March 29, 2024, 08:49:23 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 460237 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2009, 11:26:53 AM »
Benitez gets his timing wrong

* Phil McNulty - Sport Online chief football writer
    * 20 Jan 09, 08:30 AM

Rafael Benitez was defiant - no surprise given that he has been little else in two weeks of turbulence created by his decision to wage public war inside and outside Anfield.

Liverpool, are not, he insisted, in the process of proving Sir Alex Ferguson's point that nerves would be their downfall as they chase the title that has escaped them for 19 years.

And the merest suggestion that Benitez himself had cranked up the pressure with his own behaviour, first via a public attack on Ferguson then by revealing his rejection of a new contract, was swatted away emphatically.

Like good comedy, however, the secret of such public pronouncements lies in the timing and Liverpool's late stumble as they were deservedly held to a 1-1 draw by Everton at Anfield suggests Benitez's has got his wrong.

Benitez's bold blast at Ferguson was the catalyst for a stumbling Liverpool performance at Stoke followed by Manchester United's dismissal of Chelsea.

The airing of his contract grievances came just before United hit the top at Bolton and Liverpool failed to take their own chance to move back to the top of the Premier League by beating Everton.

And it seems the nerves are gripping everyone at Anfield.

Marvellous song though it is, "Panic" by The Smiths may not have been the most appropriate choice of pre-match music by Anfield's resident DJ just as Everton fans were giving voice to their belief Benitez was "cracking up".

Of course Liverpool's defenders hardly had Rafa's contract on their mind as Tim Cahill glanced in the 87th-minute header that equalised Steven Gerrard's thunderous strike.

But there is no escaping the simple truth that Benitez has caused needless waves within and without Liverpool at a time when all was going smoothly. Why not just lurk nicely under the radar?

In Benitez's defence, he had a valid argument that Liverpool were only three minutes away from a vital victory and if you had offered them their current position in August it would have been welcomed with open arms.

But, rather significantly, they did not survive those last three minutes and showed too many signs of a team that are not yet convinced they can be champions this season.

And for all his positive words, there was a slump of the shoulders and a resigned body language from Benitez in his post-match inquest that suggests he knows there has been a shift in momentum in the title race, even though it is not by any means a decisive one.

Everton, it must be stressed, are formidable opponents under manager David Moyes and it was not a huge shock when Cahill glanced in Mikel Arteta's vicious late free-kick. More of them later.

But Liverpool, and Benitez's, reaction to taking the lead after 68 minutes was conservatism personified. What they had they intended to hold - a risky strategy at any time, but especially against a team as battle-hardened and resilient as Everton.

It was a toss-up between whether Liverpool felt Gerrard's goal meant it was "job done" or they simply did not have the courage of their convictions to try and finish Everton off.

Either way, caution can no longer be the basis for their title campaign. It has already cost them too much.

Benitez was the subject of some questioning in the aftermath for his decision to remove Fernando Torres shortly before Cahill's goal, sending on the trusted Lucas to see out the final few minutes.

Torres looked exhausted, but if he was to be removed was Javier Mascherano not the better option?

And once again Robbie Keane endured a nightmare evening before the traditional round of sympathetic Anfield applause accompanied his early departure.

It may be an optical illusion, but on occasions it almost looks like his Liverpool colleagues are unaware of Keane's actual presence on the pitch. The game goes on around him. He waits in vain for passes that never come. He makes runs that are rarely spotted.

He has no natural link with Torres and it is not a pretty sight to see a player who is normally the epitome of exuberance and confidence running on empty when it comes to both of those crucial commodities.

Liverpool's fans certainly did their bit with ear-splitting backing for their team, but they were ominously silent at the final whistle as Everton's supporters celebrated.

And they deserved to celebrate after watching their side make light of paper-thin resources once more.

Moyes is fashioning another excellent season from a group of players who he says would be top of the league if points were awarded for spirit.

In previous Anfield visits, they looked as if it would not actually cross their minds that they could win - a lack of belief reflected in wretched results,

But this was a performance of confidence as well as resolve, with Steven Pienaar leading the way in following Moyes' mantra of bravery in possession.

The heroes, however, were at the back, with Phil Jagielka once again suggesting he cannot be far from an England recall and Leighton Baines playing arguably his finest game for the club.

And, for the team with no strikers, how valuable is the contribution of goalscorer Cahill?

