March 28, 2024, 07:44:28 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 460037 times)

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #540 on: May 03, 2009, 06:29:04 AM »
Bakes yuh talking bout Rafa or what?  :devil:
or just Arbeloa and Riera lol
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 03, 2009, 07:06:42 AM »
Bakes yuh talking bout Rafa or what?  :devil:
or just Arbeloa and Riera lol

Why it have tuh be either or... yuh know I 'ambidexterous' like dat, lol

giggsy11

« Reply #542 on: May 17, 2009, 08:00:16 AM »
Watching West Brom play yuh can see why they deserve tuh go down, talk about lacking heart and conviction-they have it in abundunce! Next! Is one thing tuh lack skill but for God sakes have a little pride in doing yuh damn job! I hope Liverstool pound dem for being so meek and weak-Next! Go back tuh the level yuh deserve to be playing in!

giggsy11

« Reply #543 on: May 17, 2009, 08:18:32 AM »
Carra is the only Liverstool player I would take at United- he would have tuh eat bench doh. I like him as a player and his character. He seems to be able to keep things in perspective.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 18, 2009, 08:33:52 AM »

Hmm....fustrating seasons tend to do that to you.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 18, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
WTA  :o
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 18, 2009, 08:54:51 AM »

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Fackt

Meh money on Jamie.... FACKT... :devil:

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 18, 2009, 11:32:02 AM »

Jamie real dread...no nonsense type of player.......England lose out when he retire due to all the salts he was getting
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 18, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »

Jamie real dread...no nonsense type of player.......England lose out when he retire due to all the salts he was getting

J.C. was one of meh fave England players, England in a mess.... Carrick have as much titles as Lampard and a CL medal like Gerrard, plays for the top team in England, Europe and the World.... but they mid are built around Stevie G and Lamps... is like TnT football... I stop trying to figure it out!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 18, 2009, 03:16:56 PM »

J.C. was one of meh fave England players, England in a mess.... Carrick have as much titles as Lampard and a CL medal like Gerrard, plays for the top team in England, Europe and the World.... but they mid are built around Stevie G and Lamps... is like TnT football... I stop trying to figure it out!

So you really feel Carrick should run England's midfield?  Not as long as Gerrard and Lamps on the field.  He is doing well at the moment, but he is behind two world class midfielders in Gerrard and Lamps.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #551 on: May 19, 2009, 09:50:46 PM »
I wish Stevie G could show some of the passion and intensity that Carragher has.

Xabi did a good job coming between the 2 teamates, which brings to mind the lack of reaction from Gerrard when Mascherano imploded against Man U last year
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #552 on: August 03, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »
Irish minnows await Liverpool

By Stephen Fottrell

Ireland has already hosted one of the unlikeliest pre-season pairings of the summer - Shamrock Rovers and Real Madrid - but that match-up is about to be surpassed in the David versus Goliath stakes.

Tiny Dunmanway Town from the southern Irish county of Cork are preparing to host the might of Liverpool - or at least a Liverpool XI, which they are assured will feature some of the club's big-name stars.

The amateur side, who play in the West Cork Soccer League, landed one of the coups of the summer when they optimistically invited last season's English Premier League runners-up to visit, only for the Reds to accept their offer.

They have since spent the summer readying the town, which has a population of around 2,500, for the arrival of one of the world's most famous club sides on Thursday.

The team has borrowed a local school's Gaelic Games pitch for the day and has drafted in just over 7,000 seats - from the same temporary stands used in Shamrock Rovers' narrow 1-0 defeat by Real Madrid in July.

Our capacity will go from one to 7,000 for this game

Dunmanway Town manager John Buckley
"We normally play in a farmer's field in front of around 20 people," manager John Buckley told BBC Sport.

"Someone might normally bring a deckchair or something to sit on, so our capacity will go from one to 7,000 for this game."

Buckley is a lifelong Liverpool fan himself and says the one-off game has created massive excitement in the area and nationally.

"The town has been painted red to welcome Liverpool and it's just given a huge boost to the area," he said.

"There will be fans coming from all over Ireland, as well as from England and beyond."

Club treasurer Andrew Healy says the local anticipation is akin to Nick Hornby's book Fever Pitch.

