April 27, 2024, 02:28:14 PM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 465670 times)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #1710 on: January 05, 2012, 03:29:52 PM »
At first glance... I want to say you kinda sensitive dey... musbe cuz is a girl involved  ;D

but you right on all points! especially to put de girl in she place, because she should know even in a movie, a line like that implies racial inequalities. The implication is that she is in a superior position, being of one race to judge another.

oh ho and ah next ting ah does laugh at in new york on the other end of de scale... is when somebody in a group scenario might say something that might connotate race or be slightly offensive... and everybody does get quiet and watch me! Like they waiting for me to give the Caesar thumbs up, thumbs down!  :rotfl:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:35:09 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 05, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »
dinho like yuh away too long. I myself found your response over sensitive especially being a Trini  ;D

Maybe my skin thick like Rhino for a number of reasons

Maybe I just grow up in a different time.
The amount ah name we does get call back home, even on my most recent visit. Really I have to
admit I surprise that we as peoples of Trinbago eh steups at all this.
Seriously, over Christmas we (Trinbago peoples)
dancing and singing to flicking "Chinee Palag" & "Eating Chinee Cat" over the radio   ;D

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 05, 2012, 03:54:40 PM »
dinho like yuh away too long. I myself found your response over sensitive especially being a Trini  ;D

The amount ah name we does get call back home, even on my most recent visit. Really I have to
dancing and singing to flicking "Chinee Palag" & "Eating Chinee Cat" over the radio   ;D

Nah Observer... yuh cyah judge this thru Trini eyes.  We don't have the history of oppression as black people as others have.  This is why England have laws against this kinda thing.  Besides... what you find offensive doesn't drive the discussion, nor does what I find offensive.  Point of the matter Evra found it offensive.  It is his right at that point to raise an inquiry.  Panel agree with him.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 05, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »

Nah Observer... yuh cyah judge this thru Trini eyes.  We don't have the history of oppression as black people as others have.  This is why England have laws against this kinda thing.  Besides... what you find offensive doesn't drive the discussion, nor does what I find offensive.  Point of the matter Evra found it offensive.  It is his right at that point to raise an inquiry.  Panel agree with him.

I know, I know, but it is the only eyes I have  ;D! Its just tongue and cheek talk on my part with dinho. For me it is Evra, so i really can't take this man seriously. I have to agree with the Gleaner on Evra being creditable, because the Chelsea incident cross my mind as well.
Not that I am a fan of Suarez either, for that matter. I am eagerly awaiting the Terry verdict.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: January 05, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »

Nah observer daiz the whole thing, is just what u say dey...

A trini could hit me that talk normal and formal.. Just like another black man could call yuh "my nigga" and is no scene..

Not some obnoxious white woman who doh even know me like that, that could never sit nice. That real outta timing.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 05, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »
I know, I know, but it is the only eyes I have  ;D! Its just tongue and cheek talk on my part with dinho. For me it is Evra, so i really can't take this man seriously. I have to agree with the Gleaner on Evra being creditable, because the Chelsea incident cross my mind as well.
Not that I am a fan of Suarez either, for that matter. I am eagerly awaiting the Terry verdict.

Everybody want to question Evra's credibility and nobody know the facts (not saying you specifically).  First thing Dalglish bawl when they mention the racism in the locker room is "hasn't he done this before?"  Gleaner and half dem dotish Liverpool fans, and the club self saying he have no credibility because he cry wolf.  Evra never accuse anybody of racism before.  It was a member of the ManU training staff who accused the Chelsea groundskeeper of racism (technically xenophobia)... it wasn't Evra.  Evra get in trouble because he try to manners de man and get physical with him. Other than that, there was another incident involving a linesman, where a deaf ManU fan claims to have read the linesman lips and make out something racist.  It was never Evra.

Again, not saying this to you specifically, but for me the attempts to taint Evra is the most distasteful aspect of this all. Rather than investigate to get to the bottom of things, the first thing Liverpool do is to start questioning Evra's credibility.  Dai's like smearing a rape victim by saying how she like to sleep around.  Is it fair to do it?  Absolutely.  But not because yuh could do something does that make it the right thing to do.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 06, 2012, 12:34:51 PM »
Well said Bakes :salute:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: January 06, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »
Here's the rundown on Evra and racism charges, there were two prior incidents...