A nuisance for 90 minutes, occasionally driving Martin Skrtel to distraction, he has the priceless knack of arriving unmarked in the penalty area.

Everton have now drawn against Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool this season - the next step they take may be the most crucial.

Self-belief and positive thinking is the key, as it is for Liverpool and Benitez.

Liverpool's title bandwagon has hardly come flying off the rails, but there is little doubt unsteadiness and uncertainty has crept in at a most inopportune time.

Time to put away the politics and focus on the football.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2009, 11:28:38 AM »
He's Cracking Up
He's Cracking Up
He's Crackinggg
Rafa's Cracking Up

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Breaking News- Mourinho thinks Liverpool can win the title.
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2009, 11:44:11 AM »
Shock of the day!

:o

Maybe I should reconsider my dislike of Mourinho.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4847797,00.html

Mourinho - Liverpool can win
Jose sees no reason why Reds can't lift title
Last updated: 25th January 2009

Mourinho: Believes in Liverpool

Related links
Teams
Internazionale
Liverpool
More TeamsManchester United
Also see
Liverpool fixtures
Liverpool stats
Liverpool forum
Former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho believes Liverpool have the ability to win this season's Premier League title.

Liverpool currently sit second in the table, level on points with leaders Manchester United but having played a game more.

However, Mourinho still believes that the Merseyside club have all the tools necessary to maintain their championship challenge.

"It has been interesting watching Liverpool this season. I think they have everything they need to win the title," he wrote in the Sunday Telegraph.

"I still can't understand why they didn't do it in the last four years. Why wouldn't they be able to do it this season? Of course they can.

"The manager is good, the players are good, the crowd is unique, the tradition of the club is big, so why can't they do it? I think they can."

Lost Points
The current Inter Milan boss did warn Liverpool that their traditional league slump in the second half of the season could prove costly.

"Usually it is when the UEFA Champions League starts that they lose their focus on the Premier League," Mourinho added.

"It was like this in previous years when they did very well in the Champions League but they lost too many points in the championship.

"They have already lost 10 points at home by drawing the kind of matches they used to win. Against Stoke, Fulham, West Ham, Hull and Everton it has been two points lost. So if you can imagine that they had those 10 points now, they would be top of the league."

The Game
The charismatic Portuguese manager also played down the rift between Rafa Benitez and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, saying the recent dispute was not down to a lack of mutual respect.

"As for these stories I read about Rafael Benitez and Alex Ferguson exchanging words, this is all part of the game," he said.

"It is part of the fight you have to make to win a title, part of the pressure that managers try and put on other managers, clubs and structures to try to get an advantage.

"I think Benitez and Ferguson respect each other and both know they are contenders for the title. I don't think it is personal."

Prem 2008/09 Win Outright: Liverpool 4/1

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News- Mourinho thinks Liverpool can win the title.
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2009, 11:52:13 AM »
jose come like de guy who thought he wanted to fart.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2009, 11:52:25 AM »
Pennant rues Rafa treatment

by RivalsDM

Updated: January 23, 2009, 7:01 PM EST

Former teenage prodigy Pennant, 26, is looking forward to kicking off his Pompey career in the FA Cup clash with Swansea after arriving at Fratton Park on a six-month loan deal following three months out in the cold at Anfield.

Although he joined Arsenal for a £2million fee from home-town club Notts County 10 years ago and became their youngest player in a competitive match at just over 16, he was rarely given a chance by manager Arsene Wenger.

Pennant had loan spells at Watford and Leeds before joining Birmingham who sold him to Liverpool for �6million in 2005.

He forced his way into a star-studded team and played in a Champions League final.

But this season, after coming back from a broken leg, Pennant made just three starts for the Reds - the last in a 1-0 win over Portsmouth in their new manager Tony Adams' first match in charge - and claims he was a victim of manager Rafael Benitez's preference for foreign talent.

He said: "I don't know what it is with me and Rafa. He knows I've got the ability and that I'm capable of playing in his team.

"But when you find yourself suddenly training on your own - when all the other boys are out there - and it's just a couple of years after playing in a Champions League final, you've got to wonder where you are going.

Pennant told Sky Sports he felt his career was "rotting away" in Liverpool's reserves and that he simply had to review his options.

"I've come here to Portsmouth to do a job for them and when my contract is finished in July then the world's my oyster," he said.

"I don't think Liverpool will be watching or coming back for me. They can't say anything to me really.

