March 28, 2024, 11:39:02 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 460067 times)

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #2040 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »
Well, I am not surprised that Kenny has been let go. His team selections this season have been questionable to say the least, and the less said about his handling of the Suarez-Evra debacle, the better. With all this said, I would have given him another full season, with the only instance in which an early termination would be warranted would be Liverpool being in relegation danger.

It is unfortunate given that Kenny has actually won First Division titles with Liverpool and won the Premier League with Blackburn in 1995 (or it could be 1996).

However, I respect the ownership's decision.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
I'd take Rafa back; he'd be off and running seamlessly, but Martinez is just waiting for a big job.  He has overachieved at Wigan. 

Same at Swansea before that.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2042 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:41 AM »
If Martinez goes to Liverpool he needs to get the backing of the owners that with a clear public statement that his job is not dependent on CL qualification. Because that is what the Liverpool fans expect.

Coming from a small club, Martinez will face a lot of the same problems that Hodgson faced with the fans. I just don’t see Liverpool fans being patient enough to accept a transition year or two under Martinez, especially when they could reference the “return to good football” and return to silverware that Dalglish just  give them.

Based on his time at Wigan Martinez is a patient manager. At Wigan Whelan give him complete faith every single year no matter how perilous things get and what he wants the players to do on the field takes time to develop. The only criticism I would have of him as a manager is a failure to find/spot good strikers.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2043 on: May 16, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
Just heard Tony Evans on the Radio. Evans is the Times Sports Editor, Liverpool native and big Liverpool fan. He wanted nothing to do with Hodgson and does still waste him down to this day.

His reponse to the sacking was scathing.

“Very, very disappointed at the sacking”

“I think it’s a premature stupid act that leaves a shell of a club”

“No chief executive, no manager, no director of communications, no director of football”

“Liverpool football club has a heritage and tradition which seems to have gone out the window”

“To sack the second most important figure in the club’s history and not keep a connection is beyond the pale”

That is what the next Liverpool manager will be dealing with. People with a pro-Dalglish agenda wanting to be proved right about their opposition to the sacking.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: May 16, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
I'd take Rafa back; he'd be off and running seamlessly, but Martinez is just waiting for a big job.  He has overachieved at Wigan. 

Same at Swansea before that.

Was concerned for Swansea when he left, but Rogers has done quite a good job as his replacement.  Martinez would definitely come to Anfield, if approached.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: May 16, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »
Personally, I would have given Dalglish some more time; at least half a season. However, there is no argument that the results haven't been good enough, so even if I don't agree, it's an understandable decision.

But I think Tony Evans makes the key point here:

“No chief executive, no manager, no director of communications, no director of football”

No one knows what the owners are thinking/doing re. structure and key personnel. Most notably, how has MD Ian Ayre managed to keep his job? HE is the person most culpable for the Suarez reaction as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Dalglish's public statements were embarrassing, and he was rightly taken to task for that, but the whole thing reeked of a lack of leadership (t-shirts, statements on the website, to name two examples). The honeymoon is over for these owners, and their next moves will be critically important. They don't have much time to fill these roles before Europa League qualifying.  :beermug:

EDIT: As for who I want to replace him: Marcelo Bielsa. Sorry if I don't share the Martinez-love.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:23:17 PM by boss »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: May 16, 2012, 12:35:20 PM »
Personally, I would have given Dalglish some more time; at least half a season. However, there is no argument that the results haven't been good enough, so even if I don't agree, it's an understandable decision.

But I think Tony Evans makes the key point here:

No one knows what the owners are thinking/doing re. structure and key personnel. Most notably, how has MD Ian Ayre managed to keep his job? HE is the person most culpable for the Suarez reaction as far as I'm concerned. Yes, Dalglish's public statements were embarrassing, and he was rightly taken to task for that, but the whole thing reeked of a lack of leadership (t-shirts, statements on the website, to name two examples). The honeymoon is over for these owners, and their next moves will be critically important. They don't have much time to fill these roles before Europa League qualifying.  :beermug:

EDIT: As for who I want to replace him: Marcelo Bielsa. Sorry if I don't share the Martinez-love.  :beermug:

Bielsa is good, but there's always a question mark when a foreign manager moves to the EPL.  This league is a different beast.  I'd really like Juergen Klopp, but Dortmund flying right now, so would be tough to tempt him away from there.  In retrospect, everyone is saying that AVB was the man for the job, and might have been in the picture last year, hence the owners drawn out wait before dropping the "interim" tag from Dalgish's title. Word is that he's going to Roma.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:39:18 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: May 16, 2012, 06:05:05 PM »
Was concerned for Swansea when he left, but Rogers has done quite a good job as his replacement.  Martinez would definitely come to Anfield, if approached.

I like Rogers, he's a progressive manager and prefers a beautiful brand of football... but I think we can have the same, plus some more seasoning with Martinez. 

