March 28, 2024, 01:46:14 PM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 460084 times)

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #2670 on: April 19, 2014, 05:20:04 AM »
I'm actually going to London next week for the first time, I'm going to visit Liverpool as well. I've been going all over the place trying to get a ticket to the Liverpool v Chelsea game but no luck at all. Even woke up 3am to go online for the general sale.  :bs: :banginghead: :frustrated: yet I'm still going to Liverpool and take in the game at a nearby pub. Anybody have a link up for the Liverpool v Chelsea match?  ;D

You could walk around the perimeter of Anfield and you might get lucky and be able to buy one from a tout or a supporter with an extra, but (a) counterfeit tickets float around for massive matches like these, so you could spend a lot and get turned away at the turnstile, (b) the price of a ticket will be ridiculous. The going resale rate for the 2005 champions league semi was around £3,500 per ticket (I considered selling mine....for about a second then good sense prevailed!) so it's not unreasonable to think a ticket would go for £5000 or so. Watching in a nearby pub is a good option. I recommend The Arkles on Anfield Road. Just be careful though. Anfield (the area as a opposed to the stadium) isn't the safest. There are also good pubs in the city centre of Liverpool. It's far from Anfield but it's something to consider. Enjoy the trip!  :beermug:

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 19, 2014, 03:22:54 PM »
I'm actually going to London next week for the first time, I'm going to visit Liverpool as well. I've been going all over the place trying to get a ticket to the Liverpool v Chelsea game but no luck at all. Even woke up 3am to go online for the general sale.  :bs: :banginghead: :frustrated: yet I'm still going to Liverpool and take in the game at a nearby pub. Anybody have a link up for the Liverpool v Chelsea match?  ;D

You could walk around the perimeter of Anfield and you might get lucky and be able to buy one from a tout or a supporter with an extra, but (a) counterfeit tickets float around for massive matches like these, so you could spend a lot and get turned away at the turnstile, (b) the price of a ticket will be ridiculous. The going resale rate for the 2005 champions league semi was around £3,500 per ticket (I considered selling mine....for about a second then good sense prevailed!) so it's not unreasonable to think a ticket would go for £5000 or so. Watching in a nearby pub is a good option. I recommend The Arkles on Anfield Road. Just be careful though. Anfield (the area as a opposed to the stadium) isn't the safest. There are also good pubs in the city centre of Liverpool. It's far from Anfield but it's something to consider. Enjoy the trip!  :beermug:

Thanks for the tips. I most likely will end up in a pub somewhere but I'm not giving up hope just yet with the possibility of late availability tickets. Isn't the Arkles an "away" pub? For away fans? How is The Albert or The Sandon? I just want to experience the atmosphere, which I'm sure is on a whole different level than Nevada Smith's in Union Square.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: April 19, 2014, 03:43:00 PM »
Isn't the Arkles an "away" pub? For away fans?

Whoops, you're right. It wasn't when I used to go, but I guess it is now. There's a thread about pubs near Anfield on RAWK that should be helpful:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=17158.0#post_j  :beermug:

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 19, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
I want to say that I would be happy if Liverpool one the Premier League, but I don't want to 'jinx' them.  :-\
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 20, 2014, 05:07:21 AM »
Young Raheem is really developing starting to reach his full potential.

Nice finish.

1-0 Liverpool.

Very long way to go though...

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: April 20, 2014, 05:11:20 AM »
Norwich's nemesis, Suarez poisons the Canaries again....

2-0.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: April 20, 2014, 06:54:07 AM »
And breathe...

5 pts clear  :beermug:

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: April 20, 2014, 06:57:41 AM »
That Liverpool defence is causing me to have some serious ulcers!

:frustrated: :banginghead:

Yes, the reds won, but that match was too close for comfort, and Sakho is getting away with some horrendous challenges in and around the Liverpool area.

