March 28, 2024, 05:04:42 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 460004 times)

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #1170 on: February 02, 2011, 09:34:54 PM »
Na boi. Remember Agger was startin on d but he had the concussion and they wanted to take time with him. Cuz he was startin on d left before dah Konshitky went on d left.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 02, 2011, 09:46:12 PM »
Na boi. Remember Agger was startin on d but he had the concussion and they wanted to take time with him. Cuz he was startin on d left before dah Konshitky went on d left.

Agger was healed and wasting away on the bench long after he recovered from the concussion, and for a spell after the calf injury.  You think is coincidence he suddenly get "healthy" as Kenny come in... and Konchesky gone to Forrest?

------------------------------------

Already the madness has started...

Suarez, in fact, did quite a few things that Fernando Torres hadn't done at Anfield for quite some time. He worked tirelessly, tracking back almost as Wayne Rooney does. He played with width, refusing to wait for others to send him through balls, but instead creating for himself and others from the flanks. He was dynamic, hard-working, and positive -- both in approach and demeanor.

Torres' absence in and of itself, though, seemed to transform many of his former teammates for the better. Without Torres, Kuyt played with a well-defined role for the first time in forever, a situation that couldn't have suited him more. The squad gave up on longballing -- there was no surly forward waiting to be beaten in the air for them up the pitch. Instead, each midfielder looked far more creative and positive than most of their performances earlier this season had shown. In more ways than one, they looked like they were having fun.

I don't know that we are better off w/o Torres... but I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded.  Enough of the hit and hope long ball and enough of the sulking, spoil brat behavior... waiting like Stern John for perfect pass to be served up on a platter and refusing to give effort on the occasional errant pass.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:54:14 PM by Bakes »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 03, 2011, 03:38:55 AM »
Can't tell me nothing about Dirk facking Kuyt...  :notworthy:

Great game by him... Meireles was a boss again.. Suarez showed some nice touches mixed in with some poor ones, he got lucky on the goal b/c he flubbed a clear chance.  Taking nothing away from him though, great inspired first game for him.

Defense looks solid... granted Stoke only had Carew in the opposite half, but Kelly, Agger (Hodgson was a madman to be benching him), Skrtel and Johnson are starting to play well together... not sure who Carra supposed to start ahead of.  Even if we end up not making a note at the end of the season, the confidence is creeping back into Anfield in almost 3 seasons.

Love Carra, but he is no longer an automatic starter at center hallf, and there is no room to accommodate him as a wing back, because he is found wanting for pace. 

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 03, 2011, 05:11:06 AM »
Looking over some of d goals this Carroll fella score and for ah 22 year old....actually 35 mill might actually be a deal....

Reasons why I taking back my blast against him....
-he have ah deadly left foot
-he is ah good header of the ball
-good positioning

In 5 years time we could see him for 15 mill at least...if he live up to expectations...
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 03, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »
Love Carra, but he is no longer an automatic starter at center hallf, and there is no room to accommodate him as a wing back, because he is found wanting for pace. 

Agreed... Carra has become limited physically, but he still reads the game extremely well and his positioning is seldom in question.  I like the idea of a back five (or 3-2) of Skrtel, Agger and Aurelio... with Kelly and Johnson having the freedom up the wings that Kenny intended them to have yesterday, we still didn't take advantage of that enough... Agger came forward more than Kelly did.  Lucas, Gerrad and Merieles are solid in the middle and will be going forward... they should complement a striking tandem of Carroll and Suarez. 

At pain of sounding fanatical, there simply has to be room for Kuyt on the field though, he played very well at striker yesterday, harkening back to his days at Utrecht and Feyenoord.  I think he'll pair well with Suarez over the course of the next few weeks... but where do you play him once Carroll is fit?  Maybe drop him back to the middle and keep a backline of Johnson, Agger, Skrtel and Kelly?

------------------------------------------

rotato... Andy Carroll is a quality player.  He may not be ideal for the continental game, but for the EPL he's a very good player as the game fits his strengths.  I'm not sure about the price tag... but Newcastle has been resurgent this season largely as a result of his exploits.  Having him on my fantasy team this season means that I've had the chance to follow him each and every game.  He's very much involved when fit and Liverpool's a better team than Newcastle, so hopefully that results in better opportunities as well.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:13:14 AM by Bakes »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Hoddle's vision offers second chance
« Reply #1175 on: February 04, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
Hoddle's vision offers second chance

By Olly Foster
In Jerez, Spain

BBC SPORT

Former England boss Hoddle watches his academy players

Fernando Torres sold for £50m, Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez bought for close to £60m; what business there was at Anfield on the last day of the transfer window - but spare a thought for Alex Whittle.

