April 28, 2024, 05:05:25 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 466000 times)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #900 on: August 26, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
Dis $hit side down 1-0 to de Turkish team

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 26, 2010, 01:25:07 PM »
Good comeback, 'Pool.  Up 2-1.  Everyone knows Turkey is a hostile environemnt to play in, so I will take this win, with the significantly weakned side side we put out: no Torres, Gerrard, Agger, Maxi, Masch..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 26, 2010, 03:00:29 PM »
Good comeback, 'Pool.  Up 2-1.  Everyone knows Turkey is a hostile environemnt to play in, so I will take this win, with the significantly weakned side side we put out: no Torres, Gerrard, Agger, Maxi, Masch..

What's de deal with Maxi?  Ah see he was on de bench whole game against City.  Imagine we spend ah setta money on Aquilani and now yuh cyah even see him on de bench self.  At least Kyrgiakos providing depth (even if just a body) in the back.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 27, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »

What's de deal with Maxi?  Ah see he was on de bench whole game against City.  Imagine we spend ah setta money on Aquilani and now yuh cyah even see him on de bench self.  At least Kyrgiakos providing depth (even if just a body) in the back.

Aquilani was loaned to Juventus last weekend.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 28, 2010, 09:16:42 AM »
Aquilani was loaned to Juventus last weekend.

I'm aware of this... you miss my point, he was supposed to be the replacement for Alonso and can't even self make the bench.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 28, 2010, 08:21:13 PM »
and why we let alonso go? steups man...
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: September 07, 2010, 01:05:31 PM »
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/9928/liverpool-tracking-dutch-star-elia

Liverpool are keeping tabs on Holland forward Eljero Elia as Roy Hodgson looks to strengthen his attacking options.

Elia, who plays for German side Hamburg, is regarded as one of the most exciting talents in Europe and played an important role as a substitute as Holland reached the World Cup final earlier this summer.

Hodgson is monitoring the 23-year-old after missing out on a forward at the end of the summer transfer window.

The Liverpool manager wants to bolster his support options for star striker Fernando Torres after his late move for Bayern Munich frontman Mario Gomez fell through.

Elia, who can play as both a winger and a striker, is seen as a direct replacement for Ryan Babel, who himself is available for transfer and was close to moving to West Ham or Tottenham on deadline day.
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: September 07, 2010, 04:08:26 PM »
What is there to "monitor"?  Elia is a clear upgrade to Babel, who I personally like but who has failed to distinguish himself with the chances he was given.  Even Ngog come this season and thiefing he shine.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: September 09, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
What is there to "monitor"?  Elia is a clear upgrade to Babel, who I personally like but who has failed to distinguish himself with the chances he was given.  Even Ngog come this season and thiefing he shine.

ent... Babel needs to stop tweeting... ::)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: September 09, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »

Stop Tweeting and rapping, and concentrate on playing good football consistently

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: September 09, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »

Stop Tweeting and rapping, and concentrate on playing good football consistently

Dutch hip-hop yo...  :rotfl:

What's up with that?...  ::)

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: September 10, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Ryan Babel has three months to save Liverpool FC career

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport-news/liverpool-fc/2010/09/11/ryan-babel-has-three-months-to-save-liverpool-fc-career-55578-27245563/

and I quote... "ROY HODGSON has urged Ryan Babel to make the most of his latest Liverpool FC chance after hinting the Dutchman may have only three months to save his Anfield career.

Hodgson admitted yesterday that Babel would have left the club on transfer deadline day had he been able to bring in a new striker, with both West Ham United and Tottenham Hotspur potential suitors.

But the Anfield manager – who could renew his search for a forward in the January transfer window with the lack of backup for Fernando Torres – said: “For two years, Ryan hasn’t had much of a look in. He was brought in with a lot of pomp and ceremony after winning the European under-21 Championship.

“I saw him play several times there as I was working for UEFA. He was being chased by clubs all over Europe at that time.

“But since coming here he hasn’t fulfilled that potential. So when there were offers for him, we were prepared to allow him to go and speak to those but making it perfectly clear that other things would have to slot into place to allow him to go."

