April 24, 2024, 04:01:35 PM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 464101 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #1500 on: September 11, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »
A very disappointing display by Liverpool today.  Mark Clattenburg real screw we over with that penalty call... then ignore other legitimate shouts by us for the same.  Stoke pull a fast one by shortening the pitch by 10 yards and narrowing it by 4... that smaller pitch helped them stifle our midfield play.  In the end we have no one to blame but ourselves for failing to make the most of the chances we had.

Player Ratings vs. Stoke

I think that is some bullshit that a team could shorten their pitch just like that.  Once a team provides an official record of the dimensions of their pitch, that should be it for the season.  Bullshit.  We'll see how they carry on for the rest of the season.  Britannia is a tough place to play, and doing that just made it harder.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: September 12, 2011, 01:20:07 AM »
I think that is some bullshit that a team could shorten their pitch just like that.  Once a team provides an official record of the dimensions of their pitch, that should be it for the season.  Bullshit.  We'll see how they carry on for the rest of the season.  Britannia is a tough place to play, and doing that just made it harder.

I agree with yuh... but according to the Setanta commentators it legal, as much as they themselves didn't like it.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: September 12, 2011, 11:35:48 AM »

Someting about it seems shady fuh real ent...Until this weekend, I didn't really know that teams actively did that on a game by game basis depending on the opposition....

That said it's only souring when it actually works lol...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: September 12, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Remember, the size of a soccer field is given in a range, not a specific size.

Minimum length: 100 yards (90 meters)
Maximum length: 130 yards (120 meters)
Minimum width: 50 yards (45 meters)
Maximum width: 100 yards (90 meters)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: September 12, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
Remember, the size of a soccer field is given in a range, not a specific size.

Minimum length: 100 yards (90 meters)
Maximum length: 130 yards (120 meters)
Minimum width: 50 yards (45 meters)
Maximum width: 100 yards (90 meters)

Yeah no secret some fields are bigger than others...all within regulation range.  I remember my college field was 120 x 80 (yards) ..very wide for a NCAA field, and we used to real struggle playing at some of the other schools with a much narrower field...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: September 12, 2011, 01:02:13 PM »
How different is field reduction when compared to  ... say ... adjusting the surface conditions (wetting the field, grass height ... etc.)?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: September 12, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
How different is field reduction when compared to  ... say ... adjusting the surface conditions (wetting the field, grass height ... etc.)?

It depends on the tactics being employed... a team with a ground game will have a much harder time moving the ball than a team which relies on the long ball.   20 bodies are packed into a smaller space thereby restricting the movement of the ball along the ground.  Even if you want to just count defenders... there are 10 at any moment.  I know you get the concept... but it's like getting past practice cones on a tennis court as opposed to a regulation field.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: September 18, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
No excuses. That was an absolutely shit performance, and the players really need to take a look at themselves. Gerrard can't come back soon enough, because there was no imagination in midfield. Suarez had a blatant dive to get a free kick - he needs to cut that out. And I'm not really sure where Kenny was playing Carroll once we went down to 10 men. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can kick start the season, but I'm finding it very difficult to find any positives from this.  :beermug:

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: September 18, 2011, 09:32:03 AM »
Tottenham's becoming another of Liverpool's bogey teams. That's two defeats in the last  three matches to Tottenham.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: September 18, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »
All that money Liverpool spent and they still look very shaky and indecisive
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: September 18, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
Tottenham's becoming another of Liverpool's bogey teams. That's two defeats in the last  three matches to Tottenham.

Actually our third straight loss to them... 2-0 away and 2-1 at home last season.  I'm not overly concerned... yet.  Bale was always favored in his matchup against Skrtel who was playing out of position... that right there was the biggest problem, that one match up.  Bale drew yellow cards on both Skrtel and Adams in the first 15' before Modric's wonder strike.  That set the table for the two dismissals later on, and Skrtel needs to look at himself in the mirror after that naive challenge on Bale that got him sent off.

Most worrisome to me is the lack of creativity in midfield.  We spent ₤43 million on a midfield overhaul and only got Stewart Downing in return.  Henderson and Adam have been absolute wastes, save for that one game against Bolton.  Adam is slow on the ball and reckless in the challenge.  He was third in the league with 11 fouls coming into the game, and now leads the league with 4 yellow cards.  Henderson had yet another invisible performance.

The woeful play of the midfield aside, the fact is that we came in with a makeshift backline of sorts, lost Agger after 26 mins, lost Adam to a red card a minute later... yet for the better part of 65 mins managed to contain Spurs with everything including some bubble gum and duct tape.  Once Skrtel backside self got sent off in the 63' the floodgates opened up.  We should get Gerrard back next week, but I doubt that will be enough to correct all that's wrong in midfield, even so, we should improve a ton over today's performance.

