April 20, 2024, 06:57:48 AM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 463349 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #2070 on: May 21, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »
Wondering if we'll hear of an appointment by week's end?  Probably not, cause men coming across the pond to meet with owners, and that "shortlist" kinda long.  They could have made the trip over to the UK; that sort of sending a negative signal, if you ask me.  L'Pool is based in Engand, and this is a critical decision, so they should have spun it that way: spend a week in Liverpool, burn the midnight oil, and interview candidates all week.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: May 21, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »
Agree with you, the interviews should be conducted in England... only if the interview is being done with the team management and entire ownership board... which logistically may make more sense for it to be done in Boston.  But still, I think symbolically it would go a long ways to base as much of the operation as possible in Liverpool.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: May 22, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
The saga continues...now Redknapp in the mix?

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/liverpool-planning-a-shock-move-for-spurs-boss-harry-redknapp-7778124.html

I'd really be surprised if there was any truth to this.

Buddy from London sent that this morning.  He's a Spurs fan.  I think he was just trying to add some humor.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2075 on: May 22, 2012, 04:49:34 PM »
Add former Bayern manager Louis Van Gaal to the mix... for a senior managerial position.  My personal take is that having him in the mix kinda negates them bringing in a seasoned manager, as such a manager might bristle at having to share responsibilities with him.  So much then for the Capello (and certainly Redknapp) talk.  I think it will come down to AVB and Martinez, with Martinez having the upper hand... just a feeling.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: May 23, 2012, 06:49:48 AM »
Barnes: Fans need to give FSG time
Tuesday 22nd May 2012 Teamtalk UK

John Barnes believes Liverpool fans need to give the club's owners time to put together a coherent strategy for the club's long-term future.

Principal owner John Henry and Tom Werner head Fenway Sports Group's quest to find a successor to Kenny Dalglish, sacked as manager last week.

However, they are also undertaking a re-structuring at Anfield which will see a technical director, among others, put in place to ensure a long-term strategy is developed and adhered to.

One fans' group the Spirit of Shankly, who led the protests against the despised former regime of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, have written to Henry and Werner asking for clear direction and communication to dispel a growing perception the club is "in disarray".

Barnes insists if FSG's decision-making is to set up Liverpool for their next chapter in history they have to get it right.

"If the club believes in a new philosophy then they need to stick with it, regardless of how well or badly we do in the short-term," he said.

"If it takes two, three or four years to fulfil the plan then we need to give the club time to realise it and make it happen.

"But it won't take as long as Liverpool fans have been waiting to see the team win the Premier League.

"Maybe if a system was put in place 20 years ago we wouldn't still be waiting to win our first title since 1990.

"If we keep changing the manager, the players or the system every one, two, three or four years, we could be waiting another 20 years to win the title too."

Liverpool are continuing to narrow down a list of potential candidates with a view to short-listing the key group for next week.

While this has always been FSG's plan their approach is causing consternation in some quarters as it appears to the outside world that the selection process is drifting, allowing continued media speculation.

Spirit of Shankly tried to address the matter in their letter, which said: "From the outside it looks like a football club in disarray.

"Confusion and chaos seems to reign and no one is coming out of this with much credit, particularly the football club's image and brand.

"We need clear and pro-active communication, a confident message about the club's plans that breeds confidence amongst supporters that we are moving in the right direction.

"Instead, we have silence and a lack of information or understanding on decisions being made.

"As supporters we have seen all too clearly what a lack of communication from absentee owners leads to.

"We find ourselves experiencing deja vu, where boardroom decisions lead to more questions than they answer."

Barnes, however, urged fans to give FSG time to put together a coherent strategy.

"It's time to support the owners because they want to return Liverpool to a team that competes for the biggest trophies," he told liverpoolfc.tv.

"It's not necessary for fans to know the inner workings of any football club because we don't know the inner workings of any business.

"I'm sure in the next week or two or three, it will become more apparent how we intend to move forward when a new manager is unveiled.

"I understand fans frustrations but if everyone is giving 100% then you need to be patient."

Barnes believes a new far-reaching strategy is the key to Liverpool competing against vastly-richer and more successful clubs in the future.

"I don't think Liverpool have had a philosophy of how we want to play," he added.

"They've seen which players have done well at other clubs and then gone out and bought them and hoped that it works and a lot of the time it hasn't.

"With your own philosophy you don't need to necessarily look at the best players in the world - players Liverpool might not be able to afford.

"Rather you can go out and buy a player who will do a better job in your team than they do in their current side but it may not cost you a lot of money.