The diehards will gripe about the sacking, but hard to argue with the facts

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: May 17, 2012, 01:41:20 PM »
Wigan have granted Liverpool permission to speak to Martinez...

I think that would be a good fit, Martinez has clear ideas about how he wants his teams to play and is able to get players on board. Considering the sub-standard players he has at Wigan I think he did really well to even keep them in the league 2 years running. When Franco Di Santo is yuh go to forward and yuh still pulling off wins then credit is due.

I also biased for that signing because hopefully he take his backroom staff with him which would mean Dennis Lawrence would be a Liverpool assistant coach.

And if the planets align properly, Steve Clarke will leave and come back home to Chelsea.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: May 17, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Guardian reporting that Liverpool after Pep... along with Klopp and Deschamps.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2050 on: May 18, 2012, 05:46:21 AM »
Roberto Martínez could be a success as Liverpool manager if given time

The Spaniard has never managed a club where there is pressure to win trophies and secure a Champions League place but he has the qualities to overcome his lack of experience

Paul Wilson
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 17 May 2012 22.30 BST

At a superficial level it is easy to see why a manager like Roberto Martínez would appeal to Liverpool's American owners. Unlike the suspicious, tetchy manager they have just sacked, Martínez is young, good-looking and smiles a lot, plays brilliantly to the camera and can put a positive spin on anything from Antolín Alcaraz spitting at an opponent to Wigan Athletic losing eight matches on the trot.

Wigan's incredible recovery in the last couple of months has alerted many people to the abilities of their manager, and the Fenway Sports Group cannot fail to have noticed that three of the points vital to the Latics' survival were gained at Anfield, but losing eight matches in succession would not normally recommend a managerial candidate to Liverpool, and nor would flirting with relegation for most of the season then pulling out of the nose dive in admittedly impressive style.

Most clubs other than Wigan would have parted company with Martínez at an early point in the January transfer window, when he had supervised a mere three wins in 19 games, just one of them at home. The fact that he was retained to see the job through at the DW Stadium is a testament to the trust and patience of Dave Whelan, Wigan's owner, as well as the enormous self-belief Martínez himself brings to his work, but Wigan are not exactly typical of Premier League clubs. The last quarter of the season may have been be a good advertisement for Martínez's potential, but the first three-quarters at any other club would have denied him the opportunity even to be mentioned as a possible successor to Kenny Dalglish.

It goes without saying that Liverpool would not put up with eight-match losing runs either, probably not even half that many defeats in a row, and that leads naturally to another problem Martínez might face. If there are significant numbers among the Anfield support who believe Dalglish was harshly treated or should have had longer, and there are, then the most reliable way for the club to silence any doubters would be to bring in someone with an impeccable and up to date winning pedigree. José Mourinho may be out of reach, but Pep Guardiola would fit the bill handsomely.

No one could argue with that, not even Dalglish's most loyal allies. But if you go for someone who has never won a title before, someone with no experience of taking a team into Europe, of making big money signings or dealing with the very top tier of footballers, you are asking for trouble if things do not immediately go well. Roy Hodgson was quickly made to realise he had come to Liverpool from a small club, and that Anfield wanted no part of what was perceived as his small club mentality. Yet Wigan are much smaller than Fulham and, far from taking his unfashionable outfit all the way to a Europa League final, as Hodgson did two years ago, all Martínez has actually managed is to lead his side out of the bottom three for the second season in a row, this time a little earlier than the last.

While no one could deny that Wigan made a great escape this season, not that much of their football has been great, and the total of 62 goals conceded was nine goals higher than Aston Villa's. Liverpool will like the way a Martínez team tries to play, and from that point of view he makes a good fit with Anfield tradition, but he will need to become more pragmatic at the top level or find himself a decent defence coach. Martínez famously turned down Villa this time last year, a decision just about vindicated by Wigan finishing one place above them in the league table, but a manager cannot afford to be so cavalier about an offer from Liverpool. Turn down Liverpool, and you would be unlikely to escape the stigma for the rest of your career.

This may not be the ideal time to take the Liverpool job, what with too much money having already been spent and a dangerous amount of affection still adhering to Dalglish, but were it an ideal time a manager with Martínez's cv would be lucky to get in the frame. In making public their interest Liverpool appear to be indicating their willingness to take a risk on a personable young man with most of his career still ahead of him. Should the offer be made concrete Martínez will have little choice but to accept and take a risk of his own, even if he has private reservations or would have preferred another season or so at Wigan. The same applies to Brendan Rodgers, the Swansea manager, who has also been sounded out.

But the very top jobs do not come around very often and Martínez has not only proved he is not the type to shy away from a challenge, he has gone a long way to demonstrating there is substance to his personal belief that any challenge can be surmounted. He will not get a bigger challenge than the one currently waving at him from Merseyside, and as long as Liverpool can learn to be patient he may even be an inspired choice.