He was only six years old when he joined the Liverpool Academy and after 11 years, the club has decided that he is not going to make it at the highest level and let him go.

I met him this week at the Glenn Hoddle Academy (GHA), outside Jerez in southern Spain. He is the newest recruit at the former England manager's bootcamp for the game's 'rejects'.

"It looks really good. A really good complex," Whittle tells me over breakfast, wearing the same clothes he arrived in late the night before.

His luggage went missing but he still has his boots, which he says are the most important thing.

"I like to get on the ball and make things happen. I always wanted to be like Steven Gerrard. The last session at Liverpool was a bit emotional. My mum was a bit upset but it is about what's best for me. I'm a bit nervous but quite excited to see how it goes and see how I play.''

At 17, he is the youngest player at the GHA but looks so much younger. He epitomises the type of player that Hoddle and his network of coaches and scouts is looking for, late developers. But backing their own judgment over that of the clubs is a big gamble and expensive.

With about 25 players staying at the Montecastillo Golf and Sports resort, the GHA's headquarters, it costs over £1m a year to run.

Hoddle divides his time between the academy and media commitments in the UK, the day-to-day running of the operation left to Dave Beasant and Graham Rix. But there has been one major new development since the academy started three years ago.

Academy hopeful Alex Whittle

Jerez Industrial is the city's oldest football club and was going out of business with some serious tax issues until the investors behind the GHA bailed it out to the tune of £160,000, not all the club's debt, but enough for it to survive. For now.

So what do the GHA get in return? Competitive football. They provide the players free of charge so the club can fulfil its fixtures in the fourth tier of Spanish football.

There are 18 regional divisions at this level, involving more than 350 clubs, so if the GHA team get promoted through an incredibly complicated play-off system, there are still another 100 clubs between them and Barcelona.

Match day at the appropriately named Estadio La Juventud (Stadium of Youth) is quite a change of culture, both for the players and the 200-odd supporters, who spread themselves out in the 8,000 seats for last weekend's defeat against Cadiz. Every player was from the UK or Ireland. The nickname Los Ingleses came quickly and easily.

"It's a first isn't it? It's nice and refreshing to see, as all the foreigners are coming to our country blocking off our English lads. We're doing this abroad!'' Hoddle joked, as we watched the match from one of the stands.

"Part of their development is to play competitively. Although there's only a small crowd here it's one step up from training, it's real football,'' Hoddle told me.

Whittle and some of the other academy members looked decidedly unimpressed as they watched from the stands. When their player registrations come through from the Spanish league, they will be in the squad for the next match.

Jerez Industrial president Juan Manuel Delgado has embraced this invasion.

"I think it's a good co-operation between the club and the academy," he said.

"They give us the players and we give them the club. There is a chance for the future stars of the Premier League in England, to play at this club. I hope all the players become stars one day in the Premier League.''

The fans, some of whom paid 10 Euros to watch the 2-0 defeat, are not happy at the moment, but it is hard to gauge whether that is because the GHA has hijacked the club for its own ends or the fact that they have lost four in a row and have slipped off the top of the league.

On balance it is probably the latter but the conflict is obvious. They want the club to do well, Hoddle wants the players to succeed and the club's own ambitions are secondary to that.

"They were going out of existence, so we've helped them. What we've got to do now is see if we can play well and do things,'' he told me in between barking the odd instruction at his players on the pitch or phoning Rix in the dugout with a bit of tactical advice.

"We've got to try and do both, help the club go up. I think if they go up it'll be a technically better league anyway which would help out!''

Scratch beneath the benevolent skin of the GHA there is a business that isn't even close to breaking even. Hoddle is very honest about that, but finances are not the root of his frustration at the moment.

"I get a little bit saddened really, I don't think we get any support from people back in England at all, I think, if anything, they're trying to block us. They are suspicious of what we're doing.

The Stadium of Youth near Jerez

"People are questioning what we are doing. We haven't had that much help from certain institutes.''