The team have recent signing David Hall, a local doctor, to thank for Liverpool's visit as he used a number of football contacts and perseverance to persuade the Reds to take them up on their offer.

Hall has been made captain for the day for his efforts, but it is not the only highlight of his week as his wife is also due to give birth to their first baby on the day of the match.

"I don't think there's any chance of me missing this match," he said.

"But don't be surprised if you see me bolting from the pitch mid-way through."

The hosts have also been given permission by the Football Association of Ireland to draft in five players from teams in the League of Ireland - the country's professional and semi-professional divisions.

As for the team they will face, Liverpool say that it is likely to be made up mainly of reserves, but that there should be some big names travelling.

The Dunmanway manager, unsurprisingly, is hoping to see one name in particular on the opposing team-sheet.

"We're hoping that because Steven Gerrard didn't make the pre-season trip to Asia that he'll need the match practice," Buckley said.

"To see him here would be a dream come true.

"But I'm not bothered - even to be playing the reserves is a massive deal for us."

The tie was briefly threatened by an invasion of local rabbits, who dug holes in the pitch but have since been scared away by the construction of the temporary stands.

Hall - a Manchester United fan - is hoping his own charges will not display any "rabbit in headlights" symptoms and is confident of keeping the scores down for at least the first half.

"I'm a bit worried for my players to be honest, but we should be all right, we'll try and hold them out until half time," he said.

Buckley, meanwhile, is expecting many in the crowd to be cheering for the visitors, but is ready to put aside his Liverpool loyalties for the day and concentrate on his own team's efforts.

"We'll give it a good go and hopefully we'll outshine Shamrock Rovers' efforts against Madrid," he said.
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #553 on: August 05, 2009, 07:54:13 PM »
Xabi Alonso off to Real Madrid for £30million

Xabi Alonso was presented as a Real Madrid player on Wednesday evening after signing a five-year contract at the Bernabeu.

The Basque midfielder joins Madrid from Liverpool for around £30million and was unveiled at the stadium on Wednesday evening.

The 27-year-old Spain international arrived in the capital on Wednesday after a fee was agreed between Liverpool and Real Madrid.

Alonso then underwent various tests and met his new team-mates for training earlier this afternoon.

The midfielder is Madrid's eighth summer signing, taking the Primera Division giants' spending to over £220million in just two months.

Madrid president Florentino Perez has brought in Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, Raul Albiol, Esteban Granero, Arbeloa, Alvaro Negredo and Karim Benzema as he attempts to build a team capable of challenging Barcelona's treble winners.

"It's a very happy day for me,'' said Alonso. "It's an important step in my career to come to a club like Real Madrid.

"I'm very happy to be part of this club and I was very excited for this day to arrive.

"It's the best opportunity for me to develop as a footballer.''

The transfer sees Alonso return to Spain after five years away from his homeland.

And, while he enjoyed his time on Merseyside, the former Real Sociedad player admitted he decided before the end of the season the time was right to move on.

"I am very grateful to Liverpool fans, they were very warm during my five years,'' he continued. "It will be really difficult to match their appreciation.

"I really enjoyed those five years.

"But a few months ago I took that decision as I thought it was the right moment to find a fresh challenge, to look for a new club.

"That's when Real Madrid came along. Luckily a deal has been done and I'm very happy.

"It is a personal challenge I felt is necessary for my football career.

"I felt it was right so I looked for a change, for a new experience, and when Madrid came in, that's when I decided to come back to Spain.''

Thanks for the 5 years Xabi; personally, I'm sad to see you go  :salute:
good luck at Real Madrid  :beermug:
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #554 on: August 05, 2009, 08:01:24 PM »
Reds agree £20m Aquilani transfer

Liverpool have confirmed that they have reached agreement with Roma to sign midfielder Alberto Aquilani for a fee believed to be £20million.

The signing comes just hours after Xabi Alonso passed his medical at Real Madrid and completed a £30million move to the Bernabeu after five years at Anfield.

It has become clear that the two deals were being negotiated in tandem. Once Liverpool had completed the Alonso transfer, and received the first cash instalment, they were been able to complete the deal for a player to replace the Spaniard in boss Rafael Benitez's squad.