He has more Premier League experience than Rodgers, and if, as it appears, Liverpool are willing to gamble on a manager from the lower end of the table rather than one who has won titles and medals, they surely cannot expect an instant return. It would be unfair to appoint either Martínez or Rodgers and demand Champions League qualification next season, though both men, given the time that was denied Dalglish, could not only get there eventually but do so in style.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: May 18, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »

Men saying the owners and mgmt. ain't know what they want, but think it is really a case of trying to hire a manager for the long haul.  They are casting a big net, looking at all options.  They don't want this to be another stop-gap appointment.  The fact that they've even considered Guardiola, who I think will stick to his word and take time away from the game, speaks volume to the ambition and desire to get things right at Liverpool.  Seems like people in the UK interpreting their desire to make contact and interview more than one candidate as a sign of indecision, but how do you really know what are the plans and longterm ambitions of the candidates, and whether they are in sync with the "Liverpool Way"? 

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: May 18, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »

While the pressure at Liverpool will not be as intense as managing at Barcelona, I doubt that Pep will reconsider his decision to step away from the game for a bit.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: May 18, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
I doubt that Pep will reconsider his decision to step away from the game for a bit.

....especially to manage this shit side.

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: May 18, 2012, 02:57:34 PM »

Amazing. Your team is in the Champions League final in less than 24 hours and you're still obsessed with Liverpool. It's very flattering, thank you.

For the record, Liverpool played Chelsea 4 times this past season, and the "shit side" won 3.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2055 on: May 18, 2012, 03:34:57 PM »

Amazing. Your team is in the Champions League final in less than 24 hours and you're still obsessed with Liverpool. It's very flattering, thank you.

For the record, Liverpool played Chelsea 4 times this past season, and the "shit side" won 3.

My team being in the Champions' League final affords me the high ground to look down and surf the threads of the lower regions for a few hours and comment as I see fit.  I'm sure even for the most ardent liverpool faithful, them 3 wins over Chelsea are worth as much right now as a bucket of sand.  Let's exchange them and that Carling Cup for our 1 victory and the FA Cup, shall we?

...But going back to the real reason I posted in the first place: Pep Guardiola not comin' to coach this shit side so allyuh doh need to get allyuh hopes up with all the "chatter" about liverpool approaching him and even if he does boungce he head and come and coach allyuh, he would be in the same position Obama was when he came into office: takin' the controls of a train wreck.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:38:17 PM by Mango Chow! »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: May 18, 2012, 04:09:46 PM »

Men saying the owners and mgmt. ain't know what they want, but think it is really a case of trying to hire a manager for the long haul.  They are casting a big net, looking at all options.  They don't want this to be another stop-gap appointment.  The fact that they've even considered Guardiola, who I think will stick to his word and take time away from the game, speaks volume to the ambition and desire to get things right at Liverpool.  Seems like people in the UK interpreting their desire to make contact and interview more than one candidate as a sign of indecision, but how do you really know what are the plans and longterm ambitions of the candidates, and whether they are in sync with the "Liverpool Way"? 

Dem jackass in England looking for any excuse to cast stones at "the Americans"... like all the decision making being done in Boston without the input of actual football people there in England.  Idiots.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: May 18, 2012, 04:47:23 PM »
Dem jackass in England looking for any excuse to cast stones at "the Americans"... like all the decision making being done in Boston without the input of actual football people there in England.  Idiots.

This is not about xenophobia; this is about holding the owners of a football club to account. That's all. If English owners were in charge and the club found itself with no Director of Football, Chief Executive, Director of Communications, AND Manager, the reaction would be the same. (I'm talking about reaction from supporters themselves - forget the shit in newspapers).

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: May 18, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
I'm sure even for the most ardent liverpool faithful, them 3 wins over Chelsea are worth as much right now as a bucket of sand.  Let's exchange them and that Carling Cup for our 1 victory and the FA Cup, shall we?

??? What? Why would we do that? Anyway, I'm bored of this. For what it's worth, good luck tomorrow.  :beermug:

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: May 18, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
I doubt that Pep will reconsider his decision to step away from the game for a bit.

Every organization has its peaks and valleys. I am old enough to remember when Chelsea was not the Chelsea of today.

Always remember Chelsea had to wait fifty years before winning the English league title. Liverpool still has another forty-eight years to go before getting to the level of torture and mediocrity that Chelsea had to endure.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: May 18, 2012, 05:01:36 PM »

Every organization has its peaks and valleys. I am old enough to remember when Chelsea was not the Chelsea of today.

Always remember Chelsea had to wait fifty years before winning the English league title. Liverpool still has another forty-eight years to go before getting to the level of torture and mediocrity that Chelsea had to endure.