Steve Finnan/Liverpool:

"A police investigation has been launched after deaf football fans complained they had lip-read Liverpool's Steve Finnan making a racist remark towards Patrice Evra of Manchester United.

Evra, however, was unaware of any racist taunts. The Senegal-born Frenchman, a £5.5m signing from Monaco in January, has not raised any complaints although he is aware of the allegations"

Sam Bethell/Chelsea:

"It is thought United assistant manager Mike Phelan was the man who claimed Bethell used racist language towards Evra. The suggestion of a racist element to the incident had severely strained relations between the two clubs ahead of last season’s Champions League final."

Evra, prior to now had not himself, accused anyone of racism.
------------------------------

The latest chapter in the saga is that Liverpool looking to meet with Man U on a Board level to try and diffuse things... while Fergie saying he sees no need for it, especially since Liverpool choose to go thru the press rather than come to United directly with any talk of sitting down.

All that's missing now are the clowns and dancing bears...

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: January 06, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
Oldham was offensive toward the Liverpool goal...

Bellamy didn't like that atall though...
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: January 07, 2012, 01:00:40 AM »
Reds and police probe incident
Reds confirm club and police are looking into incident

Last Updated: January 6, 2012 11:33pm

Liverpool and the Merseyside police are investigating alleged racist abuse of Oldham's Tom Adeyemi at Anfield on Friday night.

Adeyemi appeared to take offence to something shouted from the Kop late in the second half of the Reds' 5-1 victory in the third round of the FA Cup.

The Latics midfielder, on loan from Norwich, was reduced to tears despite reassurances from his team-mates and Liverpool duo Dirk Kuyt and Steven Gerrard.

There then appeared to be discussion between the fourth official and a police officer down by the tunnel while the match was continuing.

Liverpool announced that no arrests had been made but confirmed in a statement they are investigating the incident with the Merseyside police.
Investigation

The statement read: "An incident occurred in the second half of the match which is now being investigated by both the club and the police.

"We will continue to work closely with the police and establish the details of what actually happened and will make a further statement in due course."

A senior Liverpool official also told The Guardian: "We will do everything in our power to investigate the matter and ensure the appropriate action is taken."

The incident comes at a sensitive time for Liverpool, who have recently seen striker Luis Suarez suspended for eight matches by the Football Association for racist abuse of Manchester United defender Patrice Evra.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7415743/Reds-and-police-probe-incident

Some of these Liverpool supporters making things worse for their club, if this is true. Giving the club a bad image.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 07, 2012, 03:14:40 AM »
He was in tears, must admit seems unusual because over time and being football, drink etc. I very much doubt he hasn't had comments thrown at him before, so I wonder what was said. 

I'm afraid all clubs have fans like this, but I suppose Liverpool's stance to the Evra thing and going on as the victim has stirred up some feelings and some fans will shout and take it out on the opposition.  This has really been a PR disaster for Liverpool, of their own making and it will continue to run for a while yet, because we have yet to have the comeback games for Suarez.

Bakes,

I think Liverpool really need to circle the wagons at the minute, Downing got arrested late last night in Yarm for allegedly punching an ex girlfriend, she was arrested aswell.  Just drawn Manu in the FA Cup which will just add more petrol onto the fire.  It the FA, Manu and Liverpool don't get a grip shortly can see it getting out of hand very quickly.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 12:59:00 PM by kev »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: January 08, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »
He was in tears, must admit seems unusual because over time and being football, drink etc. I very much doubt he hasn't had comments thrown at him before, so I wonder what was said. 

I'm afraid all clubs have fans like this, but I suppose Liverpool's stance to the Evra thing and going on as the victim has stirred up some feelings and some fans will shout and take it out on the opposition.  This has really been a PR disaster for Liverpool, of their own making and it will continue to run for a while yet, because we have yet to have the comeback games for Suarez.

Bakes,

I think Liverpool really need to circle the wagons at the minute, Downing got arrested late last night in Yarm for allegedly punching an ex girlfriend, she was arrested aswell.  Just drawn Manu in the FA Cup which will just add more petrol onto the fire.  It the FA, Manu and Liverpool don't get a grip shortly can see it getting out of hand very quickly.