The reference to 'institutes' is a broad swipe at the Football Association, the Professional Footballers' Association and certain clubs in the British game.

"It just baffles me that people think we are making millions of pounds. We're making a massive loss at the moment. I've never found anyone embracing what we are doing and trying to help us, but I'm a stubborn guy and we'll keep foraging forward.

"We are all about these lads' futures; their careers. I think there is a group here that can go a long way in football. I can understand that there are people out there who take advantage of young men and think of a pound note first but that's not we're about.

"It's helping the boys out, the ex-professionals who have been turfed out of the game, who we are taking in and developing and trying to get them back into football. There are people questioning it and they shouldn't. It's a part of their development. This is pure."

Hoddle says the investors behind the GHA are 'in it for the long term' but some return would keep them happy, which is why the past few weeks have been frantic. He spent most of transfer deadline day in a small room sitting next to a fax machine with his mobile phone hardly leaving his ear.

We're going to Slovakia next week to see if we can link the academy up with their FA. I wish our FA would think like that

Glenn Hoddle

By the end of the day, three Academy players were back in the English game; Ryan Burge to Championship side Doncaster, Ben Williamson at League One Bournemouth and Dan Spence has joined Blue Square Premier club Mansfield.

Small deals but a very big deal for Hoddle, proof that the system is beginning to work.

His passion for the project is still there but it's still peculiar to see Hoddle in this environment, a man who has played and managed at the very highest level. He says he has lost count of the number of job offers he has received and turned down since he started the academy.

"I'm happy with what I'm doing at the moment but if I get that feeling that I want to get back to that atmosphere on the bench then hopefully there'll be somebody out there who still wants my skills.

"In the future I think I could do an international job. We're going to Slovakia next week to see if we can link the academy up with their FA. I wish our FA would think like that.''

And what about 'our' FA, his former employers who have said they'd prefer an English coach to succeed Fabio Capello.

"In football you never say never,'' Hoddle smiles. "I'll send my CV off but I think it may be returned to sender somehow.''

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Hoddle's vision offers second chance
« Reply #1176 on: February 04, 2011, 01:23:22 PM »
This is something...istead of going to "unnattached FC" you going to a small club in another country.

You training and getting matches.

Hoddle selling yuh and making paper on your head, but yuh get another shot at yuh profession.

I think is a real good smart man idea.  :devil:

The only thing is if the reject is a proper donkey...but yuh have to be at a certain level to be in a academy in the first place.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hoddle's vision offers second chance
« Reply #1177 on: February 05, 2011, 10:02:41 AM »
This is something...istead of going to "unnattached FC" you going to a small club in another country.

You training and getting matches.

Hoddle selling yuh and making paper on your head, but yuh get another shot at yuh profession.

I think is a real good smart man idea.  :devil:

The only thing is if the reject is a proper donkey...but yuh have to be at a certain level to be in a academy in the first place.

So who yuh sending?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 05, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »
MP Red-The Official Podcast of the LFC NY Club

Not sure how many of allyuh fellas turned onto this yet, but the latest was recorded mid-week following the Stokes game.  Great discussion on some of the early struggles under Roy (this is the first podcast since November), the flurry of activity in and around the transfer window... and I think a fair treatment of Torres' departure (and of the man himself), and the immediate future of the team.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 06, 2011, 10:36:19 AM »
Maxi Padriguez once again showing what a waste he is... wide open miss from 2 yards  ::)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 06, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
Maxi Padriguez once again showing what a waste he is... wide open miss from 2 yards  ::)

He has certainly been a huge disappointment

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
maxi pad...shit snake.....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 06, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »

He has certainly been a huge disappointment

I was happy when we sign him but he hasn't done anything in a Liverpool shirt other than to occupy space on the field.  His right leg is useless, as indicated by that poor cross after Cole mistimed his attempt to intercept that late cross.  1-v-1 against the defender on the end line with half a step and you cross the ball into the side of the net.  Ridiculous.

There have to be better options than him on the bench.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 06, 2011, 11:15:26 AM »
Really not liking the casual play I'm seeing in the back... men need to stop playing around with the ball and clear it.  I understand the need to keep possession and the desire to play the short game, but not the way we going about it in the back.  Also Ivanovic looking more and more threatening on every set piece into the box... time and time againg he's getting a head on the ball.  Not good.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 06, 2011, 11:24:29 AM »
...and off goes Benedict 'Nandoll

GOAL!!!!