It goes without saying that the defence should be one of the positions that should be filled when Liverpool taps into the transfer market.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: April 20, 2014, 07:11:56 AM »
And we'll be playing Champions League football next season!  :beermug:

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: April 20, 2014, 07:32:30 AM »
we need tuh kill off team like manu...

cant be up 2-0 against city then against norwich and let both ah dem come back in d game..

we riding we luck too much....

like we does fall asleep until ah goal score....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: April 20, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »
Allyuh starting to get as obnoxious with this nitpicking...  Norwich lucky they didn't finish the game with 9 men.  Criticism of Sakho is harsh, as he slipped and collided with Snodgrass, who had no business complaining considering he very easily could have been sent off for his break leg tackle on Allen on the sideline in the first half.  Howson was also lucky not to be given a yellow card for dragging back Allen, then doing the same against Sterling later on.  The first foul was way more egregious than the second and was deserving of a yellow that was not shown.  The football gods were ruthless in the end, but fair... Bradley Johnson led with his leg on Mignolet contributing to the mis-punch and the Norwich goal.  Later he gave the ball away in midfield to Sterling, chased down the play and had Sterling's shot deflect off of him for the decisive goal.  Last year we were getting punished by the breaks not going our way... I'm not about to start complaining now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:24:57 PM by Bakes »

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: April 20, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Nah Bakes, Liverpool has exhibited a tendency to lose concentration for a twenty minute stretch during matches in the last few weeks. I think this is down to a mixture of nerves and the play of the other team.

I will have to watch the replay of the first Norwich goal again, you may have a point.

Doh get me wrong, any team winning ten matches in a row is quite an achievement, especially a team that does not have the depth of squad of a Chelsea or Man City.

Along with Atlético in Spain, this could very well be a season where David topples Goliath in terms and a squad with two star players and an aging veteran (Gerrard) pitted against the obscenely wealthy Chelsea and Man City.

In fact, based on what I have read on other boards, many fans of other clubs are rooting for Liverpool based on the fact that I just stated. One Arsenal fan, disgusted with likes of Chelsea and City, has started rooting for the Reds.

As you say, based on the breaks that have gone against Liverpool in the past (This match would  most likely have ended in a draw or a defeat in seasons gone by), I will gladly accept the breaks that are going their waynow.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: April 20, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »
I am not going to dispute that Liverpool has had problems defending, and in particular, defending the lead.  However, the griping has turned it into a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, everything (innocuous or not) is magnified as yet another failure of the defense.  I think Rodgers has to shoulder some of the fault for the strategy he employs... having his team take the air out of the ball at times, and the result is a palpable lack of confidence as they cede possession to the other team. 

On this level when you cede possession like that you invite pressure, and when there is relentless pressure there is usually some mistake or the other.  Teams like Norwich who play a more direct style and who are desperate will bombard the box with crosses, and not surprisingly that's how they got back into the game.  We have to let our offense contribute to our defense as well, by retaining possession, and POSITIVE possession, continuing to keep the opposing defense honest so that they can't just sell out in attack.

As for the first Norwich goal, Johnson led with his left leg and planted it (unwittingly, it seems) into Mignolet... this impeded Mignolet's jump and his subsequent ability to punch clear.  I'm not suggesting the ref should have ruled this a foul (he probably didn't see it), but these are the things that happen in the natural ebb and flow of a match... Sakho's inadvertent clattering of Snodgrass being another.  The best you can hope for is that the breaks go your way in the end... or at worst, that they even out in the end.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2683 on: April 20, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
The "foul" on Mignolet can briefly be seen at 2:35.  There was an even better shot shown during the broadcast that I can't find, but it was from the perspective of where the 5th official would be in CL play and shows it clearly.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Bo_hEDAndb8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Bo_hEDAndb8</a>

Other thoughts... Sterling easily could have had a hattrick, skying the pullback from Coutinho (I think it was) overbar.  Suarez too probably should have scored at least one other.  And good to see Flanagan's development continue... it was his pass that led to Sterling's assist to Suarez, after some composed sideline play.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2684 on: April 21, 2014, 05:46:21 AM »
‘Congrats to you and Liverpool’
By Fazeer Mohammed (Express)

