April 18, 2024, 11:37:42 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 462959 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #1530 on: September 27, 2011, 06:45:48 AM »
I've said it long before since Steve Bruce started playing him in front Carlos at Sunderland... I dunno what people does see in Henderson.

Henderson is a very average player. Very basic and very rigid in style, i struggle to point to one quality that puts him out above then next player. I consider him a poor man's James Milner who i consider to be very average himself.

If he wasn't young and English he was not ever seeing an EPL team.

I could understand him playing in front of Carlos. At the time he look a better player and when any young player break through there is a kinda freshness that limits criticism.

However it is two years on now and it is a big step up from starting in front of Carlos to starting in front of Kuyt and Meireles. If the argument was that Meireles wasn’t a wide player (neither is Henderson), what is the excuse for him playing in front of Kuyt? I not the biggest Kuyt fan but even as a striker playing in midfield he giving yuh more than Henderson.

Imagine if Hodgson was starting Henderson in front of them men. Not to mention the 35M for Carroll.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:36 AM »
I've said it long before since Steve Bruce started playing him in front Carlos at Sunderland... I dunno what people does see in Henderson.

Henderson is a very average player. Very basic and very rigid in style, i struggle to point to one quality that puts him out above then next player. I consider him a poor man's James Milner who i consider to be very average himself.

If he wasn't young and English he was not ever seeing an EPL team.

Henderson is an EPL player and would be in the league, as befits a regular national U-21 and sometimes Senior player.  Even Ferguson was in the hunt for him in the off-season so who am I to gainsay his talent?  That said, I don't disagree that his youth and nationality plays a significant factor in him being overrated.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: September 28, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »
I was under the impression that Henderson was bought as one for the future. I'm also surprised that Kenny is playing him so much, and to be honest, I don't see it continuing. I don't see him playing against Everton, especially since Kuyt always performs well in derby matches. The player looking most at risk for his place to me is Charlie Adam. With the exception of the pounding of Bolton at home, he really hasn't convinced me yet.

I think Carroll had a really good match against B&HA (did everything but score), and I can see him scoring a hattrick out of nowhere soon.

Very interested to see what team Kenny puts out v Everton. Gerrard and Kuyt have to start as far as I'm concerned, and Glen Johnson might/should be fit...  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: September 28, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
I was under the impression that Henderson was bought as one for the future. I'm also surprised that Kenny is playing him so much, and to be honest, I don't see it continuing. I don't see him playing against Everton, especially since Kuyt always performs well in derby matches. The player looking most at risk for his place to me is Charlie Adam. With the exception of the pounding of Bolton at home, he really hasn't convinced me yet.

I think Carroll had a really good match against B&HA (did everything but score), and I can see him scoring a hattrick out of nowhere soon.

Very interested to see what team Kenny puts out v Everton. Gerrard and Kuyt have to start as far as I'm concerned, and Glen Johnson might/should be fit...  :beermug:

As unconvincing as Adam has been, Henderson has been worse.  His best moment also came against Bolton... he's been invisible otherwise.  I think Kelly still gets the start over Johnson if he's ready, only b/c they will try and ease Johnson back into the thick of things rather than throw him in there.  Agree that Gerrard and Kuyt should start, but don't see him benching Adam (unfortunately).  Therefore if both start it will be Kuyt starting at the expense of Carroll... who I think had his best game of the season against Wolves... even more so than Brighton... don't forget his header off the upright.  He really linked up well with Suarez, but you can tell that they still don't have that natural  understanding.  They need more time on the pitch together and for that one reason I think you can expect for Carroll to continue to keep his place over the next several matches... IF he continues to improve on last weekend's performance.  Likely then, if Hendo is dropped it might be in favor of Kuyt.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: September 28, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »

As unconvincing as Adam has been, Henderson has been worse.  His best moment also came against Bolton... he's been invisible otherwise.  I think Kelly still gets the start over Johnson if he's ready, only b/c they will try and ease Johnson back into the thick of things rather than throw him in there.  Agree that Gerrard and Kuyt should start, but don't see him benching Adam (unfortunately).  Therefore if both start it will be Kuyt starting at the expense of Carroll... who I think had his best game of the season against Wolves... even more so than Brighton... don't forget his header off the upright.  He really linked up well with Suarez, but you can tell that they still don't have that natural  understanding.  They need more time on the pitch together and for that one reason I think you can expect for Carroll to continue to keep his place over the next several matches... IF he continues to improve on last weekend's performance.  Likely then, if Hendo is dropped it might be in favor of Kuyt.

Henderson will come off the bench, onceGerrard is fully fit.  He had a good 1st half of the season last year, but fell off a bit.  He will be develop into a very good player eventually, but I think he is feeling the pressure of playing for a bigger club.  He just needs to relax and play his natural game.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
Henderson will come off the bench, onceGerrard is fully fit.  He had a good 1st half of the season last year, but fell off a bit.  He will be develop into a very good player eventually, but I think he is feeling the pressure of playing for a bigger club.  He just needs to relax and play his natural game.

