April 23, 2024, 06:21:02 PM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 463885 times)

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #1440 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
We have 9 men that could play in the middle so far. We don't need Barton. Even though he have baggage, he brings attitude to a team, sth a team always need.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 06, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »
Game against Valencia on FSC right now.. brisk start for 'Pool, 1-0 (Andy Carroll 7').  Thus far we looking much better than in the first 5 preseason games.  Aquilani gets the start and playing some good football, I really think there's a solid place for him at the club.  Glen Johnson got the start at RB but off after 8 mins (replaced by Kelly) with some kinda knock.  Downing and Adam look transformed.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 06, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »
Aqua man has earned the right to start. We should keep him.  DVR'd the match, so will access our state after I watch it.  Fellas, give me a score update.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 06, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »
Nothing to report sadly... finished 2-0, but we knock well and defended better.  4 subs (Cole, N'gog, Kuyt and Maxi) come on in the second half at the same time and immediately changed the game, talk about nice knock and hustle.  Kyriagkos was our fifth and final sub and he manage to poach a goal near the death... was happy for him.  Henderson was invisible, but I thought Downing and Adam real shine... both delivered some nice crosses, Adam from both flanks, and Downing from the left (he later moved to the right, but wasn't as effective).

Still nothing official on Jose Enrique, personal terms supposedly negotiated, but the clubs apparently still dickering on the transfer fee.  But honestly, between Insua, Robinson, Aurelio... I think we could source a LB.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 11, 2011, 10:17:47 AM »
We got Jose Enrique for £6m, which I think is a fantastic signing, and the first time in a while (probably under the new owners) that we haven't paid over the odds for a player.  :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 11, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »
Liverpool agree Enrique deal

(CNN) -- English Premier League team Liverpool announced on Thursday they have agreed a deal with Newcastle United for left-back Jose Enrique.

Enrique, 25, will now travel to Merseyside to undergo a medical with the Anfield club and discuss personal terms.

"Liverpool FC confirmed today that they had agreed a fee with Newcastle United for the transfer of Jose Enrique," read a statement on Liverpool's web site.

Spaniard Enrique arrived in England from Villarreal in 2007, and was part of the Newcastle squad that was relegated from the Premier League in 2009.

The club gained promotion back to the top division the following season.

Should the former Valencia defender complete his move to the five-time European champions, he would become their fifth signing of the off-season.

Kenny Dalglish's side have already signed England winger Stewart Downing from Aston Villa, midfield duo Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson from Blackpool and Sunderland respectively and goalkeeper Alexander Doni.

Newcastle also confirmed the deal on their web site: "Newcastle United can confirm that a fee has been agreed with Liverpool for the transfer of Jose Enrique.

"The player will travel to Liverpool today to discuss personal terms and undergo a medical."

Former Newcastle boss Dalglish also raided his old club in January, when Liverpool swooped for England striker Andy Carroll.

Both teams are set to begin their league campaigns this weekend, with Newcastle hosting Arsenal and Liverpool facing Sunderland.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/football/08/11/football.liverpool.newcastle.enrique/

Supposedly it could rise to £8m with add-ons.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 11, 2011, 01:08:06 PM »
About time this long drawn out saga came to an end.  Now for a center back....Dann or Cahill?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 11, 2011, 02:53:58 PM »
About time this long drawn out saga came to an end.  Now for a center back....Dann or Cahill?

Bolton blanking man left and right with Cahill and this Dann thing could be another song and dance.  Personally I think we good with what we have.  Among Agger, Skrtel and Kelly... whose real position is CB, I think we good... we done spend enough money as is.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 11, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »

Bolton blanking man left and right with Cahill and this Dann thing could be another song and dance.  Personally I think we good with what we have.  Among Agger, Skrtel and Kelly... whose real position is CB, I think we good... we done spend enough money as is.

Supporters on LFC TV were talking about how shaky Kelly looked at CB in a preseason.  He seems well suited for the flanks, and shows good prowess going forward.  I think we should buy: Carragher is getting old, Agger will be hurt all season as usual, Kyriagos is a liability, and Dalgish doesn't seem to have the confidence in Danny Wilson yet.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 11, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »

Supporters on LFC TV were talking about how shaky Kelly looked at CB in a preseason.  He seems well suited for the flanks, and shows good prowess going forward.  I think we should buy: Carragher is getting old, Agger will be hurt all season as usual, Kyriagos is a liability, and Dalgish doesn't seem to have the confidence in Danny Wilson yet.

Out ah dem two ah leaning towards Dann then... Bolton look like they want ah pound and ah crown fuh Cahill... yuh'd swear was Tim Cahill they selling.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: August 11, 2011, 09:18:44 PM »

Out ah dem two ah leaning towards Dann then... Bolton look like they want ah pound and ah crown fuh Cahill... yuh'd swear was Tim Cahill they selling.

Remember Cahill is now an international and he is seen as being technically solid, with the ability to play out of the back.  That is an asset for a CB.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
Remember Cahill is now an international and he is seen as being technically solid, with the ability to play out of the back.  That is an asset for a CB.

That is true but I don't see him being head and shoulders above Dann... right now the only thing making me think twice is the fact that Arsenal just entered the race for Dann.  So whichever player we get for a reasonable fee I'm good.  I'm still of the position that we have enough players to play CB... Kelly may have been shaky (I don't know) but with the whole defense playing on ice skates and trying to cover for each other, I'm not sure what that really says about him individually.  Evidently the hierarchy still think we need help though  :-[

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: August 13, 2011, 07:31:03 AM »
Let's Go Reds:  Y    N    W    A     !