"All I've said to Rafa in the last couple of seasons is 'good morning' and things like that, but you can't knock him. It's his team and he's won plenty of trophies, including the Champions League.

"But it does look as if, apart from the obvious ones, you stand a better chance of being in the team there if you are a foreigner."

Adams was firmly established as Arsenal and England captain when Pennant arrived at Highbury from Notts County.

"He's always been a quality talent," the Pompey boss said.

"Signing a player like Jermaine wasn't a major priority but he's a major addition to the squad.

"I've no fears about him not having played for a while because he's bright and quick and naturally fit."

Adams is glad to have Pennant available, particularly after a scan revealed that Croatia midfielder Niko Kranjcar has torn a groin muscle and is likely to be out long-term.

Kranjcar, who has already admitted he expects to be sold by Pompey in the summer, missed the beginning of the current campaign following an ankle operation and has made only 10 starts since returning in November.

"It looks a bad one and we'll miss him for what I believe will be quite a while," said Adams.

Regarding Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round tie against Championship Swansea at Fratton Park, Adams added: "They are playing probably some of their best football in the division at the moment. They destroyed Reading last week with their passing in a 4-3-3 set up.

"I don't think I can give them bigger praise than that and although we'll start favourites as the holders we've got to stay as resilient as we have been in the last few games to avoid being punished."

Adams has dismissed fears that his England goalkeeper David James is only playing on thanks to a painkilling injection in his knee.

Adams told the Portsmouth News: "He will be absolutely fine and I can't imagine he won't play tomorrow.

"He doesn't need an operation and probably doesn't need another injection either."

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9125166/Pennant-rues-Rafa-treatment

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »
 :rotfl:

Jose could real mamaguy man yes..... funny how he eh think that they "can" win the Cl also.

He just like attention and have to deflect the press/ public away from Juve taking Serie A this year and the stick he getting for allowing them to catch up
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »
But I find he right. Liverpool in a good position and ManU carrying a lot of injuries, particularly in the defence. I'm sure all those injuries and the number of games they have to play (CL,EPL,FAcup,CarlingCup) will eventually take their toll.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

giggsy11

« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2009, 12:10:47 PM »
Robbie Keane is probably asking similar questions and have similar frustrations. Wonder if he is training on his own?

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2009, 12:14:17 PM »
Mind games.

Rafa was Jose's bunny during The Special One's reign in the Premiership.
Rafa is now Fergie's bunny, and Fergie is the king of chain-up talk.

Jose must be laughing heartily ... especially after Liverpool draw at home just now.
Pressure is on Rafa.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
I was wondering if the Robbie Keane purchase was done without Rafa approval.
Keane cant play up front on his own, therefore he cant be a Torres backup.
We shoulda tried Babel down the middle and see what woulda happened at least.
ah cant understand having Ngog in the matchday squad instead of Keane.
anybody else feel something sinister afoot?

Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2009, 06:21:44 PM »
Mods - it have a Liverpool vs Everton thread down at the bottom of the page.

Wha we go do bout that?!?!

Més que un club.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2009, 06:26:27 PM »
Mods - it have a Liverpool vs Everton thread down at the bottom of the page.

Wha we go do bout that?!?!
someweher ah did read Tallman is ah Man U supporter..maybe thais why he ent want to upset he boy them  :devil:

but yeah they should merge that Everton game though
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline LondonTrini LFC

• El mejor...
  • Jr. Warrior
  • Rafa is Magic
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2009, 03:04:19 PM »
the season ends in May...

But I will say this... The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes, everything else is pure theory...

the table does not lie though... Liverpool are where they are because they have lost 1 game to Spurs... they have drawn too many games as well...

Regardless, the red half of Manchester can't afford to lose any games either...

Let's see what transpires, eh fellas...
Shut up Sven...

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2009, 01:35:52 PM »
wigan v liverpool on fsc now.

giggsy11

« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »
Mido is one of the biggest shithounds/shitsnakes playin in the EPL!  Lord have mercy, doh understand why he dos still geh run!

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2009, 03:12:48 PM »
just now wigan will equalise

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2009, 03:30:02 PM »
Penal!

Mido does the job.

Gerrard off, Robbie Keane on to rescue them
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

giggsy11

« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
Penal!

Mido does the job.

Gerrard off, Robbie Keane on to rescue them

Rafa going for the draw!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »
Mido is one of the biggest shithounds/shitsnakes playin in the EPL!  Lord have mercy, doh understand why he dos still geh run!