Unlike my media colleague from Barbados, who texted that message right after yesterday’s early game in the English Premier League at Norwich City, that shaky 3-2 victory over a side in danger of relegation was no reason to celebrate as if a first football league title in 24 years was already in the bag, especially with three games still to play.
So the response was typically guarded: “Lucky...played poorly after bright start today. It’s a good thing Man City and Chelsea are faltering.” Not long after, a gentleman doing some plastering work at home on what—for me—was an unusually busy Sunday morning, paused from mixing cement to ask: “Ent it have a IPL match today?”
Indeed there was, with the King’s XI Punjab taking on the Rajasthan Royals, the franchise that prevailed over the Chennai Super Kings in the final of the inaugural season of the Indian Premier League T20 cricket tournament in 2008.
Nobody seemed the least bit interested in the semi-finals of the regional first-class cricket competition. Not the Bajan texter, not the mason, not even the neighbour up the road who sells newspapers at the front of his parlour and who, right up to the final rain-ruined day of the league campaign in Guyana a week ago, was always keen to know the score, especially as there has been no radio commentary throughout a season that started for Trinidad and Tobago right after Carnival.
It’s a reasonable question: If Barbados have been crowned champions after the league format, what are the top four regional sides now engaged in the semi-finals really playing for? Okay, so the simple, straightforward answer is the Headley/Weekes Trophy. But if that piece of silverware, named after the late George Headley and Sir Everton Weekes—two of the region’s greatest batsmen ever—is supposed to be the symbol of supremacy in Caribbean first-class cricket, why wasn’t it presented to Barbadian captain Kraigg Brathwaite after the conclusion of the league?
This is not intended to be any slight towards the West Indies Cricket Board president Dave Cameron or any of the previous or future holders of the office, but I would think a trophy bearing the name of two West Indian batting legends carries far more status and prestige than the WICB President’s Trophy, which is what Braithwaite received on behalf of the champion team.
Confusing matters even further and giving already disinterested fans more reason to ignore the competition almost totally is the inconsistency of its format and structure. Last year, Jamaica, champions for the previous five seasons, topped the league table but were not awarded the prize for a sixth successive year.
In 2013, the competition structure deemed that the first-class champions would have been decided by the result of the final, in which Barbados thrashed T&T by an innings in two-and-a-half days at Kensington Oval. That’s after the national side pulled off an upset victory over Jamaica in Kingston at the semi-final stage.
A year later and the rules are different, so even if Barbados are mauled by Jamaica in one of the semi-finals in Bridgetown or get to the final next weekend and are beaten by either Trinidad and Tobago or the Windward Islands—the other two semi-finalists—their official status as 2014 regional first-class champions is unaffected, although it will obviously be tarnished in the eyes of the few who still see value in the title.
These inconsistencies are nothing new in the regional game. Way back in 1996, Trinidad and Tobago, like Jamaica last year, defeated everyone in the league format yet lost the final to the Leeward Islands at Guaracara Park, with the visitors being crowned regional champions.
Ten years later, T&T finally ended the drought going back to 1985 when a 264-run hammering of Barbados in Black Rock saw the visitors confirmed as champions after the league format, even with the semi-finals and final of what was known as the “Challenge” trophy segment of the season still to come.
There are more than enough high-quality, well-packaged, well-presented “live” sporting events on television competing for fans’ attention even before considerations of the poor quality of Caribbean first-class cricket being a disincentive are taken into account. Is it too much though, to expect consistency in the format and structure of the competition?
By the way, on the topic of competition from sports on TV, how many of you realise the dilemma facing Test cricket fanatics who also happen to be eagerly anticipating the 2014 World Cup football finals in Brazil? It’s bad enough that the second Test against New Zealand at the Queen’s Park Oval is scheduled to start on a Monday (June 16).
Traditional Thursday or Friday starts to Tests throughout the Caribbean have been largely abandoned over the past three years, the reason given having something to do with tight, inflexible international cricket schedules. Worse though is the fact that two World Cup games will be on “live” on each of the five afternoons of the Test.
So, will you be in the Oval for day one when Germany are taking on Portugal at midday? What about day two, when the Brazilians kick-off against Mexico just after tea? Defending champions Spain face Chile from 3 p.m. on day three, another fixture to test your loyalty, much like Uruguay versus England on day four, the Labour Day holiday.
Much like now, will anyone really care what’s the score at the Oval?