Gerrard is not a wing player... so assuming he replaces Henderson in the lineup, who playing right wing?  Gerrard needs to play more centrally... on top of playing forward.  The obvious candidate is for him to replace Adam.  I suppose he could shift Downing to the right, but play Gerrard on the left with Adam and Lucas central?  I still don't think that's a perfect solution.  Adam is a squad player, Henderson at this point too.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: September 28, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »

Gerrard is not a wing player... so assuming he replaces Henderson in the lineup, who playing right wing?  Gerrard needs to play more centrally... on top of playing forward.  The obvious candidate is for him to replace Adam.  I suppose he could shift Downing to the right, but play Gerrard on the left with Adam and Lucas central?  I still don't think that's a perfect solution.  Adam is a squad player, Henderson at this point too.

Kuyt or Bellamy.  Although it look like Kuyt battling for a forward spot now.  Bellamy's speed would be an asset on the wing, but he is more of a wide forward, as against a winger.

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: September 28, 2011, 06:05:27 PM »
Remember Gerrard tear up playing RM a couple yrs ago. Plays LM for England very solid. The thing is that he stated that he doh like to play there. Plus I feel a Stevie, Lucas combo in d middle go be very solid and composed, once Stevie get back fit.

Henderson frustrating to me. I cah state how much he puzzling me as a buy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: September 28, 2011, 08:23:52 PM »
Kuyt or Bellamy.  Although it look like Kuyt battling for a forward spot now.  Bellamy's speed would be an asset on the wing, but he is more of a wide forward, as against a winger.

Kenny would have a hard time playing Kuyt/Bellamy, Gerrard, Lucas (cuz yuh know he not sitting) Adam and Downing... not unless he go with three at the back or only one up top.  A five man mid requires a sacrifice of either one of the back four or a single striker formation.  Three at the back is possible, but dangerous, especially given the issues we've had so far on the right side of the defense.  I also see him as preferring to play with both Suarez and Carroll in the lineup.

-----------------------------------------

Fish... I doh mind de Hendo buy, but I see him in the same light as I see Shelvey (who the readying for loan)... promising, but not quite there yet.  Gerrard and Lucas will be a nice defensive combo, but is that Gerrard's best position?  Is it even his preferred position?  Particularly in light of the fact that Aquilani was loaned out because he wanted to play in the hole, and Kenny saying the position was Stevie G's... I doubt Gerrard playing any defensive position anytime soon.  Only thing that mitigates in favor of that is the fact that he's 31.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:26:49 PM by Bakes »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: September 29, 2011, 07:00:29 AM »

Kenny would have a hard time playing Kuyt/Bellamy, Gerrard, Lucas (cuz yuh know he not sitting) Adam and Downing... not unless he go with three at the back or only one up top.  A five man mid requires a sacrifice of either one of the back four or a single striker formation.  Three at the back is possible, but dangerous, especially given the issues we've had so far on the right side of the defense.  I also see him as preferring to play with both Suarez and Carroll in the lineup.

-----------------------------------------

Fish... I doh mind de Hendo buy, but I see him in the same light as I see Shelvey (who the readying for loan)... promising, but not quite there yet.  Gerrard and Lucas will be a nice defensive combo, but is that Gerrard's best position?  Is it even his preferred position?  Particularly in light of the fact that Aquilani was loaned out because he wanted to play in the hole, and Kenny saying the position was Stevie G's... I doubt Gerrard playing any defensive position anytime soon.  Only thing that mitigates in favor of that is the fact that he's 31.

Looks like they have the intention of playing Stevi G in the hole this season.  That is why Aqua was sent out on loan again. Notice the substitution on Saturday too.  That is where Gerrard has had his most successful season, although Rafa always seemed reluctant to play him there. 

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #1540 on: September 29, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »
I prefer Shelvey over Henderson any day
ah tell allyuh Henderson was a waste of money lol..speaking in terms of what we see Man U pay for Jones,Young etc that is.
i could let it slide if he get an extended run cause of Gerrard injury, but if he start this weekend and Kuyt ride bench again I would have to say Kenny just being stubborn.

on another note we have the type of players to be using a 3-5-2, especially at home
3 CB with Agger being the best passer out of defence
2 fast attack minded wing backs in Enrigue and Johnson
3 Midfielders in Gerrard, Downing roaming and Lucas sitting back
2 up top in Suarez and Kuyt and Carroll and Bellars according to the game situation

what allyuh think bout that?
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: September 29, 2011, 11:13:37 AM »
Particularly in light of the fact that Aquilani was loaned out because he wanted to play in the hole, and Kenny saying the position was Stevie G's... I doubt Gerrard playing any defensive position anytime soon.  Only thing that mitigates in favor of that is the fact that he's 31.