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: September 12, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
Pepe Reina:  World class.  Talk done!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: September 12, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »

Only player out there in red worth talking about... well, that's being unfair to Konchesky who had a great debut before limping off.  The rest of the squad has played uninspired football.  Torres looks a shell of himself... how many games do you really need to get back in form?  We missed Kuyt big time today.... not even sure what Maxi did all game other than play tentative football and make wayward passes.

If Birmingham had any class up front we woulda get level cutass today.

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: September 12, 2010, 10:57:09 AM »

Only player out there in red worth talking about... well, that's being unfair to Konchesky who had a great debut before limping off.  The rest of the squad has played uninspired football.  Torres looks a shell of himself... how many games do you really need to get back in form?  We missed Kuyt big time today.... not even sure what Maxi did all game other than play tentative football and make wayward passes.

If Birmingham had any class up front we woulda get level cutass today.

ent...

Meireles looks lively... 0-0 I could live with dat, but 3 points would have been ideal....

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: September 12, 2010, 11:09:18 AM »
Remember, Torres really didn't have a season last year.  He was hurt more than he played, then forced himself to come out early for the World Cup, when he really needed the summer to gradually regain fitness.  He'll come good eventually.  Some men on that team not fit to wear the shirt, and we need to get new owners before January.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: September 12, 2010, 11:27:14 AM »
Torres was with the Spain squad in the middle of last week in Argentina, which is ridiculous. How on earth could a national team go across the world for a friendly in the middle of the club season?

None of the big 4, Tottenham or Manchester City won at St. Andrews last season. This is not a bad result (even though it was an uninspiring performance).

This team will take time to gel. Roy will take time to figure out his best XI, and his best formation, so I think some patience and perspective might be required.  :beermug:

P.S. I still maintain Glen Johnson is not a fullback.

P.P.S Reina. Best goalkeeper in the Premier League.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:36:42 AM by boss »

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »
Remember, Torres really didn't have a season last year.  He was hurt more than he played, then forced himself to come out early for the World Cup, when he really needed the summer to gradually regain fitness.  He'll come good eventually.  Some men on that team not fit to wear the shirt, and we need to get new owners before January.

You'll have new owners in a few weeks - The Royal Bank of Scotland

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: September 12, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »

:shameonyou:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: September 12, 2010, 03:05:46 PM »

If not Reina, then who?  He has been the most consistent over the last 5 seasons.  His range on crosses is much better than when he first came to the EPL and his foot skills are the best out of any EPL 'keeper; he plays the ball like an outside player.  He is also an excellent shot stopper.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 03:44:32 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Red Mango

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: September 12, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »

If not Reina, then who?  He has been the most consistent over the last 5 seasons.  His range on crosses is much better then when he first came to the EPL and his foot skills are the best out of any EPL 'keeper; he plays the ball like an outside player.  He is also an excellent shot stopper.

Tenor... some fellas cyah see kwality hoss... dey mesmerized by Jose Mourinho's squad dat Carlo managing... Cech dat...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: September 12, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
Torres was with the Spain squad in the middle of last week in Argentina, which is ridiculous. How on earth could a national team go across the world for a friendly in the middle of the club season?

None of the big 4, Tottenham or Manchester City won at St. Andrews last season. This is not a bad result (even though it was an uninspiring performance).

This team will take time to gel. Roy will take time to figure out his best XI, and his best formation, so I think some patience and perspective might be required.  :beermug:

P.S. I still maintain Glen Johnson is not a fullback.

I not quarrelling with the result (I had Brum defenders on my fantasy squad so I know about them, especially after Jerome shock we last season).. I more taking issue with how we play.  Getting 3 points there when the best we could do for the previous six games was come away with ties... was always going to be tough.

Point noted on Torres... I forgot about the friendly in Buenos Aires on Tuesday.  I honestly hope that it's just taking time, but everything, from his runs, to his passes... to most shockingly, his touch.. has been ridiculously off.  This has been so since the WC, his control and technique has really suffered as has his overall form.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: September 12, 2010, 06:55:50 PM »

If not Reina, then who?  He has been the most consistent over the last 5 seasons.  His range on crosses is much better than when he first came to the EPL and his foot skills are the best out of any EPL 'keeper; he plays the ball like an outside player.  He is also an excellent shot stopper.

The best keepers on current form in the EPL imo...

1. Van Der Sar
2. Hart
3. Cech
4. Friedel
5. Reina

On class, Van Der Sar is the best keeper in the league hands down.

