March 28, 2024, 06:18:54 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 460017 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #630 on: September 26, 2009, 08:30:05 AM »
Torres: faster to 50 goals than Dalgish, Rush, Owen, Fowler.  Not too bad a bunch to be ahead of.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 26, 2009, 08:31:43 AM »
Germany 1- USA 0. Penalty

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 26, 2009, 08:33:45 AM »
Germany 2 USA 0

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 26, 2009, 08:41:58 AM »
Deeks..yuh trying to hijack this thread?  This is for Liverpool... ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 26, 2009, 09:03:05 AM »
Me!! Hijack! I am not a terrorist. I am an informer. 1/2 time Ger. 2 US 0!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 26, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »
Torres!!!. Superb!! I wonder if Torres grandfather from up Maracas-St. Jose. TT could try something!!!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 26, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »
Pure class and composure.  The defence is a bit worrying, but they scoring at will.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 26, 2009, 09:45:42 AM »
Ger 3 - USA 0

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 26, 2009, 10:12:17 AM »
Torres again..best striker in the world.

Not sure about that... but he's in terrific form (two weeks after I dropped him from my fantasy side :-( ).

I was thinking this after his second goal... is he the best in the EPL?  In all objectivity I think something would have to be said about Drogba... as much as I can't stand him.  What I would say is that there isn't another EPL striker with his combination of speed, touch, close-control and finishing.  Even individually I don't think there's another striker in England with his close-control... his ability to dribble while tightly marked is incredible.  I also think that he's right up there in each of the other individual categories above as well.... and his strength is severely underrated.  He holds up the ball very well and usually to create chances for himself.

Another area in which he's unparalleled as a striker is in his willingness and abilty to hustle and help out on defense... I think only Rooney comes close for my money.

Great, great player.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 26, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
I hate Liverpool but class is class and Torres is that..  hands down the best striker in the world...followed by Eto'o and Rooney who are both looking good this season

f**k man Fergie!!! should have signed him when we had the chance lol

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 26, 2009, 12:06:33 PM »
Torres again..best striker in the world.

Not sure about that... but he's in terrific form (two weeks after I dropped him from my fantasy side :-( ).

I was thinking this after his second goal... is he the best in the EPL?  In all objectivity I think something would have to be said about Drogba... as much as I can't stand him.  What I would say is that there isn't another EPL striker with his combination of speed, touch, close-control and finishing.  Even individually I don't think there's another striker in England with his close-control... his ability to dribble while tightly marked is incredible.  I also think that he's right up there in each of the other individual categories above as well.... and his strength is severely underrated.  He holds up the ball very well and usually to create chances for himself.

Another area in which he's unparalleled as a striker is in his willingness and abilty to hustle and help out on defense... I think only Rooney comes close for my money.

Great, great player.

Yep...Jury is split as to who is better between Drogba and Torres.  I'd say Torres, but then again, there comes a heavy degree of bias to that.  I just put him in my Soccernet fantasy team last night.  I expect to make big moves after this weekend.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 26, 2009, 01:26:47 PM »
Yep...Jury is split as to who is better between Drogba and Torres.  I'd say Torres, but then again, there comes a heavy degree of bias to that.  I just put him in my Soccernet fantasy team last night.  I expect to make big moves after this weekend.

To me what separates him from Drogba, Eto'o and Rooney is that the latter two are primarily poachers... probably more so Rooney than Eto'o.  Eto'o and certainly Drogba rely on service from others to get their goals... and Drogba is kinda one-dimensional in his role as target man.

Torres does it all... he's certainly better than any of those three in the air.  He can hold up the ball not only to set up opportunities for others... but to score for himself as I mentioned earlier.  His touch is phenomenal... in fact he had one bad touch today (and an errant cross) and the commentators had a good laugh, they were like 'write it down... Torres is human', lol.

I just hope the officials start protecting him a bit more though because he takes too much of a beating for anyone, but certainly for a player of his class.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 26, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »

To me what separates him from Drogba, Eto'o and Rooney is that the latter two are primarily poachers... probably more so Rooney than Eto'o.  Eto'o and certainly Drogba rely on service from others to get their goals... and Drogba is kinda one-dimensional in his role as target man.

Torres does it all... he's certainly better than any of those three in the air.  He can hold up the ball not only to set up opportunities for others... but to score for himself as I mentioned earlier.  His touch is phenomenal... in fact he had one bad touch today (and an errant cross) and the commentators had a good laugh, they were like 'write it down... Torres is human', lol.

I just hope the officials start protecting him a bit more though because he takes too much of a beating for anyone, but certainly for a player of his class.