Looks like they have the intention of playing Stevi G in the hole this season.  That is why Aqua was sent out on loan again. Notice the substitution on Saturday too.  That is where Gerrard has had his most successful season, although Rafa always seemed reluctant to play him there. 

We saying de same thing breds  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: September 29, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
ah tell allyuh Henderson was a waste of money lol..speaking in terms of what we see Man U pay for Jones,Young etc that is.
i could let it slide if he get an extended run cause of Gerrard injury, but if he start this weekend and Kuyt ride bench again I would have to say Kenny just being stubborn.

on another note we have the type of players to be using a 3-5-2, especially at home
2 up top in Suarez and Kuyt and Carroll and Bellars according to the game situation

Could definitely work, but three at the back is always risky, yuh asking a a lot of Lucas and whoever the next DM is to fall back and support the defense when the two wingbacks go forward.  We saw a bit of that against Stoke in February, which is part of why Stoke adjusted the configuration of the field in attempt to stifle our midfield play two weeks ago... forcing us into the long ball game.... their strength.  It's a formation that can work but it's not ideal because against the right team it will leave you very vulnerable.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: September 29, 2011, 12:55:51 PM »

Could definitely work, but three at the back is always risky, yuh asking a a lot of Lucas and whoever the next DM is to fall back and support the defense when the two wingbacks go forward.  We saw a bit of that against Stoke in February, which is part of why Stoke adjusted the configuration of the field in attempt to stifle our midfield play two weeks ago... forcing us into the long ball game.... their strength.  It's a formation that can work but it's not ideal because against the right team it will leave you very vulnerable.

No three at the back.  Too much strain on Lucas, especially with poor-tackling Adams in the 11.  You really need two good holding midfielders to play three at the back, and right now, we only have one.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: September 29, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »
Interesting post re. Jordan Henderson including stats and heatmaps. It doesn't really conclude anything or add much, but interesting nonetheless  :beermug:
http://www.anfieldindex.com/3459/jordan-henderson-central-point.html

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
30 Years Gone Today: Pies’ 30 Favourite Bill Shankly Quotes
« Reply #1545 on: September 29, 2011, 02:37:26 PM »
30 Years Gone Today: Pies’ 30 Favourite Bill Shankly Quotes

By Chris Wright
http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/liverpool/89698/30-years-gone-today-pies-30-favourite-bill-shankly-quotes.html

Today marks the 30th anniversary of Bill Shankly’s death (in 1981, maths fans!), so to pay a wee bit of homage, Pies have amassed our 30 very favourite Shankley-isms – in no particular order…

1. When asked by a Liverpudlian barber if he wanted ‘anything off the top?’, Shanks replied “Yeah, Everton.”

2. “Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

3. “If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I’d draw the curtains.”

4. “We (Scotland) absolutely annihilated England. It was a massacre. We beat them 5-4.”

5. “My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Had Napoleon had that idea he would have conquered the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in.”

6. Talking to new-signing Alec Lindsay before a game: “When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury,” Lindsay replied: “But, boss, that wasn’t me, it was Jimmy Kerr.”

Shankly then turned to his assistant Bob Paisley and said: “Christ, Bob, we’ve signed the wrong player.”

7. “A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”

8. “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.”

9. “If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.”

10. “At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques”

11. “Although I’m a Scot, I’d be proud to be called a Scouser.”

12. On Tommy Smith: “If he isn’t named Footballer of the Year this year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin.”

13. “We murdered them 0-0.”

14. “Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red strength.”

15. “If you can’t make decisions in life, you’re a bloody menace. You’d be better becoming an MP!”

16. After beating Everton in the 1971 FA Cup semi-final: “Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I’d been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid.”

17. After Shanks reneged on signing his client, a disgruntled scout complained: “He has football in his blood,” to which Shankly replied: “You may be right, but it hasn’t reached his legs yet!”

18. On resigning: “It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman. It was like walking to the electric chair. That’s the way it felt.”

19. After drawing 1-1 at Anfield: “The best side drew.”

20. “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”

21. “I’m just one of the people who stands on the Kop. They think the same as I do, and I think the same as they do. It’s a kind of marriage of people who like each other.”

22. “The trouble with referees is that they know the rules, but they do not know the game.”

23. “Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

24. To Tommy Smith: “You son, could start a riot in a graveyard.”

25. “This city has two great teams – Liverpool and Liverpool reserves.”

26. “Of course I didn’t take my wife to see Rochdale as an anniversary present. It was her birthday. Would I have got married in the football season? Anyway, it was Rochdale reserves.”

27. After being caught out putting ‘Anfield’ as his place of residence on a Brussels Hotel’s register: “But that’s where I live!”

28. “The problem with you, son, is that all your brains are in your head.”