Reina is overrated for my money. The defensive cover he was afforded by Rafa's pragmatic system covered up plenty cracks. His strongpoint is his reflexes which makes him and excellent shot stopper, and yes he's improved on his command of the pk box. But his ability on distance shooting i find to be suspect and he is prone to glaring lapses in concentration (see the last couple games) which for me rule him out of any kinda reckoning as a best keeper.

Yuh hardly ever see VDS let in a goal that he should have saved, forget the acrobatics and the single game heroics, that kinda consistency is the single most important factor of a world class keeper.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: September 12, 2010, 07:15:11 PM »

1. Van Der Sar
2. Hart
3. Cech
4. Friedel
5. Reina

Reina is overrated for my money. The defensive cover he was afforded by Rafa's pragmatic system covered up plenty cracks.

Rafa's "pragmatic system"... exactly what is that??  Because defensively Liverpool has been struggling the past 3 seasons or so, as evidenced by the rotating door around Carragher and Skrtel at the back.  Is only since last season Agger has stepped up his play while Glen Johnson came to the squad and provided inconsistent play himself.  Improvements at LB and RB has coincided with Carra's struggles last season so at no point was the defense providing the type of solid "cover" you're implying... yet Reina tied Cech with the most clean sheets last season (Liverpool's worst defensive showing in years) and is again near the top this season. 

He perennially ranks near the top in terms of clean sheets while playing a high number of minutes (tied for most minutes played last season), faced 355 shots and let in only 35, including 4 penalties and 1 beach ball assist.

His strongpoint is his reflexes which makes him and excellent shot stopper, and yes he's improved on his command of the pk box. But his ability on distance shooting i find to be suspect and he is prone to glaring lapses in concentration (see the last couple games) which for me rule him out of any kinda reckoning as a best keeper.

In which games did he suffer "glaring lapses in concentration"?  City, when we played no defense whatsoever?  Arsenal when he was battling the sun in his eyes among other factors?  Or did he suffer a lapse in concentration today that we don't know about?  Maybe he wasn't concentrating hard enough when he slipped on that clearance against Argentina midweek... right?

Yuh hardly ever see VDS let in a goal that he should have saved, forget the acrobatics and the single game heroics, that kinda consistency is the single most important factor of a world class keeper.

And yuh hardly ever see Reina let in a goal that he should have saved... subjectivity of that statement aside, I'm not sure if it's even a valid accusation against Reina.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: September 12, 2010, 07:35:35 PM »

1. Van Der Sar
2. Hart
3. Cech
4. Friedel
5. Reina

Reina is overrated for my money. The defensive cover he was afforded by Rafa's pragmatic system covered up plenty cracks.

Rafa's "pragmatic system"... exactly what is that??  Because defensively Liverpool has been struggling the past 3 seasons or so, as evidenced by the rotating door around Carragher and Skrtel at the back.  Is only since last season Agger has stepped up his play while Glen Johnson came to the squad and provided inconsistent play himself.  Improvements at LB and RB has coincided with Carra's struggles last season so at no point was the defense providing the type of solid "cover" you're implying... yet Reina tied Cech with the most clean sheets last season (Liverpool's worst defensive showing in years) and is again near the top this season. 

He perennially ranks near the top in terms of clean sheets while playing a high number of minutes (tied for most minutes played last season), faced 355 shots and let in only 35, including 4 penalties and 1 beach ball assist.

Pragmatic system... not talking about the players. That is in short a defensive four protected by 2 deep lying defensive midfielders and helped out by hardworking wingers that often retreat to provide 2 waves of cover, plus often a 5th midfielder instead of 2 forwards. Rafa never sets up his team for all out attack and takes few risks.

Maybe you can go google a stat on goal attempts conceded by Liverpool in comparison to other teams in the league and then it would be instructive of the point im making about Reina's workload over Rafa's reign. Imo, as soon as Liverpool start regressing and the covers get pull off of Reina he was exposed.

In which games did he suffer "glaring lapses in concentration"?  City, when we played no defense whatsoever?  Arsenal when he was battling the sun in his eyes among other factors?  Or did he suffer a lapse in concentration today that we don't know about?  Maybe he wasn't concentrating hard enough when he slipped on that clearance against Argentina midweek... right?