Merielles.... 1-0 Liverpool 69'
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:27:18 AM by Bakes »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: February 06, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
good !
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 06, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »
...and off goes Benedict 'Nandoll

GOAL!!!!

Merielles.... 1-0 Liverpool 69'

He has certainly not been a disappointment. He has been in a rich vein of form recently.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 06, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »
Thank God we have a the slim lead because all of a sudden the calls starting to go against us... first Merielles get's called for a handball after the ball was kicked onto his hand from 1-yard away... then Kuyt for fouling Luiz when there was no foul.

EDIT:

As I say that Glen Johnson pulls a John Terry... clear foul fo me.  We lucky to get away with that the way some of these calls have been going.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:51:11 AM by Bakes »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 06, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
King Kenny is really restoring pride in the Reds.  Anyone notice that regardless of how much pressure the defence is under, they are playing it out of the back on the ground?  Plus, the counter attack is really quick and incisive.  Dalgish has surprised me tactically too, although  I'm sure Steve Clarke is driving a lot of that.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 06, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »
King Kenny is really restoring pride in the Reds.  Anyone notice that regardless of how much pressure the defence is under, they are playing it out of the back on the ground?  Plus, the counter attack is really quick and incisive.  Dalgish has surprised me tactically too, although  I'm sure Steve Clarke is driving a lot of that.

Taking some unnecessary risks at times in my mind though... but in general I like the tactic of keeping it on the ground.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 06, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
still to early to say...but wouldnt it be sweet to pip Chelsea for 4th place....or place higher of course
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:12 PM »
congrats liverpool.....i happy for allyuh. a big club with a big history.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 06, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »
thanks

do the same vs Arsenal and City...
and on the 6th March..we will show everyone how to beat a 5-4-1 formation  ;)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 06, 2011, 12:33:34 PM »
thanks

Small Mag...totally different by that time.  I expect to see Suarez running off of Carroll by then.  We played away from home.  Had to close all dem channels that Chelsea like to exploit.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 06, 2011, 12:37:09 PM »
thanks

Small Mag...totally different by that time.  I expect to see Suarez running off of Carroll by then.  We played away from home.  Had to close all dem channels that Chelsea like to exploit.

he played the 5-3-2 at home vs Stoke

guaranteed he'll play it vs United with Suarez Kuyt in attack...  Carroll will still be in the treatment room then.. he was 5 weeks away from being match fit the day yall signed him

It will be a great tactical game..Fergie will probably go with a 4-4-2 with Berba Rooney supported by Nani and either Valencia or Giggs on the wings to stretch pool and keep Johnson and Kelly on their toes

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 06, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
Well El Nin~o did el nada .... overpriced, overated and out of sync!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »
4 matches. 4 wins. 4 clean sheets. You can question the quality of opposition for the first 3, but not today.

Credit has to go to Lucas, who is unrecognisable from the Lucas who joined the club in 2007. And two good points here by Tenorsaw:

Anyone notice that regardless of how much pressure the defence is under, they are playing it out of the back on the ground?  Plus, the counter attack is really quick and incisive.

It's interesting how the squad suddenly looks really deep all of a sudden. Joe Cole is injured and will be back soon. Suarez didn't start today. Carroll still to come. Pacheco will get his chance soon. Thank you, King Kenny!  :beermug:

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:54:42 PM by boss »

Offline Red Mango

• because football, does bring we together...
  • Sr. Warrior
  • We Comin'... Bless up!...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 06, 2011, 02:26:04 PM »
Well played LFC... Doubles is de breakfast of Champions  :rotfl:

Long Live The King  ;D

1-0 at the Bridge

YNWA
I wanted to bring a different style to the team, to play the Trinbagonian way. Everald "Gally" Cummings

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 06, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »
wasn't able to see the game but im glad we pulled out a victory. are there any highlights floating around? cant seem to find any...

edit: nevermind i finally found highlights. great win liverpool!!!

muhahahaha lovely
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:20:35 PM by Trini Madness »
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 06, 2011, 08:50:57 PM »
Breaking news,jamie carragher has been arrested follwing d chelsea game.When questioned by police,he said he didnt realise he had £50million in his back pocket.   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>