Totally agree...  :beermug:

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 10, 2009, 06:39:37 AM »
Can you name Liverpool's top Premier League scorers?
http://www.sporcle.com/games/ChanandlerBong/liverpool_scorers

This was a LOT harder than I thought it would be...I missed 8 of them  >:(  :beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 10, 2009, 08:35:46 AM »
I remeber watching him in training as a youth with his club, already on the senior team and getting the feeling that he was just going through the motions. Then observed him in two home games at The Vicente Calderon stadium. Again he looked not interested, but showed flashes of pure genius and quality finishing. My friend said to me that sadly he believed it would be best for him to leave At Madrid for people to see the best of him.
He was right! Arguably the best pure striker in the Premier.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: October 10, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
I remeber watching him in training as a youth with his club, already on the senior team and getting the feeling that he was just going through the motions. Then observed him in two home games at The Vicente Calderon stadium. Again he looked not interested, but showed flashes of pure genius and quality finishing. My friend said to me that sadly he believed it would be best for him to leave At Madrid for people to see the best of him.
He was right! Arguably the best pure striker in the Premier.

For me his ability to head the ball is the most surprising (and least appreciated part of his game).  I just like his close-control of the ball... it's something special to watch a player dribble in a box with men all around him, and then still be able to create chances for himself or teammates.

-------------

Boss you do good... I could only name 6.  That list deceptive though... is only players who played in the Prem.  Men like Dalglish not on that list.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: October 10, 2009, 01:00:25 PM »

You serious about? Drogba is the complete striker and the game last weekend where Torres could not figure it out and Drogba did showed the difference in the quality of the two players. Drogba control is second to none. He can run at you, through you, around you, great in the air, score free kicks, defend, and cuss you out in the same game.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: October 10, 2009, 04:10:19 PM »
You serious about? Drogba is the complete striker and the game last weekend where Torres could not figure it out and Drogba did showed the difference in the quality of the two players. Drogba control is second to none. He can run at you, through you, around you, great in the air, score free kicks, defend, and cuss you out in the same game.

Last weekend's game doesn't say anything about their individual abilities... Ivanovic and Carvalho did a good job of handcuffing him while Carragher was deficient on both goals, a) by letting Anelka get in behind him (Lucas didn't help him out either)onn the first goal;  b) by getting undressed on the endline by Drogba on the second.  How does that prove anything about their relative abilities?

Drogba has 61 EPL goals in 142 appearances in over 5 yrs in the EPL.  Torres will most likely pass that total by the end of this his third season... already having 46 goals in 61 appearances, including a hattrick.  What should I conclude from that one game with the hattrick that because he had one and Drogba ent have on this year that Torres better?  I doh even see how you supposed to be teaching de game and that is the type of analysis you doing.  Drogba scoring rate is .42 (a goal every 2.3 matches); Torres' rate is .71 (a goal every 1.4 matches).

Drogba can't dribble at a defender the way Torres can, certainly not in traffic.  His strength is literally his strength so he'll more overpower a defender, or kick it past the defender and chase it down.  Torres always has the ball on his feet.  He'll also drop deep in midfield and pick up the ball himself... when last has Drogba done that?

And did I add that he's doing all that, almost eclipsing Drogba's total and he's six years younger?

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: October 10, 2009, 05:26:08 PM »

Last weekend's game doesn't say anything about their individual abilities... Ivanovic and Carvalho did a good job of handcuffing him while Carragher was deficient on both goals, a) by letting Anelka get in behind him (Lucas didn't help him out either)onn the first goal;  b) by getting undressed on the endline by Drogba on the second.  How does that prove anything about their relative abilities?

Drogba has 61 EPL goals in 142 appearances in over 5 yrs in the EPL.  Torres will most likely pass that total by the end of this his third season... already having 46 goals in 61 appearances, including a hattrick.  What should I conclude from that one game with the hattrick that because he had one and Drogba ent have on this year that Torres better?  I doh even see how you supposed to be teaching de game and that is the type of analysis you doing.  Drogba scoring rate is .42 (a goal every 2.3 matches); Torres' rate is .71 (a goal every 1.4 matches).

Drogba can't dribble at a defender the way Torres can, certainly not in traffic.  His strength is literally his strength so he'll more overpower a defender, or kick it past the defender and chase it down.  Torres always has the ball on his feet.  He'll also drop deep in midfield and pick up the ball himself... when last has Drogba done that?

And did I add that he's doing all that, almost eclipsing Drogba's total and he's six years younger?

Thank you for proving what I said. He got handcuffed by great defending, but Carragher was defficient? That rational is laughable. Drogba imposed himself on the Liverpool defense, totally dominating them this is what big strikers do. Yet you take that away from him. Torres whimp out. You are being very biased here. All your analysis is well and good, but at the end Drogba got it done and Torres could not. If you cannot use this to compare them, then what will you use.Big players play in big game. The weekend before Torres destroyed, yet when a big team rolls around what?

This is why I could teach the game and you only have armchair understanding. Stats are all well and good, that is not very relevant in a discussion on technical and tactical ability. You need to understand how this thing work and not flatter yourself thinking you can roll stats out and somehow this translate to being able to analyse player performance.