29.  “The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.”

30. “I’ve been a slave to football. It follows you home, it follows you everywhere, and eats into your family life. But every working man misses out on some things because of his job.”

Suggested further viewing…

The Black-And-White Years: 18 Glorious Photos Of Bill Shankly
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 29, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
Well yes... this one really take it...  :rotfl:

26. “Of course I didn’t take my wife to see Rochdale as an anniversary present. It was her birthday. Would I have got married in the football season? Anyway, it was Rochdale reserves.”
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 29, 2011, 03:20:12 PM »
Long live Shankly the Great!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 29, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »
Interesting post re. Jordan Henderson including stats and heatmaps. It doesn't really conclude anything or add much, but interesting nonetheless  :beermug:
http://www.anfieldindex.com/3459/jordan-henderson-central-point.html

Good article... stats only confirms what everybody else has sensed.  Quote of the day, "To nobody, save perhaps the Liverpool coaching staff, he is a right winger who should be keeping Dirk Kuyt out of the side."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 01, 2011, 06:16:18 AM »
Atkinson just spoil this game.
I feel he wearing red jocky shorts. Steups

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: October 01, 2011, 06:32:26 AM »
and now Jagielka shoots Everton in the foot.

Save by Howard!!!

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: October 01, 2011, 06:39:19 AM »

Rodwell should not have been sent off. I would say he should have gotten a yellow card if anything. A straight red is harsh.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 01, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »

Why would you suggest that he's biased in favor of Liverpool?  Atkinson is just a bad official.  Macca even called it early by saying "I hope he doesn't get card-happy".  Just two seasons ago he red-carded Kyriagkos on some bullshit... then evened it out late in the match by sending off Cahill.

Agree that he spoil de match though... not only the vibes, but strategically as well.  Now Everton park de buss in their half with only Saha up top.  Kuyt was poor on the penalty... real weak effort.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: October 01, 2011, 07:03:18 AM »

Why would you suggest that he's biased in favor of Liverpool?  Atkinson is just a bad official.  Macca even called it early by saying "I hope he doesn't get card-happy".  Just two seasons ago he red-carded Kyriagkos on some bullshit... then evened it out late in the match by sending off Cahill.

Agree that he spoil de match though... not only the vibes, but strategically as well.  Now Everton park de buss in their half with only Saha up top.  Kuyt was poor on the penalty... real weak effort.

That call was an order of magnitude worse than bad. My only logical explanation for the red is Bias, b/c he couldn't be that bad. But you right, Atkinson is a shit ref. I wonder if you could sub the ref @ the half. Tell everybody he had a hamstring pull...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: October 01, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
Liverpool did well to take the three points from this match... the Bellamy sub was a masterstroke, again.  Suarez continues to be a lightning rod for controversy... which is unfortunate because he doesn't deserve it.  He goes down a bit too easily for my taste and embellishes fouls... but as long as he not simulating I okay with that.

Carroll deserved his goal... finally!  and Suarez deserve his for all his hustle.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
Liverpool did well to take the three points from this match... the Bellamy sub was a masterstroke, again.  Suarez continues to be a lightning rod for controversy... which is unfortunate because he doesn't deserve it.  He goes down a bit too easily for my taste and embellishes fouls... but as long as he not simulating I okay with that.

Carroll deserved his goal... finally!  and Suarez deserve his for all his hustle.

Dat is the S. American way.  I always find it in poor taste.  We need to start a separate thread for poor refereeing: " The Ref Got It Wrong".  The ref spoiled the Wolves-Newcastle game too.  He called a free kick for Wolves outside the box, when replays show the fould was committed well inside the line.  This was just on the stroke of half time.  Would have definitely fired up Wolves for the second half.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 01, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »

Dat is the S. American way.  I always find it in poor taste.  We need to start a separate thread for poor refereeing: " The Ref Got It Wrong".  The ref spoiled the Wolves-Newcastle game too.  He called a free kick for Wolves outside the box, when replays show the fould was committed well inside the line.  This was just on the stroke of half time.  Would have definitely fired up Wolves for the second half.

I absolutely can't stand it... definitely a South American thing, but something you see a lot on the continent.  Atkinson definitely spoil what could have been a really good game.  Still a great result for 'Pool, but could have been a fabulous derby... minus the moaning (that's sure to come) from Everton.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 07, 2011, 06:22:27 AM »
10 Things that make Liverpool FC Great...

Number 4 have some real nice all-time goals from about halfway in the vid.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: October 07, 2011, 08:18:05 AM »

Thanks for remining me why I am a fan of this great club.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #1559 on: October 07, 2011, 12:35:12 PM »

Thanks for remining me why I am a fan of this great club.
Ditto
felt chills while reading the few points bout the Hillsborough disaster and the minute silence during the Milan v Madrid game.

Good article  :beermug:
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>