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: August 13, 2011, 08:07:57 AM »
Damn Suarez...at least hit the target

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: August 13, 2011, 08:13:59 AM »
Dais more like it, Suarez.  Well done, Charlie Adams!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:12 AM »
Very lively game... although Sunderland did well to take a lot of sting out the Liverpool attack towards the half.  Liverpool looks very good, despite some early troubles from the first couple Sunderland set pieces.  Downing's run out the back was incredible and he was just a little unfortunate to hit the crossbar or else we would have had the very first Goal of the Season candidate, and on the first day of the season at that. 

Suarez have about another 20 mins in his legs before he gives way to either Kuyt or N'gog.  Haven't seen enough of Henderson in this game to justify him starting ahead of Kuyt, not sure how much today's opponent factored in that decision. 

I thought the yellow on Richardson, rather than red, was the fair call.

Nice to see Liverpool old boy John Arne Riise back in the league with Fulham.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 08:54:51 AM by Bakes »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: August 13, 2011, 09:14:59 AM »
Oh geed what a volley!

giggsy11

« Reply #1457 on: August 13, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
Sweet!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: August 13, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
Oh geed what a volley!

Stunning equalizer... can't say anything else.  Naive defending by Flanagan allowing him to break contact though.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
Flanagan's been poor.  Out of position, giving it away needlessly, committing unnecessary fouls.  He'll learn.  Probably should have gone with more composed Kelly.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: August 13, 2011, 09:54:26 AM »
first game of season...will take d point..

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: August 13, 2011, 09:56:53 AM »
Flanagan's been poor.  Out of position, giving it away needlessly, committing unnecessary fouls.  He'll learn.  Probably should have gone with more composed Kelly.

Absolutely agree... not sure if the moment got to him, but in all honesty he just seemed overmatched and outclassed by Larssen today.  Even in support play his positioning and decision-making were suspect at best.  Johnson won't be back for another two weeks so we have no choice but to go with him.  On the other side, Enrique was solid... but not spectacular.  I imagine he will only get better... his best play was late in the game when the S. Korean threw a shoulder into him and fell down, lol.  He's a strong dude.

Suarez may have well as stay in the locker room at the half.  His touch and decision-making with the ball was dreadful... but considering he was a match-day decision, we should be thankful that he got those 75 mins under him. I question switching Downing to the right with Kuyt on the left... neutralized Downing's effectiveness.

On balance it's a great result for Sunderland... but poor for Liverpool, these are the types of games that end up costing us at the end every season.  Big teams find a way to get those 2 extra points.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 09:59:36 AM by Bakes »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: August 13, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »

Absolutely agree... not sure if the moment got to him, but in all honesty he just seemed overmatched and outclassed by Larssen today.  Even in support play his positioning and decision-making were suspect at best.  Johnson won't be back for another two weeks so we have no choice but to go with him.  On the other side, Enrique was solid... but not spectacular.  I imagine he will only get better... his best play was late in the game when the S. Korean threw a shoulder into him and fell down, lol.  He's a strong dude.

On balance it's a great result for Sunderland... but poor for Liverpool  Suarez may have well as stay in the locker room at the half.  His touch and decision-making with the ball was dreadful... but considering he was a match-day decision, we should be thankful that he got those 75 mins under him.

The fact that Suarez started shows me that there is no confidence in Ngog, and that we need to buy another striker.  Bellamy woould be a good support guy at this point, but his wages might be prohibitive, and City might not want to sell to 'Pool.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: August 13, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
The fact that Suarez started shows me that there is no confidence in Ngog, and that we need to buy another striker.  Bellamy woould be a good support guy at this point, but his wages might be prohibitive, and City might not want to sell to 'Pool.

I actually don't think it's a reflection on N'gog to be honest... I think a season-opening start is precisely the reason why Kenny kept him out all of pre-season, coming off the Copa.  I was disappointed Kenny didn't pull him earlier though.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: August 13, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »

I actually don't think it's a reflection on N'gog to be honest... I think a season-opening start is precisely the reason why Kenny kept him out all of pre-season, coming off the Copa.  I was disappointed Kenny didn't pull him earlier though.

Point is that we shouldn't have to rush Suarez back.  He's had a long summer and probably could have done with an extra week before he played.  Just my thoughts.  Some depth needed in forward line. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: August 13, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
Point is that we shouldn't have to rush Suarez back.  He's had a long summer and probably could have done with an extra week before he played.  Just my thoughts.  Some depth needed in forward line. 

He's had three weeks rest. 

But I won't argue that we could use help at striker... expect Kuyt to fill in there, particularly once Gerrard returns. 

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: August 13, 2011, 11:20:50 AM »

He's had three weeks rest. 

But I won't argue that we could use help at striker... expect Kuyt to fill in there, particularly once Gerrard returns. 

Would be good to see Kuyt finally being used as a striker though.  That is what he was before he came to 'Pool.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: August 13, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
Kuyt and Suarez up front will frighten the living sh*t out of most defenses.
I would like to see them in combination
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 14, 2011, 02:01:27 AM »
Liverpool v. Sunderland... player ratings

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: August 14, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
Liverpool v. Sunderland... player ratings

Jury is still out on Henderson.  Not sure he is a flank midfielder.   I see him coming off the bench eventually.  Meireles should have started.  Charlie Adams looks good spraying the ball 40-50 yards, but is a defensive liability.  Poor on tackling and his fitness is a concern to me..faded badly.  I'd play Kelly ahead of Flanagan and give the youngster time to develop playing cup games.  We should buy Gary Cahill.  He and Agger would be a good pairing.  Carragher  has great heart, but does not use the midfield when he is in possession of the ball at the back.

1]; } ?>