Dalgish needs to haul in his squad for a team meeting and say that from here on, is zero tolerance for the rest of the season.  Cyar have this kinda thing compounding an already difficult period for the club.  They will need to sort out this racism thing.  They are showing great proactivity in dealing with the latest allegations, so that will help, but the Suarez stigma will remain for some time to come, especially because the club gambled and backed him, only for the verdict and ensuing release and evaluation of hearing evidence to present Suarez in even worse light.  Let the PR gurus go to work.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 09, 2012, 01:20:42 AM »

Bakes,

Dalgish needs to haul in his squad for a team meeting and say that from here on, is zero tolerance for the rest of the season.  Cyar have this kinda thing compounding an already difficult period for the club.  They will need to sort out this racism thing.  They are showing great proactivity in dealing with the latest allegations, so that will help, but the Suarez stigma will remain for some time to come, especially because the club gambled and backed him, only for the verdict and ensuing release and evaluation of hearing evidence to present Suarez in even worse light.  Let the PR gurus go to work.

Think they might want to sack the ones that have handled it so far. 
If QPR get through they have drawn Chelsea so thats the Terry and Ferninand thing back in the limelight aswell.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: January 09, 2012, 08:58:41 AM »
My disappointment with the club lingers, and though it's difficult to link this incident vs. Oldfield with the Suarez incident, as Paul Wilson points out in the Guardian today, it's difficult to imagine the situation happening had the Suarez affair not happened.  It baffles me how Liverpool can continue to insist that everyone else somehow has it wrong. 

Dalglish was a personal sporting  hero of mine but he has been incredibly diminished in my eyes by his immediate questioning of Evra's motives, and his continued defiance of the verdict.  He insists that the public doesn't know the full story.. well, does he?  Was he there? If he knows more why didn't he testify?  Of course they're going just on Suarez' word, but Suarez was wrong, clear as day... as anyone with a sense of objectivity could see.  There are fans still arguing that the experts were part of a fix, and that they didn't understand the nuances of Spanish, let alone "Uruguayan"... despite the clear evidence in the report explaining why these experts were qualified (their expertise in Rioplatense- Spanish spoken in the River Plate area- Suarez' dialect).  How can one argue with such pig-headed ignorance?  How can one ignore the obvious link between that and the club's own pig-headed obstinacy that they are right and evidence be damned, everyone else is wrong?

I still root, and will continue to root for the club... but I'd be lying if I said my support was still 100%.  What I'm struggling with right now is sorting out my feelings for the club, balanced against the sheer ignorance and ugliness I'm seeing from too many of the supporters.  There's a part of me that doesn't want to be associated with that, and if there are others who feel as I do, that Suarez and the club are wrong, I'm not hearing enough from them to make me feel good about calling myself a supporter.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 09, 2012, 12:14:42 PM »
Bakes,

I wouldn't let it worry you so much tbh.  I know its probably hard for some on here to appreciate what football clubs mean to some of their supporters in this country but its way up there on the list, particularly in the north.  Some fans would believe black was white if the club told them it was (no pun intended).  Daglish is certainly aware of this and without doubt he knows the depth of feeling between the clubs and the effect it would have on Liverpools supporters.  I don't think the owners would have the same understanding of how it would work and the ill feeling it would cause, if they did I would of doubt they would of went down that path.  I think Daglish has made the bed and Liverpool just have to lie in it now, can't really back track and say well we were wronged but just let it pass now lads, supporters don't work like that.  This is going to drag on a while yet and suspect you will see a few more things that you will not agree with, you just simply won't find many that will agree the club and Suarez are wrong, because the club have told them they are right and just implying a conspiracy and the wronged party.  For Liverpool fans its them aginst Manu, FA and everyone else and your either for the club or against it, not a lot of room in most fans eyes.  Sad but thats the way it is.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: January 09, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
My disappointment with the club lingers, and though it's difficult to link this incident vs. Oldfield with the Suarez incident, as Paul Wilson points out in the Guardian today, it's difficult to imagine the situation happening had the Suarez affair not happened.  It baffles me how Liverpool can continue to insist that everyone else somehow has it wrong. 