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2685 on: April 21, 2014, 07:32:37 AM »
Mignolet was never getting that call ... even with an official positioned as they are in the CL.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2686 on: April 21, 2014, 11:30:18 AM »
Mignolet was never getting that call ... even with an official positioned as they are in the CL.

No one has suggested that he should have gotten the call... let alone that he would have gotten it with another official on the field.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2687 on: April 21, 2014, 12:11:54 PM »
Mukumsplau: I can't Wait

Tunapuna, Trinidad (AP) - Mukumsplau has revealed that he cannot wait to join Liverpool on a co-ownership agreement for the 2014/15 season. Speaking to reporters while on his way to program his cable to the Benfica-Juventus game on Thursday, the Trinidadian was ecstatic about the Merseyside team's three points against Norwhich on Sunday.

"Enjoy their opening salvo versus teams, and it was very important against this side. A few nervy moments nearing the end but they held on" he said. On their chances at next season he opined "This frenetic pace they go at teams can be maintained with about 4-5 quality purchases for much needed depth. Cannot wait to hear the Champions League anthem playing again at Anfield. Defence needs a bit of shoring up but I'm sure Brendan knows this and will make the necessary moves"

Responding to criticism faced on SWnet on being a bandwagonner, he noted that Liverpool, like Juventus, are steeped in rich footballing history and is important that these clubs return to the european elite and other clubs (name withheld) return to the steaming pile of manure they once belonged. As he put it, "big side is big side."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2688 on: April 21, 2014, 12:53:13 PM »
Liverpool Mum Transfer Rumors

ANFIELD- Liverpool Football Club have officially declined to comment on rumors of a pending move for Juventus' Mukumsplau.  Officials are weary of being accused with "tapping up" another team's supporter, but are unofficially said to maintain an open door policy to anyone interested in joining the legion of Kopites worldwide.

"We are aware of rumors of alleged interest shown by the supporter, he's a good lad, keen, level-headed and composed.  There's always room for lads such as Mukumsplau but we have not approached any other clubs regarding their supporters at this time", said The Artist Formerly Known As Bakes, a member of Club's SW.net hierarchy.

Interest in neutral fans joining the ranks of Liverpool's supporters are understood to be running high with the Anfield club poised to close in on it's first ever Premier League title, and with Brendan Rodgers' men playing an attractive brand of football.  Rodgers has revived the club's fortunes and with it it's preeminence among fans and sponsors worldwide.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #2689 on: April 21, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »
Liverpool playing a nice brand, i hope they win the EPL title.  Their backline a lil shaky but as a Barca fan i can't call anybody backline shaky.

Offline darrel3000

• Full Warrior
  • Go T&T Go!
    • View Profile
    • Professional Audio Sales & Live Event Production
« Reply #2690 on: April 22, 2014, 08:24:10 AM »
just a little treat, this is in Noo Yawk city peeps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfv6yqc95OQ  :beermug:
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? You must be the change you want to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:26 AM »
Courtesy Palos

Following David Moyes' sacking, police have been called to quell the protests outside Old Trafford.

The Liverpool, Man City, and Chelsea fans have all been told to go home. 

Go to work all yuh

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2692 on: April 24, 2014, 09:01:34 AM »
Aldo is echoing my thoughts here  :beermug:

John Aldridge believes Liverpool still have much to do to win Premier League
skysports.com
Last Updated: 24/04/14 2:13pm

Former Liverpool favourite John Aldridge has sounded a note of caution over their chances of ending their long wait for a Premier League title.

Liverpool head into Sunday's pivotal clash with injury-hit Chelsea with a five-point lead over Jose Mourinho's side, while Manchester City are a further point adrift having played a game less.

