March 28, 2024, 01:02:43 PM

Author Topic: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread  (Read 460079 times)

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
Re: "You'll Never Walk Alone" - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #2880 on: December 21, 2014, 01:48:26 PM »
Liverpool collect dramatic point vs. Arsenal behind Skrtel's equalizer
Martin Skrtel powered home a header deep into stoppage time to earn 10-man Liverpool a 2-2 draw against Arsenal in the Premier League on Sunday.
A week after failing to take a host of chances in the defeat at Manchester United it seemed a pattern was emerging after Arsenal recovered from Philippe Coutinho's opener to lead with goals from Mathieu Debuchy and Olivier Giroud. The dismissal of substitute Fabio Borini in the second of nine minutes of stoppage time - directly as a result of a head injury to Skrtel - appeared to have put paid to the Reds' chances only for the Slovakia international to power home a header, thus forcing a draw.
It was celebrated like a winner and who knows how pivotal a goal it may turn out to be in the context of a season in which inconsistency has been the only consistent factor for the Merseysiders. Arsenal can realistically have few complaints having been completely outplayed in the first half and some of the second but the point undoubtedly meant much more to their visitors, who have now strung together three decent performances in a week.
It may not have been the devastating first 20 minutes seen on this ground back in March when a stunned Gunners found themselves 4-0 down but the first half was probably as well as Liverpool had played all season. The old fast-paced pressing and tempo had returned led by the unlikely figures of Lazar Markovic and Coutinho, who aside from snapping at the heels of their opponents were providing a much-needed injection of attacking thrust, with the latter an early free-kick which Steven Gerrard could not capitalise from.
Adam Lallana, whose movement was cleverly providing the link between midfield and attack, and Markovic both had chances as Liverpool's dominance of possession continued to produce opportunities but the former fired over and Wojciech Szczesny denied the latter. Some of the pre-match billing had centred around comparisons between Alexis Sanchez, the striker Liverpool wanted as a Luis Suarez replacement in the summer, and Raheem Sterling, the man currently being asked to deputise in the injured Daniel Sturridge's absence, but neither had much impact in the first half.
The threat of Sterling's pace kept the visitors' defence on their toes but he had only one real run at them which teed up Markovic to curl over with a first-time shot. Sanchez, scorer of 14 goals this season, was virtually anonymous but his most significant contribution came when he won and then took the free-kick which led to Arsenal's equaliser with virtually the last touch of the half.
Liverpool had just gone ahead through Coutinho's second goal of the season, a richly-deserved effort for both the team and individual. Giroud gave the ball away to Jordan Henderson who picked out his Brazilian team-mate on the edge of the area and he shifted the ball onto his right foot before firing in off the far post.
That appeared to be that but in added time Debuchy outjumped Skrtel after Mertesacker and Mathieu Flamini, fortunate not to escape a second yellow card for catching Lallana in the face, both won headers from Sanchez's free-kick. The delay for a nasty cut to Skrtel's head caused by the accidental boot of Giroud affected the flow of play early in the second half but the pace picked up again when Szczesny's ill-advised charge out of goal saw Sterling cross for Gerrard to loop over a diving header.
But while Liverpool were missing their chances there was nothing wrong with Arsenal's cutting edge and from a counter-attack down their left Giroud exchanged passes with Santi Cazorla to guide a first-time shot through the legs of Brad Jones. Two efforts on target, two goals scored. It appeared to be a classic snatch-and-grab from Arsenal. When Szczesny tipped over substitute Fabio Borini's header and turned aside Sterling's shot it only further highlighted the host's previous issues up front.
Borini's second yellow card for a high challenge on Cazorla, having already been booked for throwing the ball away, just added further insult. But with two minutes of the additional time remaining Skrtel powered home Lallana's corner.

