April 27, 2024, 04:57:02 PM

Author Topic: Ultimate XI  (Read 652 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ultimate XI
« on: December 28, 2008, 04:38:15 AM »
Jay DeMerit’s Ultimate XI

December 25, 2008, 1:14 pm

By Jay DeMerit

In the second installment of what will be a weekly feature on The New York Times Goal blog, we asked Watford’s American defender Jay DeMerit to pick a team of ultimate opponents he has faced during his four seasons in England. DeMerit, a native of Green Bay, Wis., has played nearly 150 matches with Watford since signing a contract in 2004. Check back every Thursday for the dream roster from a prominent player, coach or keen observer of the game in this feature based on a format made popular by FourFourTwo magazine in Britain.

Goalkeeper — Petr Cech

Chelsea’s keeper is so big, the goal seems like it’s the size of the ones I played on when I was 10. Can get down to stop-close range shots but can clear his box like a giant. Even his helmet is intimidating. He is the best keeper in the world.

Defender — Nemanja Vidic

My kind of central defender. Good on the ball when he needs to be, but is mainly there to be the beast of a defender that he is for Manchester United. Will battle and most likely win it with any forward in the league both in the air and on the ground. Would run through brick walls to get to the ball and is always consistent, which is probably the best quality you can have as a defender.

Defender — John Terry

Another one of those names that just stick out when it comes to defenders. Always in the right place at the right time and is a fearless leader. He is a great organizer and makes sure that the defense is always in the right shape and position. No wonder Chelsea has so many shutouts. Tough as nails, he got great respect from me when he got knocked out in the Carling Cup final by putting his face in front of a flying boot to save a goal against Arsenal. He still got out of the hospital in time to make it to the after-party. Thumbs up from me.

Defender — Ashley Cole

The best left back in the world, in my opinion. Works tirelessly down the whole left side for Chelsea, whether it’s helping in the attack with overlapping runs or getting back to make crucial blocks. If he can keep Christiano Ronaldo quiet, there is nothing left to say.

Defender — Gael Clichy

Quietly goes about his business of shutting down the world’s best. Never flashy or big headed, he always does his job. Along the lines of Ashley Cole, he is a bundle of energy who does not stop running for the whole 90 minutes. He is a quiet character, but a big piece of the puzzle if Arsenal is to get back to the top.

Midfielder — Ryan Giggs

The name speaks for itself. An absolute legend and still putting in world-class performances for Manchester United. Over the years he has dominated the Premiership with his crafty technique, pace and sweet left foot. Has won everything there is to win as a player and, most importantly, has the shown the commitment to stay at the top for so long.

Midfielder — Steven Gerrard

Probably in most people’s World XI, let alone England’s. Can pick a pass with pure precision from 45 yards away, can score goals from anywhere and when it comes to leadership, I don’t think the Liverpool veteran can be topped. He always comes up with a goal or an assist when it is needed most and always comes to play during the big games. He is a warrior who is never afraid of a tackle, but has the calmness to put away crucial goals.

Midfielder — Ashley Young

I may be a bit biased because I played with Ashley at Watford for three years, but the potential he showed with us is now there for all to see. He has really helped Aston Villa in becoming one of the Premiership’s new top teams. He whips in a great cross and has the pace to trouble any defender. He has one of the best free kicks in the Premiership and proves that by scoring every few games. Still getting better and hopefully a future star for England’s national team.

Midfielder — Cristiano Ronaldo

The Manchester United star was voted the World Player of the Year and for good reason. He has everything you’d ever need to be the best and more. He is physical, can score with his head or feet, from free kicks or free play. He can beat you with a trick inside or down outside with his pace. A defender’s nightmare and a woman’s dream. I am jealous.

Forward — Craig Bellamy

Quick off the turn and always on your shoulder ready to get in behind you, Bellamy is as fast on the ground as he is with his mouth. Always up for a moan, whether it’s to his West Ham United teammates, opposing defenders or, of course, the referee. He has a lethal finish and is one of those forwards who is always putting you under pressure and trying to cause you problems. You are physically and mentally tired after a game against him!

Forward — Didier Drogba

Probably my least favorite type of forward to mark, because players like him are as quick on the ground as the little forwards, but are physically dominant as well. Drogba is definitely both. He scored a hat trick for Chelsea the first time we played against him. With his aerial ability, along with a blistering shot and great movement in the box, he is as close to Lebron in cleats as it comes.

Substitutes

Wayne Rooney

Always a threat and always a character. Great to have in the team because of his passion for the game and his hunger to win. He can score goals from anywhere and has a fantastic work ethic. To come into the Premiership at such a young age with Everton and reach his full potential with Manchester United shows a lot about the type of person he is. Most of the time when United loses is when he isn’t playing. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Thierry Henry

Not in the starting 11 because he is no longer playing in England, but still deserves a mention from a distance — in Spain where he plays for Barcelona now. His pace, power and, dare I say, grace make him one the best players ever to walk the pitches of England. He has scored so many great goals that they can run TV programs just on him. He scored a few on me as well, but let’s not talk about that. The Premiership misses him.

Jamie Carragher

Another whole-hearted player you always need on your team. A great leader for Liverpool, he is willing to do everything to help his team win. A selfless player who will throw himself into the post to block a shot. You can’t understand a word he says, but either way you listen.

Manager — Alex Ferguson

Everyone who has worked under him says the same thing: Once you work with Sir Alex, you don’t want to work under anyone else. No wonder he gets the best players in the world to come to Manchester United and never leave. He is a good manager and demands the ultimate respect from his players without letting his ego get in the way. He’s been at the top for so many years for a reason.

Source

Previous blog... Claudio Suarez's Ultimate Mexican XI

1]; } ?>