Yes, a slip on a rudimentary clearance is a lapse in concentration. They crucify Paul Robinson for doing something a hundred times easier to justify than that. Forgetting the 'sun in he eye' excuse in the Arsenal game i talking about general observation of his play. The occasional comedy moments that he does drop on yuh, throwing the ball out to an opposing attacker, the occasional flapping that mightn't result in goals but as a keeper should be kept to a minimum.. I'm not saying he is not a very good keeper, I am just saying he eh up there with the best for me. Yuh doh see Buffon, Casillas, VDS, Given, Friedel and even Valdes doing dem ting with any kinda regularity.

His strongpoint is his reflexes which makes him and excellent shot stopper, and yes he's improved on his command of the pk box. But his ability on distance shooting i find to be suspect and he is prone to glaring lapses in concentration (see the last couple games) which for me rule him out of any kinda reckoning as a best keeper.

And yuh hardly ever see Reina let in a goal that he should have saved... subjectivity of that statement aside, I'm not sure if it's even a valid accusation against Reina.

Of course its a subjective statement, there is no absolutes in an opinionated football discussion. I would disagree, I fed up see Reina let in goals that he couldve done much better with.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:39:07 PM by dinho »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: September 12, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »
Pragmatic system... not talking about the players. That is in short a defensive four protected by 2 deep lying defensive midfielders and helped out by hardworking wingers that often retreat to provide 2 waves of cover, plus often a 5th midfielder instead of 2 forwards. Rafa never sets up his team for all out attack and takes few risks.

Wow... I'm awed by your impressive command of strategic generalizations.  Everything you say there is equally applicable to Chelsea (for instance) who will occasionally played Drogba up top by himself with 5 midfielders.  The only difference of late has been Ancellotti's "diamond" formation which negates the reliance on wingers in favor of a compact midfield four supporting Drogba and Anelka up top.  Before Ancellotti, much of your so-called "pragmatic system" was equally true of any of the big four, with Arsenal the notable exception. 

I don't even have to get into analyzing ManU. to show how it applies to them as well... but "in short" a defensive four helped out by a deep lying Michael Carrick, with Scholes playing a more dynamic role, dropping back or pushing forward as necessary.  The past several seasons Rooney and Ronaldo were up front, but often Ronaldo played just behind Rooney with Scholes and Carrick, and Anderson and Park on the wings, or berba and Giggs on the wings.

Not Ancelloti, nor Ferguson ever "sets up [their]team for all out attack and [take]few risks"

Maybe you can go google a stat on goal attempts conceded by Liverpool in comparison to other teams in the league and then it would be instructive of the point im making about Reina's workload over Rafa's reign. Imo, as soon as Liverpool start regressing and the covers get pull off of Reina he was exposed.

No need for google... but since you asked for it http://www.thescore.com/epl/teams/0/goalie_splits?season_id=5&type=shots_faced&view_type=standard

Peruse that and you'll see that Reina's 355 shots faced was more than what both Cech (312) and Van der Sar (222) had to face.  His save percentage (.098) is respectable when you look at Cech (.089) and Van der Sar (.058) save rates, relative to shots faced, and # of clean sheets... in other words, his save rate is lower, but not at all surprising given how many shots he faced compared to the other two... and pretty impressive given that he still managed to tie for league lead in clean sheets.  All this DESPITE playing behind a very leaky shitty defense last season. 

Yes, a slip on a rudimentary clearance is a lapse in concentration. They crucify Paul Robinson for doing something a hundred times easier to justify than that. Forgetting the 'sun in he eye' excuse in the Arsenal game i talking about general observation of his play. The occasional comedy moments that he does drop on yuh, throwing the ball out to an opposing attacker, the occasional flapping that mightn't result in goals but as a keeper should be kept to a minimum.. I'm not saying he is not a very good keeper, I am just saying he eh up there with the best for me. Yuh doh see Buffon, Casillas, VDS, Given, Friedel and even Valdes doing dem ting with any kinda regularity.

Robinson took his eye off the ball and get embarrassed by a clump of grass.  Reina's plant foot slipped out from under him... how is that a "lapse in concentration"... he shoulda been concentrating more on the loose sod in the penalty box rather than looking upfield as he surveyed for a team mate to pass to?  Yuh not making much sense here... sorry.