"Now Liverpool are at a stage where they can't get all the best players in the world so what do you do?

"You come up with a system and a vision of how you want your team to play.

"They may not be able to get [Lionel] Messi but they can get very good players and with a proper system, which I'm sure the new manager will introduce, they can be successful."

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: May 23, 2012, 08:02:11 AM »
Add former Bayern manager Louis Van Gaal to the mix... for a senior managerial position.  My personal take is that having him in the mix kinda negates them bringing in a seasoned manager, as such a manager might bristle at having to share responsibilities with him.  So much then for the Capello (and certainly Redknapp) talk.  I think it will come down to AVB and Martinez, with Martinez having the upper hand... just a feeling.

Some valid points.  Van Gaal is a safety net for if this next managerial appointment fails; he'll just come down and coach the team, if need be.  Can't see men like Rafa, Capello, or Redknapp working with him though.  They are too strong of personalities.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: May 23, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »

Some valid points.  Van Gaal is a safety net for if this next managerial appointment fails; he'll just come down and coach the team, if need be.  Can't see men like Rafa, Capello, or Redknapp working with him though.  They are too strong of personalities.

Not surprisingly... there's is word that interest in AVB might be waning.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: May 24, 2012, 11:38:44 AM »

Not surprisingly... there's is word that interest in AVB might be waning.

Another twist:  Van Gaal say he want the managerial post, cause he still itching to do the day-to-day coaching thing. I had ah feeling that was going to come out soon.  Thought about it from the moment his name was mentioned for the director post.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: May 24, 2012, 01:39:44 PM »
Another twist:  Van Gaal say he want the managerial post, cause he still itching to do the day-to-day coaching thing. I had ah feeling that was going to come out soon.  Thought about it from the moment his name was mentioned for the director post.

I not sure I want him running de show nah... and Liverpool better think twice about that appointment in a "senior managerial role" before they finalize it... and before they bring on a manager.  Martinez supposedly vacationing in the Caribbean somewhere this week, so my guess is that the formal interview will likely happen before he goes back across the pond... if it is to happen that is.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2081 on: May 24, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »

I not sure I want him running de show nah... and Liverpool better think twice about that appointment in a "senior managerial role" before they finalize it... and before they bring on a manager.  Martinez supposedly vacationing in the Caribbean somewhere this week, so my guess is that the formal interview will likely happen before he goes back across the pond... if it is to happen that is.

Whelan say Martinez flew in to Miami today to meet with Fenway.  The ball is rolling.  Thing with Van Gaal is that yuh know what yuh getting when yuh hire him:  a strong, outspoken, and possible stubborn character.  Beckenbauer said that much about him, but Bayern probably needed that kind of leadership at that point.  He has basically ruled himself out of the sporting director position, as it would make things very uncomfortable for the new coach to know that the man upstairs wanted his job. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2082 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:03 PM »
Whelan say Martinez flew in to Miami today to meet with Fenway.  The ball is rolling.  Thing with Van Gaal is that yuh know what yuh getting when yuh hire him:  a strong, outspoken, and possible stubborn character.  Beckenbauer said that much about him, but Bayern probably needed that kind of leadership at that point.  He has basically ruled himself out of the sporting director position, as it would make things very uncomfortable for the new coach to know that the man upstairs wanted his job. 

Yeah, it's being reported in the British press now.

Revisiting the kit... I have to admit it kinda starting to grow on mih.  I totally disagree with the badge change, not sure if this is just a throw-back year thing, but I prefer the "old" badge.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xryyfO_cVKc&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xryyfO_cVKc&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2083 on: May 25, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »

Yeah, it's being reported in the British press now.

Revisiting the kit... I have to admit it kinda starting to grow on mih.  I totally disagree with the badge change, not sure if this is just a throw-back year thing, but I prefer the "old" badge.<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xryyfO_cVKc&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/xryyfO_cVKc&amp;feature=related</a>

My kit on order.  Warrior did a great job with this.  Can't wait to see second and third kits.  From the reviews, the only complaints came from the Hillsborough families who complained about not being consulted about moving the Hillsborough 96 emblem.