Player Ratings vs. Spurs
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:26:10 PM by Bakes »

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: September 18, 2011, 01:40:06 PM »

Actually our third straight loss to them... 2-0 away and 2-1 at home last season.  I'm not overly concerned... yet.  Bale was always favored in his matchup against Skrtel who was playing out of position... that right there was the biggest problem, that one match up.  Bale drew yellow cards on both Skrtel and Adams in the first 15' before Modric's wonder strike.  That set the table for the two dismissals later on, and Skrtel needs to look at himself in the mirror after that naive challenge on Bale that got him sent off.

Most worrisome to me is the lack of creativity in midfield.  We spent ₤43 million on a midfield overhaul and only got Stewart Downing in return.  Henderson and Adam have been absolute wastes, save for that one game against Bolton.  Adam is slow on the ball and reckless in the challenge.  He was third in the league with 11 fouls coming into the game, and now leads the league with 4 yellow cards.  Henderson had yet another invisible performance.

The woeful play of the midfield aside, the fact is that we came in with a makeshift backline of sorts, lost Agger after 26 mins, lost Adam to a red card a minute later... yet for the better part of 65 mins managed to contain Spurs with everything including some bubble gum and duct tape.  Once Skrtel backside self got sent off in the 63' the floodgates opened up.  We should get Gerrard back next week, but I doubt that will be enough to correct all that's wrong in midfield, even so, we should improve a ton over today's performance.

Yeah, I meant to say 3rd straight loss, but thanks for the correction. The season is still relatively young, so I am also not too concerned yet. Kenny neeeds a full season with Liverpool in order to develop a winning team.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: September 18, 2011, 01:51:02 PM »
Adjusting the pitch has always been done in football. If teams play against an opponent with great wingers, they make the pitch narrow, etc etc. Only in the International game adjustments are difficult because FIFA stipulates a minimum width & Length for Internationals
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: September 18, 2011, 02:01:51 PM »
Adjusting the pitch has always been done in football. If teams play against an opponent with great wingers, they make the pitch narrow, etc etc. Only in the International game adjustments are difficult because FIFA stipulates a minimum width & Length for Internationals

Same in the domestic game, FIFA regs concerning the field configuration applies on every level of the sport.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: September 18, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »

Same in the domestic game, FIFA regs concerning the field configuration applies on every level of the sport.

Not what I meant! Maybe I did not explain myself. You can technically have a game played on a field 50 yards wide (minimum by FIFA standards). However, an International game cannot be played on a field that is less than 114 x 74 yards wide.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: September 18, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »
Not what I meant! Maybe I did not explain myself. You can technically have a game played on a field 50 yards wide (minimum by FIFA standards). However, an International game cannot be played on a field that is less than 114 x 74 yards wide.

Oh okay... I get you now.  Did not know that... maybe some of these bigger leagues need to implement the same and standardize the dimensions of their fields.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: September 18, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »
Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can kick start the season,

nah boy, allyuh rock bottom was supposed to be last season. It go be hard to keep up if allyuh have to hit rock bottom again
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: September 18, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »

nah boy, allyuh rock bottom was supposed to be last season. It go be hard to keep up if allyuh have to hit rock bottom again

Go ahead and gloat. Just remember all empires fall, even ones as impressive as Manchester United.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: September 18, 2011, 07:41:37 PM »
no

Go ahead and gloat. Just remember all empires fall, even ones as impressive as Manchester United.

steups. nobody gloating pardner.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: September 21, 2011, 01:15:47 PM »
Game against Brighton on now... 1-0 Liverpool in the 27'.  Bellamy (7') with the goal off a beautiful Suarez pass.

Fantastic stream here... http://www.justin.tv/wzhdstreams2#/w/1801941744

May also be available later on for the Chelsea/Fulham match.

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: September 21, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »
D boss now step on d field

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: September 21, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
For the third straight game Carra's responsible for marring the clean sheet, this time conceding another penalty.  But good win still.... Gerrard came on for 20 mins and made a difference in the attack... even managed to cuss the ref too, lol.  Bellamy was boss... ole man still have it... screamer off the crossbar from 35 out... one of three balls off the posts for us today.

EDIT:  Highlights

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s94rbpF1NIo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s94rbpF1NIo</a>
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 12:08:32 AM by Bakes »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: September 24, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
Good win against Wolves... 2-1 final.  Adam scored early with a deflected shot, Suarez put us up 2-0 before the half, before Fletcher came on as a second-half sub to pull one back for Wolves.  Was watching a choppy feed so doesn't even feel as though I watched the game.  Replay on FSC later on today at 5 pm.