Because he can score penalties!  :devil:
Ah have to say it:If Liverpool don't come back and win this game, their title hopes are over!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

giggsy11

« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2009, 03:43:09 PM »

Because he can score penalties!  :devil:
Ah have to say it:If Liverpool don't come back and win this game, their title hopes are over!

Ah think yuh ment tuh say their chances of finishing second are over!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2009, 03:54:21 PM »
Benitez need to find a new team to manage.  Yuh telling me that Keane good for a 5 min sweat? F**K off.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2009, 03:57:11 PM »
This Rafa is a goat.

I think Yahoo gamecast says it best:

"72' LIVERPOOL SUB: Sometimes I want to do painful, tortuous things to Rafa Benitez, like he does to me. He has taken off Torres - the only striker - and brought on Riera - a winger. Even though Keane and Kuyt are on the bench. AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!"

"84' LIVERPOOL SUB: Benitez finally brings on Keane but OH NO WHAT IS HE DOING!!?? He takes Gerrard off. Gerrard!! The only man who scores late goals for you all the time! Your best player! After taking off your second-best player, the person next most likely to score late goals etc etc. I give up."

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 03:59:23 PM by omarldinho »

giggsy11

« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »
Benitez need to find a new team to manage.  Yuh telling me that Keane good for a 5 min sweat? F**K off.

Obviously I aint no Shiterpool fan but I must say the way he has dealt with Keane has been immature and spiteful. It just is not right that he puttin his personal feelings ahead of the best interest of the side's ambitions. And is not like the players he has played ahead of Keane are better or have been better. My condolences with that one.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2009, 04:10:53 PM »
Keep yuh beef with Parry off the field..F**k man!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »
Rafa is beyond a goat.

Since he open he cyat about Ferguson he ent win a game, 4 draws.

He want control of player valuations and he blame Parry for spending 20M on Keane because that only leave them with 14M for barry and Villa wanted more.

But if you look at Rafa transfer history would you trust him to value players.

• Keane was never going to work in this Liverpool system and Rafa show that he can't get the side to play two forwards. He waaay too defensive minded for that.
  • Voronin, waste a money. Last one season
  • Crouch, spend big money then when yuh get Torres yuh realize Crouch can't suit your system.
  • Dossena, if ever there was a goat it is Dossena. Yuh spend 7M on a left back that slow as mud.
  • Pennant, just two years and he playing the same football as he was at Brum. Is not like his fickleness is a surprise.

He get lucky that Kuyt vindicate his move to the wing by working so hard but if you match Kuyt up against a true winger he can't keep up.

Then the selections.

Could somebody tell me why Agger can't even make the squad? yet he have no problem with the player.

He want to ship Alonso and every game the man play he either create or score a goal. To add insult he playing Leiva, a less Brazilian Brazilian I never see. Pure toots.

And every game Torres coming off and Benitez have no plan B. He winning game 1-0 and taking off Torres to bring on a set of defenders and shitsnakes like Ngog.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »
just now wigan will equalise
hahahahahahaha

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2009, 05:44:43 PM »
This Rafa is a goat.

"72' LIVERPOOL SUB: Sometimes I want to do painful, tortuous things to Rafa Benitez, like he does to me. He has taken off Torres - the only striker - and brought on Riera - a winger. Even though Keane and Kuyt are on the bench. AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!"

"84' LIVERPOOL SUB: Benitez finally brings on Keane but OH NO WHAT IS HE DOING!!?? He takes Gerrard off. Gerrard!! The only man who scores late goals for you all the time! Your best player! After taking off your second-best player, the person next most likely to score late goals etc etc. I give up."

Since last year in the CL when I talk about he shady subs alyuh tell me I don't know what ah talking about.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

giggsy11

« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2009, 05:50:22 PM »
This Rafa is a goat.

Since last year in the CL when I talk about he shady subs alyuh tell me I don't know what ah talking about.

Yuh doh know what yuh talkin about ;D

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2009, 05:52:45 PM »
Top of the League and that's a Fact!

Rafa you c**t lol... since you fact fiasco...

Utd 3 pl games..3 wins..9 points...position 1st
Liverpool 3 pl games...0 wins.. 3 points...position 3rd

HE'S CRACKING UP HE'S CRACKING UP
HE'S CRACKING!!
RAFA'S CRACKING UP

1]; } ?>