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/story/liverpool-earn-dramatic-point-arsenal-behind-martin-skrtel-late-header-match-report-122114

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: January 04, 2015, 01:18:26 AM »
Class...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ff-bN1xDPas" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ff-bN1xDPas</a>

YNWA  :beermug:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: February 19, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Poor comment from Gerard.  :yellowcard:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: February 19, 2015, 09:51:51 PM »

Premature statement on your part... probably best to read/hear the quote in context rather than making a meal out of nothing.  This entire controversy is a tempest in a teapot and Rodgers was right to treat it as such.  Balotelli is the best penalty taker on the team, probably second only to Gerrard.  If Gerrard's not on the pitch then Balotelli kicks ten times out of ten.  End of.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: February 19, 2015, 10:10:11 PM »

Premature statement on your part... probably best to read/hear the quote in context rather than making a meal out of nothing.  This entire controversy is a tempest in a teapot and Rodgers was right to treat it as such.  Balotelli is the best penalty taker on the team, probably second only to Gerrard.  If Gerrard's not on the pitch then Balotelli kicks ten times out of ten.  End of.

Premature statement on my part  ??? Well I saw the interview and read the staement. What more context is there?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: February 20, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »
Well if yuh say huh saw the interview fuh you self...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: February 20, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »
There are two sides to the coin here. One side shows that Mario is damn confident when comes to taking pks. Give me, I'll take. The other side is following tradition. Don't step out of place. Have manners. You will take the pk when the captain beacons. But Mario don't play by those rules. What if Henderson had told Mario to go ahead take the pk, and Mario had said, nah you take it, I not ready yet. The pundits would have said Mario is not the right person for 'Pool. He can't be depended on.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: February 20, 2015, 10:55:15 AM »
There are two sides to the coin here. One side shows that Mario is damn confident when comes to taking pks. Give me, I'll take. The other side is following tradition. Don't step out of place. Have manners. You will take the pk when the captain beacons. But Mario don't play by those rules. What if Henderson had told Mario to go ahead take the pk, and Mario had said, nah you take it, I not ready yet. The pundits would have said Mario is not the right person for 'Pool. He can't be depended on.

You have to do what's in the best interest of the team... every captain should put that first.  Balotelli is 27 of 29 in his career and second to only Gerrard in the pecking order at Liverpool.  As long as he's on the pitch then he takes the penalty.  Henderson's record as a penalty kick taker is... ?  Exactly.

Having seen the video of Gerrard's comments and having read Rodgers' comments on the issue, Gerrard was clearly out of order for weighing in with criticism.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
Actions for so in the game. Pool 1-0. Most wicked shot by Coutinho.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:50 AM »
3 good penalty calls refused and possible red
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: February 22, 2015, 11:01:35 AM »
What a first half.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: February 22, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
southampton forget how to shoot
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: February 22, 2015, 01:05:02 PM »
The first penalty shout was weak... good non-decision by the ref.  The second one, hard to argue with it... or for the foul by Fonte on Sterling for that matter, neither given.  That wasn't a handball by Mignolet... or in the least, would have been very harsh if called.  Good win by 'Pool.  Three points out of third place, amazingly.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: February 22, 2015, 04:37:48 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kALCy2IXfYU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kALCy2IXfYU</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 01, 2015, 07:58:21 AM »
If you do nothing else today... check out Liverpool's two goals against Manchester City, especially Coutinho's curling winner.

Wow!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BSepnu2to9M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BSepnu2to9M</a>
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:00:25 AM by Bakes »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: &quot;You'll Never Walk Alone&quot; - de Official Liverpool thread
« Reply #2895 on: March 17, 2015, 01:14:54 AM »
We rolling! Ironically, it's good D and great GKing that won us the three points versus a spirited Swansea.  Sunday will be key to a top-4 finish.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: March 17, 2015, 01:15:41 AM »
We rolling! Ironically, it's good D and great GKing that won us the three points versus a spirited Swansea.  Sunday will be key to a top-4 finish.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: March 17, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »

Big match on Sunday, engine humming nicely.  We haven't lost and we haven't conceded an away goal since that loss to United back in December, so there should be enough motivation for us to get some revenge and keep the streaks going.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: March 17, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »
Two words: lucky bastards. Make that four: unfortunate Swansea.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: March 17, 2015, 01:29:52 PM »

Everybody lucky at one point or another... Liverpool also had a shot clip the upright in extra time.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: March 17, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »
Is Can listed as a defender or an enforcer.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: March 17, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.  That's why we have a GK to bail us out.  Swansea didn't score - bottom line! Brendan Rodgers showed his tactical acuteness and switched things up at half time, and we controlled the 2nd half.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: March 17, 2015, 01:36:15 PM »

Is Can listed as a defender or an enforcer.