Many experts have predicted Liverpool will be impossible to catch if they emerge victorious at Anfield, but Aldridge insists there is still plenty of hard work ahead.

Aldridge was part of the Liverpool team that suffered a shock 2-0 defeat to Arsenal at Anfield in the last game of the 1988/89 season, when Michael Thomas snatched the title for the Gunners with virtually the last kick of the campaign.

"Everyone had said Arsenal had no chance whatsoever," he told Sky Sports News. "To win 2-0 at Anfield looked unlikely at the time, but we all know what happened.

"So I think that's a massive example, but the lads this season have got their feet on the floor and the attitude is fantastic.

"I've been watching football at Anfield for nearly 50 years, and I think this year is the best I've ever seen. When you're taking the top teams apart in the manner which they've done, it's been frighteningly good."

Aldridge believes captain Steven Gerrard has been the driving force for Liverpool this season, and his performances reminded the former Reds striker of the Anfield glory years.

"Gerrard has been just inspirational," he added. "I've known Steve for a long time and he's epitomised what Liverpool Football Club was all about in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

"He's been fantastic, and the role that Brendan Rodgers has picked for him has been a blessing in disguise because he's taken to it like a duck to water.

"He's like a manager on the pitch. What Brendan needs to get across, Steve's been doing it.

"That was underlined after the Manchester City game, when he told the players it wasn't all over and there was a lot of hard work to be done.

"Chelsea, even though they've got a couple of injuries, their squad is capable of beating anyone, so nothing's being taken for granted."

Mourinho has hinted he will played a largely second-string side this weekend as he rests key players for Wednesday's Champions League semi-final second leg against Atletico Madrid.

But Aldridge believes Liverpool are in the sort of form to beat any top team at home.

"I don't think Liverpool fear any side," he said. "They respect every team that comes to Anfield, but they will use a lot of pace and presence and direction.

"We've got the players to scare defences, and I think Chelsea have got to go there to score goals because Liverpool will score and they might have to score two or three to get a result.

"I'll be surprised if Mourinho does put a young, inexperienced side out. While you still have the opportunity to win the league, then you've got to go for it.

"He's got a massive semi-final game next week, but if he gets nine points in three league games then Chelsea can still win the Premier League. But whoever he plays, you need to treat them with the utmost respect.

"Liverpool will be much the same side. They may bring in Agger for Sakho, but I think Brendan will leave it. If Sturridge is not fit enough, then Lucas will probably come in.

"Unfortunately we've not got enough on the bench to come on and change a game, but the 11 players on the pitch can beat anyone as they've shown in the past.

"I think Liverpool will give Chelsea lots of respect, but I think they will have too much for them on the day. Even if Chelsea had their first team out I think Liverpool would have too much, and I'll think they will win by the odd goal."

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2693 on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
Thank you for posting boss, and like you, Aldo is echoing my sentiments.

I didn't take on Mourinho with his rather transparent mind games with regards to Chelsea's title chances. All one has to do is judge his true intentions by his furious reaction to the refereeing in Chelsea-Sunderland match last weekend; his response was more of a manager trying to win the league, rather than one who conceded the title.

And Mourinho, to quote a barb that he leveled at Arsene Wenger in the recent past, is "not a specialist in failure"

I do not think Abramovich would appreciate it if Mourinho were not trying to win the league with his charges either

So Liverpool better be ready and focused for the full ninety minutes on Sunday.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 09:51:51 AM by kaliman2006 »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2694 on: April 27, 2014, 07:53:56 AM »
over to alyuh now!
I pity the fool....

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2695 on: April 27, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2696 on: April 27, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »
Brutal game from a footballing perspective... but Chelsea has no reason to complain.  Chalk one up for cynical football.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2697 on: April 27, 2014, 08:59:08 AM »
lawd fadder ;D
I pity the fool....

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: April 27, 2014, 09:00:05 AM »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2699 on: April 27, 2014, 09:00:35 AM »
Brutal game from a footballing perspective... but Chelsea has no reason to complain.  Chalk one up for cynical football.

No, chalk two up.

1]; } ?>