Dalglish was a personal sporting  hero of mine but he has been incredibly diminished in my eyes by his immediate questioning of Evra's motives, and his continued defiance of the verdict.  He insists that the public doesn't know the full story.. well, does he?  Was he there? If he knows more why didn't he testify?  Of course they're going just on Suarez' word, but Suarez was wrong, clear as day... as anyone with a sense of objectivity could see.  There are fans still arguing that the experts were part of a fix, and that they didn't understand the nuances of Spanish, let alone "Uruguayan"... despite the clear evidence in the report explaining why these experts were qualified (their expertise in Rioplatense- Spanish spoken in the River Plate area- Suarez' dialect).  How can one argue with such pig-headed ignorance?  How can one ignore the obvious link between that and the club's own pig-headed obstinacy that they are right and evidence be damned, everyone else is wrong?

I still root, and will continue to root for the club... but I'd be lying if I said my support was still 100%.  What I'm struggling with right now is sorting out my feelings for the club, balanced against the sheer ignorance and ugliness I'm seeing from too many of the supporters.  There's a part of me that doesn't want to be associated with that, and if there are others who feel as I do, that Suarez and the club are wrong, I'm not hearing enough from them to make me feel good about calling myself a supporter.

Good point, Bakes.  It's like the club has regressed to the days when signing a black John Barnes was a major issue.  I thought that was a closed chapter to an ugly story about LFC.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: January 10, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »
Good point, Bakes.  It's like the club has regressed to the days when signing a black John Barnes was a major issue.  I thought that was a closed chapter to an ugly story about LFC.

What's truly sad is that the club has a legitimate legacy for campaigning against racism and promoting equality on the field.  They've squandered that entire legacy in effort to throw their arms around a player with a very questionable track record.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: January 17, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
Liverpool’s Performance Didn’t Earn Apparel Deal Renewal, Adidas CEO Says
Q
By Tariq Panja - Jan 16, 2012 8:39 PM GMT-0400

inShare
More Print Email

Adidas AG (ADS) declined to renew its apparel deal with Liverpool because the price was too high given the 18-time English soccer champion’s poor performance, the chief executive officer of the world’s second-biggest sporting goods maker said.

Liverpool, which is also a five-time European champion, has replaced Adidas with a club record, 6-year, 25 million pound ($38.3 million) contract with Warrior Sports, a subsidiary of New Balance Athletic Shoe Inc. The accord, Warrior’s first major soccer contract, begins next season and is worth almost double the current agreement with Adidas.

Liverpool has struggled to recapture glories that made it England’s dominant team during the 1970s and 80s. It hasn’t won a league championship since 1990 and last season was overtaken by Manchester United as the holder of the most titles. Liverpool didn’t make the Champions League, Europe’s top club competition, this season and is seventh in the Premier League, 13 points behind leader Manchester City.

“The gap between their performance on the field and what the number should be is not in balance,” Adidas CEO Herbert Hainer said in an interview in Munich yesterday. “Then we said, ‘Okay we will not do it. That’s the end of the story.’” Liverpool didn’t respond.

The team’s lack of success hasn’t stopped it signing other commercial agreements. London-based bank Standard Chartered (STAN) is paying a record 81.5 million pounds to have its logo displayed on its jerseys for four years and the team’s sales department has also signed new sponsors like Turkish tourism.

Benefits?

The contract with Warrior may benefit the team further because it allows Liverpool to retain control over all merchandise not related to the clothing the team wears, something that it had ceded to Adidas. Still, it will no longer be able to rely on the company’s vast global supply chain.

“It all depends on the success and the effort and the popularity, the exposure on TV, revenue you can generate by merchandising,” Hainer said. “This all has to be brought in line between what you offer and what you get. We thought their asking and the delivering is not in the right balance.”

Adidas faces a big year ahead as the main partner to the two biggest sports events taking place: soccer’s European Championship and the London Olympic Games.

Hainer said from a commercial point of view the soccer event will be a bigger boost, while the Olympics is the biggest platform the company has to show its commitment to sports. The company enjoyed record 1.5 billion euro ($1.9 billion) in sales in 2010 because of the soccer World Cup in South Africa. The CEO said it will do even better this year.

“We will definitely beat the 1.5 billion euro revenue target in 2012: there’s no doubt for me,” said Hainer.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-16/liverpool-s-on-field-performance-didn-t-warrant-price-adidas-head-says.html

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: January 18, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
If you are based in the UK, can you please sign this petition giving Hillsborough victim, Kevin Williams, a proper inquest? There are details at the petition link:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/19149

and there needs to be 100k signatures by midnight tomorrow for the Attorney General to look at the case again. I think you'll agree that this has nothing to do with the team you support, and everything to do with a mother trying to find out the circumstances around the death of her 15yr old son.