Player Rating vs. Wolves
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 11:29:31 PM by Bakes »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: September 24, 2011, 09:45:36 PM »
Suarez score ah real quality goal dey and he time he run well too

daiz d best goal i see in a while
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: September 25, 2011, 08:23:23 PM »

De man is quality.  Has the knack to score from some really tight angles, and speaks volumes about his accuracy.  He has to realize that he will not always play 90 mins.  He really did not have a break this summer.  Looks like Gerrard will be employed in a much higher position behind the lone striker, so it will be interesting to see how this affects Suarez.  We need to manage him well, and not burn him out.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: September 25, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »

The first touch was pure class
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: September 26, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »
De man is quality.  Has the knack to score from some really tight angles, and speaks volumes about his accuracy.  He has to realize that he will not always play 90 mins.  He really did not have a break this summer.  Looks like Gerrard will be employed in a much higher position behind the lone striker, so it will be interesting to see how this affects Suarez.  We need to manage him well, and not burn him out.

Suarez just very competitive - You can see it by the way he plays with hunger and desire.  His little kick out after being subbed was just his desire in the heat of the moment.  I eh think he feels entitled to the full 90, or that he was vex with anyone.... He like a lil 14 year old ball ho who just want tuh play lol..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: September 26, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »

Suarez just very competitive - You can see it by the way he plays with hunger and desire.  His little kick out after being subbed was just his desire in the heat of the moment.  I eh think he feels entitled to the full 90, or that he was vex with anyone.... He like a lil 14 year old ball ho who just want tuh play lol..

Yeah I think this is how most people interpret it... even at the start of the season, Kenny mentioned needing to rest him given how much he played over the Summer.  Suarez point blank (but not in an impudent way) responded that he would be fine and didn't really need the rest, lol.

Gerrard will definitely play higher up in midfield... one of the frustrations for Aquilani was that he wanted to play in the hole behind the strikers, but Kenny indicated that this was Gerrard's preferred position and that he would defer to him over Aquilani on this.  I think if anything, this will increase Suarez' effectiveness... provided that Gerrard doesn't play in a too static a fashion... which he never has.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: September 27, 2011, 05:58:38 AM »
Dirk Kuyt frustrated after losing Liverpool starting place

Andy Hunter
guardian.co.uk,    Monday 26 September 2011 17.30 EDT

Dirk Kuyt believes his relegation to squad player is evidence of Liverpool's strength in depth. Photograph: Matthew Childs/Action Images
Dirk Kuyt has spoken of his disappointment at losing a regular starting place at Liverpool but accepts the club had to improve competition for places to challenge for honours once more.

The Holland international has started only half of Liverpool's six Premier League games this season as the manager, Kenny Dalglish, seeks to integrate the £20m summer signing Jordan Henderson into the team and utilises his options up front. Kuyt's absence has surprised many given his form under Dalglish last season and contribution this term, and the 31-year-old admits it has been difficult to adapt to his changing role.

"I'm disappointed to be out of the team," said Kuyt, who returned to the bench against Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday having started and scored against Brighton in the Carling Cup. "From childhood, I've always been disappointed when I'm not in the team because I'm desperate to be involved and make a good contribution. But it also makes me very determined too. I need to continue to prove myself, train as hard as possible and, when I do play, make sure my performance is of a high standard."

Despite the personal cost, the former Feyenoord striker admits Liverpool's squad now has the depth he encountered upon his arrival at the club in 2006 and required substantial investment following the final draining years under the former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

He added: "Competition is tough now but it's brilliant for the club that there are so many players to choose from now, top-class international players. The players realise at the end of the day you need more than 11 good players to be successful.

"When I first arrived here we had a very good, big squad but for the last two seasons before this one, we haven't had the depth that we did in the first three seasons. Someone like Craig Bellamy is a strong addition to what is already a very strong squad, and that can only be good for the team. We definitely have better quality now and more players to choose from as well. I think with the signings we've made, we have a great squad now so we should be ambitious and have confidence in ourselves."

Henderson has yet to convince that he merits a place in the team ahead of Kuyt but his fellow midfielder Lucas Leiva, who overcame a difficult start to his own Anfield career before establishing himself, insists the former Sunderland player simply needs time to adapt to his summer transfer.

Lucas said: "I don't blame the young players because I have been in their position for a few years. He is English and has already adapted to the Premier League. But to change your club and move to a big place like Liverpool is difficult. I think he is playing well. He will get confidence when he gets more minutes and understands the role he needs to do more.

"We just have to keep encouraging him and give him the confidence to keep improving. We can see he has the attributes to be a good player but he is still very young and we just have to give him time and be patient. Then we will see he is a good player. We can see in training that he likes to work hard and that is the main thing. As long as you are working hard every day, your opportunities will come. He will be ready to show his best form if we don't rush him and give him time to settle."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/26/dirk-kuyt-liverpool

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could somebody explain to me why Henderson continues to start over Kuyt?  steups

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: September 27, 2011, 06:25:50 AM »
I've said it long before since Steve Bruce started playing him in front Carlos at Sunderland... I dunno what people does see in Henderson.

Henderson is a very average player. Very basic and very rigid in style, i struggle to point to one quality that puts him out above then next player. I consider him a poor man's James Milner who i consider to be very average himself.

If he wasn't young and English he was not ever seeing an EPL team.

1]; } ?>