Benitez told the club's website: "Alberto is a very good player and I'm delighted we've reached agreement with Roma for his transfer. He will travel to Merseyside later this week for a medical. Alberto has a winning mentality and great experience in both Serie A and the Champions League.

"He has long been recognised as a top class talent in Italy, captaining his country at both Under 19 and Under 21 levels before establishing himself in the senior national side."

Read he's injury prone, hopefully he can stand up to the rigors of the English game; but lets see if he can pass his medical first  :-\
the man I would've like to get hold of woulda been Micheal Johnson from Man City
Christian Poulsen is more likelier possibility accroding to rumours
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #555 on: August 07, 2009, 07:47:31 PM »
Aquilani joins Liverpool....but out for 8 weeks

Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani has passed a medical and agreed a five-year contract with Liverpool.

Reds boss Rafael Benitez identified Italy international Aquilani as his preferred replacement for Xabi Alonso, who joined Real Madrid for around £30million earlier this week.

Liverpool had a bid of around £20million for Aquilani accepted by Roma on Wednesday before the player headed to Merseyside for a medical and contract talks.

The now former Roma man is expected to be at Anfield on Saturday to witness his new team-mates take on Atletico Madrid in the club's final pre-season friendly before next weekend's big kick-off.

Aquilani dispelled fears over the ankle injury that needed surgery this summer and restricted his appearances for the Serie A club last season.

But he will not be fit to face Tottenham next Sunday in the Premier League season opener at White Hart Lane.

Announcing the deal on the club website, a Liverpool statement read: "Liverpool FC confirmed this evening that Alberto Aquilani has successfully completed a medical and agreed a 5-year contract with the club.

"The player will now continue his rehabilitation from an ankle operation under the guidance of Liverpool's medical team and is expected to be fully fit in approximately 4-8 weeks time."

Aquilani is believed to be earning around £80,000 a week.

we might have to endure 8 weeks of Lucas..geez
so much for a flying start to the season
boy yuh better prove we wrong yes
Feliz

Offline ZionYouth

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 07, 2009, 09:39:10 PM »
Damm...good luck Alonso :beermug:

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #557 on: August 14, 2009, 07:18:48 PM »
Liverpool 2009/10 Season preview

Last season it was a case of the ultimate prize remaining tantalisingly close but ultimately so far away for Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez and his squad as the Premier League title once again proved out of reach.

The top flight's Big Four - Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool - are often criticised by outsiders for lacking dignity and taking winning for granted. There is undoubtedly a case for the prosecution but, as the only member of the quartet not to land a Premier League title, the latter have experienced league suffering and 2008/09 was arguably the most painful.

It has now been two decades since the trophy for England's top division was paraded at Anfield, however, for many months in the last campaign it appeared that drought was about to be hosed down. Manchester United, though, turned off the tap as Liverpool, thanks largely and notoriously to 11 draws, choked and their bitter North West rivals grabbed the silverware by four points.

The men from Merseyside had led United by 10 points last December, having played three games more, but they surrendered that advantage around the time when Benitez, who missed part of the season following operations on kidney stones, launched a much-publicised and bizarre verbal attack on Old Trafford boss Sir Alex 'the master of mind games' Ferguson, while persistent and niggling injuries to captain Steven Gerrard and star striker Fernando Torres further damaged the cause.

There was a resurgence after United were memorably dismantled 4-1 in their own backyard in March, but that necessary zip in cutting edge, especially at Anfield, and an exceptionally strong finish to the season came too late as a thrilling 4-4 draw with Arsenal proved wounding.

Despite the disappointment of missing out on the title, the start of this summer sparked, 'maybe this season is the season' whispers for Liverpool as Cristiano Ronaldo moved from United to Real Madrid in a world-record deal, while on-loan striker Carlos Tevez snubbed Ferguson to eventually join Manchester City.

Comedown
But again there has been a comedown for those in Scouse red. A disappointing pre-season has included a distracting court appearance for skipper Gerrard and that has been followed by the sales of Spain duo Alvaro Arbeloa and Xabi Alonso to the 'Galacticos' of Real.