Update:  So Martinez has reportedly asked for greater control over footballing affairs, which was the case at Wigan.  From the sound of things and news reports, Fenway seems to be trying to adopt a structure where the manager really doesn't have much much input in transfers.  That ain't go cut it.  They need to understand that that GM / coach structure that applies to American sports cannot be adopted in its entirety in football.  No way Martinez will let them just bring in players and say coach them.  He obviously embraces a flowing style of play and would need the pieces to fill the puzzle.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:42:26 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: May 25, 2012, 03:23:30 PM »
Update:  So Martinez has reportedly asked for greater control over footballing affairs, which was the case at Wigan.  From the sound of things and news reports, Fenway seems to be trying to adopt a structure where the manager really doesn't have much much input in transfers.  That ain't go cut it.  They need to understand that that GM / coach structure that applies to American sports cannot be adopted in its entirety in football.  No way Martinez will let them just bring in players and say coach them.  He obviously embraces a flowing style of play and would need the pieces to fill the puzzle.

Funny enough just yesterday I say tuh mihself is that self they trying to do.  Honestly, I think there's merit to that model though... you need someone with the ability to spot talent, but you also need someone to make the tough call where finances are concerned... someone to push back when necessary.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2085 on: May 25, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »

Funny enough just yesterday I say tuh mihself is that self they trying to do.  Honestly, I think there's merit to that model though... you need someone with the ability to spot talent, but you also need someone to make the tough call where finances are concerned... someone to push back when necessary.
Agreed. It's a situation that can work well if the manager/coach and GM can develop a good working relationship and understanding. E.g. coach/manager says I need this type of player and the GM goes out and makes it happen while consulting with the coach/manager on what he might have to give up to get it.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: May 25, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »

Agreed. It's a situation that can work well if the manager/coach and GM can develop a good working relationship and understanding. E.g. coach/manager says I need this type of player and the GM goes out and makes it happen while consulting with the coach/manager on what he might have to give up to get it.

Exactly... when coach have too much pull yuh end up with Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson on yuh hands fuh 27 million pounds.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: May 25, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »

Exactly... when coach have too much pull yuh end up with Charlie Adam and Jordan Henderson on yuh hands fuh 27 million pounds.

That's why I qualified myseld by saying "in its entirety".  There are obviously some good traits in such a set-up, as it removes the wanton fiscal irresponsibility that often occurs in the quest to recruit the best talent at all costs.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:59 PM »
I want Guardiola as coach ...

Martinez -no way....Wigan barely avoided relegation....Only good thing iz that Dennis might get ah Bligh!!

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: May 29, 2012, 04:43:59 AM »
I want Guardiola as coach ...

Martinez -no way....Wigan barely avoided relegation....Only good thing iz that Dennis might get ah Bligh!!

You see the players Martinez had to work with at Wigan??  Yuh sounding like them English LFC fans, only dazzled by big name.  Guardiola eh coaching nowhere next season, certainly not Liverpool.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:27 AM »
Reds to reveal new manager on Friday
May 29, 2012

By Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Liverpool plan to make the announcement of their new manager on Friday, ESPN understands. They have whittled their list of candidates down to Wigan's Roberto Martinez and Swansea's Brendan Rodgers, after a thorough search for the right man to replace Kenny Dalglish.

Brendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez
GettyImagesBrendan Rodgers and Roberto Martinez are favourites to land the Liverpool job.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins met Rodgers on Tuesday to discuss his future at the club, with Rodgers believed to be interested in discussing the Anfield job with the Reds' owners.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan told ESPN that his manager is back in England but he is yet to speak to him. Informed that Liverpool are keen on Rodgers, Whelan said: "I hope they sign him but I have not heard from my manager yet."

Martinez had looked the clear favourite to be named Liverpool manager but his concerns over the mooted appointment of Louis van Gaal as sporting director, and his expected control over transfers, have swung a two-horse race back towards Rodgers.

However, Jenkins has shown marked reluctance to even grant Rodgers permission to speak to Liverpool, whereas Whelan has fulfilled his pledge to Martinez to allow him to go to a big club, should he wish to do so.

Amid growing speculation, Jenkins said of Rodgers on Monday: "We would like to confirm that there has been no contact from Liverpool and nothing has changed since our previous statement on the issue."

Fed up with the procrastinations of Liverpool, Whelan has given Martinez until Thursday to make his decision. Liverpool will take the next 48 hours to finalise their plans and an announcement is expected to be delivered on Friday.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1081630/liverpool-to-reveal-new-manager-on-friday?cc=5901

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: May 29, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »
Interesting... I thought Rogers wasn't interested?  ??? ??? ???
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: May 29, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
Interesting... I thought Rogers wasn't interested?  ??? ??? ???

Looks like FSG doesn't want to make concessions to Martinez on footballing matters, so they tap back to Rogers.  You can't realistically expect a manager to have little or no input in recruiting of players.  Even Mourinho realized that, albeit belatedly, and he fought to get more control from Valdano, who eventually resigned. 

