengue fever. In some cases, the carrier mosquitoes literally bite hapless citizens to death. Few are satisfied that the creaking public health system can meet the challenge. In addition, during those rainy months many citizens will be flooded out of house and home.

Hardly anyone, regardless of their individual voting habit, will doubt the accuracy of these predictions. The historical trends are clear and unequivocal. What is different, even as we begin 2009, is that the stench of the drying mud and the marks of the receding flood two feet up living room and bedroom walls have spread their vicious tentacles, like their colleagues-murder, motor manslaughter and dengue fever-to a wider and wider public, now no longer able passively to see and hear but not feel. What is not different is the recalcitrant "not our fault"-"do not blame us" attitude of our politicians. When we look to our elected officials to help us or, at least, to feel sorry for us, they dismiss us with ridiculous excuses.

Flooding is no longer a Central problem. Floodwaters are beating us in the North, beating us in the South, beating us in the East and beating us in the West. On a rainy day, every creed and race may find an equally dirty place. Our Governments have as much legal and political control over the use of our land space as they do over their use of our money, but they have led the way in the indiscriminate use of it, failing at the same time to do any forward planning to meet the infrastructural needs of a growing population.

In a penetrating editorial in this newspaper a week ago, responding to the Minister of Works, the chief excuse maker, the failure was summarised this way: "We suggest that Mr Imbert should really look at the performance of government, all governments, with respect to the National Physical Development Plan approved by Parliament some 24 years ago.

All have systematically ignored the requirement of the Town and Country Planning Act to review that statutory plan every five years and to return to Parliament where appropriate for its approval of any changes proposed. The continuing ad hoc development planning and control, as well as the gross imbalance in attending to national infrastructural needs, is largely responsible for the inadequacy of the national drainage system."

In the midst of abundant rainfall, should we see on Christmas Eve (or at all) a picture of a very elderly woman bucket in hand making a futile search for water, reportedly living in Success Village, Laventille, where there has been no regular supply of pipe borne water for months? Why do we need desalination plants when there is rain water for all?

We do not have the slightest possibility of threatening the Manning Government with removal, bearing always in mind that the mere threat of removal is an effective antidote to the arrogance of political comfort. Opposition politicians are obsessed with who should lead, not how they will lead us on the basis of plans and policies designed to reverse the terminal decline of our country. In any event, may I repeat again the need for new blood and not the same old distrusted faces.

One could make a good series of cartoons out of the advertisement of the dengue squad outfitted with masks and spray cans four months after the outbreak of the killer fever. At least the Minister of Health, mosquito Narace behaves consistently with his leader, in that the death of citizens from dengue fever is damage collateral to the Minister's grammatical skills in expounding on the meaning of the word "outbreak". I wonder whether he knows that there was an outbreak of a shortage of platelets, blood clotting agents separated from blood collected at blood banks. The Minister's self-centred and confrontational press conferences would serve a better purpose if he urged everyone to become regular blood donors.

Despite the probabilities of dengue, dirt and death for all, we need hardly be troubled by these prospects because, as one newspaper proudly announced, the wining season has begun. This is the beginning of the flow of fete after fete, the Trini equivalent of "the opium of the people". Ironically, the pan movement will be begging for funding again, while the Government squanders $60M on motor vehicles to transport dignitaries for a few days in March.

Wonder if his house will get raid next?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 09:17:00 PM »

Talk done... :beermug: 'yard'
And this goes all around too eh.

You pointing figures at the govenment, saying ya chile sick, but when you watch YOUR surroundings, you have ole tire, or pot and pan filled with water outside. Your potted plant saucer filled with ole water that turning green. Your place like ah damn forest and you sid down there pointing fingers. Narace backyard and front lawn cut and well manicured. He handling he business, wha bout you ???

What would it take you to get up ah Sunday morning, get ya cutlass and leggo blade on dey grass at dey back of ya house ?? How much it go take you and get 3 ah ya friends wid blade, ya wife hole down ah pot ah pelau and 2 bottle ah rum and you wuk on ah Sunday ?

No instead you and dem same 3 hard back men, drawing plaitcard and fine allyuh way to protest at the side of dey road in the same hot sun.

What does get me stink is when dey use the children to protest boy.... >:(

I know a guy who is a Public Health Officer he say if yuh does c dem peeps place. D UWI student who dead d other day d place stink stink and when dey gone 2 spray peeps want 2 kill dem.

1]; } ?>