Kop idol Alonso's £30million exit is the greatest blow to Benitez as the influential midfielder - who, despite claims to the contrary, appears to have been forced out by a breakdown in his relationship with his manager that stemmed from Liverpool's apparent willingness to sell in 2008's unsuccessful pursuit of Gareth Barry - had just produced his best season in five years since joining from Real Sociedad.

Speak to any Liverpool supporter and they will feel a little sorry for Arbeloa as his future was decided by the arrival of Glen Johnson. Barring a bust-up with team-mate Jamie Carragher at West Brom in May, the full-back had enjoyed a positive season and would probably have been prepared to extend the remaining 12 months on his contract.

Johnson, though, is a different breed. Arbeloa had his merits defensively, but England's right-back brings alternative qualities. The £18m paid to Portsmouth has been spent with a view to versatility, capturing a British player - crucial for balancing the books in the UEFA Champions League - who can also operate in midfield and has an eye for a spectacular goal. Defending was not a problem for Liverpool in 2008/09, breaking down stubborn opponents was.

An Alonso replacement has been secured in the shape of Alberto Aquilani, with a £20m fee being paid to Roma. The Italy international possesses similar, but more attacking, talents to Alonso. There will, though, be concerns that it will take the 25-year-old time to settle while he also has a reputation in his homeland for being susceptible to injury. He may not be available for up to eight weeks as he recovers from an ankle surgery. Left-back Fabio Aurelio is also out injured.

If Alonso had stayed, Liverpool would have had a settled backbone to their side, as it appears Barcelona-target Javier Mascherano is prepared to put up with reported homesickness for one more season at least. The problem for Benitez is that Aquilani may need time to adapt to the hectic conditions in England.

One to watch
Alonso struggled to acclimatise when he first arrived in 2004/05 as the Reds were wretched in a disappointing league season, with the less physical Champions League being the competition where success was gloriously achieved. Aquilani may require a similar domestic bedding-in period, which could see the opportunity to take advantage of a possible transition period for United go begging.

Elsewhere, Aaron King has been brought in from Rushden & Diamonds for a nominal amount and Chris Mavinga has arrived from Paris St Germain for an undisclosed fee as Benitez - who still has £10m burning a hole in his back pocket from the sale of Alonso, a part of which could be used on Hull City's Michael Turner - looks to the future. Astrit Ajdarevic, Paul Anderson, Godwin Antwi, Jack Hobbs, Sebastien Leto, Shane O'Connor, Jermaine Pennant and, sadly after a glittering career in England, Sami Hyypia have moved on.

An intriguing player to keep an eye on will be Andriy Voronin. The Ukraine international was a major disappointment when he first arrived and was promptly sent out on loan to Hertha Berlin to regain confidence. The 30-year-old was a revelation in Germany, scoring 11 goals, and if he can find his form in the Premier League he could provide much-needed backup to Torres. Youngsters Dani Pacheco, Krisztian Nemeth and Jay Spearing will also be ones to watch.

A bonus for Liverpool is that the fixture list has been relatively kind. A first game at Tottenham will be a challenge, but not an insurmountable one, while Aston Villa at Anfield in late August will also cause sweat before three points. But then it is only a trip to Chelsea in early October that looks testing in the opening nine games. A flying start should create confidence and a platform as Benitez's troops bid to avoid a repeat of the sticky mid-campaigns that have undermined previous efforts.

With United in transition, Chelsea starting the Carlo Ancelotti era, Arsenal in confusion and Manchester City emerging, this looks set to be one of the most intriguing and evenly contested seasons to date. Liverpool will know that the title is up for grabs and that they might not get a better chance. If they take advantage, the wait could be over.
Feliz

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #558 on: August 14, 2009, 07:21:55 PM »
Liverpool at a Glance

Star Man: Steven Gerrard
Who else? The Liverpool captain is the heartbeat of the team and his attacking partnership with Fernando Torres is the best in Europe. Gerrard, though, is the influence. He affects team-mates, the opposition and fans - a force of nature.

One to Watch: Andriy Voronin
This selection is a bit of a gamble. But the Ukraine striker could prove vital if he can leave his previous struggles in the past. Voronin has attributes to be a success in the Premier League and may provide much-needed back-up to Torres.