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: May 30, 2012, 09:59:56 AM »
Looks like Brendan Rodgers is LFC next manager!

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: May 30, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
Very disappointed with this hire... hope he proves my concerns to be unwarranted in the end.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: May 30, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Very disappointed with this hire... hope he proves my concerns to be unwarranted in the end.

Well, he's of the same mold as Martinez: insistent that his teams play attractive football from back to front.  They were caught a few times this season being too cheeky; for example, the loss to Man U at Swansea was because they were trying to work the ball out of the back.  Swansea have been a refreshing side to watch this season.  He'll do much better at Liverpool.  Another one of Mourinho's students who has branched out on his own and has done well.  My only concern is his lack of European pedigree, and that is where a seasoned coach now sporting director will come in to put a hand over his shoulder and mentor him.  This is obviously a long-run appointment, but I think the team will be fine.  If this set-up fails to bring results in 5 years, there'll be calls for Fenway to sell the team to another group that can advance the club's ambitions.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:35:41 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #2096 on: May 30, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »
I like Martinez, and agree that he has done well with little to work with at Wigan but I not seeing how he much better than Rodgers based on their similar achievements.

Swansea do better this year than any of Martinez’s Wigan teams with Championship players. It will be interseting to see if Wigan’s end of season from was relegation battling or the sign that the players turn a corner.

One area where Rodgers appears better than Martinez is recruitment. Martinez show a real failure to get a decent striker in at Wigan for two years now, including wasting 6M on Boselli two years ago. A lot of Swansea is still Martinez players but Rodgers buying Graham this year was a much shrewder buy and Sigurdsson is better than any player that Martinez ever pick up (although Moses could prove to be as good over time).

Add the fact that Rodgers getting mostly British players to play ball while Martinez’ teamis mostly  foreigners and Rodgers might be a better fit for turning around Liverpool’s current squad.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
I like Martinez, and agree that he has done well with little to work with at Wigan but I not seeing how he much better than Rodgers based on their similar achievements.

Swansea do better this year than any of Martinez’s Wigan teams with Championship players. It will be interseting to see if Wigan’s end of season from was relegation battling or the sign that the players turn a corner.

One area where Rodgers appears better than Martinez is recruitment. Martinez show a real failure to get a decent striker in at Wigan for two years now, including wasting 6M on Boselli two years ago. A lot of Swansea is still Martinez players but Rodgers buying Graham this year was a much shrewder buy and Sigurdsson is better than any player that Martinez ever pick up (although Moses could prove to be as good over time).

Add the fact that Rodgers getting mostly British players to play ball while Martinez’ teamis mostly  foreigners and Rodgers might be a better fit for turning around Liverpool’s current squad.

JDB, one of your best posts in a while. ;)  Was thinking the same thing today: Rodgers brought a team up from Championship, didn't splash any cash last summer, and finished comfortably above Martinez, and he did it with  a British core of players, playing a VERY attractive brand of football.  I remember watching these fellas knock all Arsenal when they beat them at Liberty Stadium.  I just shake my head and say this fella doing something right.  Normally, Championship teams come up with a "not to lose" approach, rather than an "attack to win" stance, but this fellas was insistent on playing that brand of ball, and did not change his philosophy at all all season long.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: May 30, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »

JDB, one of your best posts in a while. ;)  Was thinking the same thing today: Rodgers brought a team up from Championship, didn't splash any cash last summer, and finished comfortably above Martinez, and he did it with  a British core of players, playing a VERY attractive brand of football.  I remember watching these fellas knock all Arsenal when they beat them at Liberty Stadium.  I just shake my head and say this fella doing something right.  Normally, Championship teams come up with a "not to lose" approach, rather than an "attack to win" stance, but this fellas was insistent on playing that brand of ball, and did not change his philosophy at all all season long.
Don't forget that Rodgers started with a squad that was already accustomed to playing that style under Martinez, while Martinez had to start over again at Wigan.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: May 30, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »

Don't forget that Rodgers started with a squad that was already accustomed to playing that style under Martinez, while Martinez had to start over again at Wigan.

True, but he's been at Wigan for three years.  Shows how much time it takes to impart your philosophy throughtout a club structure.  You're probably right, in that Rodgers inherited the squad more equipped to adopt his coaching philosophy and style of play.  Steve Bruce doesn't really play attractive football, and Martinez was basically reconstructing that squad.

1]; } ?>