Really talented player.  Let him carry on...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: March 17, 2015, 06:10:22 PM »

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.  That's why we have a GK to bail us out.  Swansea didn't score - bottom line! Brendan Rodgers showed his tactical acuteness and switched things up at half time, and we controlled the 2nd half.

Re: the second half and Rodgers

What tactical nous was necessary? :) Liverpool was oscillating between playing tata and not playing at all. Swansea with WB not transferred to Man City would have had allyuh purged.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: March 17, 2015, 06:15:55 PM »

What tactical nous was necessary? :) Liverpool was oscillating between playing tata and not playing at all. Swansea with WB not transferred to Man City would have had allyuh purged.
Bottom line: Liverpool found a way to win, when they were not at their best.  That's what good teams do.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: March 21, 2015, 05:26:28 AM »

Bottom line: Liverpool found a way to win, when they were not at their best.  That's what good teams do.

Better stated: Swansea found a way to lose ...?

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: March 21, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »
You obviously ant-Liverpool, so go on.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: March 21, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »
You obviously ant-Liverpool, so go on.

Actually, not. Just an overstatement to state that Liverpool found a way to win.

Swansea is a team I have enjoyed watching this season. I've found them to possess balanced qualities that inure to entertaining football. This match was the first match I've seen of them since Boney's departure. For my money, Liverpool wasn't convincing when they should have been, and as much as we both like Rodgers, tactically he got it wrong when he should have been assertive, positive and more enterprising in the first half. Even with Swansea's solid rendition, it was clear that a better applied Liverpool would walk away with the points.

I believe somewhere in this thread I mention having a renovated respect for Liverpool after a recent visit. I'm just less empassioned than a fan.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: March 21, 2015, 05:23:22 PM »
Actually, not. Just an overstatement to state that Liverpool found a way to win.

Swansea is a team I have enjoyed watching this season. I've found them to possess balanced qualities that inure to entertaining football. This match was the first match I've seen of them since Boney's departure. For my money, Liverpool wasn't convincing when they should have been, and as much as we both like Rodgers, tactically he got it wrong when he should have been assertive, positive and more enterprising in the first half. Even with Swansea's solid rendition, it was clear that a better applied Liverpool would walk away with the points.

I believe somewhere in this thread I mention having a renovated respect for Liverpool after a recent visit. I'm just less empassioned than a fan.

I have so far abstained, but the pushback to your criticism has less to do with 'passion' or fan affiliation, and more to do with the inaccuracy of your critique.  Liverpool's first half failures had less to do with the team not being "assertive, positive and more enterprising" and more to do with the fact that Swansea had the tactical advantage in midfield due to the way Liverpool was set up.  We came out in a 3-4-2-1 formation with Sterling and Coutinho behind Sturridge up top.  As a result we were having problems linking the play from midfield to the frontling. 

At the half Rodgers swapped Lallana and Sterling, putting the quicker Sterling on the right wing so that his pace and movement could further distress Swansea's backline.  The key to making it work was Lallana dropping to the middle to help link the attack.  Preoccupation with Sterling gave him more room to work just inside the swansea half.  So full credit to Swansea for seizing the initiative at the start of the game, but full credit to Rodgers for finding a tweak (as he usually does) to effect a turn around after the half.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: March 21, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »
Thank you, Bakes.  To my recollection, it was a tweak in the midfield that gave us more control in the second half.  We basically shortened the pitch and squeezed Swansea's ability to play out of the back in the second half.

1]; } ?>