Fantasy Football Pick: Jose Reina.

Manager: Rafa Benitez
Inspiring and confusing at the same time. The Spaniard is 100 per cent focused and possesses the stubborn nature that all great bosses require. If Benitez can learn from the mistakes of last season, this year could be the year.

INS: Alberto Aquilani (Roma), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Aaron King (Rushden & Diamonds), Chris Mavinga (PSG).

OUTS: Astrit Ajdarevic (Leicester), Xabi Alonso (Real Madrid) Paul Anderson (N Forest), Godwin Antwi (Released), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Jack Hobbs (Leicester), Sami Hyypia (Bayer Leverkusen), Sebastian Leto (Panathinaikos), Shane O'Connor (Ipswich), Jermaine Pennant (Real Zaragoza).

Best Signing: Glen Johnson

Sky Bet Odds: 7/2

Likely Top Scorer: Fernando Torres

Possible Best XI: Reina, Johnson, Carragher, Skrtel, Aurelio, Kuyt, Mascherano, Aquilani, Riera, Gerrard, Torres.

Predicted Finish: 1st
Feliz

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: August 16, 2009, 10:04:13 AM »
So far Liverpool not looking the part at all...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 16, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
I think Defoe was in an offside position and he blocked Reina's view of the ball.
Should that have been an offside call?
I need to see another replay.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 16, 2009, 10:24:40 AM »
Silly foul by Gomes...see keepers foul in those situations and I could never understand why- G.Johnson had no where to go...

Anyways 1-1, and this will be the test of how resilient Spurs are...usually the bigger teams find a way to eke out a win in these kinda situations....

As I was typing this, Tottenham regains the lead lol...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 16, 2009, 10:24:47 AM »
I think Defoe was in an offside position and he blocked Reina's view of the ball.
Should that have been an offside call?
I need to see another replay.

It would have been close if anything... but if Defoe didn't have much to do with it I'm not sure it would count as offside.  I didn't really think he was a factor personally, there was so much traffic in front of Reina (who's been stellar in the pre-season and today.

Meanwhile... winning the penalty aside, just based on pre-season form I thought Glenn Johnson was going to have a great impact for us this season.  Thus far he's paying dividends.  Just call on the penalty against Gomez, harsh yellow though.

Now we can't get our set piece defense right...  2-1 Spurs in the 60'.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 16, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »
Unbelievable that Carragher is booked for his foul on Defoe... and Corluca isn't for his more obviously cynical foul on Babel.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 16, 2009, 10:33:06 AM »
Unbelievable that Carragher is booked for his foul on Defoe... and Corluca isn't for his more obviously cynical foul on Babel.

I was thinking the same thing...

Your boys have not found a fluid rhythm- look like they're missing Alonso in the center of the field to settle the pace of their game. 

Also think they should have started Benayoun instead of Babel...Babel is a far superior athlete but Benayoun is a smarter more capable player who gets himself in more dangerous attacking positions and has a knack for making things happen...

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #565 on: August 16, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
shoulda never started with Babel..steups
definitely missing Xabi..nobody to conduct the game at we pace
Feliz

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 16, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »

I was thinking the same thing...

Your boys have not found a fluid rhythm- look like they're missing Alonso in the center of the field to settle the pace of their game. 

Also think they should have started Benayoun instead of Babel...Babel is a far superior athlete but Benayoun is a smarter more capable player who gets himself in more dangerous attacking positions and has a knack for making things happen...

Phil Dowd is having a very sketchy game if you ask me... absolutely no consistency whatsoever to his calls... baffling.  Definitely not going to blame him for the result thus far though, we sleepwalked thru the preseason and it shows.  Voronin is on for Kuyt which is baffling (but what else is new for Rafa?) and he's had a great preseason, so let's see if it carries over into his first game.

Babel and Voronin showed great synchronicity this past preseason so not sure if that would prove to be a prelude of things to come.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 16, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
Okay. 

I'm done.

Unbelievable.

I'm done.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 16, 2009, 10:51:25 AM »
Very dodgy no call on Voronin.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 16, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »
I was shocked (and relieved) the ref didn't call it but I'm damn happy for the win....first one on opening day in a long time :D 

1]; } ?>