You not being fair about you comparison. I putting Drogba to run at any defender in and out of traffic, apparently you have not seen him shred defenses. I wonder why? Defender have to respect him, they back off cause they know what's about to happen and then they still get punished. He is almost impossible to defend.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: October 10, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »
Thank you for proving what I said. He got handcuffed by great defending, but Carragher was defficient? That rational is laughable. Drogba imposed himself on the Liverpool defense, totally dominating them this is what big strikers do. Yet you take that away from him. Torres whimp out. You are being very biased here. All your analysis is well and good, but at the end Drogba got it done and Torres could not. If you cannot use this to compare them, then what will you use.Big players play in big game. The weekend before Torres destroyed, yet when a big team rolls around what?

This is why I could teach the game and you only have armchair understanding. Stats are all well and good, that is not very relevant in a discussion on technical and tactical ability. You need to understand how this thing work and not flatter yourself thinking you can roll stats out and somehow this translate to being able to analyse player performance.

You not being fair about you comparison. I putting Drogba to run at any defender in and out of traffic, apparently you have not seen him shred defenses. I wonder why? Defender have to respect him, they back off cause they know what's about to happen and then they still get punished. He is almost impossible to defend.
I done see you ketching feelings arready, lol.

Stats not important to determining who better? LOL okay boss.  But since yuh apparently missed it, the entire discussion up until I buss out the stats was on "technical and tactical ability", stats was just to emphasize  the pace Torres on.  At the end of the day what you judge strikers by is their ability to put the ball in the back of the net... yuh doh have to be too bright to understand that.  In that department Torres has it over Drogba, not even close.

My 'rational' about Carragher laughable you say?  Anybody watching Liverpool this season could tell you how poor Carra's been... it's no secret and is not just men with 'armchair understanding' like me saying dat... but if you think different whey ah go say, I need tuh step mih game up and find ah girls team to coach so ah could develop some ah dat unnerstandin' yuh have... you big teacher you.
Every one ah dem point you make there I could refute, but

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 11, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »

I done see you ketching feelings arready, lol.

Stats not important to determining who better? LOL okay boss.  But since yuh apparently missed it, the entire discussion up until I buss out the stats was on "technical and tactical ability", stats was just to emphasize  the pace Torres on.  At the end of the day what you judge strikers by is their ability to put the ball in the back of the net... yuh doh have to be too bright to understand that.  In that department Torres has it over Drogba, not even close.

My 'rational' about Carragher laughable you say?  Anybody watching Liverpool this season could tell you how poor Carra's been... it's no secret and is not just men with 'armchair understanding' like me saying dat... but if you think different whey ah go say, I need tuh step mih game up and find ah girls team to coach so ah could develop some ah dat unnerstandin' yuh have... you big teacher you.
Every one ah dem point you make there I could refute, but

Are discussing success or ability?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 23, 2009, 08:45:46 AM »
Take heart Reds fans... it could be worse, it could have been a ball of paper instead of a beach ball...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/kNcIOzRpZvk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/kNcIOzRpZvk</a>

.... we righting de ship dis weekend  :beermug:

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: October 23, 2009, 08:55:18 AM »
i really hoping aquilani bring something oui...
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 23, 2009, 09:09:50 AM »

Read good reports about his mid-week turn out with the reserves, so here's hoping he's match fit soon.  We need help on the backline like crazy... still have faith in Johnson and Skrtel, but Carra and Insua need to be on a shorter leash.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 23, 2009, 09:56:58 AM »
Torres back yet?

Offline Kayus

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 23, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »
I dunno if this was article/news was posted yet. but after reading it i lookin forward to this game even more. lol

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=688035&cc=5901

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 23, 2009, 05:07:08 PM »

Read good reports about his mid-week turn out with the reserves, so here's hoping he's match fit soon.  We need help on the backline like crazy... still have faith in Johnson and Skrtel, but Carra and Insua need to be on a shorter leash.

Agger for Carra... Insua is OK...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Carling Cup Liverpool vs Arsenal
« Reply #657 on: October 28, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »
Nice game , both teams playing some sweet ball. 2-1 Arsenal in the 56'

Bendtner scored but struggling to play with his team mates who in sync.

Nasri back and lookig as usual

Arsenal have more English players on the field than Liverpool who have none.

Liverpool have just as many French players on the field  ;D

Liverpool Argentine player scored an amazing goal.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carling Cup Liverpool vs Arsenal
« Reply #658 on: October 28, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
Ah Sanderos on the field, ah though Arsenal had shipped him out of England.
Yeah to me Bentner never seem to be in sync with his team mates.
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
Re: Carling Cup Liverpool vs Arsenal
« Reply #659 on: October 28, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »
That was a boss game  ;D  :beermug:

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

1]; } ?>