You can also read more here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1073369/Hillsborough-victims-mother-Anne-Williams-Its-gone-long-I-want-Sorry.html

Thank you  :beermug:

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: January 18, 2012, 09:05:01 PM »

Completely agree with everything you have said in this post. The way that the club management has handled Evra's allegations against Suarez has been abysmal from start to finish. First off, Kenny Dalglish, along with the rest of the management, should have adopted a more temperate and measured response to the allegations. Since it essentially started off as a case of one player's word against another's, it was always going to be very risky for Dalglish and the Liverpool hierarchy to throw their entire support behind Suarez until all the facts of the case came out. What would have made more sense is for the club to issue a statement along the lines of "We at Liverpool FC have a zero tolerance for any racism from our players and fans and will await the outcome of the FA investigation." That should have been the official policy all along. I understand that Dalglish feels that he has to back his player, but he really should understand the broader implications of any rash public statements. As one who respects him highly, I am also very disappointed in Kenny Dalglish. But then again this proves that he is a flawed human being like everyone else.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:08:44 PM by kaliman2006 »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: January 21, 2012, 07:56:44 PM »
I find this thread suspiciously quiet. What happen? Carroll didn't excite you with his slick moves?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: January 21, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
I find this thread suspiciously quiet. What happen? Carroll didn't excite you with his slick moves?

Carroll created the only goal we scored today.  He also sent Bellamy thru on a 1-v-1 with the keeper (identical to the goal scored) only to have the assistant incorrectly whistle the play offside.  Liverpool had many issues on the day, Andy Carroll was not one of them.  How come yuh wasn't posting in the Chelsea thread earlier though?  Fernando Torres didn't excite with his clinical finishing ability?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: January 21, 2012, 09:20:40 PM »

Carroll created the only goal we scored today.  He also sent Bellamy thru on a 1-v-1 with the keeper (identical to the goal scored) only to have the assistant incorrectly whistle the play offside.  Liverpool had many issues on the day, Andy Carroll was not one of them.  How come yuh wasn't posting in the Chelsea thread earlier though?  Fernando Torres didn't excite with his clinical finishing ability?

We get a point. I thankful for small favours, plus, I ent see the game, I was beating the rush @ the barber shop. I cyah convince them fellas to tune to EPL for nothing.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: January 21, 2012, 09:44:01 PM »
We get a point. I thankful for small favours, plus, I ent see the game, I was beating the rush @ the barber shop. I cyah convince them fellas to tune to EPL for nothing.

Getting ah point doh make your glass house impervious to big stone  ;) 

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: January 21, 2012, 09:57:55 PM »

Getting ah point doh make your glass house impervious to big stone  ;) 

As a long-time T&T and Windies supporter, I know the time to pelt stones is now, b/c yuh never sure if you have anything to pelt at tomorrow.  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: January 22, 2012, 02:05:53 AM »
As a long-time T&T and Windies supporter, I know the time to pelt stones is now, b/c yuh never sure if you have anything to pelt at tomorrow.  ;D

LOL.... well all de glass in de Liverpool house almost done mash up, so pretty soon we could start pelting indiscriminately as well  :-[

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: January 25, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
Joe Hart is a straight beast... Liverpool moves on to the Carling Cup Final nonetheless  :beermug:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: January 25, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
Howard Webb see a side playing in red and figure it was Man U?
That was a real soft penalty.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »

Webb officiated the Cardiff v.Crystal Palace game... Phil Dowd did the Liverpool v. City game.  I highlighted that same handball call in my comments about inconsistent officiating.  Tell me which part ah dat was "intentional".

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: January 25, 2012, 09:32:01 PM »

Webb officiated the Cardiff v.Crystal Palace game... Phil Dowd did the Liverpool v. City game.  I highlighted that same handball call in my comments about inconsistent officiating.  Tell me which part ah dat was "intentional".

True was Dowd. I get bazodee when I see the call.
I presume you were talking to your partners in the bar when you were highlighting that same handball...  ::)

Dat eh nutten, game done, take win!

1]; } ?>