"throwing the ball out to an opposing attacker"??  Reina is widely acknowledged as one of the best distributor's of the ball in the EPL.  Buffon, Casillas and Valdes... which EPL teams dem play for again?

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: September 12, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »

Wow... I'm awed by your impressive command of strategic generalizations.  Everything you say there is equally applicable to Chelsea (for instance) who will occasionally played Drogba up top by himself with 5 midfielders.  The only difference of late has been Ancellotti's "diamond" formation which negates the reliance on wingers in favor of a compact midfield four supporting Drogba and Anelka up top.  Before Ancellotti, much of your so-called "pragmatic system" was equally true of any of the big four, with Arsenal the notable exception. 

I don't even have to get into analyzing ManU. to show how it applies to them as well... but "in short" a defensive four helped out by a deep lying Michael Carrick, with Scholes playing a more dynamic role, dropping back or pushing forward as necessary.  The past several seasons Rooney and Ronaldo were up front, but often Ronaldo played just behind Rooney with Scholes and Carrick, and Anderson and Park on the wings, or berba and Giggs on the wings.

Not Ancelloti, nor Ferguson ever "sets up [their]team for all out attack and [take]few risks"

Chelsea and Manchester United play the same pragmatic brand as Liverpool....  ::) okay

No need for google... but since you asked for it http://www.thescore.com/epl/teams/0/goalie_splits?season_id=5&type=shots_faced&view_type=standard

Peruse that and you'll see that Reina's 355 shots faced was more than what both Cech (312) and Van der Sar (222) had to face.  His save percentage (.098) is respectable when you look at Cech (.089) and Van der Sar (.058) save rates, relative to shots faced, and # of clean sheets... in other words, his save rate is lower, but not at all surprising given how many shots he faced compared to the other two... and pretty impressive given that he still managed to tie for league lead in clean sheets.  All this DESPITE playing behind a very leaky shitty defense last season. 

Umm.. maybe he faced more shots than the other two because Van Der Sar and Cech were out injured for longer than he was over the season? My bad though, i should have been more specific and directed you to go google a per game average of shots per game fielded over the the seasons that spanned Rafa's tenure. 

Robinson took his eye off the ball and get embarrassed by a clump of grass.  Reina's plant foot slipped out from under him... how is that a "lapse in concentration"... he shoulda been concentrating more on the loose sod in the penalty box rather than looking upfield as he surveyed for a team mate to pass to?  Yuh not making much sense here... sorry.

"throwing the ball out to an opposing attacker"??  Reina is widely acknowledged as one of the best distributor's of the ball in the EPL.  Buffon, Casillas and Valdes... which EPL teams dem play for again?

Its a lapse in concentration because one could argue that he move too casual or attack the ball at the wrong angle or wasn't positive enough about clearing and end up embarassing himself.. He certainly eh do himself no favors in that game to trouble Casillas from the #1 jersey and dem kinda plays doh get de kinda sympathy you willing to extend. It was a laughable error on his part. If you dont see the difference between that and the frankoment bad bounce that Robinson get then more power to you.

As for the keepers, I was just following on in general for people who like to put him up there as one of the best keepers in the world. But if you want to stick to EPL then the statement holds true for the keepers I mention that are ahead of him in an earlier post.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: September 12, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »
Chelsea and Manchester United play the same pragmatic brand as Liverpool....  ::) okay

yeah.. I'm sure that's what I said.

Umm.. maybe he faced more shots than the other two because Van Der Sar and Cech were out injured for longer than he was over the season? My bad though, i should have been more specific and directed you to go google a per game average of shots per game fielded over the the seasons that spanned Rafa's tenure.

Or maybe the Liverpool defense in front of him was just simply worse than the defenses in front of Van der Sar and Cech.  But we know how ridiculous that sounds, so leh we just go with your "pragmatic system" theory instead.

Its a lapse in concentration because one could argue that he move too casual or attack the ball at the wrong angle or wasn't positive enough about clearing and end up embarassing himself..

Or maybe little green men from Mars was dancing down on the Argentine endline and ketch he eye... distracting him from watching out for loose sod in the penalty box.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: September 13, 2010, 04:03:13 AM »

Chelsea have not played a 4-5-1 on any occasion since Ancelotti took over. 442 diamond or 433 every time. And they stopped playing the diamond since January.

1]; } ?>