I know that all too well, jed.  I jes gettin' kicks and rubbin' a lil' salt in liverpool fans wounds the same way liverpool fans does come and trow salt in we eye, horse, is really not even a big deal like some men makin' it out to be.  Men jes need to lighten up and take a joke.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: May 18, 2012, 05:21:08 PM »

I know that all too well, jed.  I jes gettin' kicks and rubbin' a lil' salt in liverpool fans wounds the same way liverpool fans does come and trow salt in we eye, horse, is really not even a big deal like some men makin' it out to be.  Men jes need to lighten up and take a joke.

Fair enough. It is not always easy to tell in cyberspace whether or not things are said in jest.

:beermug:

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: May 18, 2012, 05:26:36 PM »

Fair enough. It is not always easy to tell in cyberspace whether or not things are said in jest.

:beermug:

99.999999999999999 per cent of my posts are written in jest.  Just for the record.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: May 18, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »

This is not about xenophobia; this is about holding the owners of a football club to account. That's all. If English owners were in charge and the club found itself with no Director of Football, Chief Executive, Director of Communications, AND Manager, the reaction would be the same. (I'm talking about reaction from supporters themselves - forget the shit in newspapers).

Well I don't why you would reply to what I said talking about supporters when I am specifically talking about the media, but even so you are seriously deluded if you think xenophobia plays no part in what you're reading/hearing.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: May 19, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
I am old enough to remember when Chelsea was not the Chelsea of today.

you can also be "YOUNG" enough
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: May 19, 2012, 12:40:11 AM »
Brendan Rodgers
Jurgen Klopp

Roberto Martinez
Andre Villas-Boas
Jose Mourinho
Pep Guardiola
Michael Laudrup

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: May 20, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
Brendan Rodgers
Jurgen Klopp

Roberto Martinez
Andre Villas-Boas
Jose Mourinho
Pep Guardiola
Michael Laudrup

Add Frank De Boer to that list.  Supposedly admired for how fast he turned things around at Ajax. Not sure how much yuh could believe The Sun though. Oh, and Capello supposedly showing interest now.  Might all be gossip to sell tabloids.  Yuh know how it goes in England.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:47:11 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:33 PM »
Brendan Rodgers
Jurgen Klopp

Roberto Martinez
Andre Villas-Boas
Jose Mourinho
Pep Guardiola
Michael Laudrup

Add Frank De Boer to that list.  Supposedly admired for how fast he turned things around at Ajax. Not sure how much yuh could believe The Sun though. Oh, and Capello supposedly showing interest now.  Might all be gossip to sell tabloids.  Yuh know how it goes in England.

Nah ah think yuh hear right... Guardian mention them two names as well, but discounting Capello on account of age and supposed lack of interest on his part.

EDIT:

Aaapss... De Boer say he not interested.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 12:52:58 PM by Bakes »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2068 on: May 21, 2012, 07:27:07 AM »

I actually like the way that FSG approaching this interview process. Very much like the NFL process. No secrets about who being interviewed and looking at plenty people.

It is alien to British Football though where yuh just have backroom meetings with the top target then move on down the line if he turn yuh down.

I agree that there is a lot of xenophobia involved in the criticisms of FSG. The first thing yiuh does hear is “not football people”, the next does be “over there in America/Boston/New England”.

And right now it is very veiled. Let them hire somebody who start off bad or end up in a worse postion than Kenny and the Spirit of Shankly and Liverpool Press Corp will be gunning for them mercilessly.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: May 21, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
I actually like the way that FSG approaching this interview process. Very much like the NFL process. No secrets about who being interviewed and looking at plenty people.

It is alien to British Football though where yuh just have backroom meetings with the top target then move on down the line if he turn yuh down.

I agree that there is a lot of xenophobia involved in the criticisms of FSG. The first thing yiuh does hear is “not football people”, the next does be “over there in America/Boston/New England”.

And right now it is very veiled. Let them hire somebody who start off bad or end up in a worse postion than Kenny and the Spirit of Shankly and Liverpool Press Corp will be gunning for them mercilessly.

I understand some of the concerns with publicly identifying candidates, it puts the candidates and their clubs in a tough place.  On the one hand as a candidate you don't want to seem too interested and end up causing bad feelings with your club management and supporters, worse yet if yuh chase the job and end up getting blank.  On the other hand who wouldn't want a chance to manage a bigger club, and possibly strengthen yuh negotiating position with yuh current club as well?

I think LFC should do their level best to not comment on who's in the running from who's not.  And yeah, much of the criticism, whether folks want to acknowledge it as xenophobia or not, stems from the fact that LFC has American ownership... the press seems to look for any excuse to paint them as absentee owners, or otherwise disconnected from how things are done in England.  That may be true of the business side of things, but from a footballing standpoint it is obvious that things are being handled by Ayre in